ImageImageImageImageImage

2018 Draft Thread (UPDATED POLL)

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Who ya wanna tank for?

Luka Doncic
54%
Marvin Bagley
11%
Michael Porter Jr
23%
Mohamed Bamba
3%
DeAndre Ayton
3%
Hamidou Diallo
1%
Kevin Knox
2%
Colin Sexton
1%
Miles Bridges
2%
Isaac Bonga
2%

Total votes: 171

Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Re: 2018 Draft Thread 

Post#441 » by Rasho Brezec » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:05 pm

Luka's number is 7. It was destined to be. GTFO already Melo.
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,325

Post#442 » by Worst_to_First » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:50 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:Luka's number is 7. It was destined to be. GTFO already Melo.

Hypothetically, if we miss out on Luka and a team offers him to us in a straight up trade for KP. Is this something that we should seriously consider?
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,609

Post#443 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:54 pm

Worst_to_First wrote:
Rasho Brezec wrote:Luka's number is 7. It was destined to be. GTFO already Melo.

Hypothetically, if we miss out on Luka and a team offers him to us in a straight up trade for KP. Is this something that we should seriously consider?

nah
i'd just draft ayton and call it a day 8-)
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,663

Post#444 » by Fat » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:02 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
Worst_to_First wrote:

nah

i still dont get what kp is going forward is he our power forward or center. Youd still want to take ayton regardless if he's bpa but the knicks need to start figuring out kp's position. At 7'3 he should be playing center but we seem to keep him at power forward
Miami Heat Baf

Fultz | NAW
Mitchell | Grimes
Trent Jr | DFS
Al Horford | Covington
Adams | Achiuwa
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 47,893

Post#445 » by DOT » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:02 am

Nyk_Fatboy wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Worst_to_First wrote:

nah

i still dont get what kp is going forward is he our power forward or center. Youd still want to take ayton regardless if he's bpa but the knicks need to start figuring out kp's position. At 7'3 he should be playing center but we seem to keep him at power forward

Traditional labels like PF and C don't really mean much now

We could list KP as our C and Willy as our PF, and it wouldn't change much

Channing Frye was listed as a PF in 2014 (Jeff's best year in Phoenix), and he played 2/3rds of his time at center

KP will probably start games at PF with Willy, but this year should see around 1/3 of his minutes at center, as he isn't strong enough yet to hold his position to secure rebounds, which is his main defensive fault if we play him at center

Long term, it depends on who we draft and how Willy develops, but I wouldn't be surprised if KP is listed as a PF for most of his career, but he will see time at C depending on the matchup
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#446 » by 3toheadmelo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:05 am

Nyk_Fatboy wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Worst_to_First wrote:

nah

id just take ayton and figure it out from there tbh
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Fat
RealGM

Post#447 » by Fat » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:38 am

K-DOT wrote:
Nyk_Fatboy wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:nah

Channing Frye was listed as a PF in 2014 (Jeff's best year in Phoenix), and he played 2/3rds of his time at center

KP will probably start games at PF with Willy, but this year should see around 1/3 of his minutes at center, as he isn't strong enough yet to hold his position to secure rebounds, which is his main defensive fault if we play him at center

Long term, it depends on who we draft and how Willy develops, but I wouldn't be surprised if KP is listed as a PF for most of his career, but he will see time at C depending on the matchup

offensively their fine but i cringe everytime i see kp out trying to defend the perimeter when he is our best rim protector and tallest guy on the floor. ideally id pair kp with a bruiser type pf/center that can defend and hit a midrange and bring willy off the bench. someone like robert williams would be ideal or even bridges who would be undersized but can hold his own at the 4
Miami Heat Baf

Fultz | NAW
Mitchell | Grimes
Trent Jr | DFS
Al Horford | Covington
Adams | Achiuwa
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 47,893

Post#448 » by DOT » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:52 am

Nyk_Fatboy wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
Nyk_Fatboy wrote:

offensively their fine but i cringe everytime i see kp out trying to defend the perimeter when he is our best rim protector and tallest guy on the floor. ideally id pair kp with a bruiser type pf/center that can defend and hit a midrange and bring willy off the bench. someone like robert williams would be ideal or even bridges who would be undersized but can hold his own at the 4.

If we're playing KP with a bruiser 4 that doesn't have much range, what's the difference between listing KP as a 5 and him as a 4?

Defensively, we're gonna want the bruiser in closer, as he'll be able to get rebounds and box out, which you can't do from the perimiter, and offensively they're just gonna put the 4 on KP and the 5 on the other, cause the 4 will be able to keep up with him better laterally, meaning that the opponent's rim protector will still be under the basket instead of guarding the perimiter, limiting KP's biggest advantage playing the 5. Plus, KP is still a bad screener, and if we plan on running lots of PnRs and rely on KP to set most of the screens, our ball handlers are gonna have a rough time

Right now, our defense actually suffers more with KP at C than at PF, because while he is an elite rim protector, he's still foul prone and can't get boards. That's not to say that he won't be a C long term, or that he shouldn't play C at all this year, but that he's still in between a 4 and a 5 right now. Plus, Willy needs to get minutes.

Bottom line is KP has to get stronger. He needs to be able to defensively get rebounds in order to maximize his rim protection, as well as be strong enough that he can post up smaller tweener 4s which means they'll have to put 5s on him

I like Bridges right now if we land at around 6 in the draft, he gives us flexibility to go big with him at the 3, KP at the 4, and Willy at the 5, or go small with him and KP as our 4/5. I imagine Frank/THJ/Lee/Bridges/KP would be pretty good, cause 1-4 are all around 6-5 and can switch easily, and by year 4 KP should be able to hold his own down low, and be an elite rim protector.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Fat
RealGM

Post#449 » by Fat » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:20 am

K-DOT wrote:
Nyk_Fatboy wrote:
K-DOT wrote:Traditional labels like PF and C don't really mean much now

offensively their fine but i cringe everytime i see kp out trying to defend the perimeter when he is our best rim protector and tallest guy on the floor. ideally id pair kp with a bruiser type pf/center that can defend and hit a midrange and bring willy off the bench. someone like robert williams would be ideal or even bridges who would be undersized but can hold his own at the 4.

If we're playing KP with a bruiser 4 that doesn't have much range, what's the difference between listing KP as a 5 and him as a 4?

Defensively, we're gonna want the bruiser in closer, as he'll be able to get rebounds and box out, which you can't do from the perimiter, and offensively they're just gonna put the 4 on KP and the 5 on the other, cause the 4 will be able to keep up with him better laterally, meaning that the opponent's rim protector will still be under the basket instead of guarding the perimiter, limiting KP's biggest advantage playing the 5. Plus, KP is still a bad screener, and if we plan on running lots of PnRs and rely on KP to set most of the screens, our ball handlers are gonna have a rough time

Right now, our defense actually suffers more with KP at C than at PF, because while he is an elite rim protector, he's still foul prone and can't get boards. That's not to say that he won't be a C long term, or that he shouldn't play C at all this year, but that he's still in between a 4 and a 5 right now. Plus, Willy needs to get minutes.

Bottom line is KP has to get stronger. He needs to be able to defensively get rebounds in order to maximize his rim protection, as well as be strong enough that he can post up smaller tweener 4s which means they'll have to put 5s on him

I like Bridges right now if we land at around 6 in the draft, he gives us flexibility to go big with him at the 3, KP at the 4, and Willy at the 5, or go small with him and KP as our 4/5. I imagine Frank/THJ/Lee/Bridges/KP would be pretty good, cause 1-4 are all around 6-5 and can switch easily, and by year 4 KP should be able to hold his own down low, and be an elite rim protector.

you can be a bruiser 4 and still defend you respective position + provide toughness around the rim

KP is a good defender but he doesn't provide that grit and toughness around the rim, he's intimidating in size and great shot blocker you should always want him as your rim protector. KP is 7'3 and in his 3rd season he should be able to grab a rebound and boxout by now or at least understand positioning and timing. someone like a zach randolph type would be a great compliment next to kp a natural 4 bruiser with toughness and can space the floor and pick up any slack in rebounding. Marc gasol is a great defender himself but prime z-bo elevated that defensive aura with his physicality on the boards and with his toughness thats what im trying to get at

say were not in position for one of those top lottery guys i think Robert williams would be a nice consolation prize as someone you can place next to kp longterm at power forward. frank/robert/porzingis is the blue print for a lengthy, defensive built team.
Miami Heat Baf

Fultz | NAW
Mitchell | Grimes
Trent Jr | DFS
Al Horford | Covington
Adams | Achiuwa
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#450 » by 3toheadmelo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:24 am

bruh.....
bridges is nice but he's not the guy we need. same for robert williams

fam this team lacks an alpha scorer

even if we do miss out on the big prospects, you get someone that has the potential to be a big time scorer

give me knox, brown jr, hami, sexton, hell even duval if he fixes that jump shot

bridges has no business being a knick, im sorry

i want someone that can say "give me the ball and GTFO the way when it's crunch time". we ain't got anyone that can do that.
Fat
RealGM

Post#451 » by Fat » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:38 am

3toheadmelo wrote:bruh.....

even if we do miss out on the big prospects, you get someone that has the potential to be a big time scorer

give me knox, brown jr, hami, sexton, hell even duval if he fixes that jump shot

i want someone that can say "give me the ball and GTFO the way when it's crunch time". we ain't got anyone that can do that.

we got kp and hardaway :D, the closes to what your describing though is probably sexton i like him too if were going that route, that would be my first choice thats his identity and how he plays already. The rest of those guys are more wait and see

duval is a true point not really an alpha big time scorer, hami doubt it, dont know much about troy, and knox maybe.
Miami Heat Baf

Fultz | NAW
Mitchell | Grimes
Trent Jr | DFS
Al Horford | Covington
Adams | Achiuwa
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#452 » by 3toheadmelo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:18 pm

Nyk_Fatboy wrote:

we got kp and hardaway :D, the closes to what your describing though is probably sexton i like him too if were going that route, that would be my first choice thats his identity and how he plays already. The rest of those guys are more wait and see

duval is a true point not really an alpha big time scorer, hami doubt it, dont know much about troy, and knox maybe.

we need a guy that can be the #1 option on offense, KP and timmy aren't those guys man. KP is more like a 2nd, 3rd option. timmy is more of a 3rd and 4th option for sure.
i really think hami is gonna be a damn good scoring option. he has a nice high release on jumper with a good handle. i like the way he moves
duval got dumb nice handles. he may not be a big time scorer but he can at least facilitate a whole offense. troy brown can facilitate an offense too but i see his potential scoring wise. he's gonna be a top 10 pick for sure.
knox is the guy who has the most potential, scoring wise. he's huge, jump shot is lookin better, nice handles too.

bridges doesn't really offer much for us on offense. same for robert williams. bridges would fit better on a team like the heat or something. if we drafted him here we would be askin him to do more on offense like we did for shumpert, jr, etc and we all know how that turned out. we would just be wastin his talent here. robert williams just looks like a nerlens noel type of player at this point. we don't need that. we need play makers, scorers at this point
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 15,967

Post#453 » by Wolfgang630 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:29 pm

Melo fans still pushing KP isn't a #1 option. Bizzaro world
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#454 » by 3toheadmelo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:33 pm

Wolfgang630 wrote:Melo fans still pushing KP isn't a #1 option. Bizzaro world

lol "melo fans"

i guess you a KP fan boy then.

there's plenty of people on this board who don't even like melo and agree that KP isn't a #1 option. it's not rocket science.
KP can't even post up a point guard bruh. you want that as your 1st option? lol
RealGM
And1: 39,071

Post#455 » by 2010 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:39 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
Nyk_Fatboy wrote:

we need a guy that can be the #1 option on offense, KP and timmy aren't those guys man. KP is more like a 2nd, 3rd option. timmy is more of a 3rd and 4th option for sure.
i really think hami is gonna be a damn good scoring option. he has a nice high release on jumper with a good handle. i like the way he moves
duval got dumb nice handles. he may not be a big time scorer but he can at least facilitate a whole offense. troy brown can facilitate an offense too but i see his potential scoring wise. he's gonna be a top 10 pick for sure.
knox is the guy who has the most potential, scoring wise. he's huge, jump shot is lookin better, nice handles too.

bridges doesn't really offer much for us on offense. same for robert williams. bridges would fit better on a team like the heat or something. if we drafted him here we would be askin him to do more on offense like we did for shumpert, jr, etc and we all know how that turned out. we would just be wastin his talent here. robert williams just looks like a nerlens noel type of player at this point. we don't need that. we need play makers, scorers at this point

8-)

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,981

Post#456 » by Capn'O » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:43 pm

"KP. It's me. 7uka."
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#457 » by IllmaticHandler » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:12 pm

Capn'O wrote:

"KP. It's me. 7uka."

THE 7uka??????
RealGM
And1: 39,071

Post#458 » by 2010 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:14 pm

Capn'O wrote:

"KP. It's me. 7uka."

"This is 7uka" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 42,990

Post#459 » by DaGawd » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:47 pm

For a guy who isn't a number 1 scoring option to average 18 ppg last season as arguably the 3rd option is pretty damn good... I think KP's potential to be the primary go to scorer is really underrated
BaF
Washington Wizards
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#460 » by IllmaticHandler » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:20 pm

DaGawd wrote:For a guy who isn't a number 1 scoring option to average 18 ppg last season as arguably the 3rd option is pretty damn good... I think KP's potential to be the primary go to scorer is really underrated

Thats the reason why he was able to score 18 a game.The attention was not on him like that. So he is not underrated in potential as the primary Guy as KP has not faced #1 scorer defense all season long and the verdict is still out on how good he can be as lead Dog in his third year. KP being the go to scorer and getting full attention of a defense that number can easily dip. Its not the same ball game when all eyes are on you.

Return to New York Knicks