Do the Celtics have a good chance of making the 2018 Finals?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,235

Re: Do the Celtics have a good chance of making the 2018 Finals? 

Post#61 » by PhilBlackson » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:37 pm

Celtics chance is no better than the Raptors, Wizards or Bucks.

For this year alone I think the Celtics and Raptors are pretty much even until Brown and Tatum develop more prominent roles, not to mention the 2 more top draft picks that could be even better players next year and then the Raptors fall back in the pecking order.

But the team to watch that no one seems to be talking about is the Bucks!

They showed glimpses in the second half of the season and to start the 1st rd of the Playoffs last year that Giannis is knocking at the door. I'm not saying Giannis is as good as LeBron because he's not but at the same age he's not far off at all either. Ironically the Cavs had the exact same record 42-40 when LBJ was the same age I believe or possibly a year younger but the next year became a 50W team which is exactly what I expect the Bucks to do.

While I'm predicting that it happens this year, by next year I'm willing to bet the Celtics and Raptors will become much like what the Celts Big 3 and Billups Pistons were to LeBron, where eventually the superstar overpowers the better team because they simply can not contain him. I'm taking the Bucks as the complete darkhorse next year to make the ECF and it will be Giannis' first attempt to take the EC throne from LeBron (which will obv be unsuccessful) but nonetheless I think they're coming and then subsequently in a couple years or so time will need to look out for Philly lol
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,311

Post#62 » by Ambrose » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:46 pm

vexen wrote:Celts are not even better than the Raptors

Last year I don't think people understand, Patterson and Carroll lost them big games with their poor shooting. Raps young players (like Powell who is gonna bust out) are getting better and I really like the OG pick the time off could really help his shooting. Plus a full year and training camp with Ibaka will be huge. I also feel the Celts JUST lost their best defenders.. Who's stopping Demar now? Do people forget what he did to the Cetics? Demar dropped 40 on the celts twice... and they beat them without Lowry and please lets not forget what Lowry does to the Celtics as well..

#school #PHD LMAO

The Raptors window closed. I have no idea why anyone brings them up in these threads. Boston has the assets, Milwaukee has the potential, Toronto has nothing. They are the 4th best team in the East at best behind Cle, Bos, Was.
vexen
Veteran
And1: 886

Post#63 » by vexen » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:49 pm

Ambrose wrote:

Last year I don't think people understand, Patterson and Carroll lost them big games with their poor shooting. Raps young players (like Powell who is gonna bust out) are getting better and I really like the OG pick the time off could really help his shooting. Plus a full year and training camp with Ibaka will be huge. I also feel the Celts JUST lost their best defenders.. Who's stopping Demar now? Do people forget what he did to the Cetics? Demar dropped 40 on the celts twice... and they beat them without Lowry and please lets not forget what Lowry does to the Celtics as well..

#school #PHD LMAO

The Raptors window closed. I have no idea why anyone brings them up in these threads. Boston has the assets, Milwaukee has the potential, Toronto has nothing. They are the 4th best team in the East at best behind Cle, Bos, Was.

You do realize Lowry missed like 20 games? How good would the cetics do if they lost IT for 20 games? I mean still only 2 games back from the cetics, don't buy into the US media they don't know what they are talking about. Go back and watch the Celtics Raptors match up.. you guys have no idea how to stop Demar and now bradley is gone..
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,168

Post#64 » by mademan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:50 pm

they might be better than the Raps/Wiz (i dont think they are), but they are definately much closer to them than Cleveland
MrPerfect1
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,425

Post#65 » by MrPerfect1 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:57 pm

BOS has a higher chance of losing in Round 1 than they do of making the Finals
yesh
Rookie
And1: 1,864

Post#66 » by yesh » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:02 pm

Re-watch highlights from Cavs' playoff run last year, and you'll see there is way too much of a gap to close without something abnormal happening like injuries.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#67 » by flow » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:12 pm

If they had pulled off the trade for Marc Gasol (and somehow retained Bradley), they'd be right there.
KP6
Rookie
And1: 619

Post#68 » by KP6 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:16 pm

Celtics are far from being done, no way they do not add in a big man who can rebound .... if they do not? They not going to the finals, as this team will struggle on the glass.
xfactor
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,592

Post#69 » by xfactor » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:19 pm

SK21209 wrote:15-20% chance imo. It's pretty rare for a team to make the Finals 4 years in a row; the Heat were the first to do it in a while and they fell apart in the Finals pretty quickly. The second LeBron can't be Superman every night in the playoffs they're vulnerable

fileman3 wrote:LBJ will be 33 next year lol. this cant last forever

Interesting ongoing themes. Continual and repeated underestimation of the Spurs and LBJ. Yet time after time, they remind everyone not to sleep on them.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,902

Post#70 » by FlatearthZorro » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:31 pm

hookshot199 wrote:
Boston34Bg wrote:
Nightperzon wrote:Better chance Celtics lose first round than make the finals.

What do u wanna bet that if our starting 5 is healthy we win the first round. I'm open. Holla at me.

Agree 100%. The problem is whether it's reasonable to expect both Horford and IT to play injury-free and, in the case of IT, to have another career year. Secondly, Horford is 31 and, it's not clear to many of us, if he's durable enough to play center anymore. But if they're both healthy: first round absolutely.

IT has been one of the healthiest players in the league. He rarely misses games and Horford aside from some freak injuries has been able to play as well(shoulder injury that put him out for a season ?)..
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#71 » by jpengland » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:39 pm

No.

They didn't address the big issues with their roster, rebounding and rim protection.

Bradley is also a big loss defensively.

Hayward is a great player but doesn't address their problems.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,376

Post#72 » by robbie84 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:41 pm

They now have someone that Lebron will have to guard in Hayward. Lebron has had it easy vs the Cs since Pierce left.
They also now have Hayward and Morris to throw at Lebron along with Crowder and a bigger, stronger Jaylen Brown.

So yeah, their chances have improved but theyre still only about a 20%-25% chance at an upset over 7 games. They might win 2 or 3 games but Lebron is Lebron.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#73 » by FlatearthZorro » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:43 pm

vexen wrote:
Ambrose wrote:

#school #PHD LMAO

You do realize Lowry missed like 20 games? How good would the cetics do if they lost IT for 20 games? I mean still only 2 games back from the cetics, don't buy into the US media they don't know what they are talking about. Go back and watch the Celtics Raptors match up.. you guys have no idea how to stop Demar and now bradley is gone..

You do realize Avery missed 30 games and he was our 2nd best scorer before his injury. You do realize IT missed 5 games and Horford missed 15. Jae also missed around 10. We were the 2nd or 3rd most injured team in the league, Jazz were #1 if I'm not mistaking. Get a grip.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#74 » by Catchall » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:45 pm

How's IT's hip? If IT can't play near the level he played last year, the Celts may take a step back this year, even with Hayward.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#75 » by FlatearthZorro » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:47 pm

Catchall wrote:How's IT's hip?

I don't know, bro, I thought it was a fake injury and he just quit? Seems every1 that's not a Celtics fan knows a lot about IT's injury, so you tell me..
Good assessment:

Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#76 » by Catchall » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:52 pm

Boston34Bg wrote:

I don't know, bro, I thought it was a fake injury and he just quit? Seems every1 that's not a Celtics fan knows a lot about IT's injury, so you tell me..

This was the latest...http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2717656-danny-ainge-says-isaiah-thomas-hip-injury-could-still-require-surgery
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#77 » by FlatearthZorro » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:54 pm

Catchall wrote:
Boston34Bg wrote:

This was the latest...http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2717656-danny-ainge-says-isaiah-thomas-hip-injury-could-still-require-surgery

Oh, so it's real... Shocker.
Good assessment:

Cosmic_Backlash
Junior
And1: 272

Post#78 » by Cosmic_Backlash » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:28 pm

I think if the Celtics want to make it to the finals they need to do it with IT anyways. He's a phenomenal offensive player, but just gives away too much on the defensive end.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,577

Post#79 » by Syd-TK3 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:35 pm

Cavs still a tier above Celtics and the rest of the pack.

Celtics/Raps/Wiz are all pretty equal to me and could beat each other in a series depending on home court
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#80 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:41 pm

NoBias wrote:
LloydFree wrote:The Celtics have a chance. A good chance? No.

They made changes to the roster, but I'm not sure they got significantly better. And we don't know how the locker room dynamic is going to work. Not sure their starting lineup is significantly better than the other top 5 teams in the east either. Brad Stevens' coaching is probably their most valuable asset though, and likely gives them a shot.

Teams with the top players usually get to the Finals. The Cavs, Wizards and Bucks have the best player on the court, whenever those teams get to meet the Celtics.

Cavaliers: James, Irving and Love
Celtics: Hayward, Thomas and Horford
Wizards: Wall, Beal and Porter
Raptors: Derozen, Lowry and Ibaka
Bucks: Antetokuonmpo, Middleton and Monroe

Looking at it, If Milwaukee gets rid of Dellavedova, picks up a half decent PG, and Parker comes back 90%, they may have a better and deeper rotation than Boston.

Not the Wizards. Boston proved it this year, and would beat them again if they met.

If Thomas and Wall have the same health issues again next postseason -- i.e. Thomas about to be shut down or injury and Wall having only normal late season wear and tear -- Wall will again be the slightly better player of the two.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".

Return to The General Board