Wojnarowski: Trail Blazers Want Carmelo Anthony To Waive No-Trade Clause For Portland

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

PDX MM
Veteran
And1: 959

Re: Wojnarowski: Trail Blazers Want Carmelo Anthony To Waive No-Trade Clause For Portland 

Post#21 » by PDX MM » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:55 pm

Part of me believes this is just a smoke screen. I guess this shows how much the Knicks must want Harkless but if they are not willing to take Turner or Crabbe there simply isn't any trade that can be done.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,230

Re: Wojnarowski: Trail Blazers Want Carmelo Anthony To Waive No-Trade Clause For Portland 

Post#22 » by Papi_swav » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:35 pm

Feel bad for Nurkic, guys are going to be blowing by Lillard, McCollum and Melo.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,053

Post#23 » by og15 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:55 pm

What can Portland offer contract wise that is better than what Houston is offering (Ryan Anderson)? Don't they have similarly poor contracts that they want to offer?
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,141

Post#24 » by cucad8 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:57 pm

og15 wrote:What can Portland offer contract wise that is better than what Houston is offering (Ryan Anderson)? Don't they have similarly poor contracts that they want to offer?

Harkless, Leonard, Davis, and Vonleh for Anthony and O'Quinn?
NY supposedly covets Harkless. Davis is serviceable and expiring. Vonleh a PF prospect to take a look at next to Porzingas. Leonard a bad contract, but less than 1/2 of what Anderson makes.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,673

Post#25 » by Pointgod » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:23 pm

I honestly don't get people on this site that are like "Why would Portland want Melo?". Well some team's aren't exactly on the let's give up being competitive because of Golden State band wagon. You complain about lack of quality in the NBA then bemoan a team that is trying to get better. Simply put Melo is the best available talent that a team like Portland can get with their assets and if he opts out they clear almost 30 million off their cap win win. Aminu can handle the defensive assignments and Nurkic will provide rim defence. This will make Portland more competitive, the only thing that sucks is that the West gets even stronger but it's a good move for a small market like Portland.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#26 » by Scalabrine » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:36 pm

Harkless/Aminu/Leonard and a future 1st for Melo would be fine by me.

Portland:
Nurkic/Collins
Vonleh/Melo/Swanigan
Melo/Turner/Layman
McCollum/Crabbe/Connaughton
Lillard/Napier

Knicks:
Hernangomez/O'Quinn/Noah
Porzingis/Aminu/Leonard
Harkless/Thomas/Kuzminskas
Hardaway/Lee/Dotson
Ntilikina/Baker/Randle
Go Knicks!
RussellandFlow
Bench Warmer
And1: 917
Location: San Francisco born & raised, Pacific Northwest living

Post#27 » by RussellandFlow » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:39 pm

I think Melo will ride it out for another season in NY before waiving his NTC to play anywhere other than Houston/Cleveland, so it is a waste of time for any other team to think he is willing to play for them.
Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Post#28 » by Hoopzilla » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:40 pm

Alienware wrote:I guess I could see why they'd shed some future money for him, but I don't agree with the supposed thinking of the management, that he would make them compete with the Spurs or Rockets of the Western.

Sent from my OnePlus 3T using Tapatalk

If they can add Melo without shedding any real talent, they would be getting much closer to the top of the West. Lillard and McCollum are averaging over 20 ppg each and on their best day, can be in the same ballpark as the Golden State backcourt. Add to that Melo and you have three very capable scorers. They wouldn't have a Draymond, but they would be getting closer the to elite of the West, I don't see San Antonio and an aging backcourt of Tony Parker and Manu stopping them with another all star added to that mix. Melo would keep Kawhi busy. If they got Melo, I could see them bringing in one more frontcourt piece to put along side Nurkic to finish off their team. That would be a very scrappy team come playoff time, if heatlhy.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#29 » by Scalabrine » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:43 pm

PDX MM wrote:Part of me believes this is just a smoke screen. I guess this shows how much the Knicks must want Harkless but if they are not willing to take Turner or Crabbe there simply isn't any trade that can be done.

No? Harkless, Aminu, and Leonard would work unless my math is off.
Go Knicks!
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,356

Post#30 » by CptCrunch » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:50 pm

Fat Melo has taken NY hostage with his no-trade clause. Completely ridiculous to ask for trade or buyout. Knicks should just pawn him off for any set of scrap contract that ends in 2019 (of course this won't happen because Fat Melo can veto anything). If Anderson's contract ended in 2019 instead of 2010, I bet the Knicks would ship his ass straight out 1 for 1.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#31 » by Sark » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:56 pm

Melo doesn't care about winning at all, so there's almost no chance he would waive his NTC for Portland.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#32 » by jpengland » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:01 pm

bon wrote:Lillard, CJ, and Melo would be the worst defensive trio in the league

This.

It would be brutal.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#33 » by pcbothwel » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:20 pm

cucad8 wrote:
og15 wrote:What can Portland offer contract wise that is better than what Houston is offering (Ryan Anderson)? Don't they have similarly poor contracts that they want to offer?

NY supposedly covets Harkless. Davis is serviceable and expiring. Vonleh a PF prospect to take a look at next to Porzingas. Leonard a bad contract, but less than 1/2 of what Anderson makes.

This is the exact same trade i was thinking.
Portland uses Aminu and Nurkic defensive ability to help the Dame/CJ/Melo flood gates and make a balanced lineup. They also will cut future salary to resign Nurkic.
NY gets a legit player in Harkless on a good contract.
The only downside is that NY can have 30M in cap space next year... do they really want to give that away for Harkless and Leonard.

Personally, I think NY/Portland need to find a 3rd team to take them and give NY expirings, which would be much easier to find for them instead of Anderson
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#34 » by Zombiesonics » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:22 pm

Suprised the number of posters ITT who don't realize how good Portland is when nurkic is healthy. If they could keep aminu or harkless, that would be some line up.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,961

Post#35 » by DusterBuster » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:27 pm

bon wrote:Lillard, CJ, and Melo would be the worst defensive trio in the league

Nurkic covers a lot defensively. Once they had him, Portland was a Top 10 defensive squad.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#36 » by DusterBuster » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:28 pm

Zombiesonics wrote:Suprised the number of posters ITT who don't realize how good Portland is when nurkic is healthy. If they could keep aminu or harkless, that would be some line up.

Nurk was only around for like 30 games, but he completely transformed that team defensively. Most casual fans didn't pay close enough attention most likely.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,167

Post#37 » by mademan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:28 pm

paulbball wrote:Fat Melo has taken NY hostage with his no-trade clause. Completely ridiculous to ask for trade or buyout. Knicks should just pawn him off for any set of scrap contract that ends in 2019 (of course this won't happen because Fat Melo can veto anything). If Anderson's contract ended in 2019 instead of 2010, I bet the Knicks would ship his ass straight out 1 for 1.

Melo hasnt asked for a trade. He hasnt held anybody hostage
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#38 » by DusterBuster » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:29 pm

Sark wrote:Melo doesn't care about winning at all, so there's almost no chance he would waive his NTC for Portland.

Unfortunately I think you're right. He cares more about where he lives or playing with his BBF's, so I don't see him waiving it for PDX either. Even though I think he'd be a better fit on Portland than on Houston.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#39 » by og15 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:51 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
cucad8 wrote:

This is the exact same trade i was thinking.
Portland uses Aminu and Nurkic defensive ability to help the Dame/CJ/Melo flood gates and make a balanced lineup. They also will cut future salary to resign Nurkic.
NY gets a legit player in Harkless on a good contract.
The only downside is that NY can have 30M in cap space next year... do they really want to give that away for Harkless and Leonard.

Personally, I think NY/Portland need to find a 3rd team to take them and give NY expirings, which would be much easier to find for them instead of Anderson

Portland was 24th in Drtg this past season with Harkless at SF, but not sure how they were with Nurkic defensively. So it might be hard for those guys to make up for the others defensively, but I don't know.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#40 » by og15 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:53 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
Sark wrote:Melo doesn't care about winning at all, so there's almost no chance he would waive his NTC for Portland.

Unfortunately I think you're right. He cares more about where he lives or playing with his BBF's, so I don't see him waiving it for PDX either. Even though I think he'd be a better fit on Portland than on Houston.
Well lucky for him, playing with his BFF's would mean playing on a team that went to the finals, or on a team that won 56 games and just added Chris Paul.

Return to The General Board