ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Yankees Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#4881 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:55 am

CC's knee is going to get in the way of a one year deal worth $15M.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,158

Post#4882 » by Knickfan1982 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:40 pm

Mecca wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:
Mecca wrote:
It's actually the opposite. Judge can't hit the high fastball. The broadcasters were talking about it last night.

Then I respectfully disagree. I've watched this guy at the park at least 8 times muscle out of the park high fastballs that he had no business belting home runs but let's be fair...

Link: http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/yankees/post/_/id/96917/inside-the-struggle-how-mlb-has-caught-up-to-aaron-judge

Go to the location of the slider. He's had difficulty locating the slider BUT notice since the second half began, it's a steady diet of sliders DOWN and AWAY.

Sure, the out pitches may be more often upstairs but STILL on the outer half...and when you have a big man like Judge thinking, "I'm 0-2 I gotta protect my strike zone..." You can expand your repertoire because you have him on the defensive.

CC's knee gives Montgomery maybe another start?

Go look up his hit/strikeout chart the last month. All are fastballs upstairs. Kay and Cone said it last night. You're wrong

Just want to make sure you didn't ignore the last part of his post. He acknowledged the impact of high fastballs.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#4883 » by Mecca » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:27 pm

Knickfan1982 wrote:
Mecca wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:
Then I respectfully disagree. I've watched this guy at the park at least 8 times muscle out of the park high fastballs that he had no business belting home runs but let's be fair...

Link: http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/yankees/post/_/id/96917/inside-the-struggle-how-mlb-has-caught-up-to-aaron-judge

Go to the location of the slider. He's had difficulty locating the slider BUT notice since the second half began, it's a steady diet of sliders DOWN and AWAY.

Sure, the out pitches may be more often upstairs but STILL on the outer half...and when you have a big man like Judge thinking, "I'm 0-2 I gotta protect my strike zone..." You can expand your repertoire because you have him on the defensive.

CC's knee gives Montgomery maybe another start?

Go look up his hit/strikeout chart the last month. All are fastballs upstairs. Kay and Cone said it last night. You're wrong

Just want to make sure you didn't ignore the last part of his post. He acknowledged the impact of high fastballs.

Yeah, it was still wrong. Judge is still working counts, drawing walks, and getting more 3-2 counts than practically anyone in baseball. The high fastball has been his issue which was Winfield's as well if I recall.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,158

Post#4884 » by Knickfan1982 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:53 pm

Mecca wrote:
Knickfan1982 wrote:
Mecca wrote:

Yeah, it was still wrong. Judge is still working counts, drawing walks, and getting more 3-2 counts than practically anyone in baseball. The high fastball has been his issue which was Winfield's as well if I recall.

But he's not getting hits and striking out more than he was previously because he's being pitched differently. Sure, many of the strikeouts came from a high fastball but there are a whole sequence of pitches that come before. He's not only getting thrown high fastballs and so saying he can't hit high fastballs isn't enough to explain his struggles.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,313

Post#4885 » by duetta » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:30 pm

He was always streaky in the minors. He's just not making contact as of late.

Even though his numbers since the All-Star break have been horrid, he's looks like a much a better hitter than he did last season. But it's almost as if he's not seeing the ball properly.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,154

Post#4886 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:40 pm

duetta wrote:He was always streaky in the minors. He's just not making contact as of late.

Even though his numbers since the All-Star break have been horrid, he's looks like a much a better hitter than he did last season. But it's almost as if he's not seeing the ball properly.

I figure it's the power hitter thing. Remember prime George Foster? (The Reds version, not the Mets). He'd wreak havoc for a few months but would have a horrible month in the season, or a like two two week cold spells were he couldn't hit anything. Winfield would get that way, but Foster seemed really pronounced, in my memory, where he'd completely carry a team for weeks, then be equally useless for several weeks.
Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,364

Post#4887 » by Polk377 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:44 pm

Is this Clint Frazier oblique strain a made up injury so Hicks can be reactivated and not be sent down? Seems kind of convenient.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#4888 » by Mecca » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:04 pm

Knickfan1982 wrote:
Mecca wrote:
Knickfan1982 wrote:

But he's not getting hits and striking out more than he was previously because he's being pitched differently. Sure, many of the strikeouts came from a high fastball but there are a whole sequence of pitches that come before. He's not only getting thrown high fastballs and so saying he can't hit high fastballs isn't enough to explain his struggles.

Obviously not. But his out pitch has been the high fastball. Teams early on were scared to throw it to him, but now figuring out it's a weak spot. Other then that he's getting more breaking balls outside the zone.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,401

Post#4889 » by BadNewsBarnes » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:50 pm

Why can't we get a pitcher who can field their position...jeez....?

Bettances, Mitchell, Gray...if I had a Strat-O-Matic game, they all would be "4" fielders.
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
bishnykfan
Knicks Forum Game Commish
And1: 13,599

Post#4890 » by bishnykfan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:59 pm

Polk377 wrote:Is this Clint Frazier oblique strain a made up injury so Hicks can be reactivated and not be sent down? Seems kind of convenient.

He hurt himself swinging in batting practice last night. They showed it during the game, he felt it right away and was scratched last night. With a young player like Frazier, I'm sure they would much rather him be playing in the minors then sitting on the DL with a made up injury.
All-Time Draft

PG- Oscar Robertson/Bob Cousy
SG- Earl Monroe/James Harden/Dana Barros
SF- Billy Cunningham/Michael Finley/Chet Walker
PF- Elvin Hayes/Dolph Schayes/Tom Chambers/Danny Manning
C- Walt Bellamy/Neil Johnston/Darryl Dawkins
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#4891 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:41 am

Sonny Gray losing another game, not off to his best start after the trade.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,154

Post#4892 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:51 am

VirginiaKnickFan wrote:Sonny Gray losing another game, not off to his best start after the trade.

The hitting sucks and has for 30 games
blue and orange
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,003

Post#4893 » by blue and orange » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:51 am

VirginiaKnickFan wrote:Sonny Gray losing another game, not off to his best start after the trade.

Doesn't matter much with this lineup if 6 innings 3 runs is a bad start for him well take it.
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#4894 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:07 am

thebuzzardman wrote:

The hitting sucks and has for 30 games

That is true, no run support.
Jstarks3
General Manager
And1: 740

Post#4895 » by Jstarks3 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:48 am

we are such garbage. id be surprised if we make the playoffs.
by IllmaticHandler

I just got off the Phone with NAS. He said if you listen closely to the intro he not saying **** Jayz. He knew one day a cat name Joey would play himself on realgm. Ether was meant to be used in the future. :o
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#4896 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:00 am

I give Cashman all the credit for this World Series contend-ah that he built!
Polk377
General Manager

Post#4897 » by Polk377 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:08 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:I give Cashman all the credit for this World Series contend-ah that he built!

:crazy: :nonono:

It wasn't built for this year. What about that do you not get man?
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#4898 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:32 am

Polk377 wrote: :crazy: :nonono:

That's why he gave up #3rd best prospect for a free swinging FA 3rd baseman, 2 relievers...cause it's about next few seasons right?

I'm being facetious of course.

Hey if Cashman is given all the kudos, he deserves a share of the blame when he team struggles. Blame cuts both ways.

Listen, the 2017 New York Yankees have the most expensive pen in the history of baseball. The KC Royals formula works but I've said this over and over, the Royals had the line up built for close games. This Yankee team is below .500 in close games. They are at least 2-3 seasons from becoming a contender despite ESPN and NY Media talking it up.

Speaking of the Royals, the Yanks are NOT a lock for the Wild Card. They are even money to lose the wild card, which the media will go with fire Girardi.
Polk377
General Manager

Post#4899 » by Polk377 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:24 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:
Polk377 wrote: :crazy: :nonono:

That's why he gave up #3rd best prospect for a free swinging FA 3rd baseman, 2 relievers...cause it's about next few seasons right?

I'm being facetious of course.

Hey if Cashman is given all the kudos, he deserves a share of the blame when he team struggles. Blame cuts both ways.

Listen, the 2017 New York Yankees have the most expensive pen in the history of baseball. The KC Royals formula works but I've said this over and over, the Royals had the line up built for close games. This Yankee team is below .500 in close games. They are at least 2-3 seasons from becoming a contender despite ESPN and NY Media talking it up.

Speaking of the Royals, the Yanks are NOT a lock for the Wild Card. They are even money to lose the wild card, which the media will go with fire Girardi.

Yes Cashman tried to put together a team to compete this year but this is just the start for this team. Judge and Sanchez are playing in their first full season. They are going through struggles that are expected. The Yankees have really struggled with injuries. Castro, Hicks, Pineda, Holliday, Sabathia, Austin and Ellsbury have all missed significant time this season. They showed what they could do at full strength in the first couple of months. They still have a month to get things together with big games against Boston. I am not throwing in the towel on this team yet.
blue and orange
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,003

Post#4900 » by blue and orange » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:00 pm

The moves were built for this year obviously but they weren't end all be all moves, Gray is under contract for the next 2 years at 7 mill per year, thats a steal considering Cashman is trying to get under the tax threshold, no way will you be able to sign a pitcher in the open market fro 7 mill, dont forget 63 mill is coming off the payroll after this season including the ARod contract.

Return to New York Knicks