Anyone see Jason Kidd or Chris Paul in Lonzo Ball?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Soupman
Assistant Coach
And1: 759

Anyone see Jason Kidd or Chris Paul in Lonzo Ball? 

Post#1 » by Soupman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:33 am

Anyone see Jason Kidd or Chris Paul in Lonzo Ball? He looks like the making of Jason Kidd part 2 to me right now.

I mean all the Lakers need to do load up on 3pt shooters and play-makers right now.
Convert municipal and agricultural waste to refined natural gas. Sell the refined natural gas to gas companies. Use the money to provide a monthly basic income to people that earn less than $28,000 a year.
KobeBryant24
Veteran
And1: 2,167

Re: Anyone see Jason Kidd or Chris Paul in Lonzo Ball? 

Post#2 » by KobeBryant24 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:37 am

J KIDD
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,591

Post#3 » by SelfishPlayer » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:39 am

He looks more skilled than Jason Kidd at the same age.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
Soupman
Assistant Coach
And1: 759

Post#4 » by Soupman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:41 am

You can see that the offense changes when he leaves the game. Like Chris Paul or Steve Nash.
Convert municipal and agricultural waste to refined natural gas. Sell the refined natural gas to gas companies. Use the money to provide a monthly basic income to people that earn less than $28,000 a year.
-G-
Analyst
And1: 2,122

Post#5 » by -G- » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:45 am

Definitely not Chris Paul, that's a terrible comparison and tells me people haven't watched him. Not familiar enough with Kidd, but based on highlights, probably the best comparison as far as quick hitting passes, but I don't think there's a great comparison.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,739

Post#6 » by Prez » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:45 am

Not nearly as ball dominant as a guy like CP3. Lonzo is in that rare space of being an amazing playmaker without having to hold the ball that long. He's obviously different from Curry, but he has that Curry-like quality of making an offense flow extremely well not just by unselfishness but also extremely quick decision making. Runs an offense without pounding the air out of the ball.
Gil
Starter
And1: 1,283

Post#7 » by Gil » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:46 am

Lol, he's nowhere near the talent Chris Paul is.
Gil
Starter

Post#8 » by Gil » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:48 am

Prez wrote:Not nearly as ball dominant as a guy like CP3. Lonzo is in that rare space of being an amazing playmaker without having to hold the ball that long. He's obviously different from Curry, but it's that Curry-like quality of making an offense flow extremely well not only because of unselfishness but also extremely quick decision making, runs an offense without pounding the air out of the ball.

He's not ball-dominant because he has a subpar handle. Every great player with a handle is ball-dominant, it isn't exactly a bad thing like you advanced nerds love to claim it is.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,739

Post#9 » by Prez » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:48 am

Gil wrote:
Prez wrote:Not nearly as ball dominant as a guy like CP3. Lonzo is in that rare space of being an amazing playmaker without having to hold the ball that long. He's obviously different from Curry, but it's that Curry-like quality of making an offense flow extremely well not only because of unselfishness but also extremely quick decision making, runs an offense without pounding the air out of the ball.

He's not ball-dominant because he has a subpar handle. Every great player with a handle is ball-dominant, it isn't exactly a bad thing like you advanced nerds love to claim it is.

I think it has more to do with his insanely high BBIQ, but you can go with that I guess.

And no, every great player with a handle isn't ball-dominant actually. Steph Curry having a great handle but also knowing how to play without pounding the rock is one of the biggest reasons why GSW is so damn good. But I'm sure Curry's just an advanced stat nerd too.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,934

Post#10 » by DusterBuster » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:49 am

No CP3, but can see a lot of Kidd.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,511

Post#11 » by Michael Lucky » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:50 am

He's definitely more of a scorer than Kidd. Not too sure why people compare him to Kidd so much. The only thing i can think of is them looking at the rebounding numbers.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,010

Post#12 » by Lalouie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:51 am

He's nothing like cp3... He doesn't massage the defense nor need the ball time as much as Paul does. Ball is a true pg for TODAY'S GAME,, cp3 is a traditionalist.

And btw,,, cp3 actually looks to score more than Ball. In that respect Ball is more like Kidd
theforumblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,847

Post#13 » by theforumblue » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:52 am

Passes kinda like kidd in transition. Not as fast. Looking forward to seeing how he does in regular season.
screw these absolute garbage refs
theforumblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,847

Post#14 » by theforumblue » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:53 am

He's kinda almost anti cp3 in style though as far as "pass first" pgs are concerned.
screw these absolute garbage refs
Gil
Starter

Post#15 » by Gil » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:55 am

Prez wrote:
Gil wrote:

He's not ball-dominant because he has a subpar handle.

I think it has more to do with his insanely high BBIQ, but you can go with that I guess.

He isn't able to manipulate the ball & get to whatever spot on the floor he wants to like an elite ballhandler can hence why he plays off ball.

What does playing off the ball have to do with BBIQ exactly? That's the easiest part of the game.
JGOJustin
Pro Prospect
And1: 726

Post#16 » by JGOJustin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:55 am

theforumblue wrote:He's kinda almost anti cp3 in style though as far as "pass first" pgs are concerned.

Not even close. I actually think Chris being a pass first PG is a bit overblown, especially in recent years.
@JamalCristopher - Come Back To California https://soundcloud.com/jamalcristopher/california
prejt
Junior
And1: 368

Post#17 » by prejt » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:55 am

he pushes the pace just like j kidd did. his jumper might be even worse though comparing as rookies.

defensively, he is almost as aware as kidd but kidd was a lot stronger. he seems more of the lanky type.
JGOJustin
Pro Prospect
And1: 726

Post#18 » by JGOJustin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:57 am

The Jason Kidd is an apt comparison to me. But i'm not sure if a young Jason Kidd would flourish in this climate.

Can't think of a PG in today's climate who isn't a borderline prolific scorer.
@JamalCristopher - Come Back To California https://soundcloud.com/jamalcristopher/california
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#19 » by RCM88x » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:59 am

He reminds me of literally the perfect PG for Golden States offense that's for sure.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
InWestWeTrust
Sixth Man
And1: 657

Post#20 » by InWestWeTrust » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:59 am

This might be way off, haven't actually watched him play but...

His highlights are Rafer Alston-esque. Passing wise and how he finishes at the rim.

Return to The General Board