ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA - Offseason Dregs Edition

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Re: Around the NBA - Offseason Dregs Edition 

Post#681 » by earthmansurfer » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:02 am

Mr Rabbit wrote:Watching this kid DSJ throughout summer league is like torture. I've still got high hopes for Frank, but gotdamn.

Looks like he did very well, well, that depends on how you like the 2 assist part. I really do want a floor general, ball movement, etc.
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Post#682 » by earthmansurfer » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:04 am

KnicksGod wrote:Smith is good. But he's a little point guard.

With the ball in his hands that much, getting 2 assists is pretty bad.
No question he has/had talent on offense, not really shocked.
How was his defense?
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#683 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:48 am

I get the feeling, Melo's old team the Denver Nuggets are ready to make a run at the playoffs!
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,259

Post#684 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:30 am

earthmansurfer wrote:
KnicksGod wrote:Smith is good. But he's a little point guard.

With the ball in his hands that much, getting 2 assists is pretty bad.
No question he has/had talent on offense, not really shocked.
How was his defense?

I feel like I have to qualify this statement so I don't get piled on. But here goes.

Smith and Ball will be good pro players (at the least) but to me, top 10 picks SHOULD be dominating the SL against teams that are 3/4's G league hopefuls trying to get picked up somewhere.

The generally open style of play, and face it, ball dominating, will favor players like Smith, and to a degree, Ball, where the first guy can hog the ball and go off, while in the other, Ball can dominate the ball (which he's supposed to) and the freewheeling, not too much D will play to his strengths, mask weaknesses.

That's all. They still both pass the eye test, and adjusting for what everyone knows (I hope) what SL play is, you can still tell they'll be good players. How good is still unknown, because the SL isn't the NBA.

And just to bring in Frank N - even if he played, at best there would be a flash or two but he wouldn't have looked that good because his strength is playing a team oriented game with similarly minded players. Frank N over Smith may still turn out to be a mistake, but I'd never judge it on SL team play.
FemaleDogPlease
Veteran
And1: 1,473

Post#685 » by FemaleDogPlease » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:42 pm

Dam I cant even imagine how good DSJ will be after he gets with pro trainers. The guys skill are so good.
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

Post#686 » by NYKHardKnock » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:47 pm

Yeah DSJ is going to be good. fck you Dolan for firing Phil days after the draft lol

I dont know what I sense off Frank. I have no clue. It worries me very much after missing out on DSJ. This will end up being Curry 2.0 BUT with the possibility of actually drafting him lo
digitaldropoff
Starter
And1: 520

Post#687 » by digitaldropoff » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:59 pm

Again....Frank has a good skill set, and even though he's a project, he could end up a very good player. However, in the NBA....having a beast at PG is like having a great QB in the NFL. DSJ is a beast, it's not something that can be taught or developed. I was hoping the Wolves would take him, and I was kind of shocked the Knicks didn't. The Mavs had a killer fall right into their lap. I'm not saying he's going to be on Westbrooks level, but I don't think he'll end up that far off. He was easily my favorite player in the lotto....by a mile.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,492

Post#688 » by mpharris36 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:15 pm

what is the big hub bub about DSjr in summer league? I saw a 7-15 performance with 4 turnovers and 2 assists. Exactly the type of guard I thought he would be in the league. He will score, we know that. We he do it efficiently against better defense instead of pick up glorified street ball like the summer league is...im not so sure.

DSjr is a freak athlete that is explosive and when he's hitting his outside shot he is a really tough guard. I still prefer Frank to DSjr because I feel this is what DSjr will always be IMO.

Also these crazy reckless drives for the highlight "dunk" is going to get dude injured...you can book that. Rose was only able to do if for so long.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
Knicks_Fan2
RealGM
And1: 4,648

Post#689 » by Knicks_Fan2 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:40 pm

mpharris36 wrote:what is the big hub bub about DSjr in summer league? I saw a 7-15 performance with 4 turnovers and 2 assists. Exactly the type of guard I thought he would be in the league. He will score, we know that. We he do it efficiently against better defense instead of pick up glorified street ball like the summer league is...im not so sure.

DSjr is a freak athlete that is explosive and when he's hitting his outside shot he is a really tough guard. I still prefer Frank to DSjr because I feel this is what DSjr will always be IMO.

Also these crazy reckless drives for the highlight "dunk" is going to get dude injured...you can book that. Rose was only able to do if for so long.

It really doesn't look sustainable.
el13adnino
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,855

Post#690 » by el13adnino » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:46 pm

This has probably discussed but Justin Jackson has looked like buns so far
:crazy:
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,430

Post#691 » by RHODEY » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:12 pm

earthmansurfer wrote:
Mr Rabbit wrote:Watching this kid DSJ throughout summer league is like torture. I've still got high hopes for Frank, but gotdamn.

Looks like he did very well, well, that depends on how you like the 2 assist part. I really do want a floor general, ball movement, etc.

Yes DSJ is definitely talented and incredibly fun to watch....but that aint everything. Steve Francis was more entertaining to watch than Brandon Roy..Not say Frank will be Roy but the analogy still stands.
Gil
Starter
And1: 1,283

Post#692 » by Gil » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:20 pm

What's wrong with being a scoring PG exactly? The #1 Pick (Fultz) isn't exactly Chris Paul or Steve Nash either.

The Knicks dropped the ball with DSJ plain & simple. He's a freak athlete, he can create his own shot with ease, has been lethal with his jumper throughout SL & most importantly he's very exciting to watch.
Gil
Starter
And1: 1,283

Post#693 » by Gil » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:22 pm

DSJ is a much better prospect than Frank. Stop being delusional. Frank will be a George Hill type of PG.

Not a bust but not a franchise changer either.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,105

Post#694 » by ozwizard8 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:08 pm

Gil wrote:What's wrong with being a scoring PG exactly? The #1 Pick (Fultz) isn't exactly Chris Paul or Steve Nash either.

The Knicks dropped the ball with DSJ plain & simple. He's a freak athlete, he can create his own shot with ease, has been lethal with his jumper throughout SL & most importantly he's very exciting to watch.

Ironically, its rumoured that Knicks look for Bledsoe trade.
DSJ was basically much younger Bledsoe with extremely team frienldy rookie contract. He could be a starter pg for this team.

If Frank turns out to be G.Hill i would consider this pick as bust.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#695 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:21 pm

It's comical how many people hate Frank Nicotine pick. Let it go fellas.
AmazingJason
RealGM
And1: 6,142

Re: Ntillmatic is OUR GUY 

Post#696 » by AmazingJason » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:09 pm

There's a 85% chance that DSJr is going to tear his ACL or come down with some other very serious knee injury.

I think DSJr is a really good prospect, but it won't matter if he can't stay on the court.

It's the same as Rose and Embiid. You can tell from their landing mechanics that it's only a matter of time. 82 games is a long season and chances are he'll tear it Year 1.

Sent from my Google Glass using RealGM mobile app
BAT 18.0 - MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

El Poochio - POBO
Amazing Jason - Assistant to the VPOBO

PG: Lonzo Ball/Dennis Smith Jr.
SG: Donovan Mitchell/R. McGruder
SF: Jaylen Brown/Josh Jackson
PF: Jayson Tatum/T. Booker
C: Joel Embiid/McGee
NYKnicksFTW
Pro Prospect
And1: 636

Post#697 » by NYKnicksFTW » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:34 pm

How about we watch Frank play a minute of NBA action before we deem him a bust and Dennis Smith Jr. a star?

BTW, I think the Knicks should totally claim Jordan Mickey on waivers. He reminds me a bit of Taj Gibson. He's a project worth developing.
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 16,400

Post#698 » by Wolfgang630 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:50 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:I get the feeling, Melo's old team the Denver Nuggets are ready to make a run at the playoffs!

Well they have a great player in Jokic to lead them. I feel like he's already a top 20 player.
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#699 » by King of Canada » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:23 pm

I hope Frank kills it. He certainly plays hard, so he may just do that.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
boomann21
RealGM
And1: 2,777

Post#700 » by boomann21 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:32 pm

Wolfgang630 wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:I get the feeling, Melo's old team the Denver Nuggets are ready to make a run at the playoffs!

Well they have a great player in Jokic to lead them. I feel like he's already a top 20 player.

And they signed Paul Milsap who is as consistent as any player in this league.

Return to New York Knicks