ESPN's streaming is motherflipping TRASH

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,864

ESPN's streaming is motherflipping TRASH 

Post#1 » by Goudelock » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:28 am

ESPN calls themselves the "Worldwide Leader in Sports". So how can the worldwide leader have such a freaking terrible streaming app? I don't have cable, so I have to rely on the ESPN streaming thing to watch the games. And it seems like every game that I try to watch is rife with pauses and long buffering times. Sometimes the stream just decides to skip that stages and just crashes like my old playstation. It would be one thing if this only occurred during bigtime broadcasts like Monday night football or game 1 of the NBA finals, when everyone is watching just that game. But there's no excuse for a random summer league game between memphis and portland to be a laggy mess, or for a Mississippi State VS FCS team week one blowout to lag like there's no tomorrow. Tonight's Lakers VS Mavs game was unwatchable at times, since it would have to reload after every 30 seconds or so.

Maybe ESPN should fire Steven A Smith and use the money they would save to fix their crappy streaming app.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
JWASH112
Ballboy
And1: 22

Re: ESPN's streaming is motherflipping TRASH 

Post#2 » by JWASH112 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:42 am

The app told me the game started at 6pm. I was sure it started at 5. Waited till 6 to tune in and the game was at halftime
Ice Trae
RealGM
And1: 10,884

Post#3 » by Ice Trae » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:57 am

lol, I thought I was the only one having trouble with it. There were summer league games where I had to use the online ESPN streaming site. That **** was buffering damn near every 3 minutes and the HD quality kept jumping up and down.
wizkid27
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 166

Post#4 » by wizkid27 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:07 am

Honestly, of all of the sports streaming options - ESPN seems to work most consistently...
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,373

Post#5 » by Hangtime84 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:23 am

Depends on your network card.

My firestick sucks but ps 4 pro and computer it's amazing
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
pwrshft99
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,078

Post#6 » by pwrshft99 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:50 am

Its probably a network issue. I stream First Take everyday using the ESPN app and Chromecast and its been pretty reliable.
#sadbullsfan
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,273

Post#7 » by RSCD3_ » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:00 am

Real good Streams aren't always
Easy to find that's why I like to
Do my searching for them on
Different Sites some of which
In My opinion have pretty good
Timing and frame Rate

Now what I would go
Before Games Start
Always seem to work out
So I would suggest looking
There are a few sites that
Rarely fail me
Espn doesn't have the best quality on
Average and a doesn't have a variety of
Many different
Sources
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
Collymore
Starter
And1: 2,775

Post#8 » by Collymore » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:49 am

RSCD3_ wrote:Real good Streams aren't always
Timing and frame Rate

Now what I would go
Before Games Start
Always seem to work out
Rarely fail me
Many different
Sources

Deep.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,372

Post#9 » by Dominator83 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:55 am

PockyCandy wrote:ESPN calls themselves the "Worldwide Leader in Sports". So how can the worldwide leader have such a freaking terrible streaming app? I don't have cable, so I have to rely on the ESPN streaming thing to watch the games. And it seems like every game that I try to watch is rife with pauses and long buffering times. Sometimes the stream just decides to skip that stages and just crashes like my old playstation. It would be one thing if this only occurred during bigtime broadcasts like Monday night football or game 1 of the NBA finals, when everyone is watching just that game. But there's no excuse for a random summer league game between memphis and portland to be a laggy mess, or for a Mississippi State VS FCS team week one blowout to lag like there's no tomorrow. Tonight's Lakers VS Mavs game was unwatchable at times, since it would have to reload after every 30 seconds or so.

Maybe ESPN should fire Steven A Smith and use the money they would save to fix their crappy streaming app.

Spend some money bro
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Triples333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,671

Post#10 » by Triples333 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:20 pm

Just out of curiosity, don't you have to have cable to stream directly from ESPN? I recall it asking for my cable provider/login info when using it initially.

I haven't had a problem with it at all for what it's worth. Just threw it on now for good measure and it's working clean as usual.
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,476

Post#11 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:32 pm

You would think a company owned by Disney would be a master in delivering digital content.
zero2hero
Senior
And1: 487

Post#12 » by zero2hero » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:37 pm

They should use the middle out algorithm.
PrecociousNeoph
Head Coach
And1: 377

Post#13 » by PrecociousNeoph » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:54 pm

Everything about ESPN sucks.
“Bye, Felicia.”
NaturalThunder
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#14 » by NaturalThunder » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:58 pm

PockyCandy wrote:ESPN calls themselves the "Worldwide Leader in Sports". So how can the worldwide leader have such a freaking terrible streaming app? I don't have cable, so I have to rely on the ESPN streaming thing to watch the games. And it seems like every game that I try to watch is rife with pauses and long buffering times. Sometimes the stream just decides to skip that stages and just crashes like my old playstation. It would be one thing if this only occurred during bigtime broadcasts like Monday night football or game 1 of the NBA finals, when everyone is watching just that game. But there's no excuse for a random summer league game between memphis and portland to be a laggy mess, or for a Mississippi State VS FCS team week one blowout to lag like there's no tomorrow. Tonight's Lakers VS Mavs game was unwatchable at times, since it would have to reload after every 30 seconds or so.

Yeah, I hate it. I "cut the cord" a year ago and went the Playstation Vue route. I get all of the ESPN channels, however I don't live in a market that gets local channels so when something is on ABC (like the Finals) I had to watch it on the WatchESPN app and it sucked. I had the same issues. It'd rnadomly pause and get stuck for a long time, and sometimes once it was done it'd fastforward-skip ahead to catch up. I just assumed that most of it was because everyone was watching the Finals.

I just found the best solution was to close the app and relaunch as soon as it froze. Sometimes the freezes would only last 5-10 seconds but other times they'd last several minutes. If I just immediately closed the app and relaunched it, the game would fire right back up and play fine for another 5-10 minutes before freezing again.
Said in a thread about which point guards would make OKC better if they replaced Westbrook:
Coxy wrote:I think with a PG like George Hill, they'd be better than current.
Vee-Rex
Starter
And1: 2,666

Post#15 » by Vee-Rex » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:16 pm

I noticed it too. ESPN's streaming is so choppy and I always fall behind on real-time because it pauses all the time. It's pretty much unwatchable.
Vee-Rex
Starter
And1: 2,666

Post#16 » by Vee-Rex » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:18 pm

NaturalThunder wrote:

Yeah, I hate it. I "cut the cord" a year ago and went the Playstation Vue route. I get all of the ESPN channels, however I don't live in a market that gets local channels so when something is on ABC (like the Finals) I had to watch it on the WatchESPN app and it sucked. I had the same issues. It'd rnadomly pause and get stuck for a long time, and sometimes once it was done it'd fastforward-skip ahead to catch up. I just assumed that most of it was because everyone was watching the Finals.

I just found the best solution was to close the app and relaunch as soon as it froze. Sometimes the freezes would only last 5-10 seconds but other times they'd last several minutes. If I just immediately closed the app and relaunched it, the game would fire right back up and play fine for another 5-10 minutes before freezing again.

Haha, this was my solution as well. It was pretty sad having to do that and recently I just got fed up and stopped watching altogether.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,431

Post#17 » by codydaze » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:51 pm

TNT's steaming app is pretty bad too. I think the quality is a little better, it doesn't flip in and out of HD and 240p blackberry level quality video as much as ESPN does but TNT's streams are always at least 10-15 minutes behind on tape delay. TNT's streaming does crash a lot too though.
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,238

Post#18 » by John Murdoch » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:53 pm

Collymore wrote:
RSCD3_ wrote:Real good Streams aren't always
Timing and frame Rate

Now what I would go
Before Games Start
Always seem to work out
Rarely fail me
Many different
Sources

Deep.

lol :D righttt the haiku on how to find illegal streams
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.

Return to The General Board