ImageImageImageImageImage

Official MMA discussion thread: UFC 231 Holloway vs Ortega finally!

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

bringbackhoffa
RealGM
And1: 5,039

Re: Official MMA discussion thread (UFC 214 pg 24) 

Post#601 » by bringbackhoffa » Sun Aug 6, 2017 4:34 pm

It's time for rashad to hang it up.

sent using the big baller brand phone
Charlotte Hornets 2024-25

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#602 » by HEZI » Sun Aug 6, 2017 4:43 pm

bringbackhoffa wrote:It's time for rashad to hang it up.

Seriously! When is the last time he won a fight? Feels like it's been a while. It's been downhill for him since he beat Dan Henderson
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
bringbackhoffa
RealGM

Post#603 » by bringbackhoffa » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:52 pm

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,435

Post#604 » by j4remi » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:05 pm

Rashad should retire and either transition to the network team (great personality for it) or build up a team from the Blackzillian ashes, I know a bunch of 'em moved on together so it'd be easy since he's always been a leader with them.

Jones being hurt is mindblowing, you would have never guessed. That's like Robert Whitaker fighting 4 round with Romero after his knee was shot in the first and winning.

finally...this kid is 18 and I need him to stick with MMA because he's 125 and would probably end up on a quick course for Kyoji Horiguchi aka my favorite 125'er. If not, he'll be killing people in Muay Thai for a very long time.

Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#605 » by br7knicks » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:44 pm

HEZI wrote:

Seriously! When is the last time he won a fight? Feels like it's been a while. It's been downhill for him since he beat Dan Henderson

rode an elevator with him, back when he had the eye infection. dude was really nice and took a picture with me.

that said, he needs to get out. can't really end on top at this point. maybe dana will throw him a bone and give him an easy last fight
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,310

Post#606 » by GEOLINK » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:53 pm

br7knicks wrote:
HEZI wrote:

rode an elevator with him, back when he had the eye infection. dude was really nice and took a picture with me.

that said, he needs to get out. can't really end on top at this point. maybe dana will throw him a bone and give him an easy last fight

Rashad vs. Punk
bringbackhoffa
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Official MMA discussion thread (UFC 214 pg 24) 

Post#607 » by bringbackhoffa » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:56 am

br7knicks wrote:
HEZI wrote:

His last fight was supposed to be the easy one... wouldn't mind just an old school grudge match between rashad and rampage if it's on a preliminary ppv or co-headlining a fight pass card

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#608 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:39 am

j4remi wrote:Rashad should retire and either transition to the network team (great personality for it) or build up a team from the Blackzillian ashes, I know a bunch of 'em moved on together so it'd be easy since he's always been a leader with them.

Jones being hurt is mindblowing, you would have never guessed. That's like Robert Whitaker fighting 4 round with Romero after his knee was shot in the first and winning.

finally...this kid is 18 and I need him to stick with MMA because he's 125 and would probably end up on a quick course for Kyoji Horiguchi aka my favorite 125'er. If not, he'll be killing people in Muay Thai for a very long time.

Wow! Not bad. :lol:

Kenny Florian said in a YT vid that Justin Gaethje would beat Khabib In a fight. I disagree because Justin's big weapon is that he can stand there and exchange with you and take more punishment than you until you wear down. That's when he finishes you. But Khabib is not going to stand there and exchange strikes. Any thought?
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#609 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:42 am

bringbackhoffa wrote:https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/8/10/16125834/jon-jones-arm-injury-ufc-214-fight-week-mike-winkeljohn-mma-news-daniel-cormier-light-heavyweight

now we know why he didnt take part in the open workouts..

Do you know if the fighters are permitted to take cortisone injections for injuries in order to fight? I would think not.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#610 » by j4remi » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:07 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Wow! Not bad. :lol:

Kenny Florian said in a YT vid that Justin Gaethje would beat Khabib In a fight. I disagree because Justin's big weapon is that he can stand there and exchange with you and take more punishment than you until you wear down. That's when he finishes you. But Khabib is not going to stand there and exchange strikes. Any thought?

I don't know what's up with Florian but he's got some of the strangest takes. Gaethje is a plodder and guys with much better footwork and grappling have been eaten alive by Khabib (Former champ RDA for example). If Gaethje has a worse match-up than Khabib, I'm not sure who it is...maybe Kevin Lee.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

bringbackhoffa
RealGM

Post#611 » by bringbackhoffa » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:19 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
bringbackhoffa wrote:https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/8/10/16125834/jon-jones-arm-injury-ufc-214-fight-week-mike-winkeljohn-mma-news-daniel-cormier-light-heavyweight

now we know why he didnt take part in the open workouts..

Do you know if the fighters are permitted to take cortisone injections for injuries in order to fight? I would think not.

i highly doubt it.

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

bringbackhoffa
RealGM

Post#612 » by bringbackhoffa » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:51 pm

GSP yesterday on the MMA Hour..Woodley/Maia fight wasn't the most entertaining fight, neither fighter went for it....i laughed when i heard him say that as i cant think of over his last 5-7 fights when he has ever gone for 'it'...

though he did say Woodley take down defense was impressive

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#613 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:59 pm

DC's first interview since the Jones 2 fight with Ariel Helwani. DC's not retiring. Says that there's a chance he could move up to heavyweight. Going to consider anything the UFC may have on the table for him if it makes sense. The organization has been very good to him. He has a family now and it seems he wants to make more money fighting. Says he thinks he and Jones could end up fighting a third time and he's up for that because Jones is the best and he sees himself better than Gustafson, Rumble and Volkan. I guess Volkan could be the next fight for DC. Either that or Volkan vs. Rumble. Gus and Jones should probably be next.

Thoughts?

bringbackhoffa
RealGM

Post#614 » by bringbackhoffa » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:03 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:DC's first interview since the Jones 2 fight with Ariel Helwani. DC's not retiring. Says that there's a chance he could move up to heavyweight. Going to consider anything the UFC may have on the table for him if it makes sense. The organization has been very good to him. He has a family now and it seems he wants to make more money fighting. Says he thinks he and Jones could end up fighting a third time and he's up for that because Jones is the best and he sees himself better than Gustafson, Rumble and Volkan. I guess Volkan could be the next fight for DC. Either that or Volkan vs. Rumble. Gus and Jones should probably be next.

Thoughts?

Only fight that Rumble comes back for is Jones. Rumble wont fight Volkan it appears they are actually close friends.

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#615 » by j4remi » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:04 pm

bringbackhoffa wrote:GSP yesterday on the MMA Hour..Woodley/Maia fight wasn't the most entertaining fight, neither fighter went for it....i laughed when i heard him say that as i cant think of over his last 5-7 fights when he has ever gone for 'it'...

I chuckled, but I got excited hearing him say Robert Whitaker gets the winner of the fight whether it's Bisping or GSP...GSP doesn't get to win and dash out of the division which is something I've been complaining about with some of the other divisions where guys are skipping weight classes or trying to for quick title shots (ie: GDR and then TJ Dillashaw).

Other news: Cory Anderson vs Patrick Cummins which has a legitimate chance of just being two wrestlers cancelling each others' base skills out (a la Davis vs Bader).

Poirier is getting Anthony Pettis next and that's a fight I can get behind. Diamond is all moxy but his risk taking means he gets KO'ed when he's reckless; Pettis is still an epic level striker who thrives when guys stand and bang (normally at least, some elites have gotten him most notably Max but also Edson Barboza). It's good to see Pettis not thrown at another constant wrestler.

Lastly, 12 seconds of sparring isn't enough to glean much but that was close to a Knockdown and in full speed I could see a ref scoring it that way. What is clear is that in the eleventh round, Conor looks really fresh which is something Paulie fronted about but he DOES assist the KD which is a legit complaint Paulie had.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

bringbackhoffa
RealGM

Post#616 » by bringbackhoffa » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:12 pm

j4remi wrote:
bringbackhoffa wrote:GSP yesterday on the MMA Hour..Woodley/Maia fight wasn't the most entertaining fight, neither fighter went for it....i laughed when i heard him say that as i cant think of over his last 5-7 fights when he has ever gone for 'it'...

I chuckled, but I got excited hearing him say Robert Whitaker gets the winner of the fight whether it's Bisping or GSP...GSP doesn't get to win and dash out of the division which is something I've been complaining about with some of the other divisions where guys are skipping weight classes or trying to for quick title shots (ie: GDR and then TJ Dillashaw).

Other news: Cory Anderson vs Patrick Cummins which has a legitimate chance of just being two wrestlers cancelling each others' base skills out (a la Davis vs Bader).

Poirier is getting Anthony Pettis next and that's a fight I can get behind. Diamond is all moxy but his risk taking means he gets KO'ed when he's reckless; Pettis is still an epic level striker who thrives when guys stand and bang (normally at least, some elites have gotten him most notably Max but also Edson Barboza). It's good to see Pettis not thrown at another constant wrestler.

Lastly, 12 seconds of sparring isn't enough to glean much but that was close to a Knockdown and in full speed I could see a ref scoring it that way. What is clear is that in the eleventh round, Conor looks really fresh which is something Paulie fronted about but he DOES assist the KD which is a legit complaint Paulie had.

i highly doubt he will end up fighting Whitaker.. i assume he will suffer an 'injury' or complain about the weight and go back down to 170 or get ready for a McGregor match-up. Only reason i want Bisping to lose is because it will set up a Romero match-up, and the Whitaker can go on to face Rockhold or Wideman

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#617 » by j4remi » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:23 pm

bringbackhoffa wrote:i highly doubt he will end up fighting Whitaker.. i assume he will suffer an 'injury' or complain about the weight and go back down to 170 or get ready for a McGregor match-up. Only reason i want Bisping to lose is because it will set up a Romero match-up, and the Whitaker can go on to face Rockhold or Wideman

He has a contractual obligation and Woodley's past two performances have devalued him. The UFC is gonna want a different fight for a big draw like GSP and he put the ball in their court. A McGregor fight might change everything but the logistics on that are just really tricky so it's hard to picture. Whitaker isn't a big 185'er either, he was a 170 lbs. fighter and got absolutely washed by Wonderboy and lost to Court McGee; so there's some precedent for lighter faster fighters giving Whitaker fits.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#618 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:53 pm

j4remi wrote:
bringbackhoffa wrote:i highly doubt he will end up fighting Whitaker.. i assume he will suffer an 'injury' or complain about the weight and go back down to 170 or get ready for a McGregor match-up. Only reason i want Bisping to lose is because it will set up a Romero match-up, and the Whitaker can go on to face Rockhold or Wideman

He has a contractual obligation and Woodley's past two performances have devalued him. The UFC is gonna want a different fight for a big draw like GSP and he put the ball in their court. A McGregor fight might change everything but the logistics on that are just really tricky so it's hard to picture. Whitaker isn't a big 185'er either, he was a 170 lbs. fighter and got absolutely washed by Wonderboy and lost to Court McGee; so there's some precedent for lighter faster fighters giving Whitaker fits.

Speaking of Thompson, what's up for him next?
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#619 » by j4remi » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:00 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Speaking of Thompson, what's up for him next?

I've read that they're still pressing to get him vs Masvidal in by 217. I'd assume a conclusive win would be all he'd need to lock up the next shot at Woodley. But they gotta actually make the fight, been rumored for too long at this point.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

bringbackhoffa
RealGM

Post#620 » by bringbackhoffa » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:33 pm

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Speaking of Thompson, what's up for him next?

I've read that they're still pressing to get him vs Masvidal in by 217. I'd assume a conclusive win would be all he'd need to lock up the next shot at Woodley. But they gotta actually make the fight, been rumored for too long at this point.

Yea, i think Wonderboy is trying to negotiate his fight against Masividal to be a 'number 1 contender' fight, and also trying to get more money.

UFC 217 at MSG looks like will be loaded with
GSP Bisping (title)
Joanna Namajunas (title)
Dillawshaw Garbrandt (title)
Cyborg Holm (title)
Wonderboy Masvida (#1 contender)

id assume hollaway v edgar gets pushed to December card once Hollaway gets paid

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

Return to New York Knicks