ImageImageImageImageImage

Eurobasket 2017 thread (KP-Latvia, Willy-Spain and Kuz-Lithuania).

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,903

Re: Eurobasket 2017 thread (KP-Latvia, Willy-Spain and Kuz-Lithuania). 

Post#221 » by GONYK » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:49 pm

BKlutch wrote:
j4remi wrote:24 points (9/20) 12 rebs 2 steals 2 blocks in 27 minutes. +21 for those who like that ish.

The good:
- KP is getting a ton of practice being the screen man and the offense looked much more fluid running through his screen play.
- No fear shooting from him, hopefully he has the same aggressiveness with better teammates.
- Interior presence all night, coulda had more help blocks if there weren't foul calls on the main defenders.
- Made some heady kickouts to open men, but no one converted. Still good to see his head is up and on a swivel.
- Dude barely had to dribble but in one sequence he couldn't establish low post position, so he ran out to receive the ball. He turned, faced up and hit a hard cross-over to get himself to that deep post spot then proceeded to post his man up, bait the man in the air with a pump fake and sunk the close up shot off the glass. Great sequence all around. He showed ball handling, post play and soft touch to boot (his touch around the rack was strong all game).

The Bad:
- 4/8 from Ft line.
- 1/7 from the three point line.
- Was gangbusters early but his jumper got less consistent with fatigue, though he did turn in a massively clutch (both ends) last two mins when the game tied up.
- Not an insult to him, but he was getting so many easy looks that he rarely had to flash the depths of his game. So not a knock, but I wish he had more situations to get creative like the above post-up.

No need to worry about his FTs, but I do worry about him making his 3's at a good %. Overall, I'm pleased he was such a game changer. He really disrupted Poland's offense. I also worry that he consistently seems to be tired in the late 3rd and 4th quarter of games, but it wasn't that serious an effect this time.

I would worry about FT's. KP dropped 5% from his rookie year to his 2nd year from the line with basically the same attempts.

Kind of inexplicable
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#222 » by reub » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:49 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:KP baseline baby hook!

This is the shot that KP needs to add. I actually sent him a video of Kareem's many baby hooks last season to show him how a tall, skinny guy can do so much damage on the inside instead of having to dribble through defenders at his height and weight. A sky hook would be unstoppable.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#223 » by magnumt » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:01 pm

24 Points, 12 Rebounds, 2 Blocks, ONE foul and 2 Steals in JUST 28 Minutes! :o :droop:

Nig*a wasn't even trying too! :D

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
Maury2423
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,543

Post#224 » by Maury2423 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:11 pm

GONYK wrote:
BKlutch wrote:
j4remi wrote:24 points (9/20) 12 rebs 2 steals 2 blocks in 27 minutes. +21 for those who like that ish.

The good:
- KP is getting a ton of practice being the screen man and the offense looked much more fluid running through his screen play.
- No fear shooting from him, hopefully he has the same aggressiveness with better teammates.
- Interior presence all night, coulda had more help blocks if there weren't foul calls on the main defenders.
- Made some heady kickouts to open men, but no one converted. Still good to see his head is up and on a swivel.
- Dude barely had to dribble but in one sequence he couldn't establish low post position, so he ran out to receive the ball. He turned, faced up and hit a hard cross-over to get himself to that deep post spot then proceeded to post his man up, bait the man in the air with a pump fake and sunk the close up shot off the glass. Great sequence all around. He showed ball handling, post play and soft touch to boot (his touch around the rack was strong all game).

The Bad:
- 4/8 from Ft line.
- Was gangbusters early but his jumper got less consistent with fatigue, though he did turn in a massively clutch (both ends) last two mins when the game tied up.
- Not an insult to him, but he was getting so many easy looks that he rarely had to flash the depths of his game. So not a knock, but I wish he had more situations to get creative like the above post-up.

No need to worry about his FTs, but I do worry about him making his 3's at a good %. Overall, I'm pleased he was such a game changer. He really disrupted Poland's offense. I also worry that he consistently seems to be tired in the late 3rd and 4th quarter of games, but it wasn't that serious an effect this time.

I would worry about FT's. KP dropped 5% from his rookie year to his 2nd year from the line with basically the same attempts.

Kind of inexplicable

I've always felt like he rushes his fts. Every time he shoots his ft it looks like he doesn't follow through and he's leaning back
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#225 » by reub » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:11 pm

KP has a decent game against the juggernaut known as Poland and the crowd goes wild!
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,259
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#226 » by BKlutch » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:44 pm

GONYK wrote:
BKlutch wrote:

The good:

The Bad:
- 4/8 from Ft line.

Kind of inexplicable

Yes, inexplicable. We'll have to look to see if there are any factors that could explain it - injuries, fatigue, or he's so old that his eyesight is poor.

I never looked at year to year FT% for other players - I guess there must be some variability, but I don't really know.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

April madness
Senior
And1: 404

Post#227 » by April madness » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:55 pm

reub wrote:KP has a decent game against the juggernaut known as Poland and the crowd goes wild!

And if he didn't you'd say he can't have a good game even against Poland. Can he do anything right in your world?
FreeSpiritNY
Veteran
And1: 1,285

Post#228 » by FreeSpiritNY » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:56 pm

JohnWillow wrote:
Read on Twitter

gave me the chills he looking like a star right here.
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 16,197

Post#229 » by Wolfgang630 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:57 pm

I do notice KP rushes his free throws. He does it a lot. He needs to take his time. Idk why he's in a hurry.
MartinsLusis
Senior
And1: 544

Post#230 » by MartinsLusis » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:07 pm

The good:

The Bad:
- 4/8 from Ft line.

Keep in mind that he's still lifting weights for now. So I wouldn't be too worried about his shot. It will come once he rests his arms a bit.

Also, conditioning will get better once the European Championship begins.
MartinsLusis
Senior

Post#231 » by MartinsLusis » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:19 pm

BKlutch wrote:
MrOrange wrote:
BKlutch wrote:Latvia has under 2 million citizens. Poland has about 38 million. How the heck does Latvia have so many decent players? They have slightly fewer people than Queens, NY.

It is team sport No: 1/2 in Latvia. On par with ice hockey. basketball is more accessible though. Probably most of Latvian families have a hoop in their backyard. Most of the regular kids have played at some sort of organized level up to student years and later for fun.

Who knew? We ought to used KP to scout out a few more decent players for us. I thought Smits #11 played a decent game there. One of their guards was playing poorly, but the other seemed decent. All in all, this is amazing for such a small country.

Rolands Smits #11 should have been drafted tbh. The top Spanish teams are now trying to buy him out.

Janis Timma #10 was drafted by Grizzlies and then traded to Magic. He's very decent, especially on the defensive end, playmaking and hustle plays. Still trying to find his place but will look better. IMO was the best player in the qualification tournament before Rio Olympic games. He will play in Euroleage next year.

Janis Strelnieks #13 is an Euroleague PG, very good. Usually plays better for his club than the national team but I hope that will change.

Davis Bertans #8 plays for the Spurs. Looked totally lost today but will be an important player. Deadeye shooter. Made 39,9% of his 3pt shots this season.

Dairis Bertans #9 - Davis' older brother. Also a very decent player. Plays in Euroleague. Probably would have been signed by Celtics if he hadn't gotten injured on one of the last summer league games 3-4 years ago. He was on fire up until then. His team also played an exhibition game against the 76ers a few years ago and he scored 19 points.

There are also a few very decent role players, 2 of which didn't play today because of minor injuries.

So all in all we have a decent team!
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,146

Post#232 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:20 pm

reub wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:KP baseline baby hook!

This is the shot that KP needs to add. I actually sent him a video of Kareem's many baby hooks last season to show him how a tall, skinny guy can do so much damage on the inside instead of having to dribble through defenders at his height and weight. A sky hook would be unstoppable.

Even if KP got consistent with Eddy Curry's jump hook, it'd be scary.

I think he flashed the baby jump hook the first two seasons. KP actually has a variety of moves, he just needs to polish up those go to moves in the post. And the Skyhook would be incredible.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,146

Post#233 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:23 pm

MartinsLusis wrote:
BKlutch wrote:
MrOrange wrote:It is team sport No: 1/2 in Latvia. On par with ice hockey. basketball is more accessible though. Probably most of Latvian families have a hoop in their backyard. Most of the regular kids have played at some sort of organized level up to student years and later for fun.

Who knew? We ought to used KP to scout out a few more decent players for us. I thought Smits #11 played a decent game there. One of their guards was playing poorly, but the other seemed decent. All in all, this is amazing for such a small country.

Rolands Smits #11 should have been drafted tbh. The top Spanish teams are now trying to buy him out.

Janis Timma #10 was drafted by Grizzlies and then traded to Magic. He's very decent, especially on the defensive end, playmaking and hustle plays. Still trying to find his place but will look better. IMO was the best player in the qualification tournament before Rio Olympic games. He will play in Euroleage next year.

Janis Strelnieks #13 is an Euroleague PG, very good. Usually plays better for his club than the national team but I hope that will change.

Davis Bertans #8 plays for the Spurs. Looked totally lost today but will be an important player. Deadeye shooter. Made 39,9% of his 3pt shots this season.

Dairis Bertans #9 - Davis' older brother. Also a very decent player. Plays in Euroleague. Probably would have been signed by Celtics if he hadn't gotten injured on one of the last summer league games 3-4 years ago. He was on fire up until then. His team also played an exhibition game against the 76ers a few years ago and he scored 19 points.

There are also a few very decent role players, 2 of which didn't play today because of minor injuries.

I saw a Bertrans out there looking good, and I was like "Isn't this guy in the pros?" So I looked up Bertrans, and he's on the Spurs and he's a PF". I was like "Wait, the guy I saw showing guard skills".

Now that's cleared up. Honestly, older Bertrans looks like he could make an NBA roster, even if it's as a backup.
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 16,197

Post#234 » by Wolfgang630 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:26 pm

Someone should tell KP to workout with Kareem lol
ChilledAlex
Sixth Man
And1: 960

Post#235 » by ChilledAlex » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:47 pm

magnumt wrote:

24 Points, 12 Rebounds, 2 Blocks, ONE foul and 2 Steals in JUST 28 Minutes! :o :droop:

Nig*a wasn't even trying too! :D

Yeah he missed some freethrows and wide open 3s too. Could easily had 35points on just his average shooting night
MartinsLusis
Senior

Post#236 » by MartinsLusis » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:50 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
MartinsLusis wrote:
BKlutch wrote:Who knew? We ought to used KP to scout out a few more decent players for us. I thought Smits #11 played a decent game there. One of their guards was playing poorly, but the other seemed decent. All in all, this is amazing for such a small country.

I saw a Bertrans out there looking good, and I was like "Isn't this guy in the pros?" So I looked up Bertrans, and he's on the Spurs and he's a PF". I was like "Wait, the guy I saw showing guard skills".

Now that's cleared up. Honestly, older Bertrans looks like he could make an NBA roster, even if it's as a backup.

I believe he could have, yes. Just didn't have enough luck. If you're not a clear 1st round pick, then luck is very important.

We call him the latvian rocket. He's very explosive, quick drives to the basket.
MartinsLusis
Senior

Post#237 » by MartinsLusis » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:51 pm

Also, it was a special feeling to see KP in person after such long time. He looked super impressive, you could tell that he wasn't even going close to 100%.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#238 » by magnumt » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:08 pm

reub wrote:KP has a decent game against the juggernaut known as Poland and the crowd goes wild!

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=58125992#p58125992

That is NOT just a decent game.

magnumt6
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#239 » by reub » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:45 pm

magnumt wrote:

He was playing against POLAND and shot 9 for 20.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#240 » by magnumt » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:48 pm

reub wrote:
magnumt wrote:

He was playing against POLAND and shot 9 for 20.

That's great you're up to date on your geography. He dominated against weaker competition. LIKE HE SHOULD! Like WINNERS do.

You're just nitpicking for the sake of it. 9-20 is still a good % (45%) with an ARRAY of moves.

magnumt6

Return to New York Knicks