Anyone see Jason Kidd or Chris Paul in Lonzo Ball?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

blvck
Sophomore
And1: 87

Re: Anyone see Jason Kidd or Chris Paul in Lonzo Ball? 

Post#61 » by blvck » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:08 am

BALL WILL SHINE HIS PASSING GIFT IS NOT OVERSTATED IT MAY BE UNDERSTATED
Forget the stats he makes lovely pass after lovely pass after lovely pass if he ever starts using his height to post up it will be danger n foul trouble for the opposing pg his defense is shakey but he can be hid.
MCW BODY LEBRON/KIDD TYPE PASSING WILLINGNESS TO ATTEMPT TO REBOUND IF HE COULD ATLEAST DEVELOP THE LIVINGSTON LEVEL OF POST GAME OFF THE DRIBBLE HE WILL SHOCK THE WORLD EVEN MORE
RiseOfTheEmpire
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,706

Post#62 » by RiseOfTheEmpire » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:40 am

He has that magic touch in his passing....that little two handed flip he does to push the ball up on a break and how the ball just gently lands in the players hands...also, he throws the pass where the player is going to be, almost like he makes his team mate go get the ball by throwing it ahead of time at the right spot....spot on Kidd like.

I fell in love with this kid when some media shark tried to bait him into talking **** about his dad and quoted his dad saying his usual crazy dad-take, and he just responded "Naa...I don't care, that's just my dad." Great kid, special player.

Upperclass wrote:I see young Steve Smith.. when people kept thinking he could point guard in the NBA. Ball plays an unsustainable style of basketball at point guard. He can't penetrate, play pick and roll or run a half court offense. His only benefit is in an open, fastbreak offense. And the Lakers donot have the horses to play that style in the NBA.

It'll be interesting to watch the reactions when Alex Caruso ends up starting more games at point guard than Ball this year.

Jesus Christ........ :lol:
"I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed."
SCHeat
Pro Prospect
And1: 676

Post#63 » by SCHeat » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:02 am

Lol, those two could actually play defense
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#64 » by The_Hater » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:22 am

Soupman wrote:Anyone see Jason Kidd or Chris Paul in Lonzo Ball? He looks like the making of Jason Kidd part 2 to me right now.

I mean all the Lakers need to do load up on 3pt shooters and play-makers right now.

His ability to make the quick hitting pass in a variety of manners and his penchant to look up the court on every single possession is very J Kidd like. At the same age, he's well ahead of Kidd as a shooter but he's also well behind Kidd as a defender.

I don't see all thst many similarities with CP3.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Side beard
Analyst
And1: 2,297

Post#65 » by Side beard » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:57 am

Misteclipse wrote:Kidd was a 9 time all nba defender. Ball is very bad defensively. So no.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

**** me, 9 time all nba defender in his rookie year? GOAT, man, GOAT.
Peja Stojakovic
Starter
And1: 2,939

Post#66 » by Peja Stojakovic » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:06 pm

i don't see a star in him. too weak in too many spots. his vision, outside shooting, and ball movement will make him stick in the league though
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#67 » by macNcheese3 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:14 pm

Jason Kidd, not CP3, Lonzo is an excellent passer. His passing is contagious. He has great court vision.
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,610

Post#68 » by Billy Goat » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:25 pm

Slava wrote:Kevin Pelton went on a bit of a rant on Ball:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I mean he's right. Lonzo had one of the best freshman seasons ever. Not sure how anyone can hate on this kid right now. The Kidd comparisons are obvious if you saw Kidd at Cal.
millslapper
Senior
And1: 332

Post#69 » by millslapper » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:27 pm

Ball looks so aloof and apathetic. #tumbleweeds
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#70 » by Illmatic12 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:28 pm

Kidd & CP3 = elite defenders

Also the game has changed a lot from when Kidd played.. scoring much more important now. If Lonzo isn't able to consistently make defenses pay for overplaying him as a passer (ie being able to consistently score the ball) it will limit his ceiling. But if he can knock down his jumper on a regular basis he's going to be one hell of a player.

It's still too early to tell how his scoring skillset will fare, need to see him against legit NBA competition.
markjay
Starter
And1: 1,608

Post#71 » by markjay » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:38 pm

Upperclass wrote:I see young Steve Smith.. when people kept thinking he could point guard in the NBA. Ball plays an unsustainable style of basketball at point guard. He can't penetrate, play pick and roll or run a half court offense. His only benefit is in an open, fastbreak offense. And the Lakers donot have the horses to play that style in the NBA.

It'll be interesting to watch the reactions when Alex Caruso ends up starting more games at point guard than Ball this year.

Sig worthy
PrecociousNeoph
Head Coach
And1: 377

Post#72 » by PrecociousNeoph » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:00 pm

He's not nearly as strong as Kidd and Paul
“Bye, Felicia.”
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,129

Post#73 » by MartinToVaught » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:18 pm

The Kidd comparisons tell me that a lot of fans didn't watch Kidd in his prime. They just see that Lonzo is pass-first and gets lots of rebounds and decide that he must be the new Kidd.

First and foremost, Kidd played defense. Lonzo doesn't. Kidd loved to post up smaller and weaker guards in both college and the pros. Lonzo posted up on less than 1% of his possessions at UCLA. Kidd was strong and played physical, Lonzo is more finesse. Seriously, guys, go back and watch some footage of Kidd. He wasn't like Lonzo.
ItsThatEasy
Analyst
And1: 5,031

Post#74 » by ItsThatEasy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:19 pm

If we're talking ceiling here then Kidd and Penny Hardaway should be the comps.

Last night he showed his ability to post up smaller guards for the first time ever (college included) and he looked similar to Penny in that regard.

When it comes to J Kidd, I'm a HUGE Kidd fan but you've got to be delusional to not see similarities between the two. I know people hate Lonzo and comparing him to a HoF-er makes their blood boil, but ceiling wise the comp is there. Defensively he's not close to Kidd but offensively he's shown he has generational passing ability.

Also, most people that are high on Lonzo are guys that actually watched him in high school and college.

If you've been following him then you'd be extremely excited by how much he continues to grow and improve at such a fast rate. He showed absolutely NO mid-range or post game at either level and he's already pulled out a mid-range floater and some mismatch post game in summer league. That kind of self-awareness to understand what you need to work on in addition to ACTUALLY working on it is what separates great players from elite players.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#75 » by Illmatic12 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:31 pm

ItsThatEasy wrote:If we're talking ceiling here then Kidd and Penny Hardaway should be the comps.

Last night he showed his ability to post up smaller guards for the first time ever (college included) and he looked similar to Penny in that regard.

When it comes to J Kidd, I'm a HUGE Kidd fan but you've got to be delusional to not see similarities between the two. I know people hate Lonzo and comparing him to a HoF-er makes their blood boil, but ceiling wise the comp is there. Defensively he's not close to Kidd but offensively he's shown he has generational passing ability.

Also, most people that are high on Lonzo are guys that actually watched him in high school and college.

If you've been following him then you'd be extremely excited by how much he continues to grow and improve at such a fast rate. He showed absolutely NO mid-range or post game at either level and he's already pulled out a mid-range floater and some mismatch post game in summer league. That kind of self-awareness to understand what you need to work on in addition to ACTUALLY working on it is what separates great players from elite players.

Kidd I can see but Penny Hardaway? Nah.. the guy was an offensive clinic, also a lot bigger + more athletic. Lonzo is not that type of player at all, I'd be fairly surprised if he averages over 20ppg

MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#76 » by MartinToVaught » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:31 pm

Ironically, I've seen Lonzo compared to Milos Teodosic, too. But I don't see much of a comparison there either beyond both players' highlight-reel passing skills and weak defense. Teo is an elite shooter, including from midrange, and one of the best pick-and-roll players in the world. Like Kidd, Teo also started posting up smaller and weaker guards in recent years, though I don't expect to see much of that from him against the NBA's superior athletes. Lonzo's shooting mechanics are hideous, and he's not much of a threat from midrange or the post. He's also not comfortable running the pick-and-roll, and only did it on 10% of his possessions at UCLA.
MartinToVaught
RealGM

Post#77 » by MartinToVaught » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:35 pm

ItsThatEasy wrote:Last night he showed his ability to post up smaller guards for the first time ever (college included) and he looked similar to Penny in that regard.

When Lonzo consistently does it against real NBA competition, not just Summer League players, and has success with it, then you can say he's added that to his game. Until then, the post game remains a major difference between Kidd and Lonzo.
ItsThatEasy
Analyst

Post#78 » by ItsThatEasy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:37 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
ItsThatEasy wrote:If we're talking ceiling here then Kidd and Penny Hardaway should be the comps.

Kidd I can see but Penny Hardaway? Nah.. the guy was an offensive clinic, also a lot bigger + more athletic. Lonzo is not that type of player at all, I'd be fairly surprised if he averages over 20ppg

Penny is a favorite of mine but he's overrated offensively IMO.

His best skills were posting up and finishing at the rim. As a CEILING that could be Lonzo one day. I probably wouldn't have even thrown this comp out two days ago but he took advantage of smaller PG's guarding him the last few games. As mentioned earlier, that's not something he ever did before. So if he can do it effectively this soon in summer league I feel confident and probably a bit hopeful that he can develop that skill more as he grows. Physically he's not as explosive as a young Penny but end to end they're not far off at all. Again, the Penny comp is a projection from me, not something I'm completely sold on. So I could easily taper that down to Shaun Livingston and be comfortable.
ItsThatEasy
Analyst

Post#79 » by ItsThatEasy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:40 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
ItsThatEasy wrote:Last night he showed his ability to post up smaller guards for the first time ever (college included) and he looked similar to Penny in that regard.

When Lonzo consistently does it against real NBA competition, not just Summer League players, and has success with it, then you can say he's added that to his game. Until then, the post game remains a major difference between Kidd and Lonzo.

Completely understandable.

See my post above, would like to hear your input.
-Spyda-
Pro Prospect
And1: 363

Post#80 » by -Spyda- » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:41 pm

Ball is realy spaciel kid.
Stop compare him to Kidd,Nash,CP3 n others.
Ball is Ball. This kid gonna be huge for the Lakers AND for the NBA.
You cant take this from him. His passing his view of the game is entertaining and spaciel.
You all can hate. All eyes on Ball. And he is the future.

Return to The General Board