Wojnarowski: Trail Blazers Want Carmelo Anthony To Waive No-Trade Clause For Portland

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,265

Re: Wojnarowski: Trail Blazers Want Carmelo Anthony To Waive No-Trade Clause For Portland 

Post#61 » by John Murdoch » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:16 am

InfinityZero wrote:
bon wrote:Lillard, CJ, and Melo would be the worst defensive trio in the league

Lonzo Ball - Brandon Ingram - Julius Randle - Brooke Lopez

Frontcourt yes but KCP/Ingram is actually probably middle of the pack
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
norcocredo
Rookie
And1: 1,437

Re: Wojnarowski: Trail Blazers Want Carmelo Anthony To Waive No-Trade Clause For Portland 

Post#62 » by norcocredo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:19 am

Melo has zero chance of winning a championship in Portland. The only reason to leave NY would be to win.
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#63 » by hookshot199 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:34 am

norcocredo wrote:Melo has zero chance of winning a championship in Portland. The only reason to leave NY would be to win.

And Portland wants to dump one of those bad contracts - get $18.5 mil off the books in 2019-2020.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/portland-trail-blazers/allen-crabbe-13344/
Smithers
Pro Prospect
And1: 180

Post#64 » by Smithers » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:38 am

Curry is equal to Lillard now that KD is in GS
Klay doesn't have the offensive ability that CJ has
Durant & Melo are a wash

Is it close? Absolutely. Would Portland have a slight edge? Absolutely.
Purch
Veteran
And1: 2,053

Post#65 » by Purch » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:41 am

:o
Smithers wrote:Curry is equal to Lillard now that KD is in GS
Durant & Melo are a wash

I dont know where to begin :o
ProfessorJM
Starter
And1: 1,176

Post#66 » by ProfessorJM » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:18 am

Durant & Melo are a wash

Wait, what?

Curry is farther away from Lillard than Lillard is from an average starting PG to me, but that's just my opinion. I can't even do the others...self-evident I think.
Wonderllama
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,401

Post#67 » by Wonderllama » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:31 am

Melo should think about his upcoming contract extension. Houston ain't gonna have room to give him what he wants. But maybe Portland can and actually wants to?

Melo will make the right financial decision for himself... always has.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#68 » by DusterBuster » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:37 am

Wonderllama wrote:Melo should think about his upcoming contract extension. Houston ain't gonna have room to give him what he wants. But maybe Portland can and actually wants to?

Portland won't have a ton of space unless they just decide the lux and repeater tax are nonsense. Having Dame, CJ, Nurk and Melo on massive contracts is gonna be killer.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#69 » by DusterBuster » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:38 am

Purch wrote::o
Durant & Melo are a wash

I dont know where to begin :o

Ya know, I can maybe get with him on Curry to Lillard with KD taking some of his shots. I can even get with him on Klay and CJ, since CJ is WILDLY underrated offensively for how diverse his skillset is on the offensive end of the floor.

But Melo and KD a wash..... That's a bad look dude.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#70 » by PKABOOICU » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:03 am

MaxRider wrote:
PKABOOICU wrote:
MaxRider wrote:Melo is not going to waive his no trade clause for Portland
Main reason he's willing to waive it for Houston and Cleveland is because his buddy CP3 and LeBron are there

I mean, if he can waive it for Houston, I dont see why he shouldn't waive it for Portland....Yeah, Houston has the bigger names, but Portland has the emergence of CJ McCollum, who is a great player.

Did you read my comment? It's because he wants to play with his buddy. No one close to him is in Portland. If he wants to win why he won't waive it for team like San Antonio, Toronto, well not like GSW need him.
He originally didn't even want to leave NY because he wants to stay close to his son. But Knicks want to trade him, so he said he's willing to waive it for Cleveland and Houston.

I read your comment...not every reply is an attack....Im just saying generally, that if he can waive it for Houston (who has good players) he should probably also be able to waive it for portland (who also has good players)
Birdie
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,516

Post#71 » by Birdie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:13 am

Wonderllama wrote:Melo should think about his upcoming contract extension. Houston ain't gonna have room to give him what he wants. But maybe Portland can and actually wants to?

I think that's gonna have to be the least of his worries as I don't see any "good to great" team dumping another longterm contract on him if he opts out. If he's traded, I wouldn't be surprised if he just opted into his last year and then found very few, if any, suitors willing to want to give him more than a 3yr 25-45mil max to pay him until age 37. He's gonna be in the Joe Johnson/DWill boat of coming off their huge deals and finding the market pretty dry to pay him 20mil or more.

Maybe a bad team will give him the Paul Milsap 3yr/90mil but god speed on them.

But it would sort of behoove him to get traded to either HOU or CLE so that at least have his bird rights and have the opportunity to offer him a longer deal at lesser money possibly. 3yr/66mil, 4yr/88mil, deals like that. But I seriously do not think Melo will/should be breaking the 30mil/yr barrier, I'd be shocked...
Come at the king, you best not miss...
joyeuxnoel
Bench Warmer
And1: 699

Post#72 » by joyeuxnoel » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:36 am

InfinityZero wrote:
bon wrote:Lillard, CJ, and Melo would be the worst defensive trio in the league

Lonzo Ball - Brandon Ingram - Julius Randle - Brooke Lopez

oh lord, if they didn't add KCP theyd have all negative defensive guys starting
Embiid-Simmons-Covington

Fire Colangelo
red96
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,380

Post#73 » by red96 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:45 am

Durant & Melo are a wash

Mr. Smithers, you win. This is the sig of the summer. :nod:
"Morey decided in 2007 that Steve Francis was to be the "franchise player" of the Rockets only to play what... 5 games? Morey didn't think Marc Gasol was worth a look that year,"
-baki "the Rockets fan"
gmoney411
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,821

Post#74 » by gmoney411 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:53 am

Rockets would essentially give him Ryan Anderson contract plus a few extra million. They'd have his bird rights so it wouldn't be a problem.
RightToCensor
Head Coach
And1: 7,410

Post#75 » by RightToCensor » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:08 am

I don't see Houston giving Carmelo that money unless we strike out on recruiting any All-NBA free agent in next summer's class.
nbafan38
Head Coach
And1: 5,383

Post#76 » by nbafan38 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:16 am

Anthony doesn't want to go to Portland. He wants to play with his buddies. I don't think he'll go anywhere except Houston or Cleveland and he doesn't really have to force a trade because he can leave after this season if the knicks don't trade him. However this could get ugly if the knicks don't trade him.
nbafan38
Head Coach
And1: 5,383

Post#77 » by nbafan38 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:18 am

Durant & Melo are a wash

Slight edge? Likely to get swept? Same thing right?
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#78 » by MaxRider » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:43 am

PKABOOICU wrote:
MaxRider wrote:
PKABOOICU wrote:
I mean, if he can waive it for Houston, I dont see why he shouldn't waive it for Portland....Yeah, Houston has the bigger names, but Portland has the emergence of CJ McCollum, who is a great player.

Did you read my comment? It's because he wants to play with his buddy. No one close to him is in Portland. If he wants to win why he won't waive it for team like San Antonio, Toronto, well not like GSW need him.
He originally didn't even want to leave NY because he wants to stay close to his son. But Knicks want to trade him, so he said he's willing to waive it for Cleveland and Houston.

I read your comment...not every reply is an attack....Im just saying generally, that if he can waive it for Houston (who has good players) he should probably also be able to waive it for portland (who also has good players)

He waived it for Houston mainly because of CP3. None of his buddy is playing for Portland.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,470

Post#79 » by Pattycakes » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:47 am

Durant & Melo are very different calibers of star, and this difference would be the biggest obstacle to contend with.

Corrected.

Lets be real, this trade could make Portland a 55+ win threat, but Melo doesn't automatically mean we get out of the first round...that comes with other improvements to Portland first. Mainly getting more consistency out of the bench.

The last decade, we've notoriously had one of the best starting lineups in the league, and one of the worst (if not worst) benches in the league.

This has been addressed so far this offseason through the draft, but Portland still lacks a backup PG on the level of Shawn Livingston, a starting 3/4 like Draymond or KD, a backup like Iggy, and Dame/CJ need to be on their best day to shine like Steph and Klay.

Turner and Crabbe are merely guys that contribute at an unusually high price, but Leonard is dead $. The rest of our bench only gets younger and more unproven.

A lot of the current Blazer direction rests on faith that this young roster can develop over the next few years sustainably. Melo may be a stop gap, but he's perfect for what Portland needs, help scoring for the backcourt. Melo has Nurk to feed off of, and that in itself would be a pleasure to watch.
gmoney411
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,821

Post#80 » by gmoney411 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:55 am

RightToCensor wrote:I don't see Houston giving Carmelo that money unless we strike out on recruiting any All-NBA free agent in next summer's class.

Why not both? Harden is the only player making money on the Rockets books if they move Anderson. If the Rockets tell Melo they are going to renounce him he might just opt in and take the $28MM he is owed. If you give him a DWade type 2/40-50 deal he might stay and save some cap space.

Return to The General Board