What are the Spurs doing this offseason?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

alexb618
Rookie
And1: 870

Re: What are the Spurs doing this offseason? 

Post#41 » by alexb618 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:27 am

cousins under pop would be amazing.

but yeah back to the OP, obviously clearing space for 2018.
Travis Outlaw: Oh man. That feels great. To have a bobblehead of me is just terrific.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,677

Post#42 » by homecourtloss » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:30 am

Warriorfan wrote:Spurs will probably be the 3rd seed behind Hou or 6th seed behind Utah OKC and LAC to avoid GS 2nd round. They are setting for 2018 free agency.

That's what I thought. They didn't think they could improve enough to beat the GSW even though they play them so well. Now it looks as if they are waiting for 2018 to find someone to pair with Kawhi.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#43 » by SF_Warriors » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:42 am

The banana boat team coached by Pop would be epic:

KL
bron
wade - MLE?
cp3

melo signs on a "bargain" contract so he can be the 6th man. He will be 34, he is not getting a big contract.
BuzzCity
Rookie
And1: 608

Post#44 » by BuzzCity » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:51 am

SF_Warriors wrote:The banana boat team coached by Pop would be epic:

KL
bron
wade - MLE?
cp3

melo signs on a "bargain" contract so he can be the 6th man. He will be 34, he is not getting a big contract.

Interesting thought...the banana group all has history playing for Pop in the Olympics

PG- CP3
SG- Wade
SF- Leonard
PF- Melo
C- Lebron

That'd be an insane small ball lineup...but i doubt this happens only cuz doesn't CP3 still make a ton more if he were to resign with the Rockets next offseason? Unless him and Harden are a toxic mix
manou
Rookie
And1: 421

Post#45 » by manou » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:58 am

Transition season for sure. We can't beat the dubs anyway.
I suppose TP and Manu (who hopefully signs for another season) will act as secondary coaches for the young players (especially Murray), Kawhi should continue rising to stardom, and it seems the plan is to make a splash in 2018 FA.

What I find odd about that is we never had big success recruiting stars, with the notable exception of LMA (which looks more and more like a mistake).
ShazamDaShiznt
Analyst
And1: 4,766

Post#46 » by ShazamDaShiznt » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:36 am

manou wrote:Transition season for sure. We can't beat the dubs anyway.
I suppose TP and Manu (who hopefully signs for another season) will act as secondary coaches for the young players (especially Murray), Kawhi should continue rising to stardom, and it seems the plan is to make a splash in 2018 FA.

What I find odd about that is we never had big success recruiting stars, with the notable exception of LMA (which looks more and more like a mistake).

Spurs don't recruite big stars on their team because every player is asked to do exactly what the coaching system tells him to do. There is a reason why guys who at some point in their careers had to do a bit of a leading role struggled when they joined San Antonio, like LMA, FInley, Brent Barry, Richard Jefferson, McDyess and other guys. And those are not like mega star names, I can imagine how a true alpha player would feel on that team where can't do those selfish heroics late in the game.
manou
Rookie
And1: 421

Post#47 » by manou » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:54 am

ShazamDaShiznt wrote:Spurs don't recruite big stars on their team because every player is asked to do exactly what the coaching system tells him to do. There is a reason why guys who at some point in their careers had to do a bit of a leading role struggled when they joined San Antonio, like LMA, FInley, Brent Barry, Richard Jefferson, McDyess and other guys. And those are not like mega star names, I can imagine how a true alpha player would feel on that team where can't do those selfish heroics late in the game.

I don't buy that, I know Horry said so, but I don't believe it.
Manu became Manu when Pop finally figured after a full season that he had to let Manu do what he wanted. And when Manu was able to be creative (and man, he was), Pop had to accept the somtimes silly passes and dumb turnovers, because it simply worked.

And on that list, Finley, McDyess were old, and were able to contribute to the team, Jefferson was weak minded (seems LMA is too), and Barry was quite good for our team.
Phreak50
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,962

Post#48 » by Phreak50 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:51 am

ShazamDaShiznt wrote:
manou wrote:Transition season for sure. We can't beat the dubs anyway.

Spurs don't recruite big stars on their team because every player is asked to do exactly what the coaching system tells him to do. There is a reason why guys who at some point in their careers had to do a bit of a leading role struggled when they joined San Antonio, like LMA, FInley, Brent Barry, Richard Jefferson, McDyess and other guys. And those are not like mega star names, I can imagine how a true alpha player would feel on that team where can't do those selfish heroics late in the game.

You would never had posted that had you not read Robert Horry's rant.

Other than Aldridge, all of the Spurs 'big' names came here when they were well beyond their best years and old, if you will.
red96
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,380

Post#49 » by red96 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:53 am

BuzzCity wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:The banana boat team coached by Pop would be epic:

KL
bron
wade - MLE?
cp3

Interesting thought...the banana group all has history playing for Pop in the Olympics

PG- CP3
SG- Wade
SF- Leonard
PF- Melo
C- Lebron

That'd be an insane small ball lineup...but i doubt this happens only cuz doesn't CP3 still make a ton more if he were to resign with the Rockets next offseason? Unless him and Harden are a toxic mix
Lebron on the Spurs just seems weird. They were his #1 rival before the Warriors rivalry.
"Morey decided in 2007 that Steve Francis was to be the "franchise player" of the Rockets only to play what... 5 games? Morey didn't think Marc Gasol was worth a look that year,"
-baki "the Rockets fan"
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,135

Post#50 » by Froob » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:33 am

Dedmon and Simmons were probably overrated if the Spurs didn't want to pony up to keep them. Shocked Vegas has the Spurs at only 54 1/2, wish I knew a bookie.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#51 » by NBAfan3024 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:35 am

As mentioned waiting for next summer seems to make sense
Anti Chalmers
Analyst
And1: 2,858

Post#52 » by Anti Chalmers » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:05 pm

I hope LMA opt out. Kawhi is my favorite non Magic player and I would like to see him win multiple rings.
Knickerbocker91
Sophomore
And1: 131

Post#53 » by Knickerbocker91 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:22 pm

If Rudy returns to 100%, that FA signing will be great for the Spurs. He's always had the talent, Pop will pry results from him. Simmons was a solid energy role player, that's it, Rudy is a legitimate threat on the offensive end and a good wing defender. I would've liked to see them bring back Dedmon, but meh lol nobody is losing sleep over him being gone.

Return to The General Board