ImageImageImageImageImage

Exclusive Scott Perry Interview

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

RealGM
And1: 39,071

Exclusive Scott Perry Interview 

Post#1 » by 2010 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:28 pm

“To have this opportunity to come to New York in the role of general manager, personally, it’s a very humbling time too,” Perry told The Undefeated in an exclusive interview. “I have been grinding in the game for 30 years. I spent 13 years as a college coach. I have had the peaks and valleys and all in-between.

“It’s been one whirlwind. I am a person of faith. It’s interesting.”

“I am a guy who always sees the positive in things,” Perry said. “I see great potential there. Look, you’re in New York City. The Knicks franchise is known around the globe. You just need some time, patience, organization and to put it together right.

“Everything you need in New York is there to change things around and have a very successful team. Now, it’s about going out there and doing it and getting everybody on the same page, so that will be a part of my role in helping Steve do that. It’s going to be a unified front in everything that we do. Have a culture of inclusion and being about the team, and not about ourselves and our own egos.

“I’ve always had a great deal of respect for Carmelo the player and the person,” said Perry, who declined to talk in detail about Anthony’s situation.

“The day I was let go in Orlando, God had something better in store for me,“ Perry said. “My phone rang two days later from Sacramento.”

“There are certain things I didn’t have control of,” Perry said. “You need someone to see in you what you believe you have, someone to put you in a position to be a general manager of a franchise. I’ve been accumulating experience, and I’m going to my 18th season in the NBA. Obviously, I felt I was ready prior to this moment, but never did get the chance.”

“The [Knicks’ challenge] is no different than Sacramento,” Perry said. “When I came to Sacramento, I heard a lot of similar viewpoints of how tough it would be. You get the right people in there, with the right vision, positive attitude and a group working together for a common goal, as we know in sports you can change things around.”

“I was able to come out here and with an excellent guy in Vlade and really help him act out his vision for the team,” Perry said. “In three months’ time, the entire NBA was able to see what I could do with the draft, free agency. The type of narrative that surrounds Sacramento now from the time I got hired, I think, has changed a great deal. I think the team is heading in the right direction.”

First and foremost, I’ve got to be myself and represent who I am,” Perry said. “Secondly, I am a black man who takes great pride in my history and my heritage. Knowing that a lot of times my performance can help open up doors for other aspiring African-American basketball executives down the line, I want to do the very best job I can to represent me and my family’s name, as well as representing that issue as well. At the end of the day, the only thing that we have is the legacy we leave.

When my father passed away back when I first started in the NBA, he always was one of my biggest supporters, along with my mom,” Perry said. I told him, ‘I’m going to get there. I am going to be [a GM] one day.’ Even though he hasn’t been around for much of this, he’s been around just in how he raised me, taught perseverance and to continue to pursue your goals and dreams no matter the odds or the obstacles.

“I’ve had a lot of bright days in the NBA, days in the middle and days that are very tough. My attitude or mentality is much more middle ground. I never get too high or too low. It’s allowed me to hang tough and get here. It’s good to be rewarded for that.”

https://theundefeated.com/features/scott-perry-realizes-his-dream-of-becoming-an-nba-general-manager/

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
NotPhilJackson
Senior
And1: 320

Re: Exclusive Scott Perry Interview 

Post#2 » by NotPhilJackson » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:36 pm

Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#3 » by Thugger HBC » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:40 pm

That was a very solid interview. Very impressive. he touched on a lot of points as to who he is and what he wants to do.

Gonna be interesting to see how he moves forward with the Knicks.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,334

Post#4 » by MP4LIFE » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:42 pm

Nice interview. Hope he follows through. I've been a Knick fan a long time to stop seeing words on a page and thinking much of them. Only actions will determine how to judge this man. He seems well-regarded, but he doesn't seem to have much power, just a second guy for someone like clueless Mills to have to bounce ideas off of. Still, better him in this position than Allan Houston or Herb Williams or whatnot.

I like how the OP making a point about not having egos yet one of the people he throws big support towards (Isiah) had and still has one of the biggest egos in the sport.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#5 » by Mecca » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:46 pm

I really like the hire. I'm on record with that. Has a business degree, played the sport, coached the sport, and worked his way up as an executive. Speaks well, has a plan. That's all you can look for at this point.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
Dkillanyk4lyf
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,625

Post#6 » by Dkillanyk4lyf » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:47 pm

This is beautiful!!!!

#BELIEVEINPERRY!!!!!!!!!
RealGM

Post#7 » by 2010 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:50 pm

Perry keeps it real. He is comfortable in his own skin. He emptied the clip in Phil punk ass too! He didn't save any bullets. Nothing but kill shots, no leg wounds.

:lol:

IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#8 » by IllmaticHandler » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:52 pm

2010 wrote:
“To have this opportunity to come to New York in the role of general manager, personally, it’s a very humbling time too,” Perry told The Undefeated in an exclusive interview. “I have been grinding in the game for 30 years. I spent 13 years as a college coach. I have had the peaks and valleys and all in-between.

“It’s been one whirlwind. I am a person of faith. It’s interesting.”

“I am a guy who always sees the positive in things,” Perry said. “I see great potential there. Look, you’re in New York City. The Knicks franchise is known around the globe. You just need some time, patience, organization and to put it together right.

“Everything you need in New York is there to change things around and have a very successful team. Now, it’s about going out there and doing it and getting everybody on the same page, so that will be a part of my role in helping Steve do that. It’s going to be a unified front in everything that we do. Have a culture of inclusion and being about the team, and not about ourselves and our own egos.

“I’ve always had a great deal of respect for Carmelo the player and the person,” said Perry, who declined to talk in detail about Anthony’s situation.

“The day I was let go in Orlando, God had something better in store for me,“ Perry said. “My phone rang two days later from Sacramento.”

“There are certain things I didn’t have control of,” Perry said. “You need someone to see in you what you believe you have, someone to put you in a position to be a general manager of a franchise. I’ve been accumulating experience, and I’m going to my 18th season in the NBA. Obviously, I felt I was ready prior to this moment, but never did get the chance.”

“The [Knicks’ challenge] is no different than Sacramento,” Perry said. “When I came to Sacramento, I heard a lot of similar viewpoints of how tough it would be. You get the right people in there, with the right vision, positive attitude and a group working together for a common goal, as we know in sports you can change things around.”

“I was able to come out here and with an excellent guy in Vlade and really help him act out his vision for the team,” Perry said. “In three months’ time, the entire NBA was able to see what I could do with the draft, free agency. The type of narrative that surrounds Sacramento now from the time I got hired, I think, has changed a great deal. I think the team is heading in the right direction.”

First and foremost, I’ve got to be myself and represent who I am,” Perry said. “Secondly, I am a black man who takes great pride in my history and my heritage. Knowing that a lot of times my performance can help open up doors for other aspiring African-American basketball executives down the line, I want to do the very best job I can to represent me and my family’s name, as well as representing that issue as well. At the end of the day, the only thing that we have is the legacy we leave.

When my father passed away back when I first started in the NBA, he always was one of my biggest supporters, along with my mom,” Perry said. I told him, ‘I’m going to get there. I am going to be [a GM] one day.’ Even though he hasn’t been around for much of this, he’s been around just in how he raised me, taught perseverance and to continue to pursue your goals and dreams no matter the odds or the obstacles.

“I’ve had a lot of bright days in the NBA, days in the middle and days that are very tough. My attitude or mentality is much more middle ground. I never get too high or too low. It’s allowed me to hang tough and get here. It’s good to be rewarded for that.”

https://theundefeated.com/features/scott-perry-realizes-his-dream-of-becoming-an-nba-general-manager/

Seeing how Perry worked his way up and how he has a quiet confidence....

How Phil Jackson was given 12 million and was a straight Bum and had a corny direction....

RealGM

Post#9 » by 2010 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:57 pm

The next critical element is what kind of haul we can get back for Melo and/or Lee.

IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#10 » by IllmaticHandler » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:00 pm

Me After Griffin Withdrawing...

Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Thugger HBC » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:03 pm

2010 wrote:The next critical element is what kind of haul we can get back for Melo and/or Lee.

He might convince melo to be that mentor for a year.....

3eePointGoal
Bench Warmer
And1: 857

Post#12 » by 3eePointGoal » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:04 pm

He sounds genuine. I ll give h the benefit of the doubt. Its just that in the back of my mind I know Dolan is still the owner and I don't trust him.
C- Andre Drummond, Jared Sullinger
PF- Zach Randolph, Marquese Chriss
SF- Danilo Gallinari, Jerami Grant
SG- Devin Booker, Arron Afflalo, Randy Foye
PG- Rajon Rondo, Emmanuel Mudiay

pmoney681@gmail.com
RealGM

Post#13 » by 2010 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:05 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:Me After Griffin Withdrawing...

Griffin was just looking for a come-up. He thought Mills was a sucker. Now he played himself. He wanted Mills job or to not have to answer to Mills at all. Now look. Mills has allowed Perry to hire staff members, which supposedly was a deal-breaker with Griffin. This is what happens when you try to bite the hand that feeds you. Who openly pines for their interviewers job? Who lets it be known to their interviewer that they do not want to answer to them or work in tandem with them. This is that privileged mentality. Phucc-A-Griffin!

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,977

Post#14 » by Capn'O » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:05 pm

MP4LIFE wrote:Nice interview. Hope he follows through. I've been a Knick fan a long time to stop seeing words on a page and thinking much of them. Only actions will determine how to judge this man. He seems well-regarded, but he doesn't seem to have much power, just a second guy for someone like clueless Mills to have to bounce ideas off of. Still, better him in this position than Allan Houston or Herb Williams or whatnot.

K....

I like how the OP making a point about not having egos yet one of the people he throws big support towards (Isiah) had and still has one of the biggest egos in the sport.

Can we not interject beefs that are literally ten years old (and both under previous screen names, for that matter) into every discussion?
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
RealGM

Post#15 » by 2010 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:06 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:
2010 wrote:The next critical element is what kind of haul we can get back for Melo and/or Lee.

I can rock with that over accepting a bad hual. At least in that case we take on no additional bad contracts and get ~$30 million in cap relief.

RealGM

Post#16 » by 2010 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:08 pm

3eePointGoal wrote:He sounds genuine. I ll give h the benefit of the doubt. Its just that in the back of my mind I know Dolan is still the owner and I don't trust him.

Dolan was still the owner with Phil though, and the vast majority trusted him. Even when his track record across the 3 years suggested otherwise (aside from not trading 1st round picks).

Dolan stated in the press release "I will continue to not be involved with operating the team". Same as was the case when Phil was here. So why the renewed distrust?

Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Thugger HBC » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:10 pm

2010 wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:

I can rock with that over accepting a bad hual. At least in that case we take on no additional bad contracts and get roughly ~$30 million in cap relief.

Sometimes the best deal is not taking a bad deal. I think he's a good hire, being well traveled and goal oriented is certainly a plus.

3eePointGoal
Bench Warmer
And1: 857

Re: RE: Re: Exclusive Scott Perry Interview 

Post#18 » by 3eePointGoal » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:13 pm

2010 wrote:
3eePointGoal wrote:He sounds genuine. I ll give h the benefit of the doubt. Its just that in the back of my mind I know Dolan is still the owner and I don't trust him.

Dolan was still the owner with Phil though, and the vast majority trusted him. Even when his track record across the 3 years suggested otherwise (aside from not trading 1st round picks).

Dolan stated in the press release "I will continue to not be involved with operating the team". Same as was the case when Phil was here. So why the renewed distrust?

At this point I just feel that Dolan brings bad juju to the organization. I'm just going based off history. Like I said imma give this guy Perry a clean slate. See if he can truly start shifting the paradigm . Beginning with how he's going to handle this whole Melodrama.
C- Andre Drummond, Jared Sullinger
PF- Zach Randolph, Marquese Chriss
SF- Danilo Gallinari, Jerami Grant
SG- Devin Booker, Arron Afflalo, Randy Foye
PG- Rajon Rondo, Emmanuel Mudiay

pmoney681@gmail.com
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,977

Post#19 » by Capn'O » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:17 pm

2010 wrote:

Dolan did intervene when he fired Phil. He went from "ask Phil" to "fire Phil" in a few months seemingly without even an intervening transition. And as soon as you say "but..." that's the point of concession. Dolan just did intervene in the operation of the team. He broke his word on that. I get that it was probably time (and Phil was probably angling to get fired towards the end) but...

Second, what's wrong with a little accountability from the fanbase? We've been through enough and a lot of the faces here are the same. Those of us that have been here for awhile know that a lot of times things start out measured and with patience but when the pressure starts to build the team ends up doing something stupid that they then have to dig out of. Enough of that!
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
IllmaticHandler
RealGM

Post#20 » by IllmaticHandler » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:24 pm

Capn'O wrote:
2010 wrote:

Dolan did intervene when he fired Phil. He went from "ask Phil" to "fire Phil" in a few months seemingly without even an intervening transition. And as soon as you say "but..." that's the point of concession. Dolan just did intervene in the operation of the team. He broke his word on that. I get that it was probably time (and Phil was probably angling to get fired towards the end) but...

Second, what's wrong with a little accountability from the fanbase? We've been through enough and a lot of the faces here are the same. Those of us that have been here for awhile know that a lot of times things start out measured and with patience but when the pressure starts to build the team ends up doing something stupid that they then have to dig out of. Enough of that!

Come on Bro. The dude let Phil do the Job till he proved to him he sucked at it. He actually gave Phil every chance to do the Job. You acting like Dolan should have just let phil ride out till end as to Keep his "word" . they renewed him didn't they? he put alot of faith into Phil doing the Job untill enough was enough. Dolan knew what Phil was doing was wrong with Melo. He hates bad Pub...but he stayed OUT OF IT...if thats as not a test to him staying away nothing won't be. Phil HAD TO GO....I dont see how you are making this out to be as if Dolan broke his word cause he fired Phil....Phil had total control.

Return to New York Knicks