You think Dennis Smith Jr can be as good or better than Dame Lillard?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Soupman
Assistant Coach
And1: 759

Re: You think Dennis Smith Jr can be as good or better than Dame Lillard? 

Post#41 » by Soupman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:20 am

Hopefully he continues to improve and gets rookie of the year.
Convert municipal and agricultural waste to refined natural gas. Sell the refined natural gas to gas companies. Use the money to provide a monthly basic income to people that earn less than $28,000 a year.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,161

Post#42 » by Dame Lizard » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:09 am

In all honesty a lot of rookies "could be as good as Player X", particularly athletic ones.

DSJ is definitely special though. I honestly would have preferred him over Lonzo on draft night. Lonzo has been better at SL than I expected though.
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,759

Post#43 » by Case2012 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:11 am

Lot of teams are going to regret passing on him. If we didn't have Dame and CJ, I would've been all over him in the draft. He reminds me of Dame and prime Rose.
Instagram: @casetwelve
ReKon
Senior
And1: 429

Post#44 » by ReKon » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:55 am

He reminds me a bit of a young D-Rose (ok maybe exaggerating young D-Rose was probably the shiftiest pg i have ever seen) only with better shot mechanics. I have beeen really impressed by his toolkit but i still understand that it's summer league and he is playing against competition that is way below NBA standards at times.

I am a bit worried that he already has a torn acl surgery and that every time he goes for a dunk you kinf of hold your breath (like the missed dunk against the Kings) but overall extremely impressed with him. Don't see the Lillard comparison but he can be a great NBA pg for sure
Kool_Name_Right
Senior
And1: 513

Post#45 » by Kool_Name_Right » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:31 am

DSJ is looking like Bledsoe 2.0
draftnightsuit
Analyst
And1: 6,576

Post#46 » by draftnightsuit » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:17 pm

Soupman wrote:My bad JVG didn't say that...

Someone on the Mavs coaching staff said that. Makes no sense because Smith is nothing Penny Hardaway at all.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,396
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#47 » by E-Balla » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:39 pm

He's nothing like Dame IMO and I don't think anyone who's seen him play can think they're similar. Dame can't finish nearly as well as Smith, and he can't pass nearly as well as Smith. On the other hand Smith's jumper is a weakness and Dame's jumper is his biggest strength.

The Baron Davis comps are better but I still think he reminds me of KJ. Great driving, amazing dunker, great passer.
urgal
Rookie
And1: 1,876

Post#48 » by urgal » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:53 pm

Still wondering where that "he can't shoot"-theme comes from?

36 % in college, 34.5 % in summer league (small sample size though) on 4 attempts per game.
He's not a knock down shooter like Lillard but it's enough to keep the defense honest.

I think people underestimate how great the fit's gonna be in the Mavs pnr heavy offense.

Ceiling: prime Rose with respectable jumper. You heard here first. 48 inch vertical. Can't teach that.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,619

Post#49 » by Johnny Firpo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:58 pm

I'm a Mavs fan, but I'm shocked how hyped he is among fans. I personally don't see it yet, but I hope I will be proven wrong. Carlisle flat-out saying this early that he will start was already a huge surprise for me, so maybe he really is special.
flintsky21
Sixth Man
And1: 2,780

Post#50 » by flintsky21 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm

kulaz3000 wrote:I get the excitement for Dennis Smith Jr, but man, I'm kind of over getting too hyped over summer league performances. As a Bulls fan, I've seen Portis, Doug, and Jerian Grant tear things up in the summer league to only result in sub-par to poor regular season performances.

This. We always love to hype the new toys. We often compare them to established stars and even say they'll be even better, with ridiculous statements like "Rookie X is gonna be Superstar X with a better (insert skill here)."
twozeroMM
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,698

Post#51 » by twozeroMM » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:07 pm

draftnightsuit wrote:Smith is Steve Francis.

Nothing more nothing less.

Or Baron Davis.
KP6
Rookie
And1: 619

Post#52 » by KP6 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:52 pm

bon wrote:I really love his potential as a two way player so definitely, yeah. He could be.

his big knack is he sub par defender, but D is about effert and heart [because he got the quickness to be real good on both ends of the floor]
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,994

Post#53 » by Nazrmohamed » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:17 pm

I spent all year specifically comparing him to Lilliard so yes, I think he can be just as good. I wished the Knicks picked him but I also supported Phil in choosing Ntilikina if he liked the fit better and now Phils been fired so... .

But Smith is liking great out there
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#54 » by Illmatic12 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:20 pm

flintsky21 wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:I get the excitement for Dennis Smith Jr, but man, I'm kind of over getting too hyped over summer league performances. As a Bulls fan, I've seen Portis, Doug, and Jerian Grant tear things up in the summer league to only result in sub-par to poor regular season performances.

This. We always love to hype the new toys. We often compare them to established stars and even say they'll be even better, with ridiculous statements like "Rookie X is gonna be Superstar X with a better (insert skill here)."

"Mudiay is the next John Wall" was a popular one around here not too long ago .. people never learn, year after year
DroseReturnChi
RealGM
And1: 3,142

Post#55 » by DroseReturnChi » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:23 pm

urgal wrote:Still wondering where that "he can't shoot"-theme comes from?

36 % in college, 34.5 % in summer league (small sample size though) on 4 attempts per game.
He's not a knock down shooter like Lillard but it's enough to keep the defense honest.

I think people underestimate how great the fit's gonna be in the Mavs pnr heavy offense.

Ceiling: prime Rose with respectable jumper. You heard here first. 48 inch vertical. Can't teach that.

lol prime rose? are you suggesting a meager 9th pick will be the youngest MVP? And Rose didnt even hit his prime when he got MVP.
So that's a Lebron level prospect which is highly unlikely.
Theres a reason why 8 teams passed on DSJ and I was very high on him. He is a double edged sword in that he has bad work ethic and his defense will cost games although the dunks do remind me of Rose. And his terrible landing mechanics will guarantee him an injury so he needs to change his playing style first before anyone label him as a superstar.
Doncic will be goat. Lauri will be his sidekick.
TankCommander17
Bench Warmer
And1: 665

Post#56 » by TankCommander17 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:42 pm

draftnightsuit wrote:Smith is Steve Francis.

Nothing more nothing less.

I was thinking the exact same thing and you can't win with guys like that.
urgal
Rookie
And1: 1,876

Post#57 » by urgal » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:19 pm

DroseReturnChi wrote:lol prime rose? are you suggesting a meager 9th pick will be the youngest MVP? And Rose didnt even hit his prime when he got MVP.
...He is a double edged sword in that he has bad work ethic and his defense will cost games although the dunks do remind me of Rose. And his terrible landing mechanics will guarantee him an injury so he needs to change his playing style first before anyone label him as a superstar.

Well first off how can you say he can't be prime Rose if we - according to you - never even witnessed prime Rose due to injuries?
That doesn't make sense.

And btw the defense of your (hopefully) star PG is the most overrated thing ever. How good of an defender was MVP rose, or westbrook, or harden, or lillard ect.? (or Fultz, Ball ect.).

I'm just saying their (Rose and DSJs) body metrics are comparable, Rose has nothing on him athletically, and he has the potential to have a much better jumpshot than Rose who is a career 29.8% 3pt shooter.

Obviously I'm assuming his knees hold up, but guess what that goes for every player elso,too.

And I assume you're basing that "terrible landing mechanics"-stuff from that one highlight clip of his dunk attempt a couple of days ago or have you actually monitored his landing mechanics throughout his career?
Forbes
Analyst
And1: 2,330

Post#58 » by Forbes » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:39 pm

I don't see anyone specific to compare him to. Seen some stepbacks that looked like Lillard
Finishes his layups looking exactly like Rose
Goes for posterizing powerful dunks like Westbrook

Seems to get in the paint at will and he doesn't even look that fast
He's also a very crafty dribbler. Definitely gonna be hard to read what direction he's going in.

Will the PNR and him getting to the lane, that's how he will rack up a ton of assists with the Mavs. Lots of drive and kicks and alleys possibly.

So far he looks to be in that mold of Marbury, Francis, Lillard, Rose, Westbrook. All those guys are the same type of PG.

Some people may say these are not winning type PGs, but hey Chris Paul isn't a winning type PG either.
Lost Angel
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,454

Post#59 » by Lost Angel » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:28 pm

I don't understand how teams like Orlando, Chicago, and NY could pass on him.

He was easily a top 5 pick in any other draft. like seriously wtf is wrong with nba teams
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,158

Post#60 » by PhilBlackson » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:29 pm

DS Jr reminds me of Lowry/Baron Davis hyrbid.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley

Return to The General Board