Las Vegas Summer league - July 7-17, 2017

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Re: Las Vegas Summer league - July 7-17, 2017 

Post#621 » by karkinos » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:16 am

not sure why so much dsj hate
no he's not the passer lonzo is, but he's a scoring guard first and everyone knew that
his one on one talent is incredible for his age. he has huge upside despite his history of acl injury.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,010

Post#622 » by Lalouie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:17 am

KobeBryant24 wrote:
Nowitness wrote:DSJ with the longest ball roll I've ever seen lol

:lol: all the way to the 3 pt line

If the point of the ball roll is to conserve seconds why doesn't the defense cover the guard and force him to pick it up
Lalouie
RealGM

Post#623 » by Lalouie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:19 am

karkinos wrote:not sure why so much dsj hate
no he's not the passer lonzo is, but he's a scoring guard first and everyone knew that
his one on one talent is incredible for his age. he has huge upside despite his history of acl injury.

We'll why all the argument about Ball 's shooting when that's irrelevant?
Lalouie
RealGM

Post#624 » by Lalouie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:22 am

cycl0nus wrote:
KobeBryant24 wrote:Lonzo haters ( that didnt watch the game ) : " looking at the box score it looks like DSJ out played Lonzo !!! "

:lol: :lol: haha, lonzo destroyed dsj in the first half and had a double double with fries 2-3 minutes before the end of the first half. every hater focused on lonzos offense, but he'll be alright. lonzo coulda had another triple with dsj being the victim

Reminds me of the story about ty cobb hitting a bunch of home runs in practice and then saying hitting homers is easy. Smith is a home run hitter
NaturalThunder
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#625 » by NaturalThunder » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:51 am

Duke4life831 wrote:This was the Lonzo game I've been waiting to see. Low shot attempts but highly highly efficient scoring, assists left and right and low TOs. I have a hard time seeing this dude ever running a struggling offense.

Same here. His game just seems to be so ideally suited for today's NBA. Now, I know it's silly to many any grand assumptions based on summer league, but I do think Ball's ceiling is very high. He seems like a PG who, in his prime, is in the Nash/Kidd mold who never averages more than 18ish PPG but is a threat for a 5-8 year stretch in his prime to lead the league in assists while engineering a fun-to-watch, high-powered offense. He definitely has an elite floor general feel for the game. I also think he'll fall somewhere between Nash and Kidd defensively: Nash was an awful defender and Kidd was a very good overall defensive PG. I'm not sure Ball has the footspeed to ever be a good or even average on-ball defender, but his height and length and instincts could possibly make for a PG who's a solid passing lanes/off-ball defender.
Said in a thread about which point guards would make OKC better if they replaced Westbrook:
Coxy wrote:I think with a PG like George Hill, they'd be better than current.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#626 » by Spens1 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:59 am

that last quarter didn't fill me with confidence. We were beating Dallas with a stick until they caught up. I mean we won by 10 but really we should have won by at least 20.

DSJ looked legit despite the loss, honestly he was solid but i think he and Ashley were let down by their teammates. Outside those two, Burssino, Felix and Motley did something (near double double in 17 minutes is no joke), no one else did.

Lonzo this game was godly, this for me was the most impressive game thus far. I like this more than the triple doubles because he played to his strengths and didn't chuck the ball (a non-scorer like him shouldn't be taking 20 shots a game). He was selective with his shot, only taking good looks and not 3 point bombs that made no sense. His passing was good as always (i mean his passing the whole tournament has been great, even if the shot hasn't been there). Also no turnovers. Pretty much the perfect game for a pure P.G.

I now can kind of see the Kuzma hype. Sure it isn't their always but today i see what the intention was. a 3&D guy who is super athletic and has potential to grow into something really good.

Carruso is still a scrub and Thomas had about the least impressive 20 point game on good shooting percentages i've seen (if you can't keep the ball, pass the damn thing).
Camping Fan
Senior
And1: 215

Post#627 » by Camping Fan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:04 am

Spens1 wrote:that last quarter didn't fill me with confidence. We were beating Dallas with a stick until they caught up. I mean we won by 10 but really we should have won by at least 20.

DSJ looked legit despite the loss, honestly he was solid but i think he and Ashley were let down by their teammates. Outside those two, Burssino, Felix and Motley did something (near double double in 17 minutes is no joke), no one else did.

Lonzo this game was godly, this for me was the most impressive game thus far. I like this more than the triple doubles because he played to his strengths and didn't chuck the ball (a non-scorer like him shouldn't be taking 20 shots a game). He was selective with his shot, only taking good looks and not 3 point bombs that made no sense. His passing was good as always (i mean his passing the whole tournament has been great, even if the shot hasn't been there). Also no turnovers. Pretty much the perfect game for a pure P.G.

I now can kind of see the Kuzma hype. Sure it isn't their always but today i see what the intention was. a 3&D guy who is super athletic and has potential to grow into something really good.

Carruso is still a scrub and Thomas had about the least impressive 20 point game on good shooting percentages i've seen (if you can't keep the ball, pass the damn thing).

Yeah, but Ball didn't play and is the glue to greatness among the rookies. You have to remember that none of these guys have played in the real NBA yet and they still beat minimum of two teams stacked with two year veterans. Pretty good for rookies fresh out of one year of college Caruso most likely ends up in the G league, but Kuzma has been impressive. Lonzo Ball and Kyle Kuzma are pretty good and Kuzma along with one or two of the others can be developed enough to be trade bait to unload the Deng Contract. The Lakers aren't playing all of the rookies for this year alone - they are also looking for ways to get rid of Deng before the summer of 2018
Lakers 2020
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#628 » by JellosJigglin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:05 am

LakersSquad wrote:
NaturalThunder wrote:
Atmanne wrote:
Yeah, didn't shoot near this well in college. Hopefully this isn't just a hot streak.

That'd be my major concern. Only shot 32% from the college 3P line last year and he was just a 30% 3P shooter in his three college seasons. He's been lighting it up from three in summer league, though. If it carries over into the regular season, then the Lakers definitely got a huge draft day steal. However, there is a very good chance this is partially just a hot streak against inferior competition.

Regardless, he's looked phenomenal so far. A long, rangy 6'9" win who can stroke it from three? The Lakers may have very well found a late 1st round gem.

I heard he's been shooting like this since the combine or draft workouts

Kuzma shot 40% from 3 in his last 10 college games and it crossed over into the combine, workouts and now Summer League. I'm not sure at what point we can say it's not just a streak, but all I know is that jumper is WET. Also Lonzo makes the game very easy for him.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
Nowitness
General Manager
And1: 4,439

Post#629 » by Nowitness » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:10 am

Lalouie wrote:
KobeBryant24 wrote:
Nowitness wrote:DSJ with the longest ball roll I've ever seen lol

If the point of the ball roll is to conserve seconds why doesn't the defense cover the guard and force him to pick it up

For some reason the LA guard didn't try to, that's what usually happens in the big league
Nowitnessing a legend
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,511

Post#630 » by Michael Lucky » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:10 am

Duke4life831 wrote:This was the Lonzo game I've been waiting to see. Low shot attempts but highly highly efficient scoring, assists left and right and low TOs. I have a hard time seeing this dude ever running a struggling offense.

tbf he barely played the second half. Hence the low shot attempts.
Lalouie
RealGM

Post#631 » by Lalouie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:15 am

Nowitness wrote:
Lalouie wrote:
KobeBryant24 wrote:

For some reason the LA guard didn't try to, that's what usually happens in the big league

But no one does, not even in college
Michael Lucky
RealGM

Post#632 » by Michael Lucky » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:23 am

Because DJS would have picked it up and the defenders momentum would have caused him to get completely blown by. Not hard to figure out why he didn't go after it. Especially when it would have been next to impossible for the defender to have gotten the ball to begin with. It's better to just keep the defensive position.
JellosJigglin
RealGM

Post#633 » by JellosJigglin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:27 am

Michael Lucky wrote:Because DJS would have picked it up and the defenders momentum would have caused him to get completely blown by. Not hard to figure out why he didn't go after it. Especially when it would have been next to impossible for the defender to have gotten the ball to begin with. It's better to just keep the defensive position.

Exactly. But sometimes all it takes is a quick juke by the defender to get the guy to pick up the ball.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#634 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:49 am

Michael Lucky wrote:

Still only 7 attempts in 21 minutes. Thats still only about 12 attempts per 36 which I think would be ideal for him (Nash was about 12 attempts per 36 for his career).
Michael Lucky
RealGM

Post#635 » by Michael Lucky » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:52 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:

Still only 7 attempts in 21 minutes. Thats still only about 12 attempts per 36 which I think would be ideal for him (Nash was about 12 attempts per 36 for his career).

True, although there was no need for him to create a ton of offense on his own. We shot 17 for 22 from 3 which is utterly insane. Part of me, wants Matt Thomas on our roster, just because of the great 3 point shooting.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#636 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:05 am

Michael Lucky wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:tbf he barely played the second half. Hence the low shot attempts.

True, although there was no need for him to create a ton of offense on his own. We shot 17 for 22 from 3 which is utterly insane. Part of me, wants Matt Thomas on our roster, just because of the great 3 point shooting.

My biggest takeaway from SL for the Lakers is Kuzma's shooting. I saw plenty of him in college and that jumper was very inconsistent to say the least. And every game I saw of him he was a pretty bad defender. Hes giving me a Luke Kennard vibe when I watch him playing D in SL where I find myself saying "Where the hell was this effort and intensity on D in college." So if he keeps up that intensity on D and that jumper does become consistent (has great form), Lakers got themselves one hell of a steal.
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,973

Post#637 » by PerkinsFor3 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:16 am

Utes didnt really want him to do too much on defense tbh, had to keep him on the court as much as possible.
ISayshowmee
Veteran
And1: 1,696

Post#638 » by ISayshowmee » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:16 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

My biggest takeaway from SL for the Lakers is Kuzma's shooting. I saw plenty of him in college and that jumper was very inconsistent to say the least. And every game I saw of him he was a pretty bad defender. Hes giving me a Luke Kennard vibe when I watch him playing D in SL where I find myself saying "Where the hell was this effort and intensity on D in college." So if he keeps up that intensity on D and that jumper does become consistent (has great form), Lakers got themselves one hell of a steal.

Lonzo 'Simply Dazzling Ball has made a huge impact to Kuzma
Lalouie
RealGM

Post#639 » by Lalouie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:23 am

Michael Lucky wrote:Because DJS would have picked it up and the defenders momentum would have caused him to get completely blown by. Not hard to figure out why he didn't go after it. Especially when it would have been next to impossible for the defender to have gotten the ball to begin with. It's better to just keep the defensive position.

I'm not advocating that he go for the ball but merely force Jr to pick up the ball
JellosJigglin
RealGM

Post#640 » by JellosJigglin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:19 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Wasn't Kuzma on the all-defense team for his conference?

Return to The General Board