ImageImageImageImageImage

Floyd mayweather vs Connor mcgregor

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,432

Re: Floyd mayweather vs Connor mcgregor 

Post#101 » by j4remi » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:52 pm

HEZI wrote:How do you think he sets up his punches? Nobody is trying to catch a roundhouse from him and even the Eddie Alvarez first knockdown was set up with a roundhouse to the head. He keeps guys at bay with his kicks, you said nobody is scared of his kicks but he constantly keeps guys backing away from them, except Diaz who kept walking into them because he doesn't give a shyt but he paid the price because his legs got destroyed by Conor.

It took me a lot of watching around and talking to boxers/martial artists to get some ideas on how he could even pull this off. Straight up, it's not easy to predict. My short version; fight long and try to get Floyd to do the leaping hook he likes to throw so that Conor can time a straight left (ie: Zab Judah vs Floyd first five rounds)...Left straight feint to a lead uppercut between Floyd's shell (not the most reliable method I admit but Conor's lead uppercut is slick)...Hard pivots out of corner situations to try and catch an awkward angle punch while Mayweather sits on counters (this is me trying to find something Floyd hasn't seen from typical boxers).
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#102 » by IllmaticHandler » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:53 pm

j4remi wrote:The fight game is weird in that, guys will say really hateful ish to each other and then it's completely forgotten after the bell. B-Hop disrespected the Puerto Rican flag, Floyd has disrespected Asians and Latinos. Conor got his blueprint from them. Dude tortured Aldo for a year and then consoled him and called him a legend after winning. Some of these cats are racist and some are just selling fights. That monkeys comment is way over the line and the black from the waist down crap was cringeworthy. He deserves to be taken to task for those. Being humble after the fact (most sources say he's actually a good dude, Daniel Cormier being the first to come to mind but I think Woodley also showed love not long ago also if memory serves) does not mean people should forgive what he says under his persona...I have the utmost respect for B-hop the fighter and his technical wizardry (I like his defensive fighting more than Floyd tbh) but I'll always have hate for the dude disrespecting the Puerto Rican flag regardless.

Deeeez Knicks wrote:Wait, this fight is still over a month away? lol

The amount it's being talked about and the fact that the press conferences are packing arenas makes me think this really could overtake Pacman vs PBF as the biggest selling fight ever.

Edit: Random side note, but outside of Conor last night, these dudes have been rocking massive heels to try and look taller at these things. Mind games and perception ploys are going on for days. Yall are watching the best two players of the mental aspect of combat sports go head to head.

What is this supposed to mean. Calling my people Monkeys is cool? I mean I dont give a fucck about promotion. HE called black people Monkeys. Are we supposed to forget?
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#103 » by j4remi » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:57 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
j4remi wrote:The fight game is weird in that, guys will say really hateful ish to each other and then it's completely forgotten after the bell. B-Hop disrespected the Puerto Rican flag, Floyd has disrespected Asians and Latinos. Conor got his blueprint from them. Dude tortured Aldo for a year and then consoled him and called him a legend after winning. Some of these cats are racist and some are just selling fights. That monkeys comment is way over the line and the black from the waist down crap was cringeworthy. He deserves to be taken to task for those. Being humble after the fact (most sources say he's actually a good dude, Daniel Cormier being the first to come to mind but I think Woodley also showed love not long ago also if memory serves) does not mean people should forgive what he says under his persona...I have the utmost respect for B-hop the fighter and his technical wizardry (I like his defensive fighting more than Floyd tbh) but I'll always have hate for the dude disrespecting the Puerto Rican flag regardless.

Deeeez Knicks wrote:Wait, this fight is still over a month away? lol

The amount it's being talked about and the fact that the press conferences are packing arenas makes me think this really could overtake Pacman vs PBF as the biggest selling fight ever.

Edit: Random side note, but outside of Conor last night, these dudes have been rocking massive heels to try and look taller at these things. Mind games and perception ploys are going on for days. Yall are watching the best two players of the mental aspect of combat sports go head to head.

What is this supposed to mean. Calling my people Monkeys is cool? I mean I dont give a fucck about promotion. HE called black people Monkeys. Are we supposed to forget?

I'm literally saying the opposite fam. He crossed the line and people should totally hold it against him. I've held a grudge with a fighter over his disrespect of my personal heritage and have no problem admitting that even though I realize it was marketing, it didn't make it okay.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,304

Post#104 » by NoStatsGuy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:57 pm

E-Balla wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Fury wrote:
This is exactly why mcgregor has no chance. His threat of kicks is out and makes his punch less of a surprise and less devastating. Mayweather has faced boxers waaaaaaay better than mcgregor. This isn't a real match.

We shall see. Conor also has excellent defense and has proved it against elite MMA fighters who could strike him with more than just punches, guys who not only punch harder than Floyd but kick and tackle. Floyd won't have it as easy as you think

Not once has Conor been hit harder than Floyd can and will hit him. MMA fighters don't throw sharp punches and their aim is way worse. That's why its way more common to see someone knocked loopy off one punch in boxing matches than MMA fights.

i am also doubting this statement. mma fighters just dont get an 8 second breake to gather themselves, thats why you dont see it
im bout dat action boss
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#105 » by HEZI » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:59 pm

E-Balla wrote:
HEZI wrote:
Fury wrote:
This is exactly why mcgregor has no chance. His threat of kicks is out and makes his punch less of a surprise and less devastating. Mayweather has faced boxers waaaaaaay better than mcgregor. This isn't a real match.

We shall see. Conor also has excellent defense and has proved it against elite MMA fighters who could strike him with more than just punches, guys who not only punch harder than Floyd but kick and tackle. Floyd won't have it as easy as you think

Not once has Conor been hit harder than Floyd can and will hit him. MMA fighters don't throw sharp punches and their aim is way worse. That's why its way more common to see someone knocked loopy off one punch in boxing matches than MMA fights.

Floyd has precision and accuracy but no power to do damage. Like I said, he scores points that way but he doesn't hurt his opponents. He's not going to hurt Conor, no matter how many clean strikes he lands.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#106 » by j4remi » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:00 pm

E-Balla wrote:Not once has Conor been hit harder than Floyd can and will hit him. MMA fighters don't throw sharp punches and their aim is way worse. That's why its way more common to see someone knocked loopy off one punch in boxing matches than MMA fights.

This is accurate for like 95% of fighters (maybe more). There are a few crisp strikers but it's rare. Cody Garbrandt is who I point boxing fans to because most MMA striking looks so damned sloppy compared to Muay Thai, Boxing and Kick Boxing. I don't think Floyd hits for power often because of his old hand injuries though, he can probably still pop but rarely does.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

MavCarter
RealGM
And1: 30,983

Post#107 » by MavCarter » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:00 pm

Yesterdays was cringe all around but floyd won. He's going to get the same treatment in london that he got in toronto so he had to come out with something in new york lol
#Enjoytheride
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#108 » by IllmaticHandler » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:02 pm

j4remi wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:

I'm literally saying the opposite fam. He crossed the line and people should totally hold it against him. I've held a grudge with a fighter over his disrespect of my personal heritage and have no problem admitting that even though I realize it was marketing, it didn't make it okay.

ightI understand, I thought you was saying that in the spirit of things this is nothing cause its boxing. When you said it was forgotten I felt you was saying at the end of the says its not a big deal.
HEZI
RealGM

Post#109 » by HEZI » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:06 pm

j4remi wrote:
HEZI wrote:How do you think he sets up his punches? Nobody is trying to catch a roundhouse from him and even the Eddie Alvarez first knockdown was set up with a roundhouse to the head. He keeps guys at bay with his kicks, you said nobody is scared of his kicks but he constantly keeps guys backing away from them, except Diaz who kept walking into them because he doesn't give a shyt but he paid the price because his legs got destroyed by Conor.

It took me a lot of watching around and talking to boxers/martial artists to get some ideas on how he could even pull this off. Straight up, it's not easy to predict. My short version; fight long and try to get Floyd to do the leaping hook he likes to throw so that Conor can time a straight left (ie: Zab Judah vs Floyd first five rounds)...Left straight feint to a lead uppercut between Floyd's shell (not the most reliable method I admit but Conor's lead uppercut is slick)...Hard pivots out of corner situations to try and catch an awkward angle punch while Mayweather sits on counters (this is me trying to find something Floyd hasn't seen from typical boxers).

He might be able to catch him with a jab walking back when Floyd attempts to go for his body shot. Conor has a powerful straight jab even when his body is moving backwards so he could land a clean one there
DENVER NUGGETS
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#110 » by j4remi » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:08 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:ightI understand, I thought you was saying that in the spirit of things this is nothing cause its boxing. When you said it was forgotten I felt you was saying at the end of the says its not a big deal.

I see how you coulda gotten that. I wanted to mention that angle specifically because a lot of fight fans use that to give a pass. Before the monkeys one, I was pretty dismissive myself but that comment was indefensible and pretty eye opening. Just disgraceful and embarrassing for me as an MMA fan watching someone represent the sport to a larger audience.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#111 » by j4remi » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:11 pm

HEZI wrote:He might be able to catch him with a jab walking back when Floyd attempts to go for his body shot. Conor has a powerful straight jab even when his body is moving backwards so he could land a clean one there

Good call! I'm probably gonna add that to my breakdown because that's an opening I didn't really consider. Definitely a "how did I miss that" post.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

H_20
RealGM
And1: 735

Post#112 » by H_20 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:12 pm

Stop all this sensitivity. Mayweather has a history of beating women and saying plenty of racist comments.

Where is the outrage?

You guys are falling for the race-baiting.
kane2021
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,067
Location: It's OK to feel that way. Just sick of hearing about it all the time.

Post#113 » by kane2021 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:22 pm

Floyd is deadly accurate and a world class counter puncher. It's why he doesn't really need to load up power on his shots. And why he likes fighting aggressive stalkers. It doesn't take a whole lot of force to ring a guys bell when it's on the button and they're coming forward. A lot of people have said after fighting Floyd that he hits harder than you think.

To me the most interesting thing in this fight is going to be seeing if Connor can restrain himself from his instincts. Kicks. Elbows. Knees. Foot stomps. Etc. Especially during intense flurries in close. I imagine he'll become frustrated, tired, hurt, at some point. And that's usually when you're surviving on pure instinct. To me it's incredibly difficult to temporarily unlearn things you've trained for your entire life. Especially if you find yourself in a situation where those things are necessary for survival and you're not really in your right mind for a moment.

I've seen pro boxers resort to illegal tactics in desperate situations and almost immediately after be surprised by their own actions. Even in UFC we've seen guys go after refs when hurt just off pure instinct. So I believe that this is going to be much more difficult for Connor than people are expecting.

That's why my wild card outcome is disqualification. Especially for such a gimmicky fight like this. Really reminds me of the tail end of Tysons career. Where it was more about seeing if Tyson would do something crazy. Like try to break a guys arm or bite him. Again.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Never underestimate the strength of knowledge.

Bring back the physical game and send the softies home.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#114 » by IllmaticHandler » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:25 pm

H_20 wrote:Stop all this sensitivity. Mayweather has a history of beating women and saying plenty of racist comments.

Where is the outrage?

Unless Mayweather said something in this fight promo that is racist. STFU. you aint nobody to tell people what they can dislike and label it as "sensitive"...we are talking about current events here with Connor. For the record I am not even a Floyd Fan. I actually despise mayweather.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,396
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#115 » by E-Balla » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:27 pm

RottenApple wrote:i am also doubting this statement. mma fighters just dont get an 8 second breake to gather themselves, thats why you dont see it

When boxers get rattled they don't get a break to gather themselves what are you talking about? Usually they get pressed and are out of the rest of the round unless they can land a nice counter. In the MMA the punches don't hit as sharp, the form isn't as good, the aim isn't as precise, and we see people dazed way less often as a result. I mean they can't even throw jabs.

HEZI wrote:
Floyd has precision and accuracy but no power to do damage. Like I said, he scores points that way but he doesn't hurt his opponents. He's not going to hurt Conor, no matter how many clean strikes he lands.

Floyd has more than enough power to take down someone that's never been hit by a pro boxer. Floyd might hold back a lot but we saw vs Ortiz he can knock out a defenseless fighter pretty easily and Donor will be defenseless and he doesn't have the jaw Ortiz has (if he did he would box instead of making chump change in the UFC).

j4remi wrote:
E-Balla wrote:Not once has Conor been hit harder than Floyd can and will hit him. MMA fighters don't throw sharp punches and their aim is way worse. That's why its way more common to see someone knocked loopy off one punch in boxing matches than MMA fights.

This is accurate for like 95% of fighters (maybe more). There are a few crisp strikers but it's rare. Cody Garbrandt is who I point boxing fans to because most MMA striking looks so damned sloppy compared to Muay Thai, Boxing and Kick Boxing. I don't think Floyd hits for power often because of his old hand injuries though, he can probably still pop but rarely does.

Garbrant is one of the few guys ringing bells in the UFC. But I don't think Floyd needs to even get him with a bunch of power shots. He'll get him with enough potshots that by the 6th round when Conor is winded and beat even a regular punch would take him out.
HEZI
RealGM

Post#116 » by HEZI » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:33 pm

kane2021 wrote:Floyd is deadly accurate and a world class counter puncher. It's why he doesn't really need to load up power on his shots. And why he likes fighting aggressive stalkers. It doesn't take a whole lot of force to ring a guys bell when it's on the button and they're coming forward. A lot of people have said after fighting Floyd that he hits harder than you think.

To me the most interesting thing in this fight is going to be seeing if Connor can restrain himself from his instincts. Kicks. Elbows. Knees. Foot stomps. Etc. Especially during intense flurries in close. I imagine he'll become frustrated, tired, hurt, at some point. And that's usually when you're surviving on pure instinct. To me it's incredibly difficult to temporarily unlearn things you've trained for your entire life. Especially if you find yourself in a situation where those things are necessary for survival and you're not really in your right mind for a moment.

I've seen pro boxers resort to illegal tactics in desperate situations and almost immediately after be surprised by their own actions. Even in UFC we've seen guys go after refs when hurt just off pure instinct. So I believe that this is going to be much more difficult for Connor than people are expecting.

That's why my wild card outcome is disqualification. Especially for such a gimmicky fight like this. Really reminds me of the tail end of Tysons career. Where it was more about seeing if Tyson would do something crazy. Like try to break a guys arm or bite him. Again.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

You already know Floyd is going to try to bait him into something like that. Whether it be pulling his head down, forearm strikes to the face, arm locking, etc. All those little tricks Floyd does to piss off his opponents. He could cause Conor to lose his cool and get DQ'd wouldn't be shocked by it
DENVER NUGGETS
H_20
RealGM
And1: 735

Post#117 » by H_20 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:35 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
H_20 wrote:Stop all this sensitivity. Mayweather has a history of beating women and saying plenty of racist comments.

Where is the outrage?

Unless Mayweather said something in this fight promo that is racist. STFU. you aint nobody to tell people what they can't dislike and label it as "sensitive"...we are talking about current events here with Connor. For the record I am not even a Floyd Fan. I actually despise mayweather.

Let's just dismiss every racist statement Floyd has said because it's the past!

I'm having trouble with your logic here.

Look at what he said about Manny Pacquiao : "I'm on vacation for about a year, about a year," Mayweather said. "As soon as we come off vacation, we're going to cook that little yellow chump. We ain't worried about that. So they ain't gotta worry about me fighting the midget. Once I kick the midget ass, I don't want you all to jump on my d---. So you all better get on the bandwagon now. ... Once I stomp the midget, I'll make that mother f----- make me a sushi roll and cook me some rice."

How about the racist comments he said towards or beloved Jeremy Lin? :"Jeremy Lin is a good player but all the hype is because he's Asian. Black players do what he does every night and don't get the same praise," Mayweather wrote on his Twitter account on Monday afternoon.

You don't have the moral ground here, you can't attack Conor for being racist when Floyd has said many racist statements in the past. Deal with it.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#118 » by IllmaticHandler » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:45 pm

H_20 wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:

Where is the outrage?

Unless Mayweather said something in this fight promo that is racist. STFU. you aint nobody to tell people what they can't dislike and label it as "sensitive"...we are talking about current events here with Connor. For the record I am not even a Floyd Fan. I actually despise mayweather.

Let's just dismiss every racist statement Floyd has said because it's the past!

I'm having trouble with your logic here.

Look at what he said about Manny Pacquiao : "I'm on vacation for about a year, about a year," Mayweather said. "As soon as we come off vacation, we're going to cook that little yellow chump. We ain't worried about that. So they ain't gotta worry about me fighting the midget. Once I kick the midget ass, I don't want you all to jump on my d---. So you all better get on the bandwagon now. ... Once I stomp the midget, I'll make that mother f----- make me a sushi roll and cook me some rice."

How about the racist comments he said towards or beloved Jeremy Lin? :"Jeremy Lin is a good player but all the hype is because he's Asian. Black players do what he does every night and don't get the same praise," Mayweather wrote on his Twitter account on Monday afternoon.

You don't have the moral ground here, you can't attack Conor for being racist when Floyd has said many racist statements in the past. Deal with it.

Are you DUMB? I said I DESPISE MAYWEATHER. :crazy:

Conor JUST SAID THESE COMMENTS... Thats the reason why its SPOKEN ON RIGHT NOW. :crazy:

You have no ground to speak period, and sound just as stupid as the dude in your avatar when he speak.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#119 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:04 pm

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Watching live, it felt like that's all that matters to these cats. They're selling the fight, running on fumes and doing whatever they can to pump up the spectacle. I'm embracing the hell out of it, the boxers I know are too. The only rule for admission should be "know what you're getting into." You're watching a power puncher chase Floyd and try to land a big one which is not unlike a ton of other Floyd fights and will almost guaranteed be more entertaining than the god awful Canelo/Chavez Jr fight. The presser yesterday was terrible, bad audio, celebrities stalling for time and the fighters were out of gas; but the fans were incredible and the energy in the building was FUN.

You were there! I heard that there was a two hour wait. Yikes.

I've been trying to do my research and watch a bunch of videos on youtube from fighters and analysts on both sides. Given that both fighters are counterpunchers, how much do you think that'll affect the fight? Also, I thought it was interesting that Conor said he would come at Floyd from many different martial arts stances. That could make things interesting.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#120 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:35 pm

Such a silly fight. My stepson wanted to waste money on this and I advised against it. Unless Mayweather is really careless McGregor has no shot in this. Mayweather is never careless in the ring though. Say what you want about Mayweather outside the ring the dude handles his business training wise and in the ring.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,

Return to New York Knicks