ImageImageImageImageImage

Floyd mayweather vs Connor mcgregor

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

camillepd
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Re: Floyd mayweather vs Connor mcgregor 

Post#121 » by camillepd » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:48 pm

It is racist that Connor addressed Mayweather, a 40 year old Black man as "boy."
sushibear
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,984

Post#122 » by sushibear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:53 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:Such a silly fight. My stepson wanted to waste money on this and I advised against it. Unless Mayweather is really careless McGregor has no shot in this. Mayweather is never careless in the ring though. Say what you want about Mayweather outside the ring the dude handles his business training wise and in the ring.

Same can be said about mcgregor. Dude is a clown outside the Octagon but he handles his business training wise and in the Octagon. He also isn't selective in who he fights and doesn't bitch and moan that his opponents is taking steroids or has special gloves made from Mexico.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#123 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:59 pm

sushibear wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:Such a silly fight. My stepson wanted to waste money on this and I advised against it. Unless Mayweather is really careless McGregor has no shot in this. Mayweather is never careless in the ring though. Say what you want about Mayweather outside the ring the dude handles his business training wise and in the ring.

Same can be said about mcgregor. Dude is a clown outside the Octagon but he handles his business training wise and in the Octagon. He also isn't selective in who he fights and doesn't bitch and moan that his opponents is taking steroids or has special gloves made from Mexico.

You didn't understand my point. I am saying that the only way Mayweather can lose this BOXING match is if he gets careless something he never does. He always comes prepared for his fights and fights the same boring smart fight.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
J_LA
Junior
And1: 289

Post#124 » by J_LA » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:01 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Watching live, it felt like that's all that matters to these cats. They're selling the fight, running on fumes and doing whatever they can to pump up the spectacle. I'm embracing the hell out of it, the boxers I know are too. The only rule for admission should be "know what you're getting into." You're watching a power puncher chase Floyd and try to land a big one which is not unlike a ton of other Floyd fights and will almost guaranteed be more entertaining than the god awful Canelo/Chavez Jr fight. The presser yesterday was terrible, bad audio, celebrities stalling for time and the fighters were out of gas; but the fans were incredible and the energy in the building was FUN.

You were there! I heard that there was a two hour wait. Yikes.

I've been trying to do my research and watch a bunch of videos on youtube from fighters and analysts on both sides. Given that both fighters are counterpunchers, how much do you think that'll affect the fight? Also, I thought it was interesting that Conor said he would come at Floyd from many different martial arts stances. That could make things interesting.

This seems like the best approach. What advantage would Conor have fighting in a traditional boxing stance that Mayweather has seen time and time again.

I would also like to add one thing. I don't know who will win the fight, but anyone who thinks Floyd can be inactive for 2 years and return to the ring the same fighter he was at 40 years of age is in for a surprise. If you watch him against Berto, (who didn't even belong in the ring imo) he didn't even look like the same fighter as when he fought Pacquiao.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#125 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:05 pm

J_LA wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
j4remi wrote:
Watching live, it felt like that's all that matters to these cats. They're selling the fight, running on fumes and doing whatever they can to pump up the spectacle. I'm embracing the hell out of it, the boxers I know are too. The only rule for admission should be "know what you're getting into." You're watching a power puncher chase Floyd and try to land a big one which is not unlike a ton of other Floyd fights and will almost guaranteed be more entertaining than the god awful Canelo/Chavez Jr fight. The presser yesterday was terrible, bad audio, celebrities stalling for time and the fighters were out of gas; but the fans were incredible and the energy in the building was FUN.

I've been trying to do my research and watch a bunch of videos on youtube from fighters and analysts on both sides. Given that both fighters are counterpunchers, how much do you think that'll affect the fight? Also, I thought it was interesting that Conor said he would come at Floyd from many different martial arts stances. That could make things interesting.

This seems like the best approach. What advantage would Conor have fighting in a traditional boxing stance that Mayweather has seen time and time again.

I would also like to add one thing. I don't know who will win the fight, but anyone who thinks Floyd can be inactive for 2 years and return to the ring the same fighter he was at 40 years of age is in for a surprise. If you watch him against Berto, (who didn't even belong in the ring imo) he didn't even look like the same fighter as when he fought Pacquiao.

True but it's not as big a disadvantage as the one McGregor has.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,636

Post#126 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:14 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
sushibear wrote:

You didn't understand my point. I am saying that the only way Mayweather can lose this BOXING match is if he gets careless something he never does. He always comes prepared for his fights and fights the same boring smart fight.

Since they're both counterpunchers, I think Conor is going to stand in the middle of the ring and bait Floyd to come to him and fight, like Anderson Silva does when he mocks an opposing fighter.
FlashFlood
Rookie
And1: 509

Post#127 » by FlashFlood » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:15 pm

J_LA
Junior
And1: 289

Post#128 » by J_LA » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:20 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
J_LA wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Honestly I know Mayweather is great. To others he might be boring but I don't know how anyone can watch him and not appreciate the way he fights.

The thing is, and I know this might sound crazy but aside from never boxing in a professional fight before, Mcgregor has every advantage. He's bigger, he has a longer reach and at this stage in their careers Mcgregor should at least be able to match Floyd's stamina. Most people will probably say Floyd has the mental advantage in the ring but does he really? Knowing that Mcgregor can kill him if he wanted too.
It's like Mcgregor's coach said in an interview with Espn recently, They aren't trying to win Wimbledon. It's fighting and Conor's skill should translate well. I don't know if it will be enough to get him the win but there are quite a few variables that favor Mcgregor here that make it interesting.
sushibear
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,984

Post#129 » by sushibear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:23 pm

Floyd has to be careful though. We all know this is a perfect bait for floyd to come out of retirement.

1. IRS putting a dent in TMT account
2. An opponent that he feels isnt a threat.
3. Clear cut advantage fighting his way
4. A ridiculous amount of money.

Only way for him to come out of retirement and most importantly fight. He's fighting an opponent who is unknown in boxing and has nothing to lose still young and in his prime.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#130 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:24 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:
sushibear wrote:

Since they're both counterpunchers, I think Conor is going to stand in the middle of the ring and bait Floyd to come to him and fight, like Anderson Silva does when he mocks an opposing fighter.

Hope that's not the case because Mayweather will just do his slip and slide the whole fight.

Its funny people keep hoping for an exciting fight from Mayweather because of all the hype surrounding him but in reality he's an extremely effective but boring defensive fighter.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,495

Post#131 » by j4remi » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:01 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:

Glad you mentioned this because I think to the uninitiated, Conor comes off as more reckless and overly aggressive since he likes to control the center of the octagon and throws some flashy techniques with his striking. Those expecting Conor to wade in and give Floyd easy counters could be disappointed. The cool thing about these two is that they're different kinds of counter strikers. Floyd will back off and force you to come to him, then pick his shots as he's making you miss. He essentially baits guys and picks them apart as they push forward with attacks. Conor doesn't sit back, he presses forward so that you HAVE to swing because you're being smothered and losing space. It can come down to who is more economical with their attack, but the reality is they're styles will pretty much force a lot of opportunities for each. Feints are the typical kryptonite for a counter puncher and I think we'll see a lot. It'll become a "you reach, I teach" deal where if one over extends, he'll be punished. What remains to be seen though, is the speed difference. If Floyd is too fast for Conor, he can throw punches rather than feints to create more opportunities...he's done it to plenty of opponents. When guys wait outside of range, he has a leaping hook I've seen him use that closes space and allows him to quick clinch or pop back out. That's where Zab Judah caught him with a straight left and Mac should emulate it if he can draw those out. If Conor's boxing skills are good enough, it could be more of a chess match than a lot of people think...but hand speed, footwork, precision...all of that changes with 10 oz. gloves and a ring rather than 4 oz gloves and a cage.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#132 » by MaseInYourFace » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:30 pm

J_LA wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:
J_LA wrote:

Honestly I know Mayweather is great. To others he might be boring but I don't know how anyone can watch him and not appreciate the way he fights.

The thing is, and I know this might sound crazy but aside from never boxing in a professional fight before, Mcgregor has every advantage. He's bigger, he has a longer reach and at this stage in their careers Mcgregor should at least be able to match Floyd's stamina. Most people will probably say Floyd has the mental advantage in the ring but does he really? Knowing that Mcgregor can kill him if he wanted too.
It's like Mcgregor's coach said in an interview with Espn recently, They aren't trying to win Wimbledon. It's fighting and Conor's skill should translate well. I don't know if it will be enough to get him the win but there are quite a few variables that favor Mcgregor here that make it interesting.

Just don't see it. Let's put it this way let's take McGregors profile but put it on an actual boxer I'm still taking Mayweather. The better technical boxer wins more often than not unless they get old or careless.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
offense
RealGM
And1: 4,361

Post#133 » by offense » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:53 pm

This will be floyd's easier fight ever, I am laughing at the delusional people thinking conor has any chance.
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
And1: 943

Post#134 » by PeoplesChamp » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:32 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:
sushibear wrote:

He'll be standing there all night then. Mayweather would never take that kind of bait
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer

Post#135 » by PeoplesChamp » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:34 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:

Hope that's not the case because Mayweather will just do his slip and slide the whole fight.

Its funny people keep hoping for an exciting fight from Mayweather because of all the hype surrounding him but in reality he's an extremely effective but boring defensive fighter.

It's going to be a soozefest unless McGregor loses his patience and attacks. Which is exactly what Mayweather wants. The fight would then be over.
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,421

Post#136 » by JXL » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:37 pm

Their trash talk can garner more buys than the fight itself.
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,495

Post#137 » by j4remi » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:05 pm

So we got Conor with Racial gaffes yesterday and Floyd with a homophobic gaffe today. The promoters are probably glad this tour is over, what a dumb idea to have these guys do 20 minute monologues every day for four straight days while traveling all over the place. Floyd likely wins the fight but MMA fight promotion looks great after the way these cats fumbled such a tailor made marketing juggernaut.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#138 » by EricAnderson » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:04 pm

Floyd doesn't have the ability to match wits verbally with Connor so he resulted in saying faggyt
offense
RealGM
And1: 4,361

Post#139 » by offense » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:06 pm

EricAnderson wrote:Floyd doesn't have the ability to match wits verbally with Connor so he resulted in saying faggyt

Connor was corny, I don't see anything impressive.
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer

Post#140 » by PeoplesChamp » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:07 pm

camillepd wrote:It is racist that Connor addressed Mayweather, a 40 year old Black man as "boy."

If he is ignorant of history, then no. And I didn't take it as such.

But, I also find it troubling when people are ignorant of such things. And when people who are ignorant attack people who are sensitive to such things.

And it's not something to be dismissed because people feel annoyed at having to be mindful of such things. Political correctness & diversity have somehow become dirty words, and that is troubling to me as well, and I'm far from the sensitive type.

McGregor has shown a willingness to cross lines in his trash talk. Which is bound to happen when you go as far as he does.

In short, he may not have had racist intentions, but, you are responsible for what comes out of your mouth, so be ready for people to not cut you slack. Just as you may not feel you're responsible for being mindful of how people feel, people are not responsible for the negative consequences that may come your way from what you say.

Return to New York Knicks