2017 NFL ROOKIES

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Re: 2017 NFL ROOKIES 

Post#101 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:43 pm

Deshaun Watson - QB - Texans

Texans coach Bill O'Brien praised first-round QB Deshaun Watson's poise but admitted "he's not nearly where he needs to be to be a full-time starter."

"Every practice isn't perfect," said O'Brien. "He knows he needs to get a lot better. And he did get better every day during the spring." O'Brien noted that "you don't see him make the same mistake twice," so Watson is obviously taking his development seriously. Tom Savage remains the favorite to start Week 1, but it's likely we'll see Watson make starts by the end of the year.
Source: Houston Chronicle

Jun 23 - 1:34 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#102 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:45 pm

Jabrill Peppers - DB - Browns

Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealers believes offset language is holding up contract talks with first-round S Jabrill Peppers.

Cabot is just speculating but it's become fairly common place for teams to quibble over offset language in negotiations with incoming players. First overall pick Myles Garrett was able to avoid offset language in his deal and Peppers is hoping for the same treatment. As the 25th pick, Peppers is locked into a four-year, $10.3 million contract with a $5.6 million signing bonus whenever he chooses to sign it. The deal should be finalized before training camp opens on July 27.
Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Jun 23 - 4:02 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#103 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:48 pm

Haason Reddick - LB - Cardinals

AzCardinals.com projects first-round ILB Haason Reddick as a Week 1 starter.

Ace in-house reporter Darren Urban expects Deone Bucannon's (ankle surgery) recovery to drag into the season, giving No. 13 overall pick Reddick a chance to shine. Once Bucannon returns, the Cardinals will still find ways to get Reddick on the field. He can man the edge in sub-packages and drop into coverage.
Source: azcardinals.com

Jun 22 - 2:57 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#104 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:08 pm

Alvin Kamara - RB - Saints

Saints third round RB Alvin Kamara saw reps at receiver during OTAs.

Kamara split time between running backs and wideouts. It confirms the Saints plan of using him in a pass-catching role. Coach Sean Payton says Kamara has been a "quick study."
Source: ESPN

Jun 24 - 4:04 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#105 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:42 pm

Noah Brown - WR - Cowboys

Cowboys OC Scott Linehan has called seventh-round WR Noah Brown an "all-around guy."

"He’s an outside receiver with a big frame," Linehan said, before going on to refer to Brown as a "‘tweener" because of his 6-foot-2, 222-pound frame. "He’s got a little bit of a tight end element to his game as far as his size and the matchup and the people he’s blocking. So he should match up well in that area." We noticed the same thing on Brown’s college film. The No. 239 overall pick is likely headed to the practice squad.
Source: Dallas Morning News

Jun 29 - 3:08 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#106 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:18 pm

Jonnu Smith - TE - Titans

Delanie Walker said third-round rookie Jonnu Smith will surpass him "one day."

Smith did not get much ink during the offseason program, but coach Mike Mularkey appears to be happy with his rookie tight end. "It’s really fun to coach him because everything’s important," the coach said. "He looks you dead in the eye; he takes every word in; and he wants to please you. He wants to do right for his teammates." With a similar skill set, Smith looks like the long-term replacement for Walker, who turns 33 in August, but he could get on the field in the Titans' two-TE sets as early as this year. Even so, he is only worth a roster spot in Dynasty formats.
Source: USA Today

Jun 29 - 8:40 AM
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#107 » by ChrisPozz » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:42 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:Jonnu Smith - TE - Titans

Smith did not get much ink during the offseason program, but coach Mike Mularkey appears to be happy with his rookie tight end. "It’s really fun to coach him because everything’s important," the coach said. "He looks you dead in the eye; he takes every word in; and he wants to please you. He wants to do right for his teammates." With a similar skill set, Smith looks like the long-term replacement for Walker, who turns 33 in August, but he could get on the field in the Titans' two-TE sets as early as this year. Even so, he is only worth a roster spot in Dynasty formats.

OT: The maturation process Delanie Walker has gone through has been pretty impressive IMO. Anybody that knew me from other message boards probably doesn't remember my stance history on the guy but I wasn't super thrilled with that selection because I was skeptical he would take to hard NFL coaching and fix some of the immaturity issues he had coming into the NFL. Not to mention the scheme fit and having to adapt to NFL system coming from the system and position he had while in college.

It looked like I was going to be correct right off the bat when the coaches got on him and told him he was close to being sent out the door for those kinds of reasons but the kid was able to turn it all around somehow and really matured into something respectable as far as everything I've been able to gather.

It's rare in today's game for a kid with that kind of make up coming into the NFL who was making those kinds of daily decisions after being drafted, who was then able to turn it around for himself and become somebody that other players and even several coaches look toward as a bit of a leader and complimenting on a frequent basis for the type of guy he is with them and towards other players.

The transformation from somebody that wasn't very good in front of the camera or with the media into somebody that media types really end up liking and showing the ability to come off as well spoken and personable is really rare and never something I would have thought he'd be able to do.

There's still some parts to his game that would still bug me if he were on my team but he's really impressed me improving different parts of his game and turning himself into a bit of a package deal. Have to say that I was wrong on the guy and didn't think he'd get to this point in his career.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#108 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Jul 1, 2017 12:57 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:Jonnu Smith - TE - Titans

OT: The maturation process Delanie Walker has gone through has been pretty impressive IMO. Anybody that knew me from other message boards probably doesn't remember my stance history on the guy but I wasn't super thrilled with that selection because I was skeptical he would take to hard NFL coaching and fix some of the immaturity issues he had coming into the NFL. Not to mention the scheme fit and having to adapt to NFL system coming from the system and position he had while in college.

It looked like I was going to be correct right off the bat when the coaches got on him and told him he was close to being sent out the door for those kinds of reasons but the kid was able to turn it all around somehow and really matured into something respectable as far as everything I've been able to gather.

It's rare in today's game for a kid with that kind of make up coming into the NFL who was making those kinds of daily decisions after being drafted, who was then able to turn it around for himself and become somebody that other players and even several coaches look toward as a bit of a leader and complimenting on a frequent basis for the type of guy he is with them and towards other players.

The transformation from somebody that wasn't very good in front of the camera or with the media into somebody that media types really end up liking and showing the ability to come off as well spoken and personable is really rare and never something I would have thought he'd be able to do.

There's still some parts to his game that would still bug me if he were on my team but he's really impressed me improving different parts of his game and turning himself into a bit of a package deal. Have to say that I was wrong on the guy and didn't think he'd get to this point in his career.

I didn't know much about him coming out of college. So I was indifferent about the pick. However I liked him immediately after I saw him suit up for his first preseason game, returning kicks for us. Did a good job at it. I was furious when we didn't extend his contract and let him walk out in free agency. I knew instantly that we had made a mistake.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#109 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Jul 3, 2017 2:43 pm

DeShone Kizer - QB - Browns

According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, rookie DeShone Kizer made the "biggest leap" of all the Browns'
quarterbacks over the course of the offseason program.

Since joining the Browns as the 52nd overall pick, Kizer has made noticeable strides in both accuracy and touch while flashing improved mechanics. He's quickly closing the gap on Cody Kessler, though the true test for Kizer will come in the preseason. Ex-Texan Brock Osweiler is running a distant third in Cleveland's quarterback race.
Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Jul 2 - 10:11 AM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#110 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Jul 3, 2017 2:46 pm

Evan Engram - TE - Giants

The Giants’ website projects 40-plus catches for rookie TE Evan Engram.

Will Tye led the Giants’ tight ends with 48 catches last season. Engram is an upgrade on Tye, but there’s not a ton of targets for him as the No. 4 option behind Odell Beckham, Brandon Marshall, and Sterling Shepard. Engram’s rookie-year value will be tied to his red-zone role.
Source: giants.com

Jul 1 - 6:51 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#111 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Jul 3, 2017 2:50 pm

Dion Dawkins - T - Bills

Bills rookie Dion Dawkins is in the mix for the starting right tackle job.

Dawkins got the majority of his OTA reps at left tackle. He'll move to the right side with Cordy Glenn on track for training camp. Dawkins will need to beat out Jordan Mills to start.
Source: Buffalo News

Jul 1 - 2:44 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#112 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Jul 3, 2017 2:51 pm

Dalvin Cook - RB - Vikings

Latavius Murray admitted rookie Dalvin Cook is ahead of him in the Vikings’ running back competition.

"Dalvin's already been through OTAs, he's been through the offseason. So, he has that up on me," Murray said. Murray missed the entire spring recovering from surgery and is unlikely to be ready for the start of training camp. The missed time makes Cook the favorite to start Week 1. The Minneapolis Star Tribune expects Murray to open the season as the Vikings’ short-yardage back.
Source: NFL.com

Jul 1 - 2:30 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#113 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Jul 3, 2017 2:57 pm

Mitchell Trubisky - QB - Bears

Bears first-round QB Mitchell Trubisky has no plans to hold out.

Trubisky is the Bears' only unsigned draft pick. We've seen rookies hold out like Joey Bosa last year, but Trubisky has made clear he plans to report to training camp on time. Trubisky is likely to begin his career as Mike Glennon's backup, but it wouldn't be surprising to see him make starts as a rookie.
Source: ESPN.com

Jun 30 - 3:22 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#114 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Jul 7, 2017 1:23 am

JuJu Smith-Schuster - WR - Steelers

Steelers second-round WR JuJu Smith-Schuster was getting reps with the first-team offense in the red zone at OTAs.

The rookie has mainly been working with the twos as the Steelers' No. 4 receiver, but the offense is highlighting his size by getting him some looks in the scoring area. Should everyone stay healthy and on the field, Smith-Schuster likely will have a tough time accumulating stats in year one, but he could score a few TDs.
Source: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Jul 5 - 9:44 AM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#115 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Jul 8, 2017 2:12 pm

Myles Garrett - DL - Browns

Myles Garrett said his injured foot is "doing alright."

When a fan on Twitter asked him about his lateral foot sprain, Garrett shared a video of himself doing leg presses at the gym. Garrett was seen sporting a walking boot at the conclusion of OTAs last month but seems to be healing nicely. The Browns are likely to limit his workload early in camp but Garrett should be a full-go well in advance of Week 1.
Source: Myles Garrett on Twitter

Jul 7 - 3:11 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#116 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:27 pm

George Kittle - TE - 49ers

49ers GM John Lynch said fifth-round TE George Kittle "exceeded our expectations" at spring practices.

Kittle will open camp with a legit chance to start as a rookie. "He’s really flashed," Lynch said. "He’s got some suddenness to him in his movements. He catches the ball extremely well. George gives us something we don’t have as a playmaker down in the red zone. He is that guy who can win 1-on-1. He can impose his will and out-athlete people." Kittle showed field-stretching ability with a 15.4 yards-per-reception average at Iowa and excelled as both a run and pass blocker.
Source: 49ers.com

Jul 10 - 4:15 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#117 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:18 pm

Jalen Reeves-Maybin - LB - Lions

Tim Twentyman of detroitlions.com wrote fourth-round LB Jalen Reeves-Maybin's "speed and ability to cover jumped out this offseason."

Twentyman adds the rookie could earn playing time at weak-side linebacker if he is able to quickly pick up the scheme in camp. Linebacker remains a question mark for Detroit, but they actually have a lot of bodies there after adding Reeves-Maybin and first-rounder Jarrad Davis in the draft and Paul Worrilow in free agency. Reeves-Maybin will likely have to beat out Worrilow to earn a starting job.
Source: detroitlions.com

Jul 11 - 9:37 AM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#118 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:19 pm

Jarrad Davis - LB - Lions

Lions first-round MLB Jarrad Davis is already calling the defense.

The only thing which could have stopped Davis from immediately taking over at middle linebacker would have been struggling to learn the scheme, but it sounds like he has already been able to pick most of it up. He will head into camp and should head into the season as the clear starter in the middle.
Source: detroitlions.com

Jul 11 - 9:32 AM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#119 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:50 am

Josh Malone - WR - Bengals

Bengals WRs coach James Urban talked up fourth-round WR Josh Malone, saying he has "real ability."

"He showed us what we thought he was," said Urban. "He’s big and he’s fast and he has a good natural feel for the game. He’s learning how to run our routes." Fellow rookie John Ross also praised Malone, adding "to be his height and run as well as he does and catch the ball as well as he does – I think he’s got a bright future." Malone figures to spend much of his rookie year buried on the depth chart, but he's an intriguing deep Dynasty stash.
Source: bengals.com

Jul 12 - 11:40 AM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#120 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:43 am

Joe Mixon - RB - Bengals

Speaking about second-round RB Joe Mixon, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said he's "off the charts talent-wise."

"Big, fast, catch, run, see, smart — and he's a 20-year-old kid," Lewis said. "He's as smart as a whip. ... And I keep reminding everybody, he's a 20-year-old kid. Keep understanding that. Let Joe continue to grow and develop as we go." Lewis also insisted the Bengals did rigorous vetting of Mixon's off-the-field history, saying the team couldn't turn up any "red flags" following the disturbing 2014 incident where Mixon was caught on film punching a woman. Mixon is in for a major rookie role, but will be on an extremely short leash for his entire NFL career. He can't afford any slip-ups.
Source: NFL.com

Jul 13 - 6:33 PM

Return to San Francisco 49ers