ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Yankees Thread

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Re: Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#4961 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:47 pm

Baseball is a game of momentum. Severino was cruising through first couple innings. If Odd-Todd Frazier does his job, the inning is over. Instead it wastes about 20 more pitches and surrenders the lead to the Red Sawx. Obviously you can't pin it all on Toad but it goes to show you how ONE play can change an entire inning and the complexion of the game.

This is something I haven't had a chance to address: Yankees DREADFUL defense. Sure the pitchers are on the hook but damn man, come on.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,333

Post#4962 » by Phish Tank » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:50 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Baseball is a game of momentum. Severino was cruising through first couple innings. If Odd-Todd Frazier does his job, the inning is over. Instead it wastes about 20 more pitches and surrenders the lead to the Red Sawx. Obviously you can't pin it all on Toad but it goes to show you how ONE play can change an entire inning and the complexion of the game.

This is something I haven't had a chance to address: Yankees DREADFUL defense. Sure the pitchers are on the hook but damn man, come on.

Take away his game check for today, if we do end up losing

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Phish Tank
RealGM

Post#4963 » by Phish Tank » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:51 pm

Mecca wrote:
Phish Tank wrote:Benintendi hasn't slumped yet so far in his career. Not sure why Judge hasn't figured it out yet

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Disagree. Last month Benintendi was in a huge slump. Couldn't hit anything. Was actually cut in my fantasy league. Kinda mad I left him on the waiver.

Fine, but he's gotten over it. Not sure why Judge hasn't

VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#4964 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:08 pm

Now Tanaka on 10 DL. Pitching starting to get thin.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#4965 » by Mecca » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:35 pm

Phish Tank wrote:
Mecca wrote:
Phish Tank wrote:Benintendi hasn't slumped yet so far in his career. Not sure why Judge hasn't figured it out yet

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Disagree. Last month Benintendi was in a huge slump. Couldn't hit anything. Was actually cut in my fantasy league. Kinda mad I left him on the waiver.

I don't think Judge was ever a .330 hitter. He was doing prime Miguel Cabrera work the first 90 games. I still see him as a Stanton clone with better plate discipline and think the Home Run Derby nerfed his mechanics.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM

Post#4966 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:15 am

Ouch...10-5 loss. Severino due for a bad game hope this it was it and he can rebound.
Phish Tank
RealGM

Post#4967 » by Phish Tank » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:36 am

Mecca wrote:
Phish Tank wrote:
Mecca wrote:

I don't think Judge was ever a .330 hitter. He was doing prime Miguel Cabrera work the first 90 games. I still see him as a Stanton clone with better plate discipline and think the Home Run Derby nerfed his mechanics.

Well he's almost a net zero impact on offense right now. If he can't fix it here watching replays of all his swings on the YES Network, he may need to take a few days off and go down to the minors to fix all his mechanics

Jstarks3
General Manager
And1: 740

Post#4968 » by Jstarks3 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:18 am

judge looking like the worst player in the entire league. how can his play shift that drastically
by IllmaticHandler

I just got off the Phone with NAS. He said if you listen closely to the intro he not saying **** Jayz. He knew one day a cat name Joey would play himself on realgm. Ether was meant to be used in the future. :o
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#4969 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:04 pm

Jstarks3 wrote:judge looking like the worst player in the entire league. how can his play shift that drastically

Simple. This IS second half baseball.

During the first half of baseball, not much was known about Aaron Judge. Sure, they had some tape on the guy but pitchers weren't really devising a game play/strategy against him. They were just testing their stuff. Now, managers are making it a priority to pitch around him and/or throw the ball in places where he'll either strike out or make an out.

This is why in baseball, unorthodox line ups never last. You STILL need a good lead off who milks pitches, second hitter who can advance the runner, and you need a clean up hitter who is going to keep the pitcher honest.

I still like Aaron and the Yanks' chances.
BadNewsBarnes
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,396

Post#4970 » by BadNewsBarnes » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:00 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:
Jstarks3 wrote:judge looking like the worst player in the entire league. how can his play shift that drastically

Simple. This IS second half baseball.

During the first half of baseball, not much was known about Aaron Judge. Sure, they had some tape on the guy but pitchers weren't really devising a game play/strategy against him. They were just testing their stuff. Now, managers are making it a priority to pitch around him and/or throw the ball in places where he'll either strike out or make an out.

This is why in baseball, unorthodox line ups never last. You STILL need a good lead off who milks pitches, second hitter who can advance the runner, and you need a clean up hitter who is going to keep the pitcher honest.

I still like Aaron and the Yanks' chances.

Baseball is a game of adjustments...everyone is making some sort of adjustment to win that at bat. Right now, Judge has not figured out the slider and he's not hitting. I agree with others on this thread (which agree with Paul O'neill's thoughts) that he is not mechanically in the same place now as he was before the Home Run Derby. Hope they can work that out.

Now also, because of all the injuries on the Yanks, Judge has put undo pressure on himself to perform. When the Yanks were hot, Castro, Didi, Holliday, Hicks were all hitting and Judge was not looked upon to drive in all the runs himself. Maybe that changes when Castro comes back.

The key, oddly enough, is going to be Greg Bird. In BP, he's been hitting like he was back in spring training. If Greg can find his stroke, they wont be able to pitch around Judge as much. There is still time left in the season, and, it's a BIG if, if all the pieces come together, they can go deep into the playoffs if they will games 8-7, 6-5, but not low scoring games because of their starting pitching. We wont have to rely on Toad Frazier to execute during a rally. We'll also have another left handed bat in the lineup.
“Enjoy watching them on TV.” - James Dolan
"When a coach loses a team … that's when a coach is kind of done." - James Dolan
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#4971 » by Dr. Detfink » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:40 pm

BadNewsBarnes wrote:Baseball is a game of adjustments...everyone is making some sort of adjustment to win that at bat. Right now, Judge has not figured out the slider and he's not hitting. I agree with others on this thread (which agree with Paul O'neill's thoughts) that he is not mechanically in the same place now as he was before the Home Run Derby. Hope they can work that out.

Now also, because of all the injuries on the Yanks, Judge has put undo pressure on himself to perform. When the Yanks were hot, Castro, Didi, Holliday, Hicks were all hitting and Judge was not looked upon to drive in all the runs himself. Maybe that changes when Castro comes back.

The key, oddly enough, is going to be Greg Bird. In BP, he's been hitting like he was back in spring training. If Greg can find his stroke, they wont be able to pitch around Judge as much. There is still time left in the season, and, it's a BIG if, if all the pieces come together, they can go deep into the playoffs if they will games 8-7, 6-5, but not low scoring games because of their starting pitching. We wont have to rely on Toad Frazier to execute during a rally. We'll also have another left handed bat in the lineup.

True.

I agree with Judge not having to solve that slider is on him. I also agree injuries have contributed to his statistical decline but...I don't know if his swing was affected by the home run derby because he doesn't have an unorthodox swing. I just think ONE pitch that a player can't hit, makes him second guess everything that's coming his way.

As for Greg Bird, I'm not going to set myself up again. So long as he's healthy for next season, I'll be content. I do NOT expect to see him this season at all but I'd definitely welcome the young man if he does indeed make it.
xNewYorkMadex
General Manager
And1: 5,758

Post#4972 » by xNewYorkMadex » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:37 pm

Could be another reason why Judge is struggling in the 2nd half

http://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/133472/overruled-umps-throwing-curveball-at-aaron-judge-in-second-half

The strike zone seems to be changing for him. In the 1st half he had low pitches being called for strikes, in the 2nd half hes being called more for high pitches in the zone.
Andrea Bargnani nYk 2013-2015
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM

Post#4973 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:30 pm

xNewYorkMadex wrote:Could be another reason why Judge is struggling in the 2nd half

http://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/133472/overruled-umps-throwing-curveball-at-aaron-judge-in-second-half

The strike zone seems to be changing for him. In the 1st half he had low pitches being called for strikes, in the 2nd half hes being called more for high pitches in the zone.

Interesting.
Mecca
RealGM

Post#4974 » by Mecca » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:59 pm

xNewYorkMadex wrote:Could be another reason why Judge is struggling in the 2nd half

I can definitely see a team issuing to the league that Judge should have a higher strike zone calling for a league notice to umps.
Brooklyn Nets
blue and orange
Assistant Coach
And1: 995

Post#4975 » by blue and orange » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:32 am

Well Montgomery has done his job I like this game for his future a rookie going up against an experienced ace, Sale looks like he is throwing a no hitter tonight gotta tie it up and drive him out of the game to make it a bullpen game.
VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM

Post#4976 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:43 am

blue and orange wrote:Well Montgomery has done his job I like this game for his future a rookie going up against an experienced ace, Sale looks like he is throwing a no hitter tonight gotta tie it up and drive him out of the game to make it a bullpen game.

I like Montgomery's make-up. I think he'll be an important pitcher for the staff going forward when CC leaves.
Mecca
RealGM

Post#4977 » by Mecca » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:58 am

Montgomery is a key rotational piece for the next several years. He mixes his pitches well and is smart on the mound. A solid #3-4 pitcher for sure.
Brooklyn Nets
blue and orange
Assistant Coach

Post#4978 » by blue and orange » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:59 am

VirginiaKnickFan wrote:
blue and orange wrote:Well Montgomery has done his job I like this game for his future a rookie going up against an experienced ace, Sale looks like he is throwing a no hitter tonight gotta tie it up and drive him out of the game to make it a bullpen game.

I like Montgomery's make-up. I think he'll be an important pitcher for the staff going forward when CC leaves.

For some reason I was very confident in him coming into this game, more confident in Montgomery then I was in the lineup, well he's done more then you could ask for tonight now its up to the lineup to drive Sale out of the game drive up that pitch count if you can't get another run off of him.
Phish Tank
RealGM

Official NY Yankees Thread 

Post#4979 » by Phish Tank » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:03 am

The last two strikeouts by judge and Sanchez is why I proposed a complete makeover in offensive philosophy

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
blue and orange
Assistant Coach

Post#4980 » by blue and orange » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:04 am

Keep Robertson in for the 7th.

Return to New York Knicks