What Are the Odds the Lakers Make the Playoffs?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Don Ford
Analyst
And1: 1,042

Re: What Are the Odds the Lakers Make the Playoffs? 

Post#201 » by Don Ford » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:40 am

joyeuxnoel wrote:
ProfessorJM wrote:
joyeuxnoel wrote:If ball's jumper is broken hes going to suck extremely bad, like lakers drafting 1st overall pick bad

but if his jumper is elite (45% from 3 on high volume) , hes going to have a great rookie year but the lakers will still be a bottom 6 team

Wow -- high volume 45% from 3 is beyond elite to me that's really a ridiculous expectation for a rookie or even 95%+ of NBA players that have ever played.

well thats the only way it'll open up the passing lanes in the half-court. He struggled driving in college, so he's going to need an elite shot

This isn't completely wrong but it's pretty close. Ball is an elite level passer with elite level court vision and is already pretty good at getting to the basket, particularly in full court situations. He does need to tweek his outside shot, IMO, but developing a good 3pt shot (good being defined as around or above 40%, not 45%) will be the difference between him being a good player and a great player, not sucking "extremely bad."
joyeuxnoel
Bench Warmer
And1: 699

Post#202 » by joyeuxnoel » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:44 am

Don Ford wrote:
joyeuxnoel wrote:
ProfessorJM wrote:
Wow -- high volume 45% from 3 is beyond elite to me that's really a ridiculous expectation for a rookie or even 95%+ of NBA players that have ever played.

well thats the only way it'll open up the passing lanes in the half-court. He struggled driving in college, so he's going to need an elite shot

This isn't completely wrong but it's pretty close. Ball is an elite level passer with elite level court vision and is already pretty good at getting to the basket, particularly in full court situations. He does need to tweek his outside shot, IMO, but developing a good 3pt shot (good being defined as around or above 40%, not 45%) will be the difference between him being a good player and a great player, not sucking "extremely bad."

His first step is pretty underwhelming which is why he rarely drove the ball in college in the half-court. He scored mainly on 3 point shots and backdoor cuts in the half-court in college.

I think that he'll be similar to Rubio rookie year on offense if his shot isn't elite.
Embiid-Simmons-Covington

Fire Colangelo
edped
Ballboy
And1: 15

Post#203 » by edped » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:06 am

This team will make some noise in the west. May be not enough to make the playoffs but they will win way more than last year. I do hope they make the playoffs though. Lonzo is the most transcendent rookie this year. Folks just don't want to accept it because he's been hyped a lot and he's playing for he lakers.
couchie
Pro Prospect
And1: 495

Post#204 » by couchie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:20 am

Not making the playoffs is not making noise. They will be all over the tv schedule so there is that. They haven't played a game in the regular season yet so I'm not counting out some other rookies that I've seen. But depends on how much time they get.
Camping Fan
Senior
And1: 215

Post#205 » by Camping Fan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:44 am

Considering that the Rookies in the Summer league just beat several teams that were stacked with veterans, I would have to conclude the Lakers chances are better than before. Lonzo Ball and Ingram with Pope and Brook and Randle in my opinion is going to be fun to watch
Lakers 2020
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#206 » by Jkam31 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:54 am

Seriously no offense but if you give them more than a 0.1% chance you're a moran

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#207 » by JellosJigglin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:16 am

joyeuxnoel wrote:
ProfessorJM wrote:
joyeuxnoel wrote:If ball's jumper is broken hes going to suck extremely bad, like lakers drafting 1st overall pick bad

but if his jumper is elite (45% from 3 on high volume) , hes going to have a great rookie year but the lakers will still be a bottom 6 team

He shot a ridiculous 75% from 2 in college. He did just fine inside the 3 point line. He takes what the defense gives him.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#208 » by JellosJigglin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:24 am

JGOJustin wrote:
JellosJigglin wrote:
JGOJustin wrote:
Hating on the Lakers? Really? Lol they aren't worth hating on right now man i'm sorry :(

I'm not on the playoff bandwagon but if you think they got worse, you're either hatin or just clueless. Take your pick.

PG: Russell ---> Lonzo TBD (personally I already see it as an upgrade)
SG: Young ---> contract year KCP UPGRADE
SF: Deng/rookie Ingram ---> soph Ingram UPGRADE
PF: Randle ---> contract year Randle TBD
C: Mozgov/Black ---> contract year Lopez UPGRADE

At worst, they've upgraded 3 of the 5 starting positions, and possibly all 5.

Yeah well...we legit don't know if ANY of what you said is true.

D'Lo avg 15/5/6 last year including almost 20 a game post all star break. That's going to be pretty hard to match.

You don't know what a "Contract year KCP" looks like. He was mediocre in Detroit last year and is going to a worse team.

You don't know if "Soph ingram" is going to take a leap. You don't know what that looks like.

You don't know what "Contract year Randle" Looks like fam.

Brook lopez is good, but you don't know how he'll look like playing with the aforementioned. Ingram was so bad last year that he could improve, and still not contribute to wins. We don't know. Randle still hasnt proved that he can contribute to winning. So at the end of the day, you're doing a lot of hoping and assuming. All of what you said could be true, but it's just as likely that it isn't.

Nick young became a two way player under Luke, D'Lo was really good last year, Lou Williams was awesome under luke, no one on the team right now is as good as Lou Williams or D'Lo but somehow they ALREADY got better.

But I do know.

Don't know why you're bringing up DLo when I said "TBD". Say what you want about Young's defense, he couldn't guard PG's like KCP can. I've seen enough from Ingram to know he's better. Your knowledge will catch up with mine eventually. I know I don't know what "contract year Randle looks like". That's why I said "TBD". Read. Lopez is an upgrade over Mozgov any way you slice it.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
JGOJustin
Pro Prospect
And1: 726

Post#209 » by JGOJustin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:42 am

JellosJigglin wrote:
JGOJustin wrote:
JellosJigglin wrote:
I'm not on the playoff bandwagon but if you think they got worse, you're either hatin or just clueless. Take your pick.

D'Lo avg 15/5/6 last year including almost 20 a game post all star break. That's going to be pretty hard to match.

You don't know what a "Contract year KCP" looks like. He was mediocre in Detroit last year and is going to a worse team.

You don't know if "Soph ingram" is going to take a leap. You don't know what that looks like.

Brook lopez is good, but you don't know how he'll look like playing with the aforementioned. Ingram was so bad last year that he could improve, and still not contribute to wins. We don't know. Randle still hasnt proved that he can contribute to winning. So at the end of the day, you're doing a lot of hoping and assuming. All of what you said could be true, but it's just as likely that it isn't.

Nick young became a two way player under Luke, D'Lo was really good last year, Lou Williams was awesome under luke, no one on the team right now is as good as Lou Williams or D'Lo but somehow they ALREADY got better.

But I do know.

Don't know why you're bringing up DLo when I said "TBD". Say what you want about Young's defense, he couldn't guard PG's like KCP can. I've seen enough from Ingram to know he's better. Your knowledge will catch up with mine eventually. I know I don't know what "contract year Randle looks like". That's why I said "TBD". Read. Lopez is an upgrade over Mozgov any way you slice it.

You're biased. You don't know. KCP was averaging 14 a game last year on barely 40% shooting. That is not an upgrade over Lou or NY. He shot a career high 35% from 3 last year. At the very least, KCP being an upgrade that contributes to wins is a TBD.

And you can't possibly say you've seen enough to KNOW Unequivocally that Ingram will be better to the point where he's affecting wins. Being better and contributing to wins aren't the same thing. He was awful for most of last season, and only started looking "better" when they were playing him like 40 min a night in games that didn't even matter. He's played in ONE summer league game. You haven't seen anything that says for sure he's going to make a giant leap and start affecting wins. To say you have is flat out bias man.

And Lopez is indeed an upgrade over Timo and any other big post Pau, but if everyone else is a downgrade (Which is a very real possibility if you take your laker blinders off) then Lopez being better won't matter much in terms of wins.

Learn something lol
@JamalCristopher - Come Back To California https://soundcloud.com/jamalcristopher/california
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#210 » by Prospect Dong » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:44 am

JellosJigglin wrote:
JGOJustin wrote:
JellosJigglin wrote:

But I do know.

This guy knows a lot about the lakers and rating their young players. Just look at this analysis:

It's basically a completely new roster. The only players returning from last season that will actually get minutes are Clarkson, Young and Tarik Black. Clarkson and Black didn't play until the 2nd half of the season and Young is expendable. Wouldn't surprise me if they were competing for the 8th spot. As long as they're in the 9th/10th range during the reg season they'll have a shot, but will need some luck with good health.

It's unlikely, but it's a great goal for their young core to aim for. Kobe is a classic overachiever. The term "shoot for the stars and you might hit the moon" applies perfectly to him. I hope that is the attitude he's passing on to the young guys. The training starts now. It's what you do in the summer to prepare that counts.

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=1402787&start=40

The young guys are all playing significant minutes, and lately they're winning games on the backs of the young core, not streaky shooting from Young and Lou. The development is already taking place before our eyes. They couldn't tank right now if they wanted to. The young players aren't allowing that to happen.

Before last night I believe they played the most road games in the entire league. The schedule eases up and they're only 2.5 games out of the 8th seed. Now they have a reason to learn how to buckle down and grind out wins. That's worth more to their development then just giving up and quitting for a chance at a top 3 pick that is already out of reach without some ping pong luck.
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#211 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:47 am

I think the Lakers have quite a bit of upside as a team. The KCP acquisition was really shrewd by the brass there. KCP in theory is the quintessential player to put next to Ball in the backcourt in that he can guard the opposing PG, which will allow Ball to guard the lesser player most nights. You add the continued development of Ingram and Randle in the seams, which having a pass-first PG like Ball could only help in that process, and you begin to see how this squad can shape up. And I do think Brook Lopez is a nice addition to that team, he could really be a glue-type as a veteran on the team, especially since Zubac and Bryant don't seem like they'll be quite ready to assume more prominent roles in the frontcourt.

And most important, this team seems to fit the way Walton wants to play, sort of like a pseudo-Warriors mix. Kuzma is like a prototypical player to fit that type of offence and playing style.

I don't know about the playoffs since the West is so strong, but I think they'll be much more competitive. And since they don't have their pick next year, I think they'll be okay with that.
NaturalBuns
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,463

Post#212 » by NaturalBuns » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:48 am

edped wrote:This team will make some noise in the west. May be not enough to make the playoffs but they will win way more than last year. I do hope they make the playoffs though. Lonzo is the most transcendent rookie this year. Folks just don't want to accept it because he's been hyped a lot and he's playing for he lakers.

No because no rookie has played an NBA game
oldscho0led wrote:Baseball is all about momentum. Pirates will carry their winning ways and beat Giants in the Wildcard.

A's over Royals. Lester and experience will prove that he's worth the trade.

Tigers winning it all. Tigers are, imo, peaking at the right time.
eckoner
Sixth Man
And1: 208

Post#213 » by eckoner » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:54 am

I think they "COULD" make the playoffs but arguing this with the deeply entrenched Laker haters is like arguing with a trump supporter! lol
BloodNinja
Analyst
And1: 5,562

Post#214 » by BloodNinja » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:17 am

JGOJustin wrote:You're biased. You don't know. KCP was averaging 14 a game last year on barely 40% shooting. That is not an upgrade over Lou or NY. He shot a career high 35% from 3 last year. At the very least, KCP being an upgrade that contributes to wins is a TBD.

KCP's is easily better than Lou or Young. He's an elite perimeter defender despite being streaky offensively
JGOJustin
Pro Prospect
And1: 726

Post#215 » by JGOJustin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:31 am

BloodNinja wrote:
JGOJustin wrote:You're biased. You don't know. KCP was averaging 14 a game last year on barely 40% shooting. That is not an upgrade over Lou or NY. He shot a career high 35% from 3 last year. At the very least, KCP being an upgrade that contributes to wins is a TBD.

KCP's is easily better than Lou or Young. He's an elite perimeter defender despite being streaky offensively

I mean what? Lou will had a 21 PER last year and averaged 18 a game man. EASILY better than Lou is ridiculous man. Nick Young put up 13 a game last year with a 14 PER.

KCP being easily better than these guys is pure madness.
@JamalCristopher - Come Back To California https://soundcloud.com/jamalcristopher/california
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#216 » by DEEP3CL » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:21 am

JGOJustin wrote:
DEEP3CL wrote:
JGOJustin wrote:They legit don't have a chance in hell. I'd be floored if they did.

They aren't even better than last year's team at the moment.
That's delusional, adding Lopez and Ball make them better than having Mozgov and Russell.

You don't know this. Brook is an upgrade, but we don't know if that is going to translate into wins.

You also don't know if Ball is going to be an upgrade over Russell. Russell was good last year, and was VERY good post Lou Williams trade. I seriously don't Ball will be that good in year 1.

Laker bias got y'all fooled. There's no way Ball will be as good as Russell in YEAR ONE. Other than Lopez, every player on the roster is either unproven, or not good.
:crazy: ...Man I've been watching pro ball for more than 30 years, I knew NBA talent all too well. It's comical of you to tell me what I don't know. But keep thinking you're right.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
doozyj
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,842

Post#217 » by doozyj » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:30 am

Jkam31 wrote:Seriously no offense but if you give them more than a 0.1% chance you're a moran

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Oh the irony of this post, it's "moron" not "moran".
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,276

Post#218 » by Jedi32 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:50 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
JGOJustin wrote:
DEEP3CL wrote:That's delusional, adding Lopez and Ball make them better than having Mozgov and Russell.

You don't know this. Brook is an upgrade, but we don't know if that is going to translate into wins.

You also don't know if Ball is going to be an upgrade over Russell. Russell was good last year, and was VERY good post Lou Williams trade. I seriously don't Ball will be that good in year 1.

Laker bias got y'all fooled. There's no way Ball will be as good as Russell in YEAR ONE. Other than Lopez, every player on the roster is either unproven, or not good.
:crazy: ...Man I've been watching pro ball for more than 30 years, I knew NBA talent all too well. It's comical of you to tell me what I don't know. But keep thinking you're right.

yeah for someone that claims the lakers aren't worth hating on that poster sure is going out of his/her way to do it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#219 » by NBAfan3024 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:50 am

BloodNinja wrote:

Cmon no he isn't. They are all on the same tier
LakersSquad
Analyst
And1: 132

Post#220 » by LakersSquad » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:05 am

JGOJustin wrote:
BloodNinja wrote:

I mean what? Lou will had a 21 PER last year and averaged 18 a game man. EASILY better than Lou is ridiculous man. Nick Young put up 13 a game last year with a 14 PER.

KCP being easily better than these guys is pure madness.

There's more to the game than ppg and per. I'm not knocking Lou but the two players serve two different purposes. One isn't starting material he's a spark off the bench. The other is a starter who can be put in the right situation. KCP runs the floor well and will be on the receiving end of Balls and Randles passes. His 35% from 3pt 6 per game is what DLO gave us. Although I think DLO is the better scorer. He's 37% catch and shoot from 3pt. He's more consistent on defense than Young. Having him next to Ingram should improve the defense. As far as Lopez defense goes I really don't know who's better him or Timo. What I do know is Lopez fits the team on the offensive side big time. I think the team improved considerably but I don't know if playoffs is likely. Let's see how they start the season

Return to The General Board