ImageImageImageImageImage

Rumor: Warriors to Pursue Paul George

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,349

Re: Rumor: Warriors to Pursue Paul George 

Post#21 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:38 pm

Russel Westbrook would be great in a Jason Terry/Jamal Crawford sixth man role.

Just sayin'
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#22 » by and1GS » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:23 am

hamncheese wrote:So Kawakami and Thompson leave the Bay Area New Group to head up the SF branch of the Athletic, a pay subscription service. Write an article on how the Warriors are interested in PG but have no idea as to how that is possible. I think somehow these two things are related.

LOL I thought the same when I saw Kawakami was quoted.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Rudruff
Junior
And1: 120

Post#23 » by Rudruff » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:31 am

I prefer to think of this as the front office playing chess. This is the Warriors telling any elite UFA's thinking of getting together to check in with Myers before taking a low-ball offer somewhere else.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,769

Post#24 » by michaelm » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:31 am

Warriorfan wrote:
Andre Roberstan wrote:Only way it happens is if PG13 pulls a CP3 and opts in to his PO to be traded. He's not signing for vet min, he's not signing for MLE, and sign and trade would leave the Dubs over the apron.

I have feelings about this, mostly involving the words "no" and "screw those guys". But we'll see.

EDIT: I'm presuming the point of him going for this now is that he'd be trying to pull it off without using Klay (since he didn't want to do it when the Klay for PG13 idea was circulating).

As far as salary matching, it'd fall under the 125% of salary trade matching rule. So here are some salary combos that don't include Klay that would get it done:

Iggy/Livingston
Iggy/Swaggy
Iggy/Zaza
Liv/Swaggy/Zaza

(EDIT: also Iggy+any minimum, so Jones, Looney or Bell)

As far as assets to send in return, GSW couldn't use McCaw because he's expiring. They could send Bell. They have all their (garbage) firsts.

I hate all of this.

Iggy and Livingston being shipped out would need the blessings of the KD and Curry.
Maybe behind closed doors PG is saying I would not resign with you and want to play in CA.

I don't find Kawakami and Thompson to be rumor mongers without a credible foundation.

They are now free agents themselves trying to start up a money making website. I find them indulging in baseless rumour mongering/speculation an entirely reasonable hypothesis.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,769

Post#25 » by michaelm » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:37 am

Andre Roberstan wrote:Only way it happens is if PG13 pulls a CP3 and opts in to his PO to be traded. He's not signing for vet min, he's not signing for MLE, and sign and trade would leave the Dubs over the apron.

I have feelings about this, mostly involving the words "no" and "screw those guys". But we'll see.

EDIT: I'm presuming the point of him going for this now is that he'd be trying to pull it off without using Klay (since he didn't want to do it when the Klay for PG13 idea was circulating).

As far as salary matching, it'd fall under the 125% of salary trade matching rule. So here are some salary combos that don't include Klay that would get it done:

Iggy/Livingston
Iggy/Swaggy
Iggy/Zaza
Liv/Swaggy/Zaza

As far as assets to send in return, GSW couldn't use McCaw because he's expiring. They could send Bell. They have all their (garbage) firsts.

I hate all of this.

It would be too much for me, particularly if it involved trading Klay unwillingly, and I agree with others that it is doubtful he would be a good fit/actually strengthen the team.

I thought the KD FA signing was reasonable eventually, doubtless from a different perspective than you, but not this, although it is based on the merest of speculation in any case.
FrigginFalcon
Junior
And1: 115

Post#26 » by FrigginFalcon » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:43 am

One useful form of "Occam's Razor" is that you rarely need to resort to complexity or subtlety to explain anything that can more simply be explained by greed, vanity, or stupidity.

(e.g., anything Donald Trump or his alt-right band of kleptocrats does)
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,684

Post#27 » by Warriorfan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:09 pm

Every team probably has a plan layed should a top free agent show interest.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#28 » by Mylie10 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:42 pm

michaelm wrote:
Warriorfan wrote:

Iggy/Livingston
Iggy/Swaggy
Iggy/Zaza
Liv/Swaggy/Zaza

I hate all of this.

Iggy and Livingston being shipped out would need the blessings of the KD and Curry.
Maybe behind closed doors PG is saying I would not resign with you and want to play in CA.

I don't find Kawakami and Thompson to be rumor mongers without a credible foundation.

They are now free agents themselves trying to start up a money making website. I find them indulging in baseless rumour mongering/speculation an entirely reasonable hypothesis.

Over the years both Marcus Thompson and Kawakami have done some good reporting. But too often both have been involved in agenda reporting. That's a real turnoff to me. And in this case, its just down right lame, and if anything, would cause some of the guys on the current roster to question whether or not any of this has any merit. It doesn't really serve anyone well.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#29 » by turk3d » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:42 pm

Just poking around the GB and saw something that I thought worth mentioning in this thread. A few (non-Dubs fans) that OKC (rather than having George walk on them) might be willing to accept a package of Iggy, McCaw and a 1st which I found quite surprising. How many would do that deal? I'm not sure but maybe signing Iggy to that somewhat inflated deal, might us in a position to make that trade, cap wise? Myers, your a genius once more.

If something along those lines were done, would PG even start (assuming we still had Steph, KD, Klay and Ray)? I guess we'd be playing without a center. And if that would turn out to be the case perhaps is is what Kerr prefers anyway? A lot of crzy stuff going this offseason isn't it?
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
BW32
Lead Assistant
And1: 761

Post#30 » by BW32 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:59 pm

We can't sign and trade Pat before George has to decide on his option, it would basically take complete trust in the Thunder to make that deal, not only that but they are not allowed to negotiate terms with Pat at that point either.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#31 » by Andre Roberstan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:22 am

BW32 wrote:We can't sign and trade Pat before George has to decide on his option, it would basically take complete trust in the Thunder to make that deal, not only that but they are not allowed to negotiate terms with Pat at that point either.

Not only that, but the Thunder would be hard capped at the apron. That's a big problem cause not everybody has three core players on below-market deals 8-)
FrigginFalcon
Junior
And1: 115

Post#32 » by FrigginFalcon » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:31 am

I honestly don't understand the point of trading away both current and future assets to obtain yet another all-star to shore-up a team with 4 bona-fide all stars already, including two recent MVP winners, a DPOY, and one of the top two-way guards in the League. We have all the tools we need to beat any team in NBA history, let alone the lesser teams we'll be required to face this year.

Meanwhile, I see Iggy as a key part of the success we've had these past 3 seasons, McCaw as the most promising young player we have that has actually played in NBA games, and a first-round pick as a shot to add another young contributor.

For me, the Warriors Dynasty "failure modes" fall into 4 categories:

1. Extremely serious or unusually frequent injuries knock too many key players off the roster, especially at Playoff time
2. The salary-cap rules or the total price tag at some point forces us to give up one or more key contributors
3. We cannot fill in behind our current stars, who are in their prime / middle years, as they grow older, and behind our current key bench players, who are as a group are relatively old.
4. Someone else builds a Super Team to compete at the Dubs' current level

So, if I compare Paul George vs. Iggy + McCaw + 2018 #1 pick:

1. Negative. We trade one guy who DOES provide key minutes plus another who CAN provide key minutes for one guy. Injury(ies) leave our true bench shorter after the trade than before.
2. Push. George is probably a 1-year deal, so situation is no different when KD, Klay & Dray need new contracts.
3. Negative, because it takes McCaw and the #1 pick out of the picture for future youth
4. Push. George will still be free to JOIN such a Super Team after this coming Season is over.

All this assumes a 1-year deal. If it's multi-year, then it helps with #4 but just makes 2 & 3 worse.

This year, in the absence of bad luck, all the George for (Iggy + McCaw + #1 Pick) Deal does, to use a military analogy, is to "make the rubble bounce." We easily outclass every team in the League for 2017-18 without him. If we DO have bad luck, injury-wise, he might help us retain a little more "star power," but he costs us TWO players who do/can provide key minutes.

In future years, he'll either be gone, along with Iggy, McCaw, and a #1 pick, or he'll still be around, complicating what will already be a tricky, expensive dance through the salary-cap minefield.

IMHO, Warriors FO has played this Summer's FA market MASTERFULLY. I see no reason to mess with it. In their shoes, the only thing that could POSSIBLY tempt me would be a truly elite, defensively-oriented Center . . . say, Rudy Gobert. But we are already completely stacked with perimeter threats and flexible guard / forward players, the returning core of a harmonious, effective squad that easily took best regular-season record and then went 16-1 in the Playoffs, PLUS some very promising additions in Young, Casspi, and Bell.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#33 » by turk3d » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:31 pm

+1. Excellent post. The only factor that maybe should be considered is the uncertainty regarding Klay the following year when he'll be eligible for a max deal and may decide to move on. Nobody really knows how that's going to turn out
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#34 » by East Bay Sports » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:33 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:Russel Westbrook would be great in a Jason Terry/Jamal Crawford sixth man role.

Just sayin'

He doesn't have the mentality to accept that. He would have 0 morale and -8 attribute points 2k style real quick.
Warriorfan
RealGM

Post#35 » by Warriorfan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:51 pm

Interesting take I heard on Bay Area sports radio
PG though a top 20 player he is not worth the warriors trading for since they already have quality wings.

Cousins and AD or Towns are better free agent targets.
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#36 » by Quazza » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:17 am

Warriorfan wrote:Interesting take I heard on Bay Area sports radio
PG though a top 20 player he is not worth the warriors trading for since they already have quality wings.

imagine AD on this team......

:lol:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
BW32
Lead Assistant
And1: 761

Post#37 » by BW32 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:29 am

AD is not a free agent, he has an option in 2020.

Just noticed Towns name there too, you basically own a player for atleast 7 years more likely 9 when you draft him, he isn't going anywhere for a long time.
Warriorfan
RealGM

Post#38 » by Warriorfan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:48 am

BW32 wrote:

AD is not a free agent, he has an option in 2020.

Just noticed Towns name there too, you basically own a player for atleast 7 years more likely 9 when you draft him, he isn't going anywhere for a long time.

Yes I know AD and Towns are not free agents next year but warriors management tends to prepare years in advance.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#39 » by Mylie10 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:00 pm

Deandre Jordan could be a target again down the road.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
SFrush
Sixth Man
And1: 778

Post#40 » by SFrush » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:22 pm

Mylie10 wrote:Deandre Jordan could be a target again down the road.

Sign and Trades being taken off the table take away a lot of our flexibility for these types of acquisitions.

Return to Golden State Warriors