Anyone see Jason Kidd or Chris Paul in Lonzo Ball?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,976

Re: Anyone see Jason Kidd or Chris Paul in Lonzo Ball? 

Post#21 » by PerkinsFor3 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:00 am

How are CP and Kidd alike? Lonzo reminds me.somewhat of Kidd, although Kidd was a better defender and much stronger. To say Lonzo is more skilled than rookie Kidd is silly as well, he wasnt drafted close to Glenn Robinson (arguably one of the best college players ever) and Grant Hill for nothing.

Also, offence obviously changes when a different player comes in, but what has been ACTUALLY interesting is how well players have been prodicing when Lonzo is off the floor. Carusso has been terrific for them.

Brings me to the silliness of people stating Kuzma is made by Ball. When Ball sits, Kuzma does well too. Matter of fact: Balls numbers are helped by Kuzma playing incredible and finding the right spots as vice versa. They play really well together. Hoping for Randle he is just as good of a combination with Ball, or he'll be out the door.
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#22 » by pelifan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:04 am

He just looks ok to me. I see some Kidd in him but theres a limit to how good you can be offensively when you can only drive in straight lines.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,755

Post#23 » by Prez » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:06 am

Gil wrote:What does playing off the ball have to do with BBIQ exactly? That's the easiest part of the game.

Being able to make smart basketball decisions & great passes quickly without pounding the air out of the ball and compromising the flow of the offense is really not as easy as you're making it out to be.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,048

Post#24 » by Lalouie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:07 am

PerkinsFor3 wrote:Matter of fact: Balls numbers are helped by Kuzma playing incredible and finding the right spots as vice versa.

Well, playing with Ball demands that you be where you're supposed to, not the other way around. That's how Ball makes them better. Or at least that's what Magic and Walton says
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant

Post#25 » by PerkinsFor3 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:13 am

Lalouie wrote:
PerkinsFor3 wrote:Matter of fact: Balls numbers are helped by Kuzma playing incredible and finding the right spots as vice versa.

Well, playing with Ball demands that you be where you're supposed to, not the other way around. That's how Ball makes them better. Or at least that's what Magic and Walton says

Basketball demands that you be where you're supposed to be...
theforumblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,891

Post#26 » by theforumblue » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:14 am

JGOJustin wrote:
theforumblue wrote:He's kinda almost anti cp3 in style though as far as "pass first" pgs are concerned.

Not even close. I actually think Chris being a pass first PG is a bit overblown, especially in recent years.

Yeah but we got the Westbrooks and dames on the other end of the spectrum, so compared to them cp3 falls in the other end.
screw these absolute garbage refs
JGOJustin
Pro Prospect
And1: 726

Post#27 » by JGOJustin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:18 am

theforumblue wrote:
JGOJustin wrote:
theforumblue wrote:He's kinda almost anti cp3 in style though as far as "pass first" pgs are concerned.

Not even close. I actually think Chris being a pass first PG is a bit overblown, especially in recent years.

Yeah but we got the Westbrooks and dames on the other end of the spectrum, so compared to them cp3 falls in the other end.

I mean he averages almost 19 a game in only 30 minutes. Per 36 I'm assuming he's at like 21 a game or something with 11ast. I mean you're right he's not as prolific as a dame or russ scoring wise, but anyone who scores 19 a night in only 30 minutes a night as a point wouldn't be classified as a "pass first" pg if his name wasn't Chris Paul.

IMO, he's been typecasted as that and while he does pass, he also looks to score a ton.
@JamalCristopher - Come Back To California https://soundcloud.com/jamalcristopher/california
bon
General Manager
And1: 13,395

Post#28 » by bon » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:20 am

He's not CP3 at all. CP3 is a midrange monster and completely controls the game in the halfcourt.

He's much more reminiscent of Jason Kidd, where he can grab the rebound and cause chaos in the open court.
LAL
Sixth Man
And1: 2,860

Post#29 » by LAL » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:26 am

I'm glad people are struggling to find a strong comparison for Lonzo's game. It tells me that he is a unique and rare talent and may potentially have the ability to impact the game in a way we haven't seen. He has been a tremendous asset for every team he has ever played for and does not appear to be slowing down. His game clearly has some holes, like all players, but the fact his game cannot be easily categorized is a sign of the enormous potential he has.
theforumblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,891

Post#30 » by theforumblue » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:29 am

JGOJustin wrote:
theforumblue wrote:
JGOJustin wrote:

I mean he averages almost 19 a game in only 30 minutes. Per 36 I'm assuming he's at like 21 a game or something with 11ast. I mean you're right he's not as prolific as a dame or russ scoring wise, but anyone who scores 19 a night in only 30 minutes a night as a point wouldn't be classified as a "pass first" pg if his name wasn't Chris Paul.

IMO, he's been typecasted as that and while he does pass, he also looks to score a ton.

Oh ok yeah I agree. I was thinking in terms of cp3 dictating the whole possession whereas lonzo lets the ball move around. Yeah he does look to score more for sure.
screw these absolute garbage refs
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by PerkinsFor3 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:33 am

CP still creates more points for others than he makes himself. Pass first if you ask me.

Thoughts on Balls defense? Obviously quick small guys like DSJ give him fits. Will Walton hide him on D? Is that possible in the guard heavy modern day NBA?
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,765

Post#32 » by Upperclass » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:39 am

I see young Steve Smith.. when people kept thinking he could point guard in the NBA. Ball plays an unsustainable style of basketball at point guard. He can't penetrate, play pick and roll or run a half court offense. His only benefit is in an open, fastbreak offense. And the Lakers donot have the horses to play that style in the NBA.

It'll be interesting to watch the reactions when Alex Caruso ends up starting more games at point guard than Ball this year.
getitdone323
Sixth Man
And1: 2,760

Post#33 » by getitdone323 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:40 am

PerkinsFor3 wrote:CP still creates more points for others than he makes himself. Pass first if you ask me.

Thoughts on Balls defense? Obviously quick small guys like DSJ give him fits. Will Walton hide him on D? Is that possible in the guard heavy modern day NBA?

Magic and Luke both have stated that KCP will most likely be taking the other team's best perimeter player. In the west, thats usually the PG. he will probably attempt to chase klay around, and i think he ends up gurading ariza when they play houston and put ingram and harden.
getitdone323
Sixth Man

Post#34 » by getitdone323 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:41 am

Upperclass wrote:I see young Steve Smith.. when people kept thinking he could point guard in the NBA. Ball plays an unsustainable style of basketball at point guard. He can't penetrate, play pick and roll or run a half court offense. His only benefit is in an open, fastbreak offense. And the Lakers donot have the horses to play that style in the NBA.

It'll be interesting to watch the reactions when Alex Caruso ends up starting more games at point guard than Ball this year.

I wish there could be a way to wager on your confidence on that last statement.

Nance jr, randle, clarkson, ingram, kcp, brewer are not the greatest players but they sure can run up and down a court.
TheWolfoftheNBA
Sophomore
And1: 125

Post#35 » by TheWolfoftheNBA » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:42 am

Lalouie wrote:He's nothing like cp3... He doesn't massage the defense nor need the ball time as much as Paul does. Ball is a true pg for TODAY'S GAME,, cp3 is a traditionalist. And btw,,, cp3 actually looks to score more than Ball. In that respect Ball is more like Kidd

/Thread
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#36 » by Jkam31 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:44 am

He's both players plus Kawhi defense

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
TheWolfoftheNBA
Sophomore
And1: 125

Post#37 » by TheWolfoftheNBA » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:46 am

LAL wrote:I'm glad people are struggling to find a strong comparison for Lonzo's game. It tells me that he is a unique and rare talent and may potentially have the ability to impact the game in a way we haven't seen. He has been a tremendous asset for every team he has ever played for and does not appear to be slowing down. His game clearly has some holes, like all players, but the fact his game cannot be easily categorized is a sign of the enormous potential he has.

Theres no correlation of not being categorized and for that having enormous potential, but nonetheless I'm a huge fan as people already know.

He's a cool kid, first and foremost. Doesn't get phased out, no panic, he's just smooth.

My thing on him now is his defense, it looks like Isiah and him are the worst pG defenders in the L. He really needs to use his length and play harder defensively. Those habits start now.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,912

Post#38 » by Mulhollanddrive » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:47 am

I don't watch those types of movies.
getitdone323
Sixth Man

Post#39 » by getitdone323 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:47 am

Jkam31 wrote:He's both players plus Kawhi defense

why are you so angry all the time with your posts? you see to have alot of hate towards anything laker related? did something bad happen to you or your family that was lakers related? if so, then i understand. If not, i am curious to know if putting angry/trolling/hateful posts really fullfills the darkness in you? i hope you find peace my man.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Veyron
Senior
And1: 509

Post#40 » by Veyron » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:00 am

No I cannot see Jason Kidd (great defender) in Ball **** one. One part of the game is not enough to be compared with other player.

Return to The General Board