Horry:"Stars Have to Dumb Down Their Game With The Spurs", Blames Pop for Fisher's '.4' shot

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

theforumblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,893

Re: Horry:"Stars Have to Dumb Down Their Game With The Spurs", Blames Pop for Fisher's '.4' shot 

Post#61 » by theforumblue » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:29 pm

Horry knows how to play. He got a great feel for the game. More often than not in especially in bigger games (since he didn't really care about rs) he'll be at the right place at the right time either defense or offense. He's also supremely confident which is why he couldn't give a **** that pop was yelling at him. Pop was probably wrong about whatever just went down. Phil initially made the same mistake with Horry before he realized Horry knows what he's doing.
screw these absolute garbage refs
KrAzY3
Starter
And1: 2,527

Re: Horry:"Stars Have to Dumb Down Their Game With The Spurs", Blames Pop for Fisher's '.4' shot 

Post#62 » by KrAzY3 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:40 pm

Knrstz wrote:Never mind that he implemented the system, the point remains- if popovich didn't build a successful winning culture at the spurs then he wouldn't be a successful winning coach. He is nothing more than a product of himself.

This reads like you are being sarcastic and giving Pop a lot of credit, but I'm too new here to figure out if that's how you wanted it to read or not.
Speedlot
Lead Assistant
And1: 697

Post#63 » by Speedlot » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:41 pm

That's just how it is really. "kobe won championships because he had phil and triangle". Now it's "phil can't win because he doesn't have kobe, or triangle sucks."

THe pop hate is gonna come soon enough when his team can't perform anymore. Which is bullcrap really but w/e.
druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,145

Post#64 » by druggas » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:45 pm

OdomFan wrote:
sjballer03 wrote:
Woodsanity wrote:His opinion is bad honestly. This is the same guy who said Hakeem was 20x better than Duncan, he clearly has an agenda against the Spurs and acts like he is way better than he really is when he was just a solid role player who ring chased.

Ring chased?! He won two rings with his first team, the Rockets. :crazy:

and then he chased rings by playing for 2 more championship caliber teams. Sounds like a ring chaser to me.

Laker's traded for Horry. Then when they got Malone and Payton, they didn't offer Horry a contract, but SA did. Where does the ring chasing come in?
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,474

Post#65 » by Ballings7 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:49 pm

G35 wrote:
Kevin Johnson wrote:I was shocked when I saw Pop yell frantically at Pau Gasol for not running a play right in the playoffs. He continued yelling at him after time out with Gasol timidly apologizing.

I can understand why NBA veterans would not put up with that and not surprised that Aldridge tired of that really quick. Remember, Rodman said Pops has a big ego and thinks he's god.

People love to put Pop on a pedestal but every coach has their flaws. Even Phil Jackson's rep has taken a big hit lately and Riley is not revered as he once was.

And people think that if Kevin Garnett switched places with Tim Duncan they would have done the same. Not in a million years, Pop has his own particular way of doing things and he was lucky to have Duncan who took it. KG would not take that. Shaq wouldn't take it, Lebron, Kobe, Jordan wouldn't take what Pop dishes out.

I can see why Pop does it to promote a certain culture and way of doing things but superstar players are not hearing that anymore. Players have more power now and getting more everyday. They see how Lebron is running his team and they are going to want to do the same thing or they will leave......

Gotta disgree with the LeBron and Kobe mentions, considering how highly LeBron and Kobe respects Popovich in recent and active time:

Also LeBron respects winners and good competitors... Spurs beat him in 2007, almost did in 2013 - went to 7 games, last two being down to the final minutes, and beat him in 2014. Spurs have routinely played the Cavs well in regular season since he went there in 2014, as well.

LeBron also highly respects Kawhi Leonard, and Leonard plays him very well and has won multiple matchups against him.

[/youtube]

Kobe on Popovich:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/02/20/popovich-on-all-star-practice-one-on-one-with-kobe-he-elbowed-me/

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/02/kobe-bryant-gregg-popovich-all-star-game-practice-legend

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2598274-gregg-popovich-and-kobe-bryant-share-touching-post-game-moment

LeBron or Kobe would of been major pieces on the team during the periods when it was possible to leave their longer-tenured teams, and are at the same level competitively as Popovich is, which is why he will get on the stars as hard as the rookies. Pretty easy to understand, especially in the heat of the game or mid-season push. I think they would feed off of it and only get better.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
andrewww
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#66 » by andrewww » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:53 pm

I think the one overlooked aspect of Pop and the Spurs organization is that they've adapted their personnel to the changes in the game, going from a defensively oriented interior team to one that prioritized spacing and ball movement on offense.

Pop has gotten a bit cute at times such as subbing out Duncan in 2013 (this is a comparable example of overthinking or not going by instinct that Horry was eluding to), but by in large his overall body of work speaks for itself.

I think where Phil is underrated is his development of players that Pop def gets a lot of credit for. See Sasha lol.
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,634

Post#67 » by OdomFan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:56 pm

druggas wrote:
OdomFan wrote:
sjballer03 wrote:
Ring chased?! He won two rings with his first team, the Rockets. :crazy:

and then he chased rings by playing for 2 more championship caliber teams. Sounds like a ring chaser to me.

Laker's traded for Horry. Then when they got Malone and Payton, they didn't offer Horry a contract, but SA did. Where does the ring chasing come in?

So what is your definition of a ring chaser then if it has nothing to do with trades or signing with a team with the best chance at winning?
KrAzY3
Starter
And1: 2,527

Post#68 » by KrAzY3 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:01 pm

OdomFan wrote:So what is your definition of a ring chaser then if it has nothing to do with trades or signing with a team with the best chance at winning?

If the player didn't force the trade to that team, then he can't possibly be ring chasing. Ring chasing means the player himself is doing the chasing.

He was drafted by the Rockets. He was traded to the Suns. He was traded to the Lakers. Finally, he signed with the Spurs. The thing is, his family lived in Texas. So, the only time you could argue, in any way shape or form that he was ring chasing was when he signed with the Spurs. Otherwise, the guy was just playing the hand he was dealt, obviously...
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Re: RE: Re: Horry:"Stars Have to Dumb Down Their Game With The Spurs", Blames Pop for Fisher's '.4' shot 

Post#69 » by DoItALL9 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:03 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
Gus McCrae wrote:The strange thing is I could've sworn Horry said Pop was a better coach than Phil Jackson about a year ago.

His grudges are very fluid and ever-changing.

He rated Rudy T first
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Re: RE: Re: Horry:"Stars Have to Dumb Down Their Game With The Spurs", Blames Pop for Fisher's '.4' shot 

Post#70 » by DoItALL9 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:09 pm

G35 wrote:
Kevin Johnson wrote:I was shocked when I saw Pop yell frantically at Pau Gasol for not running a play right in the playoffs. He continued yelling at him after time out with Gasol timidly apologizing.

I can understand why NBA veterans would not put up with that and not surprised that Aldridge tired of that really quick. Remember, Rodman said Pops has a big ego and thinks he's god.

People love to put Pop on a pedestal but every coach has their flaws. Even Phil Jackson's rep has taken a big hit lately and Riley is not revered as he once was.

And people think that if Kevin Garnett switched places with Tim Duncan they would have done the same. Not in a million years, Pop has his own particular way of doing things and he was lucky to have Duncan who took it. KG would not take that. Shaq wouldn't take it, Lebron, Kobe, Jordan wouldn't take what Pop dishes out.

I can see why Pop does it to promote a certain culture and way of doing things but superstar players are not hearing that anymore. Players have more power now and getting more everyday. They see how Lebron is running his team and they are going to want to do the same thing or they will leave......

Kawhi?
BeatDaCavs420
RealGM
And1: 22,483

Post#71 » by BeatDaCavs420 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:28 pm

He sounds like a arrogant douche bag
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,561

Post#72 » by jpengland » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:29 pm

A 0.4 3 point fadeaway?

I'll take that EVERY time as the defense. That **** misses 98% of the time. There wasn't a problem with the defense on that play. It was a miracle shot.
Jazz9
Analyst
And1: 6,488

Post#73 » by Jazz9 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:32 pm

Just imagine how good Kawhi would be if he didn't have to dumb himself down to be a mere 25.5/5.8/3.5 player as a Spur! :noway:
Yank3525
Starter
And1: 2,352

Post#74 » by Yank3525 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:36 pm

tomacorandom wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
tomacorandom wrote:
Better player than the knicks have had in 20 years

Stop trolling :roll:

You wish I were trolling :roll:
No future HoFers who have played in that franchise in last 20 years. Just accept it

Melo is going to the HOF.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,315

Post#75 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:40 pm

Yank3525 wrote:
tomacorandom wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

No future HoFers who have played in that franchise in last 20 years. Just accept it

He is, but he really shouldn't be.
bluemj32
Rookie
And1: 938

Post#76 » by bluemj32 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:45 pm

Hindenburg wrote:Simmons just turned down more money and went to the Magic to not play for Pop

Pop is notoriously difficult to play for and get along with

Your joking right? Simmons went after more money in Orlando (which he should, from a the hard work he put in)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using RealGM mobile app
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,072
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#77 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:45 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:Popovich can always be questioned until he wins a championship without Tim Duncan.

Duncan has to be questioned until he wins a ring without Pop.

Also, the "stars" that struggled were for the most part, not very efficient, and "dumbing" down their game actually meant they had to play smarter, more efficient basketball that they weren't accustomed to.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
tomacorandom
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,222

Post#78 » by tomacorandom » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:48 pm

Yank3525 wrote:
tomacorandom wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

3/7 PO seasons. Being 1st round exit. Hell of a career in NY.
He may be a HoF. He'll never be a HoF by what he has done in NY.
Yank3525
Starter
And1: 2,352

Post#79 » by Yank3525 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:51 pm

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:
Yank3525 wrote:
tomacorandom wrote:

He is, but he really shouldn't be.

:lol:

Melo's resume is not that far off from Dominque Wilkins. Hell, Mitch Richmond is in the HOF, but somehow Melo shouldn't.
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,634

Post#80 » by OdomFan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:55 pm

People forget that basketball is also about the fans and fact is Melos always been one of the most popular/entertaining. So for that he could get in the Hall of Fame. Vince Carter, TMac, Iverson, etc. These guys didn't win championships but they brought a lot of money to the NBA and created a lot of memories. I have no doubt that they will get into the Hall of Fame.

Can't forget that Melo was a big part in that 08 US team winning a gold medal. All of that means something.

Return to The General Board