Do the Celtics have a good chance of making the 2018 Finals?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,400

Re: Do the Celtics have a good chance of making the 2018 Finals? 

Post#121 » by Roscoe Sheed » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:27 pm

The Celtics should not have traded Bradley. They would still be underdogs with him, but without him they are definitely going to struggle defensively
Wasp
Sixth Man
And1: 1,199

Post#122 » by Wasp » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:30 pm

Boston34Bg wrote:
vexen wrote:
Ambrose wrote:
The Raptors window closed. I have no idea why anyone brings them up in these threads. Boston has the assets, Milwaukee has the potential, Toronto has nothing. They are the 4th best team in the East at best behind Cle, Bos, Was.

You do realize Lowry missed like 20 games? How good would the cetics do if they lost IT for 20 games? I mean still only 2 games back from the cetics, don't buy into the US media they don't know what they are talking about. Go back and watch the Celtics Raptors match up.. you guys have no idea how to stop Demar and now bradley is gone..

You do realize Avery missed 30 games and he was our 2nd best scorer before his injury. You do realize IT missed 5 games and Horford missed 15. Jae also missed around 10. We were the 2nd or 3rd most injured team in the league, Jazz were #1 if I'm not mistaking. Get a grip.

Ugh, not this again.

So yes, you are very "mistaking".
Wasp
Sixth Man

Post#123 » by Wasp » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:34 pm

bmurph128 wrote:
Seabass11 wrote:IMO Cavs are still 90% favorites unless injury bug hits them. My list of "teams I want to avoid in the playoffs" is

1) Bucks (thats right, I said it)
2) Wizards
3) Raptors
4) Celts

The Celts just don't matchup. Plain and simple. Long athletic teams that like to run are the ones that give the Cavs issues. Not slow half court teams focused around a 5'8 PG and Hayward.

I agree with this 100%.

The Bucks will be the 2nd best team in the East in the next few years. Giannis is head and shoulders above any player on the Wizards, Raptors or Celtics.

If I had to pick a team other than the Cavs to win the East next year, it'd be the Bucks.

As much as I love Giannis and agree with you here, he still needs more around him to be able to bring the Bucks to the Raps/Celts/Wiz tier. He's terrifying in a Playoff series but the Bucks still need a legit #2 guy to either emerge off their roster organically or acquire one via trade. Parker was supposed to be that guy but I don't think he'll ever get there after his 2nd ACL injury last year. Thon is the best candidate, but he is still likely a year or two away.

The Bucks are good, don't get me wrong, but they just don't have enough firepower as of this moment. If they get someone, however, the Bucks would certainly be #2 and would be the heir apparent to LBJ should he eventually slow down or move out West.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

Post#124 » by bmurph128 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:36 pm

Da ThRONe wrote:I'd say about a 20-25% chance. Cavs have done nothing to get better. LeBron doesn't seem committed to staying in Cleveland. Maybe Boston catches Cleveland sleep walking or there's a key injury(Love and Irving haven't been the most durable).

The Cavs bench will be better next year. Still not great...but it will be better.

We were also injured quite a bit during the season which threw off some of the chemistry - if we catch a break with injuries this year, we will easily be better than last year IMO.

We didn't make any big moves, but for the Celtics we don't have to. They're a long ways off.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

Post#125 » by bmurph128 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:38 pm

Wasp wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:
Seabass11 wrote:IMO Cavs are still 90% favorites unless injury bug hits them. My list of "teams I want to avoid in the playoffs" is

2) Wizards
3) Raptors
4) Celts

The Celts just don't matchup. Plain and simple. Long athletic teams that like to run are the ones that give the Cavs issues. Not slow half court teams focused around a 5'8 PG and Hayward.

I agree with this 100%.

The Bucks will be the 2nd best team in the East in the next few years. Giannis is head and shoulders above any player on the Wizards, Raptors or Celtics.

If I had to pick a team other than the Cavs to win the East next year, it'd be the Bucks.

As much as I love Giannis and agree with you here, he still needs more around him to be able to bring the Bucks to the Raps/Celts/Wiz tier. He's terrifying in a Playoff series but the Bucks still need a legit #2 guy to either emerge off their roster organically or acquire one via trade. Parker was supposed to be that guy but I don't think he'll ever get there after his 2nd ACL injury last year. Thon is the best candidate, but he is still likely a year or two away.

The Bucks are good, don't get me wrong, but they just don't have enough firepower as of this moment. If they get someone, however, the Bucks would certainly be #2 and would be the heir apparent to LBJ should he eventually slow down or move out West.

I agree, they won't finish 2nd in the East next year. I just don't see how the Celtics, Wizards or Raptors could win a playoff series against LeBron at this point.

I don't see it for the Bucks either, but with their length defensively it has a slightly higher chance of happening.

Like, I wouldn't necessarily pick the Bucks to beat the Raptors next year - but I would give the Bucks a better shot against the Cavs than the Raptors...if that makes sense.

I do however think they will eventually be the 2nd best team in the East. Maybe not for a few more years, but IMO it's going to happen.
phraoh
Sixth Man
And1: 714

Post#126 » by phraoh » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:40 pm

As a Cavs fan the two teams I wanted to avoid in the Eastern Conference last year were Milwaukee and Washington. The team I feared the LEAST (even more than Chicago and Indiana) was Boston...I frankly have no idea how they made the finals, other than a deep bench and a great coach, which by the way means very little "normally" in the playoffs. This year, I would prefer to avoid Milwaukee and Washington again, but certainly would rather play Chicago or Indiana than Boston !!! I do think either Washington or Milwaukee have a much better chance of beating the Cavs than Boston.
phraoh
Sixth Man
And1: 714

Post#127 » by phraoh » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:47 pm

Look if the Cavs don't have their heads on straight and Lebron possibly leaving becomes a huge distraction ANY team in the East could beat them....I just don't think Boston is the second best team in the East, especially come playoff time.
Else_where
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,510

Post#128 » by Else_where » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:47 pm

Make it 2028 and they have a better chance than 2018, given that Lebron would be retired.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Post#129 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:23 pm

Wasp wrote:
Boston34Bg wrote:
vexen wrote:
You do realize Lowry missed like 20 games? How good would the cetics do if they lost IT for 20 games? I mean still only 2 games back from the cetics, don't buy into the US media they don't know what they are talking about. Go back and watch the Celtics Raptors match up.. you guys have no idea how to stop Demar and now bradley is gone..

You do realize Avery missed 30 games and he was our 2nd best scorer before his injury. You do realize IT missed 5 games and Horford missed 15. Jae also missed around 10. We were the 2nd or 3rd most injured team in the league, Jazz were #1 if I'm not mistaking. Get a grip.

Ugh, not this again.

What is this awful stat game lost due to injury? I didn't even need to read it to know it's ****. I'm talking about raw MISSED GAMES. Not some wacky ass stat.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#130 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:24 pm

phraoh wrote:Look if the Cavs don't have their heads on straight and Lebron possibly leaving becomes a huge distraction ANY team in the East could beat them....I just don't think Boston is the second best team in the East, especially come playoff time.

:lol:
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Poohdini1
Sixth Man
And1: 1,243

Post#131 » by Poohdini1 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:27 pm

If 1 of Cleveland's big 3 gets injured maybe, but right now I'm still not sure they're THAT much better than TOR & WAS.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,253

Post#132 » by PhilBlackson » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:39 pm

Karate Diop wrote:I wouldn't say they have a good chance. But they have a chance. Cleveland, Washington and Toronto are all capable of beating Boston.

..and the Bucks.

They're the darkhorse of the East. The Bucks were very good in the second half of the season and scared the hell outta the Raptors in the 1st round and I'm sure that left a very bitter taste in Giannis' mouth. Their/Giannis' success is eerily similar to what LeBron/Cavs were at the same age (identical records actually). I'm not saying he's as good as LBJ but he may become the closest thing. If not this year, then next by the absolute latest Giannis as a superstar will simply overpower these "good teams" like BOS, TOR and WAS as LBJ did superior teams like BOS' Big 3 and the Pistons. Any of those 3 teams want no part of Giannis in the Playoffs next year!
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#133 » by LivingLegend » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:40 pm

Froob wrote:
Noobslife wrote:It won't happen. It's Warriors vs Cavaliers again.

Yup. I wouldn't bet against the king next season unless we are getting another major piece.

LivingLegend wrote:Is Kyrie Irving still being guarded by Isiah Thomas with no Avery Bradley? Then no--the Celtics will not be winning the series.

Kyrie tore up Bradley..

At least Bradley stood a chance of slowing him down and playing hard defense to make Kyrie work. There is now going to be a open runway to the rim and absolute abuse in the Kyrie/LeBron PnR with Isiah Thomas and Jalen Brown spearheading the Celtics backcourt.
casketball
Senior
And1: 405

Post#134 » by casketball » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:44 pm

Biggest problem with the Cavs is they outrebound Boston every time. Need at least one good rebounder on the roster to compete with them when TT comes in.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
"Get Out the Way, Let the Real F. Ballas thru" - Juvenile
Seabass11
Sixth Man
And1: 1,125

Post#135 » by Seabass11 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:45 pm

Wasp wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:

2) Wizards
3) Raptors
4) Celts

I agree with this 100%.

If all of their guys take big steps forward (Brogdon, Middleton, Maker, GIannis) and Jabari can actually stay on the court, I could 100% see the Bucks on the same tier as those other 3. IMO Giannis will be the best player on the court against any team in the East not named the Cavs.
-Spyda-
Pro Prospect
And1: 363

Post#136 » by -Spyda- » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:00 pm

Yes.
Wasp
Sixth Man

Post#137 » by Wasp » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:25 pm

Boston34Bg wrote:
Wasp wrote:
Boston34Bg wrote:

Ugh, not this again.

What is this awful stat game lost due to injury? I didn't even need to read it to know it's ****. I'm talking about raw MISSED GAMES. Not some wacky ass stat.

Games lost due to injury or illness ARE "raw missed games". The former is the actual name for the stat and the latter is something you made up. But if you want to dismiss a stat that directly disproves your argument simply because you don't understand it, be my guest.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#138 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Wasp wrote:
Boston34Bg wrote:
Wasp wrote:
Ugh, not this again.

Games lost due to injury or illness ARE "raw missed games". The former is the actual name for the stat and the latter is something you made up. But if you want to dismiss a stat that directly disproves your argument simply because you don't understand it, be my guest.

I'm convinced I've seen a stat that our starting 5 was top 3 in missed games. This stat more than likely includes the whole team?
Good assessment:

mszymko
Pro Prospect
And1: 252

Post#139 » by mszymko » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:02 pm

no
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,371

Post#140 » by Homerclease » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:15 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
Froob wrote:
Noobslife wrote:It won't happen. It's Warriors vs Cavaliers again.

Yup. I wouldn't bet against the king next season unless we are getting another major piece.

LivingLegend wrote:Is Kyrie Irving still being guarded by Isiah Thomas with no Avery Bradley? Then no--the Celtics will not be winning the series.

Kyrie tore up Bradley..

At least Bradley stood a chance of slowing him down and playing hard defense to make Kyrie work. There is now going to be a open runway to the rim and absolute abuse in the Kyrie/LeBron PnR with Isiah Thomas and Jalen Brown spearheading the Celtics backcourt.

Kyrie had his worst scoring games when Thomas played, probably due to him having to exert effort on the defensive end in his own right. The Smart/Bradley backcourt did a fabulous job holding the cavs to 130 points without Thomas. Best defense is a good offense. If you can't make the other team work on defense yourself you stand no chance.

That being said, the Celtics have a punchers chance with their revamped roster but I wouldn't call it a good one. 2019 on the other hand?

Return to The General Board