RealGM
And1: 4,790

Re: Ricky Rubio #9 

Post#1001 » by KGdaBom » Wed Jul 5, 2017 10:23 pm

natureguy wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
natureguy wrote:
and ultimately the wolves got a late first round pick and salary dump

Which turned into Jeff Teague and a first round pick which may turn into Jeff Teague and CJ Miles. Either of those is vastly superior to Rose.

i agree the late first is better than derrick rose, but that still doesn't say much for a guy in his prime on a good contract..

You have to look at the big picture which you didn't. We not only got a lottery protected first round pick but we got cap space which was used for Teague. I think Teague and the first round pick or if that first round pick becomes CJ Miles that is pretty solid compensation.
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,461

Post#1002 » by guest81 » Thu Jul 6, 2017 2:03 am

I think a lot of fans are going to freak out when they see a Wolves point guard be able to beat his man one on one and finish with a contested layup. Hasn't happened in quite a while
Quentin
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,203

Post#1003 » by Quentin » Thu Jul 6, 2017 2:08 am

firyGM wrote:It will be sad not to see Ricky wearing T-Wolves jersey nevermore. We will miss his magic.

I will miss his magic too.......

I hang out here and mnrubecentral
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,514

Post#1004 » by Worm Guts » Thu Jul 6, 2017 2:12 am

Yeah, I'm not sure why that's necessary. There are lots of Rubio fans here, there's no reason troll them.
TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,015

Post#1005 » by TheProdigy » Thu Jul 6, 2017 2:23 am

Quentin wrote:
firyGM wrote:It will be sad not to see Ricky wearing T-Wolves jersey nevermore. We will miss his magic.

I will miss his magic too.......

:rofl2:
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,461

Post#1006 » by guest81 » Thu Jul 6, 2017 2:49 am

Worm Guts wrote:Yeah, I'm not sure why that's necessary. There are lots of Rubio fans here, there's no reason troll them.

There was a similar post about a Teague play in another thread as well
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Post#1007 » by Calinks » Thu Jul 6, 2017 2:59 am

Jazz guy just said they want to build around Rubio. Make him the 2017 Jason Kidd. They will surround him with shooters and they love what he brings on defense with Rudy. I'm happy they have faith.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,945

Post#1008 » by Nick K » Thu Jul 6, 2017 3:19 am

I love Ricky Rubio. There is no nicer guy. No one plays harder or is more loyal. No one passes the ball with his finesse. He is aggressive on the defensive end in getting steals, even though he pays the price often for his gamble. He is charming, says all the right things. That's Ricky. He's just like the cutest puppy dog that everybody loves no matter how often he poops the floor. Oh look little Ricky, he even poop good! Chimes down from above. Ricky could do no wrong in the eyes of his supporters.

Now, to be fair, we have to recognize his limitations. We all know what they are. I don't want to outline all of them because I really like him. So I won't. We all know what they are.

The bottom line is Ricky never improved his game each year. He was essentially the same player he was as drafted. Adelman wouldn't even play him in the 4th qtr because of his limitations. Sam Mitchell struggled with that. Flip did, and Thibs certainly did.

We all know Thibs has tried to trade him since early last year and hasn't been able to get anything for him. It hurts me to say that. How dare other teams think so little of the guy I like so much? I had to realize we couldn't get much for him. That hurt, but I had to realize that. Far too often Ricky was half a player and teams took advantage of it. All my love of the charming Spaniard couldn't change that.

It should be no surprise to anybody paying attention that Thibs has now traded our favorite Ricky, to get a guy he felt will run the team to his liking, and remove opponents advantages they had when Ricky was in there. They got that guy in Jeff Teague. If you don't like him, you don't know him and his abilities. Check him out. He's a former all-star who is consistant in his high production. He will be very good for us.

I wish Ricky the best. He will always be a super fan favorite, maybe the #1 fan favorite of the Wolves of all time. Yes, even greater than KG.
Good luck Ricky!
jmoy
Senior
And1: 180

Post#1009 » by jmoy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:20 pm

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Post#1010 » by Calinks » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:29 pm

I hope he has a really good season in Utah and makes thibs think twice about dealing him. I welcome Teague but don't like how Rubio was treated like chopped liver.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,829

Post#1011 » by Klomp » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:46 pm

Calinks wrote:I hope he has a really good season in Utah and makes thibs think twice about dealing him. I welcome Teague but don't like how Rubio was treated like chopped liver.

I blame your brother
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Quentin
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,203

Post#1012 » by Quentin » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:44 am

jmoy wrote:http://www.nba.com/article/2017/07/07/minnesota-timberwolves-might-miss-ricky-rubio-more-they-anticipate Good article if you believe Rubio was a positive

Ridiculous stat.

Rubio was plus 378 for the 13-14 season. Otherwise everything else is net negative. He has never moved the needle. He's an average PG that a lot of people here overrate because they think he looks good and sometimes throws a cool pass. :lol:

Seriously, the highest average in assist per season he has had is 9.1. For a guy that ONLY passes, that is terrible.
I hang out here and mnrubecentral
ace625214
Bench Warmer
And1: 604

Post#1013 » by ace625214 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:30 pm

I know we've all seen the hair/beard, but this Deadspin article about it is pretty funny.

https://deadspin.com/ricky-rubio-is-grim-and-gritty-now-1818625015
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1014 » by KGdaBom » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:53 pm

ace625214 wrote:I know we've all seen the hair/beard, but this Deadspin article about it is pretty funny.

https://deadspin.com/ricky-rubio-is-grim-and-gritty-now-1818625015

I enjoyed the article and I had not seen the new look Rubio yet.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,514

Post#1015 » by Worm Guts » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:54 pm

Quentin wrote:
jmoy wrote:http://www.nba.com/article/2017/07/07/minnesota-timberwolves-might-miss-ricky-rubio-more-they-anticipate Good article if you believe Rubio was a positive

Ridiculous stat.

Rubio was plus 378 for the 13-14 season. Otherwise everything else is net negative. He has never moved the needle. He's an average PG that a lot of people here overrate because they think he looks good and sometimes throws a cool pass. :lol:

Seriously, the highest average in assist per season he has had is 9.1. For a guy that ONLY passes, that is terrible.

People who think he's good have legitimate advanced statistics to back that up. As far his assists, hes been the top 5 in the NBA the last 3 seasons he's played enough games to be eligible.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1016 » by KGdaBom » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:32 am

Worm Guts wrote:
Quentin wrote:

Ridiculous stat.

People who think he's good have legitimate advanced statistics to back that up. As far his assists, hes been the top 5 in the NBA the last 3 seasons he's played enough games to be eligible.

Yeah 9.1 APG. I sure hope Teague is just as terrible.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,527

Post#1017 » by AirP. » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:10 pm

Calinks wrote:Jazz guy just said they want to build around Rubio. Make him the 2017 Jason Kidd. They will surround him with shooters and they love what he brings on defense with Rudy. I'm happy they have faith.

He's in a much better situation for his skillset to really matter. Since Utah's bigs are mostly limited offensively and will be closer to the basket, Rubio's passing and vision should make them a bigger threat to get easy scores(always having someone around the basket) where as a player like Towns was able to step out to the 3pt line(where he should get a good number of looks with just an average passing PG). A team with Rubio needs to emphasis defense and outside shooting more while not needing to worry about players who can create their own shot so much. Towns, Butler and Wiggins can all create their own shot and with that, need a more outside shooting PG to open up the court to create their offense. If only Rubio could get a solid outside jumper, he'd be a lesser version of Steve Nash.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1018 » by Klomp » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:18 pm

AirP. wrote:
Calinks wrote:Jazz guy just said they want to build around Rubio. Make him the 2017 Jason Kidd. They will surround him with shooters and they love what he brings on defense with Rudy. I'm happy they have faith.

He's in a much better situation for his skillset to really matter. Since Utah's bigs are mostly limited offensively and will be closer to the basket, Rubio's passing and vision should make them a bigger threat to get easy scores(always having someone around the basket) where as a player like Towns was able to step out to the 3pt line(where he should get a good number of looks with just an average passing PG). A team with Rubio needs to emphasis defense and outside shooting more while not needing to worry about players who can create their own shot so much. Towns, Butler and Wiggins can all create their own shot and with that, need a more outside shooting PG to open up the court to create their offense. If only Rubio could get a solid outside jumper, he'd be a lesser version of Steve Nash.

Part of me wonders if they'll be able to score enough. Ricky isn't a good enough scorer to be a Steve Nash. And he doesn't have a Vince Carter on the wing or even an Amare Stoudemire in the post. Maybe Gobert surprises me and makes a gigantic leap on offense, but I don't expect it. Are they going to rely on a 36-year Joe Johnson as the top scoring option? If so, I think they're in trouble.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,527

Post#1019 » by AirP. » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:46 pm

Klomp wrote:
AirP. wrote:

Part of me wonders if they'll be able to score enough. Ricky isn't a good enough scorer to be a Steve Nash. And he doesn't have a Vince Carter on the wing or even an Amare Stoudemire in the post. Maybe Gobert surprises me and makes a gigantic leap on offense, but I don't expect it. Are they going to rely on a 36-year Joe Johnson as the top scoring option? If so, I think they're in trouble.

Hopefully it's not just 1 year but long term with the franchise deciding to build around his talents. Gobert scored 14 points a game last year and could score 16-17 a night with Rubio even with Gobert's limited offense, he'll just need to dunk the ball. Might be the ball handler T.Lyles needs. to be effective also.

If Utah commits to Rubio, you have your center, you have your future athletic 3 and d guard in T.Furgeson, that's 3 spots on the court with great defense for a long time. Maybe Utah will start moving some of it's assets to bring in a big scorer. They have a number of players they could move, R.Hood, D.Favors and D.Exum, Utah took a huge step backwards losing Hayward so they may need a couple of years to restructure the team and get back to being a possibly threat.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1020 » by Klomp » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:12 pm

The top scorer/franchise cornerstone is arguably the hardest piece for a franchise to add. It's why even when Phoenix was coming off a 39-43 year and Minnesota had finished 16-66 (2014-15), I still felt better about the longterm future of the Wolves than I did the Suns. They didn't have what it took to make that next step. It's why I didn't expect the Lakers hot start last year to last.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves