ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Yankees Thread

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,221

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#3901 » by duetta » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:08 pm

Judge hasn't had a slump all season. This is his first one. Looks to me like his bat is a little tired. He needs a day or two off, or at least at DH.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,202

Post#3902 » by Papi_swav » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:25 pm

Great win today after last night, CC shut them down !!! he needs to pitch against the Red Sox in every series we face them because he's been killing them lately. Just wish we got that first win Friday night, we would of been 1.5 games back but now were 2.5 back. Off to Minnesota now, Sox face Stroman tomorrow. We are 11-4 when CC starts :D
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#3903 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:33 pm

duetta wrote:Judge hasn't had a slump all season. This is his first one. Looks to me like his bat is a little tired. He needs a day or two off, or at least at DH.

Also wouldn't surprise that pitchers are baring down harder when they pitch to Judge after that HR derby display.
Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#3904 » by Polk377 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:48 pm

Papi_swav wrote:Great win today after last night, CC shut them down !!! he needs to pitch against the Red Sox in every series we face them because he's been killing them lately. Just wish we got that first win Friday night, we would of been 1.5 games back but now were 2.5 back. Off to Minnesota now, Sox face Stroman tomorrow. We are 11-4 when CC starts :D

Lol they still have another game against Boston tonight....double header
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#3905 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:54 pm

This is why I love the second half of MLB season. NOW, teams are going to apply themselves. Judge ain't in no slump. Opposing pitchers are giving him nothing to hit. He either takes a walk or he's gotta try and hit something out of the strike zone. Go back to game 1 of the series, the Sawx were pitching to Sanchez and got burned. Now, they're going after anyone around those 2 guys.

CC and the pen pitched an absolute gem. THIRD shut out of the Sawx this season. Since the meltdown in Game 1 of the series, the Yankees' pen has responded and the deficit has been cut to 2.5 games.

Tonight, Tanaka vs Price. Last appearance in Fenway, Tanaka outdueled Sale in a complete game victory. He's been 3-1 in his last 4 starts but don't tell a twerp named Andrew Marchand who pointed at Tanaka as the sole reason why the Yankees season is going up in flames. Chill Andrew, take the butt plug out.
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,221

Post#3906 » by duetta » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:32 pm

Funny, but the broadcasters are saying that Judge is fouling off pitches he hit hard earlier in the season - and he knows it. But what they do they know...
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#3907 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:46 pm

Yes but when a pitcher mixes his pitches, one split second hesitation is all it takes to make a difference between a foul and a home run. The pitch may be the same but the approach.

And going into tonight, Tanaka has taken the approach that he'll use his junk ball pitches early innings before going to splitter and inside four seam fast ball. That worked the last few seasons, he's GOTTA learn to simplify and just put guys away and stop wasting pitches every now and then.
Jstarks3
General Manager
And1: 740

Post#3908 » by Jstarks3 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:45 am

ugh david price.
by IllmaticHandler

I just got off the Phone with NAS. He said if you listen closely to the intro he not saying **** Jayz. He knew one day a cat name Joey would play himself on realgm. Ether was meant to be used in the future. :o
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#3909 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:01 am

Damn. Can't buy a run.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,333

Post#3910 » by Phish Tank » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:12 am

welp we got shutout. At least we didn't "lose the series."

But Rob Manfred needs to fire the schedule maker and make some material changes to the schedule for next season. Makes no sense for the Yanks to be traveling after a Sunday night game and then to play tomorrow.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#3911 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:21 pm

Was one of those games, a make up game?

Anyways I thought Tanaka pitched well enough to win but just made one mistake, a four seamer that twirled right over the plate and Betts made him pay. Boston's line up is no joke. You're not coming out of this one unscathed. Refsnyder should have had that one. It goes to show you, baseball is an unforgiving sport.

I just hate David Price. Yanks just couldn't punch his card, they had a lot of chances, and I was livid that they couldn't cash in.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,785

Post#3912 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:38 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Was one of those games, a make up game?

Anyways I thought Tanaka pitched well enough to win but just made one mistake, a four seamer that twirled right over the plate and Betts made him pay. Boston's line up is no joke. You're not coming out of this one unscathed. Refsnyder should have had that one. It goes to show you, baseball is an unforgiving sport.

I just hate David Price. Yanks just couldn't punch his card, they had a lot of chances, and I was livid that they couldn't cash in.

You give up three runs, you've done your job.

This yankee lineup at times can't manufacture runs. Now, try to understand where I'm coming from. They can hit and have produced and I know a lot has to do with injuries. But the boom and bust nature of the line up is a little troubling. They score 8,10,12 often enough and seem to score 0,1,2 a lot also.

Gardner's been good, but if feels like his place on a better team is 8 or 9, while the Yanks lack truly good #1 and #2 hitters to set the plate. I mean Gregorius seems like he'd be a good #2 hitter but line up woes have him down low.

The line up seems have several guys who could hit 3,4,5 and a more that could hit 5,6,7 but kind of lacks consistent good 1,2's.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#3913 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:48 pm

I agree. I think Gardner has been a warrior going out there lead off game after game but he could use a break. I think Hicks is back at the end of this month. I know Ellsbury is Cashman's boy but he should have a game or two lead off.

I completely hate Girardi putting Sanchez #2. He was perfect #5 hitter. Judge, Holliday, Sanchez 3-5 was dynamite!
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#3914 » by Mecca » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:07 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:I agree. I think Gardner has been a warrior going out there lead off game after game but he could use a break. I think Hicks is back at the end of this month. I know Ellsbury is Cashman's boy but he should have a game or two lead off.

I completely hate Girardi putting Sanchez #2. He was perfect #5 hitter. Judge, Holliday, Sanchez 3-5 was dynamite!

Everyone is stuck in the old school thinking with #2 hitters. That's all in your head. You put your best hitter #2 to get him most AB's and RBI opportunities. Look around baseball.

ESPECIALLY because Sanchez has a great eye and runs pitch counts.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,333

Post#3915 » by Phish Tank » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:10 pm

the lineup spots don't seem to concern me honestly.

I think Judge may need some actual days off or DH days. I know we need him to win games, but he needs a break.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#3916 » by Dr. Detfink » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:26 pm

Mecca wrote:Everyone is stuck in the old school thinking with #2 hitters. That's all in your head. You put your best hitter #2 to get him most AB's and RBI opportunities. Look around baseball.

Sanchez was DREADFUL hitting #2 when he came off the DL. When Girardi had the line up Gardner, Hicks, Judge, Holliday, Sanchez...THAT's when the Yanks were 5.5 AHEAD of Boston.

It's not unfounded.
Mecca
RealGM

Post#3917 » by Mecca » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:26 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:
Mecca wrote:Everyone is stuck in the old school thinking with #2 hitters. That's all in your head. You put your best hitter #2 to get him most AB's and RBI opportunities. Look around baseball.

Sanchez was DREADFUL hitting #2 when he came off the DL. When Girardi had the line up Gardner, Hicks, Judge, Holliday, Sanchez...THAT's when the Yanks were 5.5 AHEAD of Boston.

It's not unfounded.

Lineup spot wasn't factor, he was just getting back into groove.
Brooklyn Nets
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,785

Post#3918 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:11 pm

Mecca wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:

It's not unfounded.

To me it's not about lineup, just guys who set the table. I mean, I get the concept of the batting order means less and guys at the top to get more AB's, but there is something about approach with guys who hit in front of the producers, where a guy is focused on getting on base, the next good at moving the runner and is comfortable with it.

I don't know. Maybe it's just talent, but the line up seems sort of boom or bust.
Mecca
RealGM

Post#3919 » by Mecca » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:22 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Mecca wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:

It's not unfounded.

To me it's not about lineup, just guys who set the table. I mean, I get the concept of the batting order means less and guys at the top to get more AB's, but there is something about approach with guys who hit in front of the producers, where a guy is focused on getting on base, the next good at moving the runner and is comfortable with it.

I don't know. Maybe it's just talent, but the line up seems sort of boom or bust.

Hicks is the perfect 2 hitter because he takes pitches, gets on base, and has good speed. With Hicks out, you don't have another 2 hitter on the roster. Castro swings at everything.. Didi doesn't walk.. Sanchez at least takes pitches and gets on base.
Brooklyn Nets
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#3920 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:37 pm

More bad injury news: Bird to undergo surgery

Greg Bird will have ankle surgery Tuesday. He will require a six-week rehab, and the Yankees are hoping he can resume baseball activity in September.

Brian Cashman suggested last week that surgery could be a possibility if Bird’s ankle continued to show a lack of progress following a Novocain injection and a second cortisone shot, and it seems this is indeed the case.

The first baseman, who the Yankees still regard as an important part of their future, hit just .100 before landing on the disabled list in early May.

This is the second piece of bad injury news the Yankees learned Monday, also getting confirmation that Michael Pineda will require season-ending Tommy John surgery, which he will undergo Tuesday as well.

Return to New York Knicks