George Hill Discussing One-Year Deal With Lakers

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

George Hill Discussing One-Year Deal With Lakers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jul 3, 2017 5:24 pm

The Los Angeles Lakers and George Hill are meeting to discuss a one-year deal.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Re: George Hill Discussing One-Year Deal With Lakers 

Post#2 » by macNcheese3 » Mon Jul 3, 2017 5:30 pm

Nothing agaisnt Hill what's so ever I actually wanted him back in Utah- he was oft injured but played well when was healthy. He turned down that extension I believe 65 million. I thought Lonzo would start in LA- is George going to honestly come off the bench or play as a 2 guard?
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#3 » by 12footrim » Mon Jul 3, 2017 5:33 pm

macNcheese3 wrote:Nothing agaisnt Hill what's so ever I actually wanted him back in Utah- he was oft injured but played well when was healthy. He turned down that extension I believe 65 million. I thought Lonzo would start in LA- is George going to honestly come off the bench or play as a 2 guard?

4 year about 80 million he turned down.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Bobalob
Bench Warmer
And1: 882

Post#4 » by Bobalob » Mon Jul 3, 2017 5:45 pm

You're 31 and turned down 4 years 80 mill in favor of a 1 year deal with LA?? ...Fire your agent.
ryguy613
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,512

Post#5 » by ryguy613 » Mon Jul 3, 2017 6:06 pm

Not sure why Hill would really want this but if its true I love it for the Lakers. Hill can flat out play... and I like the idea of him sliding over to the 2 spot and letting him and ball start in the back court.
macNcheese3
RealGM

Post#6 » by macNcheese3 » Mon Jul 3, 2017 6:09 pm

They offered him that big extension even though he was hurt. Man oh man. The market for him is horrible I guess.
Ddent12
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#7 » by Ddent12 » Mon Jul 3, 2017 6:18 pm

The Lakers are smart. All these 1 year deals they are proposing will give them bird rights to resign the players if they do well, trade them to a contender, trade for someone wanting an expiring contract, or just let them go. And if Lonza makes the players around him better this is a plus for them. It just comes down to if the player wants a one year stay in LA ..... and it puts them on a contract year of playing well for the next contract.... just dont get hurt is the key to that
macNcheese3
RealGM

Post#8 » by macNcheese3 » Mon Jul 3, 2017 6:27 pm

I don't think Bird rights would apply here. Correct me if I'm wrong.
jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#9 » by jakebernat » Mon Jul 3, 2017 6:29 pm

Pretty sure us folk in the basketball universe call an "off-ball point guard" a "shooting guard".
Adam Stern
Sixth Man
And1: 1,766

Post#10 » by Adam Stern » Mon Jul 3, 2017 6:31 pm

Was really hoping he'd make his way back to the Spurs. Seem like such a natural fit.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#11 » by Sam195 » Mon Jul 3, 2017 6:52 pm

Bobalob wrote:You're 31 and turned down 4 years 80 mill in favor of a 1 year deal with LA?? ...Fire your agent.

A bunch of players think they should fire their agents but they should actually fire the nbapa president. Adam Silver warned her it was mutually beneficial for players and owners to smooth the salary cap instead of short term spikes when the new tv money was accounted for. It would have left a lower salary cap floor for small market and rebuilding teams while limiting the spending of mid market teams who are trying to compete. The players would have benefited from the revenue being shared more equally among them through multiple off seasons but instead they stayed with the spike last year and guys like Mozgov, Deng,ryan anderson, eric gordon, etc - midtier guys got overpaid. The stars will always get their money but the mid tier guys like George Hill are getting shafted. Even Dion Waiters who had a great bounce back year is unsigned when guys like tyler johnson and alan crabbe robbed the brinks truck last summer.

A union is suppose to represent the interests of all players bench guys and superstars. However the stars like CP3 and Lebron have hijacked the executive representation of all players promoting their superstar interests like the over-38 rule to keep superstars further overpaid past their prime and the new veteran designation that gets guys like Curry and Westbrook the biggest contracts even though they have played less than 10 years in the league - yes it makes sense from a pure business perspective but when those guys make more there is less for their teams to spend on mid tier guys who then determine the market for how much non-contending teams should spend on mid tier players in general.

Lebron is also an executive in a union and he's making public attacks against the league about why we have a salary cap on twitter even though both parties players and owners agreed on a deal that is in effect. This is bad faith bargaining 101 and if he was an exec in a union for an actual company not a sport their would be a coup to get him impeached. I guess there is a lot more lebron has in common with trump than he even realizes.
macNcheese3
RealGM

Post#12 » by macNcheese3 » Mon Jul 3, 2017 7:03 pm

Adam Stern wrote:Was really hoping he'd make his way back to the Spurs. Seem like such a natural fit.

I agree- but they comitted to Mills, he's been a solid system guy for them. 4 years younger then Hill and he will play in any capacity they ask him to. No room for Hill now as Tony Tony is still putting up shots.
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#13 » by TKainZero » Mon Jul 3, 2017 7:08 pm

I would love this signing.
Yes yes yes

Big money 1 year

I think the fit with lonzo could be awesome
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
Jon Snow
Junior
And1: 99

Post#14 » by Jon Snow » Mon Jul 3, 2017 7:21 pm

macNcheese3 wrote:Nothing agaisnt Hill what's so ever I actually wanted him back in Utah- he was oft injured but played well when was healthy. He turned down that extension I believe 65 million. I thought Lonzo would start in LA- is George going to honestly come off the bench or play as a 2 guard?

If he ends up in LA, he will definitely start alongside Ball.
"The more you give a king, the more he wants. We are walking on a bridge of ice with an abyss on either side. Pleasing one king is difficult enough, pleasing two is hardly possible." - Jon Snow, A Feast for Crows
Sugaman
Freshman
And1: 3

Post#15 » by Sugaman » Mon Jul 3, 2017 7:57 pm

macNcheese3 wrote:I don't think Bird rights would apply here. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct in this case since he is leaving via free agency. His "Bird Rights" resets to zero.
ArtistNBA
Junior
And1: 98

Post#16 » by ArtistNBA » Mon Jul 3, 2017 9:03 pm

Why not resign with UTAH? Wonder if this effect Hayward decision because they are good friends
Stay Classy my friend
Fido
Veteran
And1: 35

Post#17 » by Fido » Mon Jul 3, 2017 9:33 pm

ArtistNBA wrote:Why not resign with UTAH? Wonder if this effect Hayward decision because they are good friends

Most of the space that would have been Hill's deal in Utah was consumed by taking on Ricky Rubio. So the remaining cap room is for Hayward and then we'll see where things are.
Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Post#18 » by Hoopzilla » Mon Jul 3, 2017 9:42 pm

Sam195 wrote:Lebron is also an executive in a union and he's making public attacks against the league about why we have a salary cap on twitter even though both parties players and owners agreed on a deal that is in effect. This is bad faith bargaining 101 and if he was an exec in a union for an actual company not a sport their would be a coup to get him impeached. I guess there is a lot more lebron has in common with trump than he even realizes.

Lebron is basically the GM of the Cavs. I think that teams overpaid salary mess speaks for itself. Lebron would like no salary cap so he can go to Steve Ballmer and get him to just bring in all the all star starters to play for the Clippers. As Lebron has stated before, he would have all the best players on one team if he could. As an executive, Lebron has already shown flashes of dethroning Phil Jackson as the worst executive in the history of professional sports. There is a reason nobody wants that job with the Cavs right now. They don't want to deal with Lebron's crap now and they don't want to clean up the mess he will leave behind next year, since we all know he is leaving. This guy cherry picks so much it's pathetic.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#19 » by Sam195 » Mon Jul 3, 2017 10:09 pm

Hoopzilla wrote:
Sam195 wrote:Lebron is also an executive in a union and he's making public attacks against the league about why we have a salary cap on twitter even though both parties players and owners agreed on a deal that is in effect. This is bad faith bargaining 101 and if he was an exec in a union for an actual company not a sport their would be a coup to get him impeached. I guess there is a lot more lebron has in common with trump than he even realizes.

Lebron is basically the GM of the Cavs. I think that teams overpaid salary mess speaks for itself. Lebron would like no salary cap so he can go to Steve Ballmer and get him to just bring in all the all star starters to play for the Clippers. As Lebron has stated before, he would have all the best players on one team if he could. As an executive, Lebron has already shown flashes of dethroning Phil Jackson as the worst executive in the history of professional sports. There is a reason nobody wants that job with the Cavs right now. They don't want to deal with Lebron's crap now and they don't want to clean up the mess he will leave behind next year, since we all know he is leaving. This guy cherry picks so much it's pathetic.

Ballmer is the richest owner but he isn't throwing his money around - CP3 requested a trade after Ballmer refused to max him out at 5 years and give him a no-trade clause because he did not see CP3 being as productive as he is now 2-3 years into the deal. And if CP3's production declines or he requests a trade cause the clippers as a team declines but has a no-trade clause than Ballmer would be inheriting a similar situation that Knicks have with melo. Ballmer is the richest owner but this is like the first time since Jerry Reinsdorf refused to pay Michael Jordan that an owner let his superstar go cause he didn't believe in him long term.
gmehl1977
Sophomore
And1: 42

Post#20 » by gmehl1977 » Mon Jul 3, 2017 10:59 pm

jakebernat wrote:Pretty sure us folk in the basketball universe call an "off-ball point guard" a "shooting guard".

I actually thought they called them combo guards but I guess that mainly applies to the ones that can't play either position well.

Return to Wiretap Discussion