Horry:"Stars Have to Dumb Down Their Game With The Spurs", Blames Pop for Fisher's '.4' shot

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

G35
RealGM
And1: 7,704

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Horry:"Stars Have to Dumb Down Their Game With The Spurs", Blames Pop for Fisher's '.4' shot 

Post#81 » by G35 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:57 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:
G35 wrote:
Kevin Johnson wrote:I was shocked when I saw Pop yell frantically at Pau Gasol for not running a play right in the playoffs. He continued yelling at him after time out with Gasol timidly apologizing.

I can understand why NBA veterans would not put up with that and not surprised that Aldridge tired of that really quick. Remember, Rodman said Pops has a big ego and thinks he's god.

People love to put Pop on a pedestal but every coach has their flaws. Even Phil Jackson's rep has taken a big hit lately and Riley is not revered as he once was.

And people think that if Kevin Garnett switched places with Tim Duncan they would have done the same. Not in a million years, Pop has his own particular way of doing things and he was lucky to have Duncan who took it. KG would not take that. Shaq wouldn't take it, Lebron, Kobe, Jordan wouldn't take what Pop dishes out.

I can see why Pop does it to promote a certain culture and way of doing things but superstar players are not hearing that anymore. Players have more power now and getting more everyday. They see how Lebron is running his team and they are going to want to do the same thing or they will leave......

Kawhi?

Proves the point that the spurs researches a players personality and prioritizes fit over talent.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using RealGM mobile app
I'm so tired of the typical......
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,584

Re: Horry:"Stars Have to Dumb Down Their Game With The Spurs", Blames Pop for Fisher's '.4' shot 

Post#82 » by OdomFan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:01 pm

or maybe they just get to know each talent by having a conversation with them which they use to determine who they think fits the team.
bringinhinkie
General Manager
And1: 930

Re: Horry:"Stars Have to Dumb Down Their Game With The Spurs", Blames Pop for Fisher's '.4' shot 

Post#83 » by bringinhinkie » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:07 pm

this thread is loaded with garbage posts

he won big with TWO different casts around duncan

he is still thriving without duncan and was still in the mix when he was over the hill

he DEVELOPED KAWHI.. kawhi was like pick 15 or something, not #1

awful awful posts

hes the best coach in the game by a mile

----------------

horry is a fool.. he basically said "you have to know your role and play team ball to win in SA" (with his abcd anaology)

uhh yea, obviously..
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,704

Post#84 » by G35 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:28 pm

bringinhinkie wrote:this thread is loaded with garbage posts

he won big with TWO different casts around duncan

he is still thriving without duncan and was still in the mix when he was over the hill

he DEVELOPED KAWHI.. kawhi was like pick 15 or something, not #1

awful awful posts

hes the best coach in the game by a mile

----------------

horry is a fool.. he basically said "you have to know your role and play team ball to win in SA" (with his abcd anaology)

uhh yea, obviously..

He could have used Duncan last year over Pau and LaMarcus. It remains to be seen how well the Spurs are going forward without Duncan. The RS is not the playoffs.......
I'm so tired of the typical......
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#85 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:36 pm

I don't think it'll diminish perceptions of Pop if he doesn't beat the Warriors these next few seasons.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
adarsh1
Junior
And1: 62

Post#86 » by adarsh1 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:50 pm

LookToShoot wrote:He's right. Popovich isn't a flexible coach, he wants every player to mold into his one dimensional schemes. There's a reason why the Spurs draft the way they do. They need obedient soldiers to do whatever drill sargeant Popovich says.

Yep, and if I'm a fan of that team, I'd hope they keep doing it.
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,592

Post#87 » by Nate505 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:51 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:Popovich can always be questioned until he wins a championship without Tim Duncan.

Pop has 5 rings and has had a consistently good franchise forever. His legacy as the greatest coach of all time, or at least in the Top 3, is cemented.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,807

Post#88 » by og15 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:53 pm

Woodsanity wrote:Horry you aren't a star.

Jables wrote:Ah I remember now.

Horry is an absolute tool. How the hell do you dumb his game down anyway lmao, he was a genius at struggling to get near 10 points per game I'll say that much.

I think you guys are assuming that Horry was talking about himself with that quote, doesn't seem like he was, but then again, talking about McDyess and Finley as stars at the stage they were when they go to the Spurs doesn't compute. The only one is LMA, and sure there could be a slight argument for RJ being a borderline All-Star too, but the others don't make sense.

What I'm wondering is what RJ said about it too.
Cubbies2120
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,963

Post#89 » by Cubbies2120 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:55 pm

Cyrusman122000 wrote:Is anyone aware of something that happened between horry and the Spurs?
First the comments about Duncan and now this? Something must've happened

Pop did make fun of Horry once, saying that Rob's never seen a shot or a burger that he passed on :lol:
Ferulci
Starter
And1: 2,263

Post#90 » by Ferulci » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:58 pm

Go home Horry, you're drunk.
buckboy wrote:
jg77 wrote:Lavine is my dark horse MVP candidate.

That is the darkest horse that has ever galloped.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,591

Post#91 » by SelfishPlayer » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:01 pm

Nate505 wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:Popovich can always be questioned until he wins a championship without Tim Duncan.

Pop has 5 rings and has had a consistently good franchise forever. His legacy as the greatest coach of all time, or at least in the Top 3, is cemented.

If he ever retires without winning another championship then he will simply be what Phil Jackson was before joining the Lakers.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,131

Post#92 » by druggas » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:03 pm

Horry is absolutely right about the .04 shot. If he isn't instructed to cover Kobe, (who was running away from the basket by the way) then he's in better position to defend the pass to Fisher. Remember Fisher? He's the one that won the game and eventually the series.
Hoopzilla
Starter
And1: 520

Post#93 » by Hoopzilla » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:17 pm

draftnightsuit wrote:I hate how people chide Phil Jackson for having great players then act like Popovich is some genius who makes the best out of mediocre players.

Last time I checked, the Spurs were perennial playoffs contenders who couldn't get over the hump for years. Then they tanked one year and ended up with a once in a lifetime talent in Tim Duncan. Then Popovich joins the team right after.

He inherited the same exact situation as Phil Jackson.

They also had another former #1 overall pick and Hall of Famer, David Robinson, in his prime when they got Duncan. That is not something to overlook. Easy for Pop when you have two Hall of Fame big men to put out on the floor when big men ruled the league.
Kupchak9
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,492

Post#94 » by Kupchak9 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:24 pm

Wow really? Players have to dumb down their games to be successful with the Spurs? It's more like these players have to stop being dumb to be successful. Low Bball-IQ player will never succeed on the Spurs. That's not so hard to understand. That's like throwing a severely overweight person into the military.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,202

Post#95 » by Papi_swav » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:30 pm

Get this old man out of here, tired of hearing his crap. I don't understand how a guy this guy who has 7 rings be so salty after playing with the best teams out there. You was never a star bro ! I would dumb my game down if I'm going to WCF every year.
NaturalThunder
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#96 » by NaturalThunder » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:26 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:
Nate505 wrote:

If he ever retires without winning another championship then he will simply be what Phil Jackson was before joining the Lakers.

To say that Popovich can always be questioned until he wins a championship without Duncan is extremely ignorant. He won championships in different phases of Duncan's career with different supporting casts around him. He won in '99 when Robinson was still a very good player but far from the MVP caliber force he was in his prime. He won in '03 with Duncan basically being his one-man band: D-Rob was ancient, Manu was a rookie, and Parker was a 20 year old second year player. In 2005 and 2007 the "Big 3" in were in their best form with all three of Duncan, Parker, and Manu being in their prime. But then, in 2014 with Parker and Manu well out of their prime, and Duncan not being the same force he was all the way up until about 2010, Pop managed to put together another championship season by orchestrating some of the most beautiful team basketball the NBA has ever seen.

You want to question Popovich's legacy because he never won without Tim Duncan, that's fine, but it's nonsensical and you'll be one of the very, very bold few to do so.
Said in a thread about which point guards would make OKC better if they replaced Westbrook:
Coxy wrote:I think with a PG like George Hill, they'd be better than current.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,591

Post#97 » by SelfishPlayer » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:40 pm

NaturalThunder wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:
Nate505 wrote:

To say that Popovich can always be questioned until he wins a championship without Duncan is extremely ignorant. He won championships in different phases of Duncan's career with different supporting casts around him. He won in '99 when Robinson was still a very good player but far from the MVP caliber force he was in his prime. He won in '03 with Duncan basically being his one-man band: D-Rob was ancient, Manu was a rookie, and Parker was a 20 year old second year player. In 2005 and 2007 the "Big 3" in were in their best form with all three of Duncan, Parker, and Manu being in their prime. But then, in 2014 with Parker and Manu well out of their prime, and Duncan not being the same force he was all the way up until about 2010, Pop managed to put together another championship season by orchestrating some of the most beautiful team basketball the NBA has ever seen.

You want to question Popovich's legacy because he never won without Tim Duncan, that's fine, but it's nonsensical and you'll be one of the very, very bold few to do so.

Popovich will have every chance to prove just how great he is without Tim Duncan. He can never be the best coach of all time if he doesn't win without the same all time great player. That was the Tim Duncan era, not the Greg Pop era, although Pop would probably suggest that it was the Spurs era. Until the Spurs or Greg Pop win a championship without Tim Duncan then who they are can be questioned. The Spurs were pretty damn good before tanking for Tim Duncan. Today they look like the same sort of organization before the Tim Duncan era with Kawhi serving as The Admiral.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
Att
Senior
And1: 162

Post#98 » by Att » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:01 pm

sjballer03 wrote:
OdomFan wrote:
sjballer03 wrote:
Ring chased?! He won two rings with his first team, the Rockets. :crazy:

and then he chased rings by playing for 2 more championship caliber teams. Sounds like a ring chaser to me.

Nah, ring chaser doesn't apply to guys chasing more rings.

Why don't we keep expanding the definition and call Lebron a ring chaser. Better yet, let's call any kid that wants to win on the playground a ring chaser.

Actually Lebron is a ring chaser :) Only more sophisticated.. He moved to a different team to play with other great players in order to win a few championships.
smartyz456
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,692

Post#99 » by smartyz456 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:11 pm

Wtf why is McDyess included?

All those guys came to the Spurs in their prime. Dice came to the Spurs already past his prime

Hell he was already past his prime when he was with the Pistons. His prime was in Denver dropping 24 - 10 being but injuries robbed him his career
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,081

Post#100 » by SOUL » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:14 pm

BombsquadSammy wrote:The people going in on Pop are silly; his success and his legacy are made, and he's way past the point of having to prove himself.

The people going in on Horry are equally silly; he was on those teams, he has a point-of-view and a right to express it-- in fact, a duty, as he's a basketball commentator.

He has a right to express it, he just comes off as a clown.

Return to The General Board