ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Jeter Buys Marlins for $1.2 Billion!

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

OT: Jeter Buys Marlins for $1.2 Billion! 

Post#1 » by magnumt » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:03 pm

Read on Twitter

--Mags :beer:
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Re: OT: Jeter Buys Marlins for $1.2 Billion! 

Post#2 » by Greenie » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:10 pm

That's it?
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,349

Post#3 » by dakomish23 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:18 pm

Greenie wrote:That's it?

Not the response I was expecting from you RE any Jeter news :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#4 » by magnumt » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:12 pm

It's Florida, not exactly LA or NY, so the price wouldn't be very high.

Even then, the Marlins used to be MUCH lower in value and one of the laughing stock "farm" teams of MLB.

BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
battabing10
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#5 » by battabing10 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:23 pm

He's a winner who keeps winning. Props to him.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#6 » by Greenie » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:58 am

dakomish23 wrote:

Not the response I was expecting from you RE any Jeter news :lol:

:lol:
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,259
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#7 » by BKlutch » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:44 pm

magnumt wrote:
Read on Twitter

I always loved Jeter and wish him well in anything he does, but I'm a Yankee fan first, so no World Series rings for you, Jeter.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#8 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:59 pm

I'm happy for Jetes but he overpaid for that dumpster fire organization.
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Post#9 » by earthmansurfer » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:11 pm

BKlutch wrote:
magnumt wrote:
Read on Twitter

I always loved Jeter and wish him well in anything he does, but I'm a Yankee fan first, so no World Series rings for you, Jeter.

Agreed, and to be honest, if you are Jeter and are so tied to Yankee legacy, to buy the Marlins is just weird. It actually doesn't sit well with me from a baseball perspective, but I ain't no business man...
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#10 » by BKlutch » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:14 pm

earthmansurfer wrote:
BKlutch wrote:
magnumt wrote:
Read on Twitter

Agreed, and to be honest, if you are Jeter and are so tied to Yankee legacy, to buy the Marlins is just weird. It actually doesn't sit well with me from a baseball perspective, but I ain't no business man...

This is the first time - ever, in my life, in his career - that I've had mixed feelings about something Jeter has done. (I'm not saying he was the greatest of all time, but I felt he was a great guy.)

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Post#11 » by earthmansurfer » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:27 pm

BKlutch wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:
BKlutch wrote:I always loved Jeter and wish him well in anything he does, but I'm a Yankee fan first, so no World Series rings for you, Jeter.

This is the first time - ever, in my life, in his career - that I've had mixed feelings about something Jeter has done. (I'm not saying he was the greatest of all time, but I felt he was a great guy.)

Yep, it is a load of shizz to say "This is just business." anyway. I mean, how would Marlin fans feel? This is not just business, you have to give your heart. Now, I can somewhat understand being a coach e.g. Mattingly, for another team, but buying a team? Sorry, but this isn't exactly a business to me. I'm not judging Jeter as being a bad guy, it is real clear what is happening, we don't even need to say good or bad, it is just right there...
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#12 » by BKlutch » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:33 pm

earthmansurfer wrote:
BKlutch wrote:
earthmansurfer wrote:

Yep, it is a load of shizz to say "This is just business." anyway. I mean, how would Marlin fans feel? This is not just business, you have to give your heart. Now, I can somewhat understand being a coach e.g. Mattingly, for another team, but buying a team? Sorry, but this isn't exactly a business to me. I'm not judging Jeter as being a bad guy, it is real clear what is happening, we don't even need to say good or bad, it is just right there...

Don Mattingly is still cool around here. We still love Joe Torre. But today is the first time I have doubts about Jeter.

swisscheeseD
NCAA Bracket Challenge Champion
And1: 4,239

Post#13 » by swisscheeseD » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:32 pm

Maybe he's starting small, learning the business, then will make an eventual offer to the Steinbrenner's...

But I agree, Jeter being associated with another franchise just doesn't feel right.
Chicago Bulls

PG: Kemba Walker / T.Rozier / B.Wannamaker
SG: Donte DiVincenzo / T.Ross / P.Connaughton
SF: Kawhi Leonard / R.O’Neale / Caleb Martin
PF: Draymond Green / B.Portis / A.Aminu
C: Jonas Valanciunas / M.Harrell / F.Kaminsky
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#14 » by BKlutch » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:37 pm

swisscheeseD wrote:Maybe he's starting small, learning the business, then will make an eventual offer to the Steinbrenner's...

But I agree, Jeter being associated with another franchise just doesn't feel right.

Jeter obviously doesn't have enough cash to buy the Yankees, and the Steinbrenners don't seem interested in selling. They might have let him buy in as a minority owner (around 5% ?) but I'm sure he wouldn't want that. He wants to run the show, and he's probably going to do a good job.

I don't know if he'll be able to increase the value of the Marlins enough over time to buy the Yankees down the road ... the Yankees' value will also go up over that time, too. So I think we have to get used to him owning a competitor team. Why didn't he buy the Knicks instead?

Sucks big league.

Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#15 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:49 pm

Are you guys, F#ing serious?!?!

Feel different about Jeter just because he bought the Marlins. Guys, Derek Jeter spent most of time in Florida during the off-season. What he does with his money off the field is HIS business.

As previously indicated, the Steinbrenner boys are NOT interested in allowing someone else to own the most iconic sports franchise in America especially as a new era of players are starting to bloom.
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#16 » by BKlutch » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:02 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Are you guys, F#ing serious?!?!

Feel different about Jeter just because he bought the Marlins. Guys, Derek Jeter spent most of time in Florida during the off-season. What he does with his money off the field is HIS business.

As previously indicated, the Steinbrenner boys are NOT interested in allowing someone else to own the most iconic sports franchise in America especially as a new era of players are starting to bloom.

Wait, nobody said they feel differently about how Jeter played, or what he meant to the team. It DOES feel weird seeing "Mr. Yankee" owing a competitor. Again, nobody is saying that's wrong. It's just weird for us fans.

Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#17 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:08 pm

BKlutch wrote:
Wait, nobody said they feel differently about how Jeter played, or what he meant to the team. It DOES feel weird seeing "Mr. Yankee" owing a competitor. Again, nobody is saying that's wrong. It's just weird for us fans.

The Marlins are not a competitor to the Yankees. Now, Jeter lives in Tampa Bay. If he bought the Rays, THEN I see your point.
xNewYorkMadex
General Manager
And1: 5,758

Post#18 » by xNewYorkMadex » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:08 pm

I dont find it weird at all honestly.

We rarely even play the Marlins. It'll be weird if he owned the Mets or Boston. Maybe even any of the AL East teams. Only time it might ever feel strange is if we play the Marlins in the World Series again. And who knows how long that might take.

Good for him, seems like it was a dream of his to own a team. Im assuming hes the majority owner too.
Andrea Bargnani nYk 2013-2015
BKlutch
RealGM

Post#19 » by BKlutch » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:12 pm

xNewYorkMadex wrote:I dont find it weird at all honestly.

We rarely even play the Marlins. It'll be weird if he owned the Mets or Boston. Maybe even any of the AL East teams. Only time it might ever feel strange is if we play the Marlins in the World Series again. And who knows how long that might take.

Good for him, seems like it was a dream of his to own a team. Im assuming hes the majority owner too.

Of course, I'm happy for him. He deserves to enjoy what he does, but I still feel weird. LOL

Jeter is investing $25 M of $1.2 B, and is one of 16 investors. Apparently the major guy is Bruce Sherman, who will be the general managing partner. Jeter will be in charge of baseball operations. Here's a full description of the purchase: http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/derek-jeter-marlins-purchase/2017/08/11/id/807241/

So there's a good chance we'll be hearing from him or about him regarding trades, etc.

Jesus Juice
Bench Warmer
And1: 475

Post#20 » by Jesus Juice » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:46 pm

I would agree that it doesn't sound right having jeter involved in anything in MLB that isn't Yankees related.. but I get it, it is his second career.. and while he will always be remembered for his days in pinstripes, if this goes well Jeter's name could be attached to the marlins for the next 30 years.. an honestly the marlins need that. I just hope I don't end up hating Jeter like how I hate Pat Riley

Return to New York Knicks