ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Mets Thread

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

treiz
RealGM
And1: 564

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1421 » by treiz » Wed Jul 5, 2017 5:53 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:At this point Id take players to be named later for some of those guys, just let the kids get some experience. No reason why Smith/Rosario aren't up already.

This, we might not get a lot of value back but at least we can start giving the young guys some reps.
Battery
Analyst
And1: 158

Post#1422 » by Battery » Wed Jul 5, 2017 10:16 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Battery wrote:I think our biggest concern right now is why the hell are we getting so many injuries?

I believe I posted an article on this a couple pages back (?). The Mets hired some football training coach who had our guy bulk up. :banghead:

Yes I commented on that article, but that is still out biggest concern right now. (Other than Jeffy of course) Sandy better get a clue and hire someone who understands how to train BASEBALL players. :banghead:
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,442

Post#1423 » by NYKnickerbocker » Thu Jul 6, 2017 3:12 am

we suck, pack up shop, trade all impending FA'S call up the yout. and try to salvage harvey for next year
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#1424 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jul 6, 2017 4:13 am

NYKnickerbocker wrote:we suck, pack up shop, trade all impending FA'S call up the yout. and try to salvage harvey for next year

Tank?
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM

Post#1425 » by NYKnickerbocker » Thu Jul 6, 2017 1:21 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
NYKnickerbocker wrote:we suck, pack up shop, trade all impending FA'S call up the yout. and try to salvage harvey for next year

Tank?
yep. the giants are probably gunna continue to bottom out and go draft maddison bumgarner or buster posey''s heir apparent. while we are probably gunna go on some ill fated run to finish the season 82-80and get a middling pick.

get some decent prospects for bruce and Co.reload for next year
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1426 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jul 6, 2017 9:19 pm

Battery wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Battery wrote:I think our biggest concern right now is why the hell are we getting so many injuries?

I believe I posted an article on this a couple pages back (?). The Mets hired some football training coach who had our guy bulk up. :banghead:

Yes I commented on that article, but that is still out biggest concern right now. (Other than Jeffy of course) Sandy better get a clue and hire someone who understands how to train BASEBALL players. :banghead:

Completely agree. I just don't get how the F Sandy brings in a football conditioning coach to train our pitchers, much less anybody else. Makes no sense.
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#1427 » by reub » Thu Jul 6, 2017 10:23 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Battery wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Completely agree. I just don't get how the F Sandy brings in a football conditioning coach to train our pitchers, much less anybody else. Makes no sense.

The only football conditioning coach that we should use to train our pitchers is the one who trains Tom Brady.
Battery
Analyst

Post#1428 » by Battery » Thu Jul 6, 2017 10:33 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Battery wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Like Syndergaard really needed to bulk up? He already consistently throws 98-100 MPH. Whatever happened to ball movement? I miss the splitfinger fastball and forkball that guys like Bruce Sutter and Mike Scott would throw. That s**t was nasty. Then you had Gregg Maddox throwing those fastballs that would start 3 feet outside and break over the black.

I also miss Doc. The 80's were the best. I don't see any bulk on Doc. Everyone back then was lean.

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1429 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Jul 6, 2017 10:41 pm

Battery wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Battery wrote:

Like Syndergaard really needed to bulk up? He already consistently throws 98-100 MPH. Whatever happened to ball movement? I miss the splitfinger fastball and forkball that guys like Bruce Sutter and Mike Scott would throw. That s**t was nasty. Then you had Gregg Maddox throwing those fastballs that would start 3 feet outside and break over the black.

I also miss Doc. The 80's were the best. I don't see any bulk on Doc. Everyone back then was lean.

None of the guys that threw between 200 and 300 innings every year had these problems. I grew up with Seaver, Koozman, Ryan, Jenkins, Gibson, Marichal, Carlton, Blylevin, the Perry Brothers, Sutton, et al.

This is BS.
Battery
Analyst

Post#1430 » by Battery » Thu Jul 6, 2017 10:58 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Battery wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

None of the guys that threw between 200 and 300 innings every year had these problems. I grew up with Seaver, Koozman, Ryan, Jenkins, Gibson, Marichal, Carlton, Blylevin, the Perry Brothers, Sutton, et al.

This is BS.

I got to see Nolan Ryan pitch when he was with the Angels against the Yankees and he struck out the side in the first inning. Completely dominant looked like he had no-hitter stuff. Had to come out after the first inning because I think he had a sore hamstring. Then I saw Ryan in the 80's when he was with Houston, same thing but this time against the Mets. Was completely dominant but had to leave the game in the third inning. I saw Seaver pitch a 2 hit shutout against the Phillies but that was in 1983 when he briefly came back to the Mets. Saw Carlton pitch against the Mets at the Vet. Mike Schmidt hit a bomb in that game.

Second baseball game I ever went to I saw Vida Blue in his first season with SF. I think he beat the Mets 3-2. Baseball was so much better before steroids. The games were quicker and the players looked like real people, not bulked up freaks.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1431 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Jul 7, 2017 6:33 pm

Battery wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Battery wrote:

This is BS.

I got to see Nolan Ryan pitch when he was with the Angels against the Yankees and he struck out the side in the first inning. Completely dominant looked like he had no-hitter stuff. Had to come out after the first inning because I think he had a sore hamstring. Then I saw Ryan in the 80's when he was with Houston, same thing but this time against the Mets. Was completely dominant but had to leave the game in the third inning. I saw Seaver pitch a 2 hit shutout against the Phillies but that was in 1983 when he briefly came back to the Mets. Saw Carlton pitch against the Mets at the Vet. Mike Schmidt hit a bomb in that game.

Second baseball game I ever went to I saw Vida Blue in his first season with SF. I think he beat the Mets 3-2. Baseball was so much better before steroids. The games were quicker and the players looked like real people, not bulked up freaks.

You get around, don't you? :D

I saw Seaver vs. Gibson at Shea. Seaver didn't have it that night, but Gibson did! Mets lost 5-2.

I saw Seaver vs. Larry Dierker. Seaver pitched 9 innings of 1-run ball but the game sent into extras and Bob Aspromonte hit a walk-off HR for the 'Stros. Mets lost 2-1

I saw Juan Marichal vs. Jim McAndrew. Can't remember what happened that game as I was traumatized after a lady came up to me after I bought my first Mr. Mets bobblehead and ask to see it. When I showed it to her, she grabbed it and ran off with me (11 years old at the time) chased after her. Thankfully, there were some cops nearby and they got it back for me. I still have that bobblehead today.

Oh, and I saw vintage Doc pitch 8 innings of shutout ball versus the Dodgers one Friday night during his 24-3 season (or whatever his record was). He threw 8 innings of 2 or 3 hit ball, 0 BBs, 16 Ks.

This was fun!
Battery
Analyst

Post#1432 » by Battery » Sun Jul 9, 2017 1:13 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Battery wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

This is BS.

You get around, don't you? :D

I saw Seaver vs. Gibson at Shea. Seaver didn't have it that night, but Gibson did! Mets lost 5-2.

I saw Seaver vs. Larry Dierker. Seaver pitched 9 innings of 1-run ball but the game sent into extras and Bob Aspromonte hit a walk-off HR for the 'Stros. Mets lost 2-1

I saw Juan Marichal vs. Jim McAndrew. Can't remember what happened that game as I was traumatized after a lady came up to me after I bought my first Mr. Mets bobblehead and ask to see it. When I showed it to her, she grabbed it and ran off with me (11 years old at the time) chased after her. Thankfully, there were some cops nearby and they got it back for me. I still have that bobblehead today.

Oh, and I saw vintage Doc pitch 8 innings of shutout ball versus the Dodgers one Friday night during his 24-3 season (or whatever his record was). He threw 8 innings of 2 or 3 hit ball, 0 BBs, 16 Ks.

This was fun!

I was at that Mets-Dodgers game. If I remember correctly, someone threw a quarter at Tommy Lasorda when he was walking back to the dugout after making a pitching change. I was also at the game against the Cubs in 1984 when Doc threw his only 1 hitter for the Mets. The guy sitting next to me was so drunk he was throwing up in his beer cup and kept on drinking. ewwww

My parents got divorced n 1979 and lucky for me my mom married a Mets fan who had season tickets. Until then I was more of Yankees fan because the Mets were so abysmal. But I still liked going to Mets games even when they stunk because I loved baseball. I dumped the Yankees for good in 1981 after Steinslobber fired Bob Lemon and have passionately hated them since. :D

I like reading about your times at Shea because you are little older than me and have experiences I never got to see. I wish I got to see Gibson and Marichal, Sandy Koufax, too.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1433 » by reub » Sun Jul 9, 2017 3:53 am

Brandon Nimmo has a partially collapsed lung which mirrors our partially collapsed season.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1434 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jul 9, 2017 6:28 am

reub wrote:Brandon Nimmo has a partially collapsed lung which mirrors our partially collapsed season.

Then I hate to see what's in store for us after we've been mathematically eliminated. :o
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM

Post#1435 » by NYKnickerbocker » Sun Jul 9, 2017 3:52 pm

Almost crashed my car from laughter when I heard the injury lol

Wtf else can take one of our players down

Spinal stenosis
Blood clots
Collapsed lungs

Wouldn't be surprised if the reason Harvey is out is cause he caught that super gonorrhoea
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1436 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Jul 9, 2017 4:03 pm

NYKnickerbocker wrote:Almost crashed my car from laughter when I heard the injury lol

Spinal stenosis
Blood clots
Collapsed lungs

Wouldn't be surprised if the reason Harvey is out is cause he caught that super gonorrhoea

The Bubonic Plague anybody?
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1437 » by reub » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:45 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
NYKnickerbocker wrote:Almost crashed my car from laughter when I heard the injury lol

Spinal stenosis
Blood clots
Collapsed lungs

The Bubonic Plague anybody?

I hear that can be rather nasty.
prolific96
Junior
And1: 118

Post#1438 » by prolific96 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:11 pm

Would love to get my hands on either Christian Yelich or Dee Gordon now that it looks like the Marlins will be holding there annual sale.
Battery
Analyst

Post#1439 » by Battery » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:47 pm

prolific96 wrote:Would love to get my hands on either Christian Yelich or Dee Gordon now that it looks like the Marlins will be holding there annual sale.

We have nothing to trade for Yelich and TJ Rivera is looking like a good player so no need for Gordon.
prolific96
Junior
And1: 118

Post#1440 » by prolific96 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:36 pm

Battery wrote:
prolific96 wrote:Would love to get my hands on either Christian Yelich or Dee Gordon now that it looks like the Marlins will be holding there annual sale.

We have nothing to trade for Yelich and TJ Rivera is looking like a good player so no need for Gordon.

The Mets need speed and defense. TJ aint providing any of that. I like TJ and he'll probably hit a little bit but he's a utility guy.

The Mets need to do something at 2B, 3B, CF and relief. We have a ton of money coming off but the 2018 FA class is terrible for the most part. Sandy is going to have to be aggressive and make some trades.

Return to New York Knicks