Auction draft instead of lottery draft.

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,924

Auction draft instead of lottery draft. 

Post#1 » by zimpy27 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:06 pm

Remove the lottery system and create a bidding token system.

Worst team gets most tokens, best gets least. Can trade players for other teams token rights like teams trade picks now.

Teams bid for players with tokens they accrue, similar to fantasy auction drafting. Adds another dimension as teams consider how to get multiple guys in draft instead of opting all tokens for the number one. Also allows teams trading players to get more tokens than the worst team, multiple ways to get the top pick. Reduces tanking. You will still have tanking but teams can pull them selves out of tanking faster.

Much more interesting drafting system IMO. Especially if salaries then need to match bid value.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Danny11
Rookie
And1: 817

Re: Auction draft instead of lottery draft. 

Post#2 » by Danny11 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:38 am

zimpy27 wrote:Remove the lottery system and create a bidding token system.

Worst team gets most tokens, best gets least. Can trade players for other teams token rights like teams trade picks now.

Teams bid for players with tokens they accrue, similar to fantasy auction drafting. Adds another dimension as teams consider how to get multiple guys in draft instead of opting all tokens for the number one. Also allows teams trading players to get more tokens than the worst team, multiple ways to get the top pick. Reduces tanking. You will still have tanking but teams can pull them selves out of tanking faster.

Much more interesting drafting system IMO. Especially if salaries then need to match bid value.

I love the idea honestly. It rewards good scouting and team building.

Also, it removes the luck/rigging factor when it comes to the draft order.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#3 » by zimpy27 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:47 am

Danny11 wrote:

Yes exactly, it removes the all or nothing mentality.

I don't like that draft order is linear when draft talent is always shown to be exponential with the top talent being much higher in value than the lesser talent. This is what causes the race to the bottom IMO. Most talent comes from a top 3 pick. Tokens could be given out in an exponential fashion as well.
Danny11
Rookie
And1: 817

Post#4 » by Danny11 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:49 am

zimpy27 wrote:
Danny11 wrote:

I don't like that draft order is linear when draft talent is always shown to be exponential with the top talent being much higher in value than the lesser talent. This is what causes the race to the bottom IMO. Most talent comes from a top 3 pick. Tokens could be given out in an exponential fashion as well.

Meanwhile a franchise like SA might be targeting a sleeper and will be able to poach them.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by zimpy27 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:57 am

Danny11 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Danny11 wrote:I love the idea honestly. It rewards good scouting and team building.

Meanwhile a franchise like SA might be targeting a sleeper and will be able to poach them.

Yeah, plus teams with the same record wouldn't have to be shuffled, they could get equal tokens each.

Being a token system it would be easier to correct for tanking in future. You could give tokens based on SRS which takes into account level of competition and schedule. You could give extra tokens for team record improvement.
Purch
Veteran
And1: 2,053

Post#6 » by Purch » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:58 am

Lmao, trust me when I say you don't want to open up that can of worms.

The NCAA is always accused of using black athletes as slaves, and then you want them to be part of an auction at the pro level?

I can see something controversial from a mile away. The articles write themselves.

These are the kind of things I call avoidable landminds
BlackieMamba
Sophomore
And1: 33

Post#7 » by BlackieMamba » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:05 am

Purch wrote:Lmao, trust me when I say you don't want to open up that can of worms.

The NCAA is always accused of using black athletes as slaves, and then you want them to be part of an auction at the pro level?

I can see something controversial from a mile away. The articles write themselves.

Lmao I see what you mean there...

How would the draft order go, because that would be an important factor?

Would it go in alphabetical order? Some ranking system?

Like the idea, I also would add a team can save tokens for next year but doing so you lose half your tokens. For example, 2017 = 20 tokens, Use 6 tokens this year and save the 14, So next year I have 7 tokens...

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by zimpy27 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:06 am

Purch wrote:Lmao, trust me when I say you don't want to open up that can of worms.

:roll: :roll:

It auctioning player rights, they don't have to play for the team. Makes no sense unless you consider drafting player rights an affront already?

It seems offensive to assume people/athletes would see it that way and that NBA players are all african american.

NCAA is offensive in that they don't pay their athletes, this is different.
Hellcrooner
Veteran
And1: 2,122

Post#9 » by Hellcrooner » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:26 am

Rather tan " auction" wich sounds much like slavery.

Simply, Players that declare for the " draft" are F.A and they can negotiate with any team they want but teams have x money to offer to rookies based on their record and etc like OP said.

This will also solve one of the worsts flaws in the current system wich is the loss of talent.

As in when player x that with playing time and shots would become an allstar but isntead is drafted by a team that already has a star or a promising youngster who plays the same position and is higher on the peking order thus gets the minutes and this stunts player x growth as a player, sometimes it even destroys them completely.
Purch
Veteran

Post#10 » by Purch » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:33 am

zimpy27 wrote:

It auctioning player rights, they don't have to play for the team. Makes no sense unless you consider drafting player rights an affront already?

It seems offensive to assume people/athletes would see it that way and that NBA players are all african american.

I get what you're saying, I just know how this would go over and I'm telling you the you'd have multiple articles written referencing the slave auctions, and the fact that the nba is primarily african american, with white owners bidden at an auction for talent. There's certain things that you can see coming from a away. Trust me, I have my finger on this enough to know social media would have a feild day ripping the nba.

Avoidable landmines
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#11 » by HiRez » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:35 am

Purch wrote:The NCAA is always accused of using black athletes as slaves, and then you want them to be part of an auction at the pro level?

That was exactly what I thought when I was reading the original post. While I actually like the idea of it from a basketball standpoint, the optics of it are terrible and I don't think the league wants to go down that road.
Qhawe
Sixth Man
And1: 1,700

Post#12 » by Qhawe » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:37 am

The optics wouldnt be good.

Boogie Williams: Favourite Raptor
bennjuiced34
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,009

Post#13 » by bennjuiced34 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:39 am

Edit: Wrong thread
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#14 » by zimpy27 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:39 am

Purch wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

I get what you're saying, I just know how this would go over and I'm telling you the you'd have multiple articles written referencing the slave auctions, and the fact that the nba is primarily african american, with white owners bidden at an auction for talent. There's certain things that you can see coming from a away. Trust me, I have my finger on this enough to know social media would have a feild day ripping the nba.

Avoidable landmines

Ok well admittedly I don't know the depths of racism in the USA works and how the overtones affect people there. If they would feel like slaves or people would be reminded of their slavery history because of this then obviously that's a problem.

Well what about they just use tokens to bid for picks? Same concept but "picks" is a middle man. :wink:
Purch
Veteran

Post#15 » by Purch » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:46 am

zimpy27 wrote:
Purch wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

Avoidable landmines

Ok well admittedly I don't know the depths of racism in the USA works and how the overtones affect people there. If they would feel like slaves because of this then obviously that's a problem.

The system itself makes sense. Just for optics sakes it definitely can't be called an auction lol. Op's idea isn't a bad one though. Coins for picks makes a lot of sense
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,162

Post#16 » by ElectricMayhem » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:53 am

Interesting idea. Would teams be required to use tokens for the upcoming draft or could they save them for future years? For example, could even a successful team just save its tokens for 10-15 years and get a top draft pick when they need one? Does the draft end at a set number of picks or when nobody is willing to lay down a single token for a player anymore?
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#17 » by timdunkit » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:00 am

The amount of attention tanking and the draft gets is blown out of proportion compared to the actual impact it has. At the end of the day, you want the worst teams getting the best young players. It's their best chance to improve and move up.

What would be an interesting experiment to me is if restricted free agency is removed from rookie contracts. Small market franchises would never go for it because it would reduce their control. But it would prevent teams from tanking several years in a row.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#18 » by zimpy27 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:05 am

Purch wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:
Purch wrote:

Avoidable landmines

Ok well admittedly I don't know the depths of racism in the USA works and how the overtones affect people there. If they would feel like slaves because of this then obviously that's a problem.

The system itself makes sense. Just for optics sakes it definitely can't be called an auction lol. Op's idea isn't a bad one though. Coins for picks makes a lot of sense

Haha yeah I see other concur with your regarding auction.

Direct auction of players isn't needed as the point is to create a system that allows picks to be determined by the team choosing. So you could have the tokens bid for draft picks, then use draft picks on players.

This allows a contending team add their 1st and 2nd round picks together to get one player as a higher pick. While the push back might mean you draft less from college, I think it's sometimes better for these 2nd rounders to get playing time in the G league or other leagues around the world. Plus I don't know why 60 must come from each draft when some drafts are better than others, rewarding mediocrity based on year level.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by zimpy27 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:09 am

ElectricMayhem wrote:Interesting idea. Would teams be required to use tokens for the upcoming draft or could they save them for future years? For example, could even a successful team just save its tokens for 10-15 years and get a top draft pick when they need one? Does the draft end at a set number of picks or when nobody is willing to lay down a single token for a player anymore?

Hmm haven't thought of that. Possibly you could save them but they'd have to depreciate a little i think to stop constant accumulation. Worth considering more though. That would be really cool.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#20 » by zimpy27 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:10 am

timdunkit wrote:The amount of attention tanking and the draft gets is blown out of proportion compared to the actual impact it has. At the end of the day, you want the worst teams getting the best young players. It's their best chance to improve and move up.

What would be an interesting experiment to me is if restricted free agency is removed from rookie contracts. Small market franchises would never go for it because it would reduce their control. But it would prevent teams from tanking several years in a row.

I agree with this. I prefer this drafting system for interest sake. Making sure teams get value for the player they want and not using a super early pick for choosing a need.

I think removing restricted free agency just hurts small teams. Teams in better climates, lively cities and tax benefits have a much bigger advantage over other teams in attracting free agents. It's already a bigger problem than tanking IMO and this would only add to it.

Return to The General Board