Forgotten Stars R2 - BdeRegt* vs. poopdamoop

Moderators: Snakebites, MadNESS, Fadeaway_J

Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 13,989

Forgotten Stars R2 - BdeRegt* vs. poopdamoop 

Post#1 » by Laimbeer » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:14 am

Here is a quick list of what you need in your writeup.

1. Specific years for each player on your team
2. Rotations and minutes for each player
3. Reasoning as to why your team will win and/or why people should vote for you.

Do not vote in this thread until both managers have submitted their writeups.

If writeups aren't posted within 24 hours, we will vote solely based on the players they have drafted (and any rotations they have posted on roster page).

**First to 4 votes advances**

BdeRegt wrote:..

poopdamoop wrote:..
BdeRegt
Lead Assistant
And1: 724

Re: Forgotten Stars R2 - BdeRegt vs. poopdamoop 

Post#2 » by BdeRegt » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:04 am

1. Larry Bird - 1986 - 19.6
2. Steph Curry - 2015 - 16.8
3. Andre Iguodala - 2017 - 5.5
4. Carmelo Anthony - 2013 - 0
5. Danny Green - 2017 - 6.6
6. Artis Gilmore - 1973 - 12.41
7. Joel Anthony - 2011 - 1.3
8. Eric Snow - 1997 - 2.4

Total: 64.61/65

Steph Curry (38) / Eric Snow (10)
Danny Green (36) / Andre Iguodala (12)
Carmelo Anthony (28) / Andre Iguodala (20)
Larry Bird (38) / Carmelo Anthony (10)
Artis Gilmore (40) / Joel Anthony (8)

Offensively, we will attack old Jason Kidd and Dirk a lot in this match up. Whether Dirk guards Bird or Melo, he is going to really struggle against a Curry Pick and Roll. I think picking an old version of Kidd will really cost my opponent in this match up. I can also go inside to Gilmore who's strength will be a real struggle for Walton and the spacing around Gilmore is tremendous.

Defensively, Green/Iguodala will take Iverson and use their length to give him issues with Gilmore as an elite shot blocker waiting at the rim. Bird will guard Dirk. He is a very smart defender who can use his length to contest shots. Bird actually led the league in DWS in season chosen. Melo can body this version of George fine and Gilmore is excellent defender to have on Walton.

Overall, I think my opponent using non-peak Kidd/George will really hurt him in this match up and I feel I have the better player at PG/SF (yes, my version of Melo is superior to his version of George)/PF with Center being a wash and Iverson being his only real edge.
poopdamoop
Assistant Coach
And1: 823

Post#3 » by poopdamoop » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:33 pm

PG: '09 Jason Kidd - 9/9/6/2, 41% 3PT
SG: '01 Allen Iverson - 31/5/4/3, MVP, All-NBA 1st
SF: '14 Paul George - 18/8/4, 37% 3PT, All-NBA 3rd, All-D 2nd
PF: '11 Dirk Nowitzki - 23/7/3, 39% 3PT, All-NBA 1st, Finals MVP
C: '77 Bill Walton - 19/14/4/3, All-NBA 2nd, All-D 1st, Finals MVP

SG/SF: '03 Doug Christie - 9/5/4/2, 40% 3PT, All-D 1st
SF/PF: '98 Jerome Williams - 5/5/1
C: '85 George Johnson - 2/3/1

Jason Kidd(36) / Allen Iverson(12)
Allen Iverson(26) / Doug Christie(22)
Paul George(37) / Doug Christie(8) / Jerome Williams(3)
Dirk Nowitzki(37) / Jerome Williams(11)
Bill Walton(38) / George Johnson(8) / Dirk Nowitzki(2)

WRITEUP:

I know that old Kidd isn't as impactful as he used to be, but he's a perfect fit for this team. Much better shooter, able to guard 2s and 3s, and still an elite player on both sides of the ball (4.5 BPM).

In this matchup, we'll put Bird and Melo in tons of PnRs with AI/Dirk, and both of them will get torched on switches. Walton will facilitate from the high post, pulling my opponent's best defender out of the lane and forcing his pretty poor defensive perimeter to scramble. AI/Kidd/Christie will all get chances to slow Steph down - I'm not worried about AI guarding Curry, as he's quick enough to get around screens and was a pretty impactful defender when he didn't have to carry the whole offense. Dirk will guard Melo to start - we're happy to let him chuck away and we've got elite defenders in Kidd, George, and Walton to support Dirk if he gets beat.

Overall, we have the defensive chops to slow down BdeRegt's perimeter and enough offense to exploit guys like Curry and Melo.
BdeRegt
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by BdeRegt » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:21 pm

For reference, my team won't switch AI/Dirk action. Bird will stick on Dirk while Danny Green goes under. Happy to make AI try to beat us 1 on 1 with jump shots.
8on
RealGM
And1: 3,194

Post#5 » by 8on » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:37 pm

BdeRegt has a significant talent advantage.

vote: BdeRegt
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#6 » by GeorgeMarcus » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:01 pm

The Bird/Curry/Gilmore trio is just dirty, but I almost wonder if Melo holds them back in this setting. Curry and Bird thrive in the context of flowing team offense, while Melo (talented as he was) thrives in isolation. His inability to play off ball does get overstated a bit, but I'm not convinced his contributions justify lower usage for Chef and Larry. Especially after you factor in Melo's lackluster defense.

On the other hand, Dirk/AI's iso tendencies make sense for poop because they are the top dogs. Kidd/Walton are extremely selfless/effective in complementary roles, while PG offers an elite 3&D skill set (assuming he keeps his ego in check.) Not seeing any significant talent edge for either team, but I love what poop did here.

Vote - poopdamoop
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
BdeRegt
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by BdeRegt » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:15 pm

For record, my team won't be ISOing Melo much unless AI switches onto him. Melo will be playing the Olympic Melo role where he thrives spacing floor, attacking mismatches, and moving the ball.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#8 » by GeorgeMarcus » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:24 pm

BdeRegt wrote:For record, my team won't be ISOing Melo much unless AI switches onto him. Melo will be playing the Olympic Melo role where he thrives spacing floor, attacking mismatches, and moving the ball.

That's fair; I like both teams quite a bit so I resorted to nitpicking. Olympic Melo is the reason I believe his off ball skill set gets overlooked. But iso or no iso, I still see this as a case of diminishing returns next to your other weapons.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,609

Post#9 » by Snakebites » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:37 pm

Do most people consider Gillmore Walton a wash? I definitely prefer Walton by a fair margin.

Not ready to vote.
8on
RealGM

Post#10 » by 8on » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:40 pm

Snakebites wrote:Do most people consider Gillmore Walton a wash? I definitely prefer Walton by a fair margin.

Not ready to vote.

Walton is able to space the floor, but - like Draymond - that doesn't make him dominant. Gilmore would probably be able to bully Walton around with his size and strength.
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#11 » by pelifan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:48 pm

People reminding me why I decided to jumpship on this process everyday.
BdeRegt
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by BdeRegt » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:55 pm

Snakebites wrote:Do most people consider Gillmore Walton a wash? I definitely prefer Walton by a fair margin.

Not ready to vote.

Stat Gilmore Walton Edge
PTS 20.8 18.6 Gilmore
BLK 3.1 3.2 Walton
TRB 17.6 14.4 Gilmore
ORB 5.3 3.2 Gilmore
AST 3.5 3.8 Walton
FG% .559 .528 Gilmore
PER 24.1 22.9 Gilmore
TS% .589 .563 Gilmore
ORB% 12.1 8.2 Gilmore
DRB% 28.3 32.4 Walton
TRB% 20.1 20.6 Walton
OWS 8.7 5.4 Gilmore
DWS 9.8 4.8 Gilmore
WS 18.5 10.2 GIlmore
WS/48 .253 .215 Gilmore

Gilmore has the edge in majority of stats. Both one year removed from MVP seasons. Head to Head matchups for career not that helpful with these 2 but Gilmore outscored Walton 18-16. I don't see how you can make an argument that Walton was better by a wide margin if at all. I think Gilmore's strength would give Walton a lot of trouble.
BdeRegt
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by BdeRegt » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:57 pm

pelifan wrote:People reminding me why I decided to jumpship on this process everyday.

Or you could participate by voting and stating your opinion. Maybe educate someone else with your knowledge or maybe you'll learn something from someone else and can help these games proceed.
8on
RealGM

Post#14 » by 8on » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:58 pm

pelifan wrote:People reminding me why I decided to jumpship on this process everyday.

people = me, just in case the cryptographers had the day off :lol:
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#15 » by Laimbeer » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:02 pm

Slight talent edge for Bde, I like the shooting around Gilmore, and AI doesn't do much for me in this setting. His defense still concerns me but poop has a couple holes of his own.

Vote: Bde
Laimbeer
RealGM

Post#16 » by Laimbeer » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:02 pm

Bde 2-1
8on
RealGM

Post#17 » by 8on » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:06 pm

All right, folks, let me come out and say it: I don't know as much about basketball as you guys do. I don't.

Should that disqualify me from the games? That's for you to decide. I enjoy them. I enjoy voting in them because I have a viewpoint and it's mine. I'm the guy that thinks Dirk and Dantley are comparable talents. People scoff at me when I say things like that because "oh, it's established knowledge," but no one's been able to argue why he's any more a first round pick than Ray Allen. He doesn't rebound, he doesn't defend, he doesn't block shots, he's basically Yao Ming with more range and less shot blocking. He's Kevin Love or Ryan Anderson on steroids. I stand by what I said.

I do not by any means stand by all the scoffing. Whenever I vote, I tend to see feedback that scoffs at it. I would curse here, but I don't do that anymore. Take your scoffing somewhere where I don't need to see it. I have a viewpoint. I'm allowed to have a viewpoint. If it's not as informed as yours, MAKE YOUR CASE TO ME. But don't scoff. You lose all respect in my book when you do that.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,098

Post#18 » by Statlanta » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:08 pm

Vote: BdeRegt
The teams are so close. I just think his team will have better flow on team offense.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
8on
RealGM

Post#19 » by 8on » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:11 pm

When I say make your case to me, I do not mean "expect me to sit there and be quiet." I may disagree with you, based on what I perceive to be the laws of physics and strengths or weaknesses of someone's game.

Pelifan, if you've come to this conclusion about the voting process in any way because of me, I do apologize. I'm sorry you're bitter because I make opinions known that you think are crazy or uninformed. That said, you've made no effort to educate me. Others have, but you haven't, if a little bit about Dwight a couple games ago. I don't regret voting, but I will leave these games if there's a certain amount of knowledge I'm supposed to have. I have no problem with that.
pelifan
RealGM
And1: 21,691

Post#20 » by pelifan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:28 pm

dantley4prez wrote:When I say make your case to me, I do not mean "expect me to sit there and be quiet." I may disagree with you, based on what I perceive to be the laws of physics and strengths or weaknesses of someone's game.

Pelifan, if you've come to this conclusion about the voting process in any way because of me, I do apologize. I'm sorry you're bitter because I make opinions known that you think are crazy or uninformed. That said, you've made no effort to educate me. Others have, but you haven't, if a little bit about Dwight a couple games ago. I don't regret voting, but I will leave these games if there's a certain amount of knowledge I'm supposed to have. I have no problem with that.

I have no direct qualms with you Dant. You've been a great addition to these games even if I rarely agree with you.

I just often feel sharing my opinion is a waste of breath that isnt going to change anyone's mind or vote. Most of my opinions arent my own, I get them from the PC board.

as for Walton vs Gilmore viewtopic.php?t=1277611

Return to Trades and Transactions Games