ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA - Offseason Dregs Edition

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Re: Around the NBA - Offseason Dregs Edition 

Post#701 » by earthmansurfer » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:44 pm

digitaldropoff wrote:Again....Frank has a good skill set, and even though he's a project, he could end up a very good player. However, in the NBA....having a beast at PG is like having a great QB in the NFL. DSJ is a beast, it's not something that can be taught or developed. I was hoping the Wolves would take him, and I was kind of shocked the Knicks didn't. The Mavs had a killer fall right into their lap. I'm not saying he's going to be on Westbrooks level, but I don't think he'll end up that far off. He was easily my favorite player in the lotto....by a mile.

I can see a PG and QB are both floor generals, but a PG is just working with 4 other guys. If you can find a PG to be a Maestro out there as well as score, that is HUGE. I see DSJ as being a super dominant scorer (potentially), but I never seeing him dominate on defense or dishing the rock (yeah, he can bring the ball up fast and drive and dish, but nothing like Ball and to a lesser extent Frank.)

I think Frank will take time, but my bet is that he plays 25mpg or so this year and then as his body fills out and athleticism increases (yeah, I am betting on that), with his already great deep shot / good shot and great defense, the guy can be like a better much Harper. Really, the guy can be special, not like Ball dishing, not like DSJ driving, but enough of each, and with superior defense, to be a very special player. We are banking on some things about Frank, just like they are about DSJ. They are just different things...
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Post#702 » by earthmansurfer » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:50 pm

RHODEY wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
Mr Rabbit wrote:Watching this kid DSJ throughout summer league is like torture. I've still got high hopes for Frank, but gotdamn.

Looks like he did very well, well, that depends on how you like the 2 assist part. I really do want a floor general, ball movement, etc.

Yes DSJ is definitely talented and incredibly fun to watch....but that aint everything. Steve Francis was more entertaining to watch than Brandon Roy..Not say Frank will be Roy but the analogy still stands.

First, yeah, I see DSJ being an incredibly athletic player and someday very very good to great scorer but I don't see him being that player to lead and dominate WITH his team. I know we have a lot of dominant PGs and call me old school, but having a real general out there, that can make that engine sing, well that is SPECIAL. I love watching team ball, with respect to great scoring PG's.

Re Roy, from memory was really a special guy all round, and not a Westbrook on offense, could still dominate. I will say this, look at Frank's shooting numbers from deep. They are phenomenal. Good in general. Man, having a guy with a good to great all around game is valuable. And we shouldn't forget the guy is very young, it is like his is coming out of highschool, but he already has played a few years or 2 of pro ball. He is still growing. He might just be good, but he also might turn out to be special, but like I said before, not like a ball or DSJ, more of a well rounded version.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Re: Ntillmatic is OUR GUY 

Post#703 » by Mecca » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:52 pm

AmazingJason wrote:There's a 85% chance that DSJr is going to tear his ACL or come down with some other very serious knee injury.

I think DSJr is a really good prospect, but it won't matter if he can't stay on the court.

It's the same as Rose and Embiid. You can tell from their landing mechanics that it's only a matter of time. 82 games is a long season and chances are he'll tear it Year 1.

Sent from my Google Glass using RealGM mobile app

Gallinari had the same issue
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
boomann21
RealGM
And1: 2,777

Post#704 » by boomann21 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:18 pm

AmazingJason wrote:There's a 85% chance that DSJr is going to tear his ACL or come down with some other very serious knee injury.

I think DSJr is a really good prospect, but it won't matter if he can't stay on the court.

It's the same as Rose and Embiid. You can tell from their landing mechanics that it's only a matter of time. 82 games is a long season and chances are he'll tear it Year 1.

Where did you get those %''s :lol: :lol:
AmazingJason
RealGM
And1: 6,142

Post#705 » by AmazingJason » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:41 pm

boomann21 wrote:

I'm not a doctor, but it's my personal medical opinion/observation :o
BAT 18.0 - MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES

El Poochio - POBO
Amazing Jason - Assistant to the VPOBO

PG: Lonzo Ball/Dennis Smith Jr.
SG: Donovan Mitchell/R. McGruder
SF: Jaylen Brown/Josh Jackson
PF: Jayson Tatum/T. Booker
C: Joel Embiid/McGee
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#706 » by King of Canada » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:03 pm

AmazingJason wrote:
boomann21 wrote:

I'm not a doctor, but it's my personal medical opinion/observation :o

It's tough for those smaller guys that have to jump with all their might to dunk the ball. They have to jump harder and from further out, and it makes landing hard because they're coming down on a sharper angle.
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Post#707 » by King of Canada » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:36 am

Summer league should be renamed Skinny League
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,606

Post#708 » by KnicksGadfly » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:50 am

ozwizard8 wrote:
Gil wrote:What's wrong with being a scoring PG exactly? The #1 Pick (Fultz) isn't exactly Chris Paul or Steve Nash either.

The Knicks dropped the ball with DSJ plain & simple. He's a freak athlete, he can create his own shot with ease, has been lethal with his jumper throughout SL & most importantly he's very exciting to watch.

Ironically, its rumoured that Knicks look for Bledsoe trade.
DSJ was basically much younger Bledsoe with extremely team frienldy rookie contract. He could be a starter pg for this team.

If Frank turns out to be G.Hill i would consider this pick as bust.

G Hill is a damn good player. He just gets hurt a ton, but in terms of well-roundedness, hitting 3s, defense...that's a great player. Not a first option, but he's the type of guy who could play with anybody. Pretty rare in this league.
ny-n-md
Sixth Man
And1: 1,386

Post#709 » by ny-n-md » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:07 am

About DSJ's 2 assists: he made a lot of nice passes where the players didn't make or take the shot. I've actually been quite impressed with his passing game. When he drives, he keeps his head up and finds open teammates and especially near the basket. They have to get used to playing with him and being ready to shoot. He's an above average passer. He should do much better in this regard during the regular season with real NBA teammates.
JUST PLAY THE KIDS ALREADY!!!!!
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,100

Post#710 » by ozwizard8 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:08 pm

knicksh20b wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
Gil wrote:What's wrong with being a scoring PG exactly? The #1 Pick (Fultz) isn't exactly Chris Paul or Steve Nash either.

The Knicks dropped the ball with DSJ plain & simple. He's a freak athlete, he can create his own shot with ease, has been lethal with his jumper throughout SL & most importantly he's very exciting to watch.

Ironically, its rumoured that Knicks look for Bledsoe trade.
DSJ was basically much younger Bledsoe with extremely team frienldy rookie contract. He could be a starter pg for this team.

If Frank turns out to be G.Hill i would consider this pick as bust.

G Hill is a damn good player. He just gets hurt a ton, but in terms of well-roundedness, hitting 3s, defense...that's a great player. Not a first option, but he's the type of guy who could play with anybody. Pretty rare in this league.

Is he above average for his position? No, i dont think so.
I wouldnt put him top 15 maybe not even top 20.
Pg position is stacked and i dont believe Hill's impact on wins.
digitaldropoff
Starter
And1: 520

Post#711 » by digitaldropoff » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:21 pm

earthmansurfer wrote:
digitaldropoff wrote:Again....Frank has a good skill set, and even though he's a project, he could end up a very good player. However, in the NBA....having a beast at PG is like having a great QB in the NFL. DSJ is a beast, it's not something that can be taught or developed. I was hoping the Wolves would take him, and I was kind of shocked the Knicks didn't. The Mavs had a killer fall right into their lap. I'm not saying he's going to be on Westbrooks level, but I don't think he'll end up that far off. He was easily my favorite player in the lotto....by a mile.

I can see a PG and QB are both floor generals, but a PG is just working with 4 other guys. If you can find a PG to be a Maestro out there as well as score, that is HUGE. I see DSJ as being a super dominant scorer (potentially), but I never seeing him dominate on defense or dishing the rock (yeah, he can bring the ball up fast and drive and dish, but nothing like Ball and to a lesser extent Frank.)

I think Frank will take time, but my bet is that he plays 25mpg or so this year and then as his body fills out and athleticism increases (yeah, I am betting on that), with his already great deep shot / good shot and great defense, the guy can be like a better much Harper. Really, the guy can be special, not like Ball dishing, not like DSJ driving, but enough of each, and with superior defense, to be a very special player. We are banking on some things about Frank, just like they are about DSJ. They are just different things...

My point is....even if you have a **** team, if you have a great QB....you've got a chance to win any game. Westbrook is a great example of this in the NBA....his team after Durant left was not very good at all, I'd argue average at best. However, he had the ability to completely take over and dominate....willing his team to wins in many cases. DSJ is cut from that same cloth. I'm not saying he'll reach that level, but the potential is he'll get close. I fully recognize that Frank and DSJ are different, but in today's league.....a beast like that can put a team on another level if they as a whole are average. If you surround them with another star like player, then you become a contender.
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,806

Post#712 » by SelbyCobra » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:24 pm

:lol:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,055

Post#713 » by Tron Carter » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:37 pm

a lot of DSJr bashing in here.. i'll allow it.
R.I.P Black Mamba
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,603

Post#714 » by 3toheadmelo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:09 pm

watched some highlghts of bender's game in the summer league

anyone still not impressed by him?
cause im not lol
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,603

Post#715 » by 3toheadmelo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:36 pm

It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
NYKnicksFTW
Pro Prospect
And1: 636

Post#716 » by NYKnicksFTW » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:06 pm

Lots of young guys are out there for the taking. Jordan Mickey (who I REALLY hope we claim), Michael Gbinije, Georges Niang, Rakeem Christmas, Stephen Zimmerman (who I'd MUCH rather have than Marshall Plumlee)...

Rebuild the right way
boomann21
RealGM
And1: 2,777

Post#717 » by boomann21 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:58 pm

NYKnicksFTW wrote:Lots of young guys are out there for the taking. Jordan Mickey (who I REALLY hope we claim), Michael Gbinije, Georges Niang, Rakeem Christmas, Stephen Zimmerman (who I'd MUCH rather have than Marshall Plumlee)...

Rebuild the right way
I

I agree we should take a shot on Jordan Mickey. I like how hard that kid plays.
NYKnicksFTW
Pro Prospect
And1: 636

Post#718 » by NYKnicksFTW » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:53 pm

And speaking of which, I would much rather take a chance on Trey Burke or Tyler Ennis than Brandon Knight, Derrick Rose, Brandon Jennings, Deron Williams or any other PG out there.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#719 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:09 pm

AmazingJason wrote:
boomann21 wrote:

I'm not a doctor, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night. :o

fixed
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#720 » by Greenie » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:59 pm

Trey Burke please

Return to New York Knicks