Luc Mbah A Moute To the Rockets

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

spacemonkey
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,661

Re: Luc Mbah A Moute To the Rockets 

Post#41 » by spacemonkey » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:21 am

Dupp wrote:Only the min? **** cavs doing nothing smh.

It seems hard to believe the Cavs did t go after Moute since he's a quality bench player. I have to imagine he chose the Rockets.
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,423

Post#42 » by ThatBoyNick » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:28 am

12footrim wrote:
That's not even accounting for Shawn Long who had a 24 Player Eff Rating and can play both post positions. I would really love to see him get a chance.

Long was horrible in summer league. He looked really out of shape, got killed on defense, wasn't moving well, nor active enough.

I was pretty disappointed as I was also interested in him before hand.
couchie
Pro Prospect
And1: 495

Post#43 » by couchie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:59 am

Houston is interesting. Can't wait for the season to start to see how they mesh. I do think they will move up past San Antonio this year. They've been awfully quiet.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,850

Post#44 » by Woodsanity » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:12 am

Wow for the vet min?! Thats a crazy steal. He is a very good defender who isn't great offensively but he isn't a big liability on that end.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
Soca
Veteran
And1: 841

Post#45 » by Soca » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:22 am

This would have been a nice addition for the Cavs.
Rednation91
Pro Prospect
And1: 524

Post#46 » by Rednation91 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:24 am

Woodsanity wrote:Wow for the vet min?! Thats a crazy steal. He is a very good defender who isn't great offensively but he isn't a big liability on that end.

Morey has done an amazing job filling out the roster after the cp3 trade. I remember a majority of people saying the rockets gave up way too much depth. Then morey gets pj for 4/32, black for bae and luc for vet min? Just really smart signings
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#47 » by 12footrim » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:30 am

ThatBoyNick wrote:
12footrim wrote:
That's not even accounting for Shawn Long who had a 24 Player Eff Rating and can play both post positions. I would really love to see him get a chance.

Long was horrible in summer league. He looked really out of shape, got killed on defense, wasn't moving well, nor active enough.

I was pretty disappointed as I was also interested in him before hand.

He was great in last years summer league, Dleague and then his NBA stint.

I see he's barely playing (9 minutes a game) in the 5 summer league games this year but damn his per 36's are still

19.3 ppg
12.6 rpg
52% FG

I'll take your word but he still is highly productive even when you say he looks bad, and his defensive RPM was respectable last year. I wouldn't let him go not the way he produces. There just aren't many players not already in starting or even staring roles with his upside IMO.

New team last minute trade, maybe he wasn't expecting to have to play in the summer league. It's not really a defense because in his position he should be living in the gym, but people are people.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,843

Post#48 » by inquisitive » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:53 am

Warchant wrote:
JGOJustin wrote:This will be an underrated get for Houston. What an awesome get for Hou.

Most underrated defender in the league and should have been an all NBA defender this past season. Excellent open 3 point shooter, excellent cutter, and defenders 1 through 4 fluidly.

Excellent shooter? Hes a career 33% 3 pt shooter over 10 yrs

At least he shot a bit better last year at 39% though. I'm curious to what his % is wide open.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach

Post#49 » by ThatBoyNick » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:04 am

12footrim wrote:

I see he's barely playing (9 minutes a game) in the 5 summer league games this year but damn his per 36's are still

19.3 ppg
12.6 rpg
52% FG

I'll take your word but he still is highly productive even when you say he looks bad, and his defensive RPM was respectable last year. I wouldn't let him go not the way he produces. There just aren't many players not already in starting or even staring roles with his upside IMO.

New team last minute trade, maybe he wasn't expecting to have to play in the summer league. It's not really a defense because in his position he should be living in the gym, but people are people.

He looked pretty overweight, so perhaps that's why, he may have just let him self go too much this off season after making some spending money last year.
JGOJustin
Pro Prospect
And1: 726

Post#50 » by JGOJustin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:37 am

Bertrob wrote:Damn if Moute is your 9th guy you're doing really good for yourself

Absolutely. He was fantastic with LAC but was a tad bit overextended in his role for the Clippers. A more condensed role off the bench is perfect for his skill-set. Homerun signing on paper by Houston and these are the on the margin signings that can potentially win you a game or two in the playoffs when you're not supposed to.
@JamalCristopher - Come Back To California https://soundcloud.com/jamalcristopher/california
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by 12footrim » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:38 am

ThatBoyNick wrote:
12footrim wrote:

19.3 ppg
12.6 rpg
52% FG

He looked pretty overweight, so perhaps that's why, he may have just let him self go too much this off season after making some spending money last year.

From what I've seen he's always looked thick.

He's listed at 6-9, 255. He probably could benefit from losing some weight, but it's worked for him pretty well so far.

He has pretty good measurable and versatility to play pot post positions with a 7-1.5 wing span. Id rather put my money on him than Tarik Black. I hated to see that signing personally if it blocks him out.

His defensive RPM was #182 in the NBA and #46 of the PF's. That's fairly reasonable for a guy playing his first 18 NBA games. Most players don't really hit the ground running right out of the gate as rookies especially on D or certainly not anywhere close production.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#52 » by Mr. E » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:10 am

MaxRider wrote:why I have this feeling Morey is going to trade Capela and Ariza for Melo?

Because you are our resident pessimist and it is your job to think of the worst case scenarios. :lol:
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach

Post#53 » by ThatBoyNick » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:25 am

12footrim wrote:From what I've seen he's always looked thick.

He's listed at 6-9, 255. He probably could benefit from losing some weight, but it's worked for him pretty well so far.

He has pretty good measurable and versatility to play pot post positions with a 7-1.5 wing span. Id rather put my money on him than Tarik Black. I hated to see that signing personally if it blocks him out.

His defensive RPM was #182 in the NBA and #46 of the PF's. That's fairly reasonable for a guy playing his first 18 NBA games. Most players don't really hit the ground running right out of the gate as rookies especially on D or certainly not anywhere close production.

I normally don't hold to much value in summer league action, but I've sen enough to know red flags when I see them. Physical inability on defense is a problem, Onuaku has the same problem, can't move or jump quick enough to defend properly. I was very high on him, like you, after seeing his highlights, advanced stats, but I was turned off big time by his summer league performance.
Young_Star11
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,767

Post#54 » by Young_Star11 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:28 am

Rockets need a fourth guard as insurance in case CP3, Harden or EG are hurt (CP3 and EG would notoriously be labelled "injury-prone"). In the playoffs, these three could probably play all the minutes at guard.

Plenty of versatility in Ariza/Tucker/LRMAM on the wings, each bringing different skillsets to the table.

Hoping for a big 4th season from Capela in his second year of starting.
tribulations
Analyst
And1: 1,276

Post#55 » by tribulations » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:43 am

Warchant wrote:
JGOJustin wrote:This will be an underrated get for Houston. What an awesome get for Hou.

Most underrated defender in the league and should have been an all NBA defender this past season. Excellent open 3 point shooter, excellent cutter, and defenders 1 through 4 fluidly.

Excellent shooter? Hes a career 33% 3 pt shooter over 10 yrs

Probably best to look at his more recent stats as until recently, he was always a terrible shooter. When he was with the Clippers he seemed to always be knocking down shots. Not sure what his numbers were last season but I always remember being surprised every time he hoisted one up when I considered him strictly to be a defensive role player. seems to have drifted into 3 & D territory.
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#56 » by NBAfan3024 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:42 am

Can't really moan at the min and lets face it Houston needs more than a few to try their hand at guarding KD
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#57 » by Golabki » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:41 pm

Great singing... I've always loved LMAM.

To me the interesting question is, how will he be used in the playoffs? Is he just a 3rd defensive forward with Ariza/Tucker, or will he be used more like a Draymond Green like center?

I could definately see them closing games with Paul/Gordon/Harden/Ariza/LMAM. LMAM does a bit more rim protection, team D than Tucker.
hardenASG13
Analyst
And1: 1,322

Post#58 » by hardenASG13 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:48 pm

Revived wrote:I can't believe they got him for the minimum.

Him and Andre Roberson are very similar players aka very good defensively but trash offensively and yet Presti paid Roberson $10M/yr over 3 years.

Agree Robersons contract should be much closer to this....lucs offense is alot better too (Roberson is likely the better defender). But if Roberson could hit 41 percent of his wide open 3s like luc,since he's wide open a ton, instead of his current 25 percent, an above average amount of which are airballs or hit the side of the backboard, I'd like his deal alot more. It's a case of okc being too loyal to Roberson, they've handed him minutes since day 1.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by 12footrim » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:48 pm

ThatBoyNick wrote:
12footrim wrote:From what I've seen he's always looked thick.

I normally don't hold to much value in summer league action, but I've sen enough to know red flags when I see them. Physical inability on defense is a problem, Onuaku has the same problem, can't move or jump quick enough to defend properly. I was very high on him, like you, after seeing his highlights, advanced stats, but I was turned off big time by his summer league performance.

I haven't written him off yet. It's ultimately only 40 minutes of action where he was still quite productive. I could also see where the Rockets aren't playing him much because they are more interested in playing the younger guys especially the international Chinese guy and Harkstien guy more just to get an evaluation against a level of players they haven't played against. Especially since Harkstien want be coming over this year and I doubt the other guy will either. There is already a good amount of video to evaluate Long on from last years summer league, Dleague and NBA that you don't need to be playing him much.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#60 » by Golabki » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:55 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:
Revived wrote:I can't believe they got him for the minimum.

Him and Andre Roberson are very similar players aka very good defensively but trash offensively and yet Presti paid Roberson $10M/yr over 3 years.

Agree Robersons contract should be much closer to this....lucs offense is alot better too (Roberson is likely the better defender). But if Roberson could hit 41 percent of his wide open 3s like luc,since he's wide open a ton, instead of his current 25 percent, an above average amount of which are airballs or hit the side of the backboard, I'd like his deal alot more. It's a case of okc being too loyal to Roberson, they've handed him minutes since day 1.

I think you're overrating LMAM's offense a bit, and I think Roberson is significantly better on D.

Also, Roberson is young enough that he still has a fair amount of upside. Age matters here.

Return to The General Board