Eurobasket 2017

Moderator: THE J0KER

ChilledAlex
Sixth Man
And1: 960

Re: Eurobasket 2017 

Post#41 » by ChilledAlex » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:21 am

UcanUwill wrote:Looks like Jokic will not play for Serbia this year. Here goes Serbian chances...

What happened? He has some bad relationship with someone or simply personal reasons?
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,243

Post#42 » by UcanUwill » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:50 am

ChilledAlex wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Looks like Jokic will not play for Serbia this year. Here goes Serbian chances...

What happened? He has some bad relationship with someone or simply personal reasons?

I dont know, maybe someone will inform us what happened, I am very much want to know the reason as well. Serbia with Jokic would have been my favorites, but now I doubt they beat Spain.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,465

Post#43 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:53 pm

When was the last time France had a decent small forward? Seems like years and years.

Greece's 16 man preliminary team:

PG Nick Calathes / Vangelis Mantzaris
SG Kostas Sloukas / Nikos Pappas / Tyler Dorsey
SF Giannis Antetokounmpo / Kostas Papanikolaou / Thanasis Antetokounmpo
PF Georgios Printezis / Ioannis Papapetrou / Dimitris Agravanis / Dinos Mitoglou
C Ioannis Bourousis / Zach Auguste / Georgios Papagiannis / Georgios Bogris

With no Spanoulis and Zisis the guards rotation looks quite mediocre at best. Koufos declined to play.

They again selected several players that can't shoot at all (Calathes and Antetokounmpo brothers)....and don't select any of the best Greek shooters instead (Sakota, Bramos, Zaras, etc.).

Not sure about selecting Bourousis and Printezis either...Bourousis is still very good on offense, but he can't play a lick of defense anymore. Printezis is absolutely on his last playing days...the guy could barely even move at the Greek playoffs this year. A retired Diamantidis is probably in better physical shape.

Then you have some selections that are a bit illogical for right now. Dorsey isn't ready for this level of basketball, and is an obvious throw in, and the same with Mitoglou. Not sure what purpose those selections serve other than learning the coach. Bogris is a fairly useless player for this level.

The only positive I see in this team is that Greece finally has a center that can cover on switches, in Auguste. That, along with Calathes' bricking is why Greece lost all those last tournaments. Maybe just with Auguste's team defense, they can have a better result. Although that seems unlikely when they selected 3 guys (Calathes and Antetokounmpos) that simply can't shoot at all, and that they will probably put in the team's rotation. Having guys that can't shoot at all on the perimeter simply does not work in European basketball.
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,142

Post#44 » by Mickey8 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:18 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
ChilledAlex wrote:

I dont know, maybe someone will inform us what happened, I am very much want to know the reason as well. Serbia with Jokic would have been my favorites, but now I doubt they beat Spain.

He said he want to spent this summer working on his body. Serbia also is missing Bjelica, he's huge part of the Serbian NT, he has different role than the one in Minnesota , he's the do it all type of player, I think Serbia is out of medal reach with those two players missing the tournament.
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 630

Post#45 » by remi_222 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:53 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:When was the last time France had a decent small forward? Seems like years and years.

Here is a list of 37 players, all potentially selected for the Olympic Games in 2020 ! the potential starting lineup in bold.

PG (6) : Andrew Albicy (Andorre, Esp), Antoine Diot (Valence, Esp), Axel Julien (Dijon), Thomas Heurtel (Barcelona, Spain), Franck Ntikilina (New York Knicks ), Léo Westermann (Zalgiris Kaunas, Lithiania).

SG (9) : Rodrigue Beaubois (Vitoria, Esp), Axel Bouteille (Chalon), Fabien Causeur (Bamberg, Germany), Nando De Colo (CSKA Moscou, Rus), Evan Fournier (Orlando, NBA), Edwin Jackson (Estudiantes, Esp), Nicolas Lang (Asvel), Yakuba Ouattara (Monaco), Axel Toupane (New Orleans, NBA).

SF (6) : Nicolas Batum (Charlotte, NBA), Nobel Bougnou-Colo (Khimki Moscou, Rus), Charles Kahudi (Asvel), Paul Lacombe (Strasbourg), Jérémy Leloup (Strasbourg), Timothé Luwawu-Cabarrot (Philadelphia, NBA).

PF (9) : Ousmane Camara (Limoges), Boris Diaw (Utah, NBA), Livio Jean-Charles (Asvel), Louis Labeyrie (Paris-Levallois), Joffrey Lauvergne (San Antonio, NBA), Amath M’Baye (Milan, Ita), Adrien Moerman (Barcelona, Spain), Kim Tillie (Vitoria, Esp), Guerschon Yabusele (Boston Celtics).

C (7) : Moustapha Fall (Chalon), Rudy Gobert (Utah), Mam Jaiteh (Strasbourg), Alpha Kaba (Atlanta Hawks), Mathias Lessort (Philadelphia Sixers), Vincent Poirier (Paris-Levallois), Kevin Séraphin (Indiana, NBA).

All the positions are full of talent ! SF positions with Batum and Luwawu-Cabarrot is perfectly fine, even Fournier can play this position in Fiba bball. Same for De Colo (best player in Europe now Teodosic left) who can play PG and SG !
Fiba bball is a little bit undersized than NBA, Diaw could play over SF to C.
This team offer a large panel of size, power and skills !
With the loss of Tony Parker, the immersion of Frank Ntilikina comes at the right time, and France still have a bright future !!
Sakkreth
Starter
And1: 3,390

Post#46 » by Sakkreth » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:19 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
LuDux1 wrote:Lithuanian last 18(16)

C
Jonas Valančiūnas
Artūras Gudaitis
Evaldas Kairys
Martynas Sajus

PF
Donatas Motiejūnas
Domantas Sabonis
SF
Mindaugas Kuzminskas
Jonas Mačiulis
Edgaras Ulanovas
Deividas Gailius
SG
Rokas Giedraitis
Artūras Milaknis

Marius Grigonis
Martynas Gecevičius
Adas Juškevičius

PG
Mindaugas Girdžiūnas
Mantas Kalnietis
Linas Lekavicius

Thats pretty underwhelming squad. By the way, its Lukas Lekavicius, not Linas.

I like that, people say that about Lithuania every year. Should be enough as a tradition to kick Serbia's ass.
LuDux1
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,984

Post#47 » by LuDux1 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:45 pm

Sakkreth wrote:
I like that, people say that about Lithuania every year. Should be enough as a tradition to kick Serbia's ass.

FIBA:
#7 Lithuania
We all know Lithuania will somehow win a medal again, don’t we?

http://www.fiba.com/eurobasket/2017/news/with-50-days-to-go-it-is-power-rankings-time
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#48 » by UcanUwill » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:39 am

Sakkreth wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
LuDux1 wrote:Lithuanian last 18(16)

C
Jonas Valančiūnas
Artūras Gudaitis
Evaldas Kairys
Martynas Sajus

PF
Donatas Motiejūnas
Domantas Sabonis
SF
Mindaugas Kuzminskas
Jonas Mačiulis
Edgaras Ulanovas
Deividas Gailius
SG
Rokas Giedraitis
Artūras Milaknis

Marius Grigonis
Martynas Gecevičius
Adas Juškevičius

PG
Mindaugas Girdžiūnas
Mantas Kalnietis
Linas Lekavicius

Yeah, I am not that optimistic at all. in 15 team found a leader in Maciulis, who just exploded out of nowhere. Who could do that this year? I have hopes Lekavicius, Kuzminskas and Grigonis have a huge tournament, these X factors of the team. I think thats the only way they win something. The masterlocks of the team, Kalnietis, Motiejunas = trash.
I have no idea what they were thinking by inviting scrubs like Sajus, but not Kavaliauskas. ANd they really needed to invite Orelik, that guy is a bomber. I just hate Power forwards of this team, Motiejunas and Sabonis...
LuDux1
Assistant Coach

Post#49 » by LuDux1 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:21 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Sakkreth wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

Yeah, I am not that optimistic at all. in 15 team found a leader in Maciulis, who just exploded out of nowhere. Who could do that this year? I have hopes Lekavicius, Kuzminskas and Grigonis have a huge tournament, these X factors of the team. I think thats the only way they win something. The masterlocks of the team, Kalnietis, Motiejunas = trash.
I have no idea what they were thinking by inviting scrubs like Sajus, but not Kavaliauskas. ANd they really needed to invite Orelik, that guy is a bomber. I just hate Power forwards of this team, Motiejunas and Sabonis...

Kavaliauskas and Orelikas were invited. Kavaliauskas declined citing back and hip problems. Orelikas declined for health reasons too. Sajus invited as possible future candidate and training partner
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#50 » by UcanUwill » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:30 pm

LuDux1 wrote:Kavaliauskas and Orelikas were invited. Kavaliauskas declined citing back and hip problems. Orelikas declined for health reasons too. Sajus invited as possible future candidate and training partner

Ok, thanks for the info. Do you know when Lithuanian training camp starts?
LuDux1
Assistant Coach

Post#51 » by LuDux1 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:47 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
LuDux1 wrote:Kavaliauskas and Orelikas were invited. Kavaliauskas declined citing back and hip problems. Orelikas declined for health reasons too. Sajus invited as possible future candidate and training partner

Ok, thanks for the info. Do you know when Lithuanian training camp starts?

in 5 days. 1st game - 2017.08.04
http://www.musukrepsinis.lt/rinktines/2017-metu-vyru-krepsinio-rinktine/
TheTrooper
Senior
And1: 550

Post#52 » by TheTrooper » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:08 pm

LuDux1 wrote:
Sakkreth wrote:

FIBA:
#7 Lithuania

http://www.fiba.com/eurobasket/2017/news/with-50-days-to-go-it-is-power-rankings-time

How the hell is Croatia ranked 3rd ? Yes we can beat anyone (other than the US), but we can also lose from just about anyone too.
I would put us somewhere around 7-9th place.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#53 » by UcanUwill » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:16 pm

TheTrooper wrote:
LuDux1 wrote:
Sakkreth wrote:

FIBA:
#7 Lithuania

How the hell is Croatia ranked 3rd ? Yes we can beat anyone (other than the US), but we can also lose from just about anyone too.
I would put us somewhere around 7-9th place.

My question is why Turkey sixth? I rather Lithuania or Slovenia over Turkey. Croatia seems very decent, someone had to be third. Serbia and Spain looks like a clear first tier.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#54 » by Mirotic12 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:26 pm

Latvia is too low in those rankings....they have everything.

Tall, long, very athletic, very good shooters, capable defenders, good finishers.....how the hell is that team only 10th?
Gordon
Rookie
And1: 161

Post#55 » by Gordon » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:36 pm

Greece needs to make Giannis thier go-to-guy, having him handle the ball up top and create out of ISO/pick and roll with shooters spreading the floor for him. He also needs to guard either PF or C position on defense enabling him to make a difference with his lenght/athleticism in the paint, as well as ability to grab the rebound and go on his unstoppable transition attacks.

Otherwise, if they plant Giannis in corner and let Calathes run the show as they have done before, everyone will be disappointed.

I think Croatia is overrated in these rankings, they have no depth with Hezonja, Babic, Zizic and Zubac not participating. Thier bench is full of 35ish years old over the hill veterans as Zoric, Popovic and Tomas who can`t defend anymore.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#56 » by Mirotic12 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:31 pm

Gordon wrote:Greece needs to make Giannis thier go-to-guy, having him handle the ball up top and create out of ISO/pick and roll with shooters spreading the floor for him. He also needs to guard either PF or C position on defense enabling him to make a difference with his lenght/athleticism in the paint, as well as ability to grab the rebound and go on his unstoppable transition attacks.

Otherwise, if they plant Giannis in corner and let Calathes run the show as they have done before, everyone will be disappointed.

I think Croatia is overrated in these rankings, they have no depth with Hezonja, Babic, Zizic and Zubac not participating. Thier bench is full of 35ish years old over the hill veterans as Zoric, Popovic and Tomas who can`t defend anymore.

Every single summer, Greece has started off with Giannis as their point guard...and every single summer they have to very quickly scrap it. You can't palm the ball in FIBA like you can in the NBA, and you also can't blatantly travel every time you touch the ball in FIBA, like you can in the NBA.

Unless Giannis improved his ball handling skills by light years, or FIBA refs suddenly let him travel and palm on every single possession, like he does in the NBA, then he can't have the ball in his hands all the time. He simply can't. You have to be able to handle the ball without palming and traveling under FIBA rules, and as of yet, that's well beyond Gianni's ball handling skills.

FIBA is going to have to ref him special and unfairly, if he's going to be a main ball handler. And I don't think that's going to go over to well with the other teams.

As far as Calathes goes....he never should have been in Greece'a national team. From the moment they added him to their team, the whole level of the entire national team dropped like 2 levels and never recovered. He's the worst lead guard Greece had in the last 35 years or so. But he keeps on getting on the team no matter what. Panathinaikos media has always hyped him and pushed him, and it's like the Greek federation (run by a long time Panathinaikos big shot) absolutely must push him in the national team.

Calathes is a huge problem for Greece, and they should not even have him in the team, since he simply can't shoot, not even free throws. It's amazing how much worse Calathes is than Greece's previous group of lead guards (Spanoulis, Zisis, Diamantidis, Papaloukas). But Giannis as a point guard is no solution, since he can't dribble properly (can only do so with NBA rules).
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,739

Post#57 » by Prez » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:44 am

Gordon wrote:Greece needs to make Giannis thier go-to-guy, having him handle the ball up top and create out of ISO/pick and roll with shooters spreading the floor for him. He also needs to guard either PF or C position on defense enabling him to make a difference with his lenght/athleticism in the paint, as well as ability to grab the rebound and go on his unstoppable transition attacks.

Good post. Get him the ball with floor spacing, let him play like the big defensively, and they're going to win. He's by far the best Greek player on the planet, he needs to have the ball in his hands.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#58 » by UcanUwill » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:18 am

Prez wrote:

Good post. Get him the ball with floor spacing, let him play like the big defensively, and they're going to win. He's by far the best Greek player on the planet, he needs to have the ball in his hands.

Yeah, I agree. That should be the plan.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:30 pm

Giannoulis Larentzakis replaced Tyler Dorsey in Greece's training camp.
jinxed
Starter
And1: 1,298

Post#60 » by jinxed » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:29 pm

Jokic out!? Noooo.

what about Boban? I know he wanted to play
Check out my book! "The Awakened Ape :A Biohacker's Guide to Evolutionary Fitness, Natural Ecstasy, and Stress-Free Living"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSJN3Q4?ref_=pe_2427780_160035660

Return to International Basketball