ImageImageImageImageImage

With Carmelo are we a playoff team?

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

With Carmelo are we a playoff team? 

Post#1 » by NYKHardKnock » Wed Aug 9, 2017 4:41 pm

We've done a lot of promising stuff this off season.. Not that I'm pro playoff team considering I want a clean rebuild personally but a lineup of..

Frank Ntilikina - Ramon Sessions - Ron Baker
Courtney Lee - Tim Hardaway Jr. - Dame Dotson
Carmelo Anthony - Lance Thomas
Kristaps Porzingis - Michael Beasley - KOQ
Willy Hernangomez - Joakim Noah - KOQ

Looks pretty reasonable especially in the east. Frank brings team play and passion. Timmy and Beas brings scoring off the bench, Joke, Baker and KOQ can bring grit if Noah is ever healthy.

Imo it's not a terrible team. We certainly won't compete with the worst teams so the lottery won't happen. We can bring meaningful basketball to guys like KP, Willy and Frank. We still have our firsts so we can bring in youth over the years.

I know it's beating a dead horse but I wouldn't be upset if Carmelo is still a Knick
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,850

Re: With Carmelo are we a playoff team? 

Post#2 » by Fury » Wed Aug 9, 2017 4:44 pm

I think we can sneak in. Which is why we need to trade him
shtolky
Head Coach
And1: 4,654

Post#3 » by shtolky » Wed Aug 9, 2017 4:49 pm

Kristaps6_NYK wrote:We've done a lot of promising stuff this off season.. Not that I'm pro playoff team considering I want a clean rebuild personally but a lineup of..

Looks pretty reasonable especially in the east. Frank brings team play and passion. Timmy and Beas brings scoring off the bench, Joke, Baker and KOQ can bring grit if Noah is ever healthy.

Imo it's not a terrible team. We certainly won't compete with the worst teams so the lottery won't happen. We can bring meaningful basketball to guys like KP, Willy and Frank. We still have our firsts so we can bring in youth over the years.

I know it's beating a dead horse but I wouldn't be upset if Carmelo is still a Knick

I don't see how Lee starts at the 2 over THJ. Given how piss poor the east is, how we would have actual PG's who would look to get others involved (at least compared to Rose), and a likely KP year 3 leap, a playoff push is definitely possible. But as was said above, that's why you deal Melo. Getting the 8th seed is fine and dandy for all of 5 seconds, until we get swept or beaten in 5. Gotta keep the rebuild going, deal Melo, have Frank start by the end of the season, and add another lotto pick in time for that juicy 2019 FA class.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 99,636

Post#4 » by mpharris36 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 4:51 pm

B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#5 » by ChaosHamster » Wed Aug 9, 2017 4:51 pm

ECF
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach

Post#6 » by NYKHardKnock » Wed Aug 9, 2017 4:52 pm

shtolky wrote:
Kristaps6_NYK wrote:We've done a lot of promising stuff this off season.. Not that I'm pro playoff team considering I want a clean rebuild personally but a lineup of..

I don't see how Lee starts at the 2 over THJ. Given how piss poor the east is, how we would have actual PG's who would look to get others involved (at least compared to Rose), and a likely KP year 3 leap, a playoff push is definitely possible. But as was said above, that's why you deal Melo. Getting the 8th seed is fine and dandy for all of 5 seconds, until we get swept or beaten in 5. Gotta keep the rebuild going, deal Melo, have Frank start by the end of the season, and add another lotto pick in time for that juicy 2019 FA class.
Im for a rebuild 110% but if we don't we could be a good team. I'd put THJr on the bench as 6th man. Clear 6man winner
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,605

Post#7 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Aug 9, 2017 4:54 pm

i think so...

i want him gone nao!
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Caramel_Anton
Junior
And1: 97

Post#8 » by Caramel_Anton » Wed Aug 9, 2017 4:55 pm

Your depth chart is all sorts of wrong..

Pending no moves we are more than likely going to start the season like:
RS / Frank / Baker / Randle
THjr / Lee / Dotson / Baker
Melo / Thomas / Lee / Dotson
KP6 / Beasley / KOQ / Kornet
Willy / KOQ / Noah / Kornet

With Porzingis playing a lot of C and Melo playing a lot of 4. Lee will see 6th man minutes at the 2/3.

We really should make playoffs with that which is why Melo, Lee & even K'OQ should be moved.
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach

Post#9 » by NYKHardKnock » Wed Aug 9, 2017 4:59 pm

Caramel_Anton wrote:

With Porzingis playing a lot of C and Melo playing a lot of 4. Lee will see 6th man minutes at the 2/3.

We really should make playoffs with that which is why Melo, Lee & even K'OQ should be moved.
I had Frank and Lee starting? How is that all sorts of wrong?
Caramel_Anton
Junior
And1: 97

Post#10 » by Caramel_Anton » Wed Aug 9, 2017 5:01 pm

Kristaps6_NYK wrote:
Caramel_Anton wrote:

I had Frank and Lee starting? How is that all sorts of wrong?

Because initially I was going to say KP6 was going to be our starting C but that really would only happen if these other guys get traded. So you weren't all sorts of wrong, just very wrong about THjr not starting.
Knicksfan1992
RealGM
And1: 13,653

Post#11 » by Knicksfan1992 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 5:04 pm

If you're starting Ramon Sessions on opening night you have no aspirations for being a good team... PGs will continuously out perform ours until Frank starts to improve. Melo will continue to regress and it's been proven he can't carry subpar casts anymore to enough wins to make the playoffs. Even with a KP jump, I don't see it... We're not going to be good enough defensively on a consistent basis to win the majority of our games. Only reason we would get in, is that the East is that bad after the top 4 and someone has to make it.
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,610

Post#12 » by Billy Goat » Wed Aug 9, 2017 5:04 pm

Why would the same exact team as last year win 10 more games?
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach

Post#13 » by NYKHardKnock » Wed Aug 9, 2017 5:10 pm

Billy Goat wrote:Why would the same exact team as last year win 10 more games?
Added youth and legit scoring options, got rid of DRose and the triangle. Could be a 45 win team imo..
ChilledAlex
Sixth Man
And1: 960

Post#14 » by ChilledAlex » Wed Aug 9, 2017 5:11 pm

Just watch Noah come out healthy, in shape and hungry... In this weak conference we can really be a treadmill team
shtolky
Head Coach
And1: 4,654

Post#15 » by shtolky » Wed Aug 9, 2017 5:13 pm

Not really the exact same team. New SG, new PGs, probable big improvements from Willy and KP, and a net negative in Rose gone. Plus, you're assuming it takes 41 wins to make the playoffs. The east got a lot worse this offseason. Atlanta, Indy, and Chicago are all out. That's three spots up for grabs. Figure Miami gets one. That's two spots among Bk, Phi, NY, Orl, Cha, Det. Who of the other 5 are demonstrably better than us? Maybe Detroit adding Bradley? 8th seed isn't out of the question with Melo, which is why we need him gone, and get Frank in the starting role sooner rather than later.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,447

Post#16 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Aug 9, 2017 5:16 pm

The east is bad so I would not count any team out.

No PG, bad defense...most likely we will be bad again
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
DaKnicksAreBack
Analyst
And1: 1,785

Post#17 » by DaKnicksAreBack » Wed Aug 9, 2017 5:16 pm

I think whether we make the playoffs or not will be determined more by what Tim and KP can produce for us. Melo fell off a lot last year.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 47,893

Post#18 » by DOT » Wed Aug 9, 2017 5:16 pm

No
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Savageknick2190
Senior
And1: 138

Post#19 » by Savageknick2190 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 5:18 pm

Kristaps6_NYK wrote:
Added youth and legit scoring options, got rid of DRose and the triangle. Could be a 45 win team imo..

Stop smoking that good stuff. The Knicks are mediocre with Carmelo and will fall outside the playoffs by a couple of games if he stays. If he is gone then the team will be in the top five of the lottery with a very good shot at number 1
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach

Post#20 » by NYKHardKnock » Wed Aug 9, 2017 5:21 pm

Savageknick2190 wrote:
Kristaps6_NYK wrote:

Stop smoking that good stuff. The Knicks are mediocre with Carmelo and will fall outside the playoffs by a couple of games if he stays. If he is gone then the team will be in the top five of the lottery with a very good shot at number 1
You do realize how bad the east is right?

Return to New York Knicks