ImageImageImage

The Jimmy G Buckets thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Alwaysrightguy
Sophomore
And1: 54

Re: RE: Re: The Jimmy G Buckets thread 

Post#41 » by Alwaysrightguy » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:27 pm

kmgarnett21 wrote:When asked about the naysayers.....Jimmy Butler gave out his cell phone number during the press conference and said if anyone has something to say, to call him.

For the record, the number he said was 773-899-6071 if anyone wants to welcome him to Minnesota.

I'm sure he'll change his number after the press conference. But still pretty funny.

Too much trouble to change your number. He will have to deal with about 500 texts a day but it will slowly wind down. I will give him a call in the future.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,661

Re: The Jimmy G Buckets thread 

Post#42 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:29 pm

One thing I have found out is that Jimmy is a goofy guy in a good way. Seriously a big time character.
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#43 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:47 pm

Jimmy rules. Thanks chicago!
Streakers33
Sixth Man
And1: 202

Post#44 » by Streakers33 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:43 pm

Each day I am great full we got him a lil bit more.. at first I was in the don't trade lavine camp.. but this guy named butler.. has total package about him... and funny we have been screaming for real vet help to shape up these pups and show Wiggins and towns what it is to be a pros pro.. probably the best trade in history for the twolves already... I have faith for the first time that Wiggins will develop a killer instinct.. and it started today....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#45 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:44 pm

Funny....Towns told Butler he was taking the Wolves to the playoff with or without him. :lol:
TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer
And1: 555

Post#46 » by TwolvesFanRome » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:48 pm

"...I want to compliment him, we all expected that he would take up the game, we have prepared the plan race on him, we have doubled. And, as usual, he did what he wanted..."

Zelimir Obradovic, talking about Dejan Bodiroga
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Re: RE: Re: The Jimmy G Buckets thread 

Post#47 » by kmgarnett21 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:52 pm

Alwaysrightguy wrote:
kmgarnett21 wrote:When asked about the naysayers.....Jimmy Butler gave out his cell phone number during the press conference and said if anyone has something to say, to call him.

For the record, the number he said was 773-899-6071 if anyone wants to welcome him to Minnesota.

I'm sure he'll change his number after the press conference. But still pretty funny.

Too much trouble to change your number. He will have to deal with about 500 texts a day but it will slowly wind down. I will give him a call in the future.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app

No it's not. Especially if you're a multi-millionaire NBA player. Lol.

But apparently he took calls, facetime videos and replied to some texts. His agent posted about it on twitter. Lol.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,174

Post#48 » by AirP. » Mon Aug 7, 2017 9:13 pm

Butler, traded to the Timberwolves in June and in town for Dwyane Wade’s youth basketball camp, took a large contingent from the Bulls’ business operations staff out to dinner.

Butler treated behind-the-scenes staffers like salespeople and media relations officials and digital production staffers at Katana, the chic new River North sushi restaurant.

Butler wanted to “say goodbye and thank you,” according to someone familiar with his plans.

Roughly 35 staffers attended the three-hour dinner.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-jimmy-butler-treats-bulls-staffers-20170807-story,amp.html

Sorry for posting that originally in the Butler trade thread.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,678

Post#49 » by minimus » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:31 pm

My favorite mix about Jimmy. I really want to see how Jimmy and Gibson will set a tone of the physical play. If we want to succeed we need to learn toughness, we need to make an opponent feel uncomfortable every second of the game. Watch each other back and fight.

Also, I hope we will be much smarter next season, I don't want to see situations like this anymore.
minimus
RealGM

Post#50 » by minimus » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:34 pm

If the Wolves are unleashed to get up and down the floor, look out. Their three best players (Wiggins, Towns, and Butler) all ranked among the league’s elite in transition offense when it comes to Point Per Possession (PPP). Wiggins scored in the 85th percentile in transition offense. Towns outdid that number, scoring in the 86th percentile in this category. These two numbers are outstanding, until you see that Jimmy Butler scored in the 94th percentile (!) in the open court.

Guys, please could you explain in simple words what does it mean scoring in the XXth percentile in this category? I'm trying to translate this what I actually saw last season. Many thanks in advance!
jmoy
Senior
And1: 180

Post#51 » by jmoy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:48 pm

minimus wrote:
If the Wolves are unleashed to get up and down the floor, look out. Their three best players (Wiggins, Towns, and Butler) all ranked among the league’s elite in transition offense when it comes to Point Per Possession (PPP). Wiggins scored in the 85th percentile in transition offense. Towns outdid that number, scoring in the 86th percentile in this category. These two numbers are outstanding, until you see that Jimmy Butler scored in the 94th percentile (!) in the open court.

Guys, please could you explain in simple words what does it mean scoring in the XXth percentile in this category? I'm trying to translate this what I actually saw last season. Many thanks in advance!

It simply means that they scored better than 85, 86 and 94 percent of other players in the open court. I am not sure what "open court" officially means but you would assume it is basically fast break/not 5 on 5 set offense.
minimus
RealGM

Post#52 » by minimus » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:01 pm

Thanks! Still, a bit confused how I can read these numbers. Maybe identify the group of players who is better than JimBo in this category.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#53 » by AirP. » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:37 pm

minimus wrote:

Butler gets a good amount of steals near the top of the key where they lead to easy fast breaks, I'd guess Towns and Wiggins are usually faster and more athletic then who they defend which also gives them an advantage getting down court and having the numbers advantage.

The nice thing about Butler's steals at the top of the key, the rest of the team gets to take a small break.

I think a lot of people are sleeping on how good Butler really is.

theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#54 » by theGreatRC » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:34 pm

AirP. wrote:
minimus wrote:

Butler gets a good amount of steals near the top of the key where they lead to easy fast breaks, I'd guess Towns and Wiggins are usually faster and more athletic then who they defend which also gives them an advantage getting down court and having the numbers advantage.

The nice thing about Butler's steals at the top of the key, the rest of the team gets to take a small break.

I think a lot of people are sleeping on how good Butler really is.

That lockdown video is amazing. Excited to see a defensive duo of Wiggs/Butler
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#55 » by andyhop » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:00 am

I hope Butler concentrates more on the defensive end of the court than he has done the last couple of years, although Thibs seems set to run a lot of the offense through him so I expect it will be very spotty given his offensive load
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
AirP.
RealGM

Post#56 » by AirP. » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:49 am

andyhop wrote:I hope Butler concentrates more on the defensive end of the court than he has done the last couple of years, although Thibs seems set to run a lot of the offense through him so I expect it will be very spotty given his offensive load

What? Have I missed something about his defense lately? The Bulls(a .500 team) were +17 per 100 possessions when he was on the court, when on the court the Bulls gave up 107 points per 100 possessions with the lowest on the team being 106(they've been getting worse the less Thibs taught players are there).

If anyone needs to concentrate on defense maybe you should look at Wiggins, by far the worse regular starter with +/- per 100 possessions. When Wiggins was on the court the team gave up 115 points per 100 possessions, odd with Dieng and Towns only giving up 110 and Rubio giving up 112. But Wiggins was working hard on the offensive end to have the team score 107 points per 100 possessions. You may say that's because the team was so bad, but Minnesota put up 121 points per 100 possessions with Towns on the court, 114 with Dieng on the court, 115 with Rubio on the court and even LaVine's lineups put up 112 per 100.

Even though statistics don't say everything about a player, that -8 is says a whole lot about his defense and almost average scoring efficiency when you look at the rest of the starters. He's got the athletic ability, he just doesn't have the will to play defense at this point.
Ranger
Sophomore
And1: 144

Post#57 » by Ranger » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:25 am

minimus wrote:Thanks! Still, a bit confused how I can read these numbers. Maybe identify the group of players who is better than JimBo in this category.

Unrelated here, but are you actually from the home of Golovkin?
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#58 » by andyhop » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:29 am

AirP. wrote:
andyhop wrote:I hope Butler concentrates more on the defensive end of the court than he has done the last couple of years, although Thibs seems set to run a lot of the offense through him so I expect it will be very spotty given his offensive load

What? Have I missed something about his defense lately? The Bulls(a .500 team) were +17 per 100 possessions when he was on the court, when on the court the Bulls gave up 107 points per 100 possessions with the lowest on the team being 106(they've been getting worse the less Thibs taught players are there).

The Bulls were +3 /100poss with him on court and his defense is fine it just isn't game changing consistently likely due to the effort he has been putting out on offense. Given Thibs style of play that we saw him attempt last year before he realised Wiggins couldn't do it and the reshaping of the roster this off season I expect Butler to carry a heavy load again initiating the offense.

As to Wiggins stepping up his defense I agree that would be massive but what if he doesn't , then you need Butler carrying the load and I don't know that the make up of the team as it is now allows that
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
AirP.
RealGM

Post#59 » by AirP. » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:25 pm

andyhop wrote:
AirP. wrote:

The Bulls were +3 /100poss with him on court and his defense is fine it just isn't game changing consistently likely due to the effort he has been putting out on offense. Given Thibs style of play that we saw him attempt last year before he realised Wiggins couldn't do it and the reshaping of the roster this off season I expect Butler to carry a heavy load again initiating the offense.

As to Wiggins stepping up his defense I agree that would be massive but what if he doesn't , then you need Butler carrying the load and I don't know that the make up of the team as it is now allows that

+3 per 100 possessions? If you're looking at nba.com that just for the time he was on the court not per 100, I use per 100 to see rate since most teams go at different paces.

If you want to go by NBA's real +/- he was 7th overall in the league.
http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM (I don't use ESPN since it's blocked at my work and I work in a cell shielded building.)
In the Real +/- Dieng was 33rd, Rubio 39th and Towns 51st... 3 starters in the top 51 then if we go down far enough we see Wiggins at 262nd at -1.60. I get Wiggins has potential but people are just not seeing how incredibly bad he was for the team, they see the PPG and think it's progress, it's really not.

I guess I don't get this narrative of Butler not playing defense because he's become a really good offensive player AND has been playing for a coach who hasn't proved himself and isn't known to be a good defensive coach. It's pretty incredible the Bulls were able to go around .500 the last year, that roster was horrible. I guess watching him play defense and all the "extra" effort he gave playing defense doesn't get counted.
minimus
RealGM

Post#60 » by minimus » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:59 pm

Ranger wrote:
minimus wrote:Thanks! Still, a bit confused how I can read these numbers. Maybe identify the group of players who is better than JimBo in this category.

Unrelated here, but are you actually from the home of Golovkin?

Yes, I tell you more, we are from the same district Maikuduk, full of criminals, he lived in 11th building, I lived in 1st. I fought once against him when we were kids, he just started boxing. He beat the sh*t out of me :D As a person he is a really good guy, he has been smarter than many his friends who ended up on the bottom of the life.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves