ImageImageImageImageImage

Official NY Mets Thread

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 99,642

Re: Official NY Mets Thread 

Post#1621 » by mpharris36 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:23 pm

blueNorange wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
blueNorange wrote:smith is good but peter alonso is having a very good season that could make him expendable

:lol: :lol: :lol:

alonso has plus plus power and has had a great season displaying power

.534 slugging and he started off real slow

perfect world nl adopts dh

Smith is an elite defender and until Rosario came up the mets had a super shacky defense. Smith is a gap to gap hitter with developing power. I don't mind alonso but I don't see how he's an everday 1st baseman unless he puts up great offensive numbers. Smith has been a +300 hitter and plus defender every year in the minors.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,884

Post#1622 » by blueNorange » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:03 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

alonso has plus plus power and has had a great season displaying power

.534 slugging and he started off real slow

perfect world nl adopts dh

Smith is an elite defender and until Rosario came up the mets had a super shacky defense. Smith is a gap to gap hitter with developing power. I don't mind alonso but I don't see how he's an everday 1st baseman unless he puts up great offensive numbers. Smith has been a +300 hitter and plus defender every year in the minors.

alonso has a .291 ba, 15 homeruns, and 21 doubles in only 266 at bats, and all this after batting .190 through the first 25 games. his bat is fine, he's going to be an everyday player. he has very good bat speed and plus plus power.

i love smith, but the idea that he's locked in as the future 1b isn't true at all because he has 2 things against him.

1. his poor work ethic that has scouts questioning his durability as he gets older(he apparently gained all the weight he lost back)
2. peter alonso

next year is a very important season for alonso who'll be in AA, next season determines the type of prospect he is.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#1623 » by reub » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:43 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Yep, bad move by the Wilponzis. Comforting is fine in CF and he'll get better. Besides, there are no other centerfielders on the free-agent market this off-season other than Lorenzo Cain who is 31 years old.

Maybe they think they can re-sign him for less money during the off-season?

Keith Hernandez called the Bruce trade a straight salary dump tonight. I can't really argue with him either.

Allegedly they could have had two better prospects from the Yankees but would have had to pay most of his remaining salary.

Yep. That's what I heard too though I haven't done any research or read any articles about them, so who knows? But it makes Wilponzi sense. If we would have offered Bruce a qualifying offer of $18M, we could've also gotten a first round pick for him. Moreover, who's going to play CF if Forto moves to RF? Ok, Legares is now off the DL until he injures that thumb again in 5 games. So we can't count on him to be our every day CF next season and the only FA CF who is available this season is who an upgrade over Forto is a 31 year old Lorenzo Cain who will be looking for a long term deal as he probably sees this as his last shot at a big contract. Honestly, I think Forto done a pretty good job in CF from the limited action I've seen, even though the metrics don't support that. I'm also taking into account that this was his first season playing the position without the opportunity to train during the off season for it. He's an excellent athlete and a smart kid who I believe will make himself into a more than adequate CF. Maybe we'll bring Bruce back this off season.

What OF would you prefer?

Cespedes-Conforto-Bruce?

or

Cespedes-Cain-Conforto?

Has Conforto ever played RF before? If not, it's another new position he'd have to learn.

I would be shocked if we gave Cain a big contract. I can't see us signing him at all after we spent (and might have wasted) all of those millions on Cespedes, who has driven in less runs this year than Flores, Reyes, Cabrera, Walker, Duda, D'Arnaud or Granderson.

I think that we would like to bring Bruce back but not at anything like $18 million per year.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,169

Post#1624 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:49 pm

reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:
Keith Hernandez called the Bruce trade a straight salary dump tonight. I can't really argue with him either.

Allegedly they could have had two better prospects from the Yankees but would have had to pay most of his remaining salary.

Yep. That's what I heard too though I haven't done any research or read any articles about them, so who knows? But it makes Wilponzi sense. If we would have offered Bruce a qualifying offer of $18M, we could've also gotten a first round pick for him. Moreover, who's going to play CF if Forto moves to RF? Ok, Legares is now off the DL until he injures that thumb again in 5 games. So we can't count on him to be our every day CF next season and the only FA CF who is available this season is who an upgrade over Forto is a 31 year old Lorenzo Cain who will be looking for a long term deal as he probably sees this as his last shot at a big contract. Honestly, I think Forto done a pretty good job in CF from the limited action I've seen, even though the metrics don't support that. I'm also taking into account that this was his first season playing the position without the opportunity to train during the off season for it. He's an excellent athlete and a smart kid who I believe will make himself into a more than adequate CF. Maybe we'll bring Bruce back this off season.

Cespedes-Conforto-Bruce?

or

Cespedes-Cain-Conforto?

Has Conforto ever played RF before? If not, it's another new position he'd have to learn.

I would be shocked if we gave Cain a big contract. I can't see us signing him at all after we spent (and might have wasted) all of those millions on Cespedes, who has driven in less runs this year than Flores, Reyes, Cabrera, Walker, Duda, D'Arnaud or Granderson.

I think that we would like to bring Bruce back but not at anything like $18 million per year.

These leg injuries are a problem. He bulked up too much there. Improper training IMO. I've heard he and Noah have admitted their mistakes and will train differently this off season. We shall see.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1625 » by reub » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:09 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
reub wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Cespedes-Conforto-Bruce?

or

Cespedes-Cain-Conforto?

These leg injuries are a problem. He bulked up too much there. Improper training IMO. I've heard he and Noah have admitted their mistakes and will train differently this off season. We shall see.

His legs were a problem last year too. I certainly hope that Cespedes and Noah never, ever train together without medical supervision in the room.
treiz
RealGM
And1: 564

Post#1626 » by treiz » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:45 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Bruce could've played RF while Smith got his ABs at 1B. The player that gains the most from this move is Curtis Granderson and Juan now the he's off the DL until he gets hurt again.

I agree that they needed to give playing time to Grandy/Lagares which resulted in Bruce playing 1B from more often than not (since you couldn't really bench Bruce), and I guess Sandy wanted Smith to be the everyday 1B when he gets called up.

It does clear up further ABs for Smith, and if that was his objective regarding this trade then fair enough.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1627 » by reub » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:46 pm

My first impression of Dominic Smith is that he's a rather paunchy young man.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#1628 » by blueNorange » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:14 am

reub wrote:My first impression of Dominic Smith is that he's a rather paunchy young man.

which is why scouts question his work ethic.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#1629 » by blueNorange » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:03 am

lets talk about rosario's opposite field power and bat speed.

they're both real impressive.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1630 » by reub » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:48 pm

blueNorange wrote:
reub wrote:My first impression of Dominic Smith is that he's a rather paunchy young man.

which is why scouts question his work ethic.

Smith looks like he has never lifted a weight or pushed himself away from a dinner table. But he does have good, soft hands in the field.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1631 » by reub » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:48 pm

blueNorange wrote:lets talk about rosario's opposite field power and bat speed.

they're both real impressive.

Totally agree.
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1632 » by reub » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:58 am

Neil Walker has been traded to the Brewers.
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#1633 » by TMU » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:12 am

While we're raising our white flag and having a yard sale, let's also get rid of Alderson and Collins. You think the Yankees couldn't do better than this project who posting an ERA close to 5 in the minors. This season is just getting better. :D
reub
Lead Assistant

Post#1634 » by reub » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:23 pm

I'm hearing that Milwaukee gave us back Laverne but not Shirley in the deal for Walker.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1635 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:15 pm

TMU wrote:While we're raising our white flag and having a yard sale, let's also get rid of Alderson and Collins. You think the Yankees couldn't do better than this project who has who would have offer a better deal than this project who posting an ERA close to 5 in the minors. This season is just getting better. :D

I think Terry is probably done. Not sure what's going on with Sandy's health which could play a role. The problem with replacing Sandy is that it empowers Jeff which, as we all know, is not a good thing.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#1636 » by Mecca » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:36 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
TMU wrote:While we're raising our white flag and having a yard sale, let's also get rid of Alderson and Collins. You think the Yankees couldn't do better than this project who has who would have offer a better deal than this project who posting an ERA close to 5 in the minors. This season is just getting better. :D

I think Terry is probably done. Not sure what's going on with Sandy's health which could play a role. The problem with replacing Sandy is that it empowers Jeff which, as we all know, is not a good thing.

Something you guys never talk about is letting go of Justin Turner - NL batting champion - all-star - #3 hitter for best team in baseball for basically nothing.

That and Murphy are killers.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1637 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:38 pm

Mecca wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Something you guys never talk about is letting go of Justin Turner - NL batting champion - all-star - #3 hitter for best team in baseball for basically nothing.

That's why we don't talk about it. :lol:
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#1638 » by blueNorange » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:42 pm

Mecca wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

when the mets let turner go, he wasn't good at all. like he had 3 seasons of mediocrity.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,324

Post#1639 » by Mecca » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:47 pm

blueNorange wrote:
Mecca wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

when the mets let turner go, he wasn't good at all. like he had 3 seasons of mediocrity.

Obviously. I remember him as a nice utility player off the bench. It still shows that the kid had obvious potential and they let him go without properly evaluating.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#1640 » by blueNorange » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:55 pm

Mecca wrote:
blueNorange wrote:
Mecca wrote:

Obviously. I remember him as a nice utility player off the bench. It still shows that the kid had obvious potential and they let him go without properly evaluating.

he had 2 seasons where he literally was a starter and did nothing.

i'm not faulting the mets for that because turner wasn't good in the minors.

.696 ops in 301 games, sorry that's a big sample to make a decision on the player.
LOL Y U MAD THO?

Return to New York Knicks