ImageImageImageImageImage

2018 Draft Thread (UPDATED POLL)

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Who ya wanna tank for?

Luka Doncic
54%
Marvin Bagley
11%
Michael Porter Jr
23%
Mohamed Bamba
3%
DeAndre Ayton
3%
Hamidou Diallo
1%
Kevin Knox
2%
Colin Sexton
1%
Miles Bridges
2%
Isaac Bonga
2%

Total votes: 171

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 47,893

Re: 2018 Draft Thread 

Post#461 » by DOT » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:40 pm

IllmaticHandler wrote:
DaGawd wrote:For a guy who isn't a number 1 scoring option to average 18 ppg last season as arguably the 3rd option is pretty damn good... I think KP's potential to be the primary go to scorer is really underrated

Thats the reason why he was able to score 18 a game.The attention was not on him like that. So he is not underrated in potential as the primary Guy as KP has not faced #1 scorer defense all season long and the verdict is still out on how good he can be as lead Dog in his third year. KP being the go to scorer and getting full attention of a defense that number can easily dip. Its not the same ball game when all eyes are on you.

Did some math, in 6 games without Melo KP averaged 14.7/5.7/1.3 on 45% shooting, 15% 3pt shooting

He averaged less points, but the biggest reason for that was his bad 3pt shooting. He took significantly less 3pt shots, he averaged around 5 per game for the season, but only slightly over 2 per game without Melo

And about a rebound and a half less per game

So there is a drop off, and Melo for sure helps him, but it's not too dramatic, and has more to do with most of those games coming during KP's cold stretch

It's also probably a huge adjustment not having the focal point of your offense for a game, but if we make KP the focal point straight off next year, he should be good
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#462 » by IllmaticHandler » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:47 pm

K-DOT wrote:
IllmaticHandler wrote:
DaGawd wrote:For a guy who isn't a number 1 scoring option to average 18 ppg last season as arguably the 3rd option is pretty damn good... I think KP's potential to be the primary go to scorer is really underrated

Thats the reason why he was able to score 18 a game.The attention was not on him like that. So he is not underrated in potential as the primary Guy as KP has not faced #1 scorer defense all season long and the verdict is still out on how good he can be as lead Dog in his third year. KP being the go to scorer and getting full attention of a defense that number can easily dip. Its not the same ball game when all eyes are on you.

Did some math, in 6 games without Melo KP averaged 14.7/5.7/1.3 on 45% shooting, 15% 3pt shooting

He averaged less points, but the biggest reason for that was his bad 3pt shooting. He took significantly less 3pt shots, he averaged around 5 per game for the season, but only slightly over 2 per game without Melo

And about a rebound and a half less per game

So there is a drop off, and Melo for sure helps him, but it's not too dramatic, and has more to do with most of those games coming during KP's cold stretch

It's also probably a huge adjustment not having the focal point of your offense for a game, but if we make KP the focal point straight off next year, he should be good

Again, like I said the verdict is still out. KP also has to prove he has the stamina to maintain a 18+ point avg all season long. It take alot of energy to do it as lead dog. There is alot that he will have to prove to me before saying "he should be good"
N Y K
RealGM
And1: 8,451

Post#463 » by N Y K » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:18 am

well at least the stage will be set for the year... team knox vs everyone else
Triple C
Knicks Forum The Good News
And1: 16,840

Post#464 » by Triple C » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:23 pm

Read on Twitter
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#465 » by Rasho Brezec » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:34 pm

Fran Fraschilla is right. You are what you guard. Doncic will be a point forward that handles playmaking duties.

Read on Twitter
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 15,967

Post#466 » by Wolfgang630 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:45 pm

KP is going to hopefully (Melo will be gone hoping) he is a first option player on the offense. He'll get to learn and see for next summer that he needs to have more of a post game.
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,663

Post#467 » by Fat » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:24 pm

i think sexton/kp could make a dynamic 1 2 punch on offense + Give us a lockdown backcourt with ntilkina/sexton. Knicks still need a guard that can apply pressure on offense and breakdown the defense, sexton is elite in this area and gets to the line frequently and can catch fire from outside. If he proves he can run an offense and become more disciplined he is my guy (outside of the top 5) even though i think he has a good shot at getting in there if things go well.
Miami Heat Baf

Fultz | NAW
Mitchell | Grimes
Trent Jr | DFS
Al Horford | Covington
Adams | Achiuwa
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#468 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:45 pm

Nyk_Fatboy wrote:i think sexton/kp could make a dynamic 1 2 punch on offense + Give us a lockdown backcourt with ntilkina/sexton. Knicks still need a guard that can apply pressure on offense and breakdown the defense, sexton is elite in this area and gets to the line frequently and can catch fire from outside. If he proves he can run an offense and become more disciplined he is my guy (outside of the top 5) even though i think he has a good shot at getting in there if things go well.

Sexton is going to rise I think on draft boards as the season progresses. He might be the most competitive player in the class, has shown he actually has good vision (even though he's a score-first PG), super athletic with fantastic body control, and he defends hard with super active hands and feet. I still have Doncic ahead of him, but you're spot on with him being a great fit for the team.

Sexton is IMO the guy who's probably going to "learn" the most this year from playing in college. MPJr will be given the keys from day 1 and will be allowed to do what he wants, Knox will be competing against other top guys every day in practice (but IMO he'll just be another cog in Cal's machine), and Ayton will just do what Ayton does. Sexton, on the other hand, will be coached by a super smart PG who was a great defender, a team first guy, super smart, and a great professional. Love his decision to go there. I've seen people question his shot, but his form is far from broken - he just needs more reps. I'd welcome him with open arms if Doncic isn't there when we pick.
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,663

Post#469 » by Fat » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:55 am

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Nyk_Fatboy wrote:i think sexton/kp could make a dynamic 1 2 punch on offense + Give us a lockdown backcourt with ntilkina/sexton. Knicks still need a guard that can apply pressure on offense and breakdown the defense, sexton is elite in this area and gets to the line frequently and can catch fire from outside. If he proves he can run an offense and become more disciplined he is my guy (outside of the top 5) even though i think he has a good shot at getting in there if things go well.

Sexton is going to rise I think on draft boards as the season progresses. He might be the most competitive player in the class, has shown he actually has good vision (even though he's a score-first PG), super athletic with fantastic body control, and he defends hard with super active hands and feet. I still have Doncic ahead of him, but you're spot on with him being a great fit for the team.

Sexton is IMO the guy who's probably going to "learn" the most this year from playing in college. MPJr will be given the keys from day 1 and will be allowed to do what he wants, Knox will be competing against other top guys every day in practice (but IMO he'll just be another cog in Cal's machine), and Ayton will just do what Ayton does. Sexton, on the other hand, will be coached by a super smart PG who was a great defender, a team first guy, super smart, and a great professional. Love his decision to go there. I've seen people question his shot, but his form is far from broken - he just needs more reps. I'd welcome him with open arms if Doncic isn't there when we pick.

yeah i like his competitiveness too, people say he's too emotional but it seems like thats part of his competitive drive. Heres one of his quotes “I like playing very emotionally,” he said. “I like playing defense. I don’t like anybody scoring on me, so, if I score on you, you’re not scoring on me.” thats another thing the knicks lack "emotion" knicks aint had any real intensity at point guard since john starks. sexton kind of reminds me of him how he wears his emotion on his sleeve i think he's built for new york

i like knox upside but i dont like he chose kentucky their stacked and young. His development will be interesting, cal got his work cut out for himself this season
Miami Heat Baf

Fultz | NAW
Mitchell | Grimes
Trent Jr | DFS
Al Horford | Covington
Adams | Achiuwa
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#470 » by IllmaticHandler » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:05 am

Nyk_Fatboy wrote:
Knickstape1214 wrote:

yeah i like his competitiveness too, people say he's too emotional but it seems like thats part of his competitive drive. Heres one of his quotes “I like playing very emotionally,” he said. “I like playing defense. I don’t like anybody scoring on me, so, if I score on you, you’re not scoring on me.” thats another thing the knicks lack "emotion" knicks aint had any real intensity at point guard since john starks. sexton kind of reminds me of him how he wears his emotion on his sleeve i think he's built for new york

i like knox upside but i dont like he chose kentucky their stacked and young. His development will be interesting, cal got his work cut out for himself this season

I know fox thought he was Goku.

But Nah. This is Goku....

xNewYorkMadex
General Manager
And1: 5,758

Post#471 » by xNewYorkMadex » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:20 am

Saw some videos of Luka, need to see more, only thing that concerns me with him is his ability to consistently penetrate and finish in the paint.

Seems very confident in his 3 ball. Love his playmaking ability as a SF/SG. Love his intelligence. But in order to be a perennial all-star, he needs to attack the rim more and get to the ft line. Want to see more of that.

As the tweet by Fran a couple of posts above mines, he need the PnR to get free. He isnt quick enough to just blow by guys 1 on 1. I'd look for him to try and develop the Kobe fadeaway in order to be effective in iso situations. He has the size, shot, and passing ability to have that in his arsenal.
Andrea Bargnani nYk 2013-2015
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,608

Post#472 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:05 pm

Bagley announcing decision tonight

11 pm eastern time on sports center
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
RealGM
And1: 39,071

Post#473 » by 2010 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:52 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:Bagley announcing decision tonight

:pray:

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
frothbrain
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,704

Post#474 » by frothbrain » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:02 pm

sexton = baron davis/steve francis/stephon marbury
N Y K
RealGM
And1: 8,451

Post#475 » by N Y K » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:55 pm

isn't mr knox the 4th guy in on this? lol... that laugh has me in tears right now...

Besart19
RealGM
And1: 3,959

Post#476 » by Besart19 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:04 am

what decision?!
Strength and Honour!
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#477 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:28 am

Besart19 wrote:

what decision?!

If he's gonna play this season and where he will play at

If he's playing this season, he might be the #1 prospect of the draft. So this is big for us
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
fatalogic
Veteran
And1: 2,147

Post#478 » by fatalogic » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:29 am

Doesn't the NCAA have to approve his reclassification first? I mean I hope it goes through because it gives us a better shot at some of the top talent but I don't want to get to excited especially if the NCAA can veto his decision.
Besart19
RealGM
And1: 3,959

Post#479 » by Besart19 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:32 am

3toheadmelo wrote:
Besart19 wrote:

what decision?!

If he's gonna play this season and where he will play at

If he's playing this season, he might be the #1 prospect of the draft. So this is big for us

With Melo out and THJ in, who you think is the better fit?

Porter Jr or Luka Doncic ?!
Strength and Honour!
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#480 » by 3toheadmelo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:33 am

fatalogic wrote:

Doesn't the NCAA have to approve his reclassification first? I mean I hope it goes through because it gives us a better shot at some of the top talent but I don't want to get to excited especially if the NCAA can veto his decision.

He's gonna announce it tonight if it went through

Return to New York Knicks