Which team won the Kyrie Irving trade? 

Post#1 » by RealGM Polls » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:34 pm

1. Cavaliers
2. Celtics
colaroaster
Sixth Man
And1: 796
Location: jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge

Re: Which team won the Kyrie Irving trade? 

Post#2 » by colaroaster » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:01 am

brooklyns pick was a dagger
jp morgan, rockefellers, rothschild, vanderbilt, danny ainge
Dlemma
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#3 » by Dlemma » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:59 am

It all comes down to Thomas' hip. If he has even close to the same type of season as last year, Cleveland definitely won the trade. A fair deal would have been a 2nd rounder instead of Brooklyn's first, but I imagine Ainge didn't want to risk losing out on Iriving like he did George and Butler by offering too little. That said...Boston's roster is looking very deep. If they sign a Reggie Evans-type as backup PF, this team is looking SET

Irving/Rozier
Brown/Smart
Hayward/Tatum
Morris
Horford/Baynes
phalstaph
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#4 » by phalstaph » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:32 pm

if the pick is a #4 it won't look bad. the age of irving and his skill makes it a hard trade to pass up. If boston tosses the games angainst the nets it can really drop the odds of getting the #1 pick. would have rather given the lakers pick and the grizzlies pick but it's done and this team could be good for a long time. Al is great all around player and they have lots of young talent.
ball_dont_lie23
Freshman
And1: 25

Post#5 » by ball_dont_lie23 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:37 pm

good trade for both teams. celtics still need a big man though
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#6 » by fuller4379 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:10 pm

Kind of hard to tell until next year. The Celtics should have made the Brooklyn pick top 3 protected.
TheRealKaboom
Sixth Man
And1: 1,716

Post#7 » by TheRealKaboom » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:58 pm

If the Celtics just kept the #1 pick and drafted Lonzo Ball, this trade never would have been necessary. Ainge messed up.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#8 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:16 am

[quote="phalstaph":****]if the pick is a #4 it won't look bad. the age of irving and his skill makes it a hard trade to pass up. If boston tosses the games angainst the nets it can really drop the odds of getting the #1 pick. would have rather given the lakers pick and the grizzlies pick but it's done and this team could be good for a long time. Al is great all around player and they have lots of young talent.[/quote:****]
Boston isn't tossing any games.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#9 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:33 am

I voted that the Cavs won the trade. They had their backs against a wall and somehow managed to get two quality starters in exchange for 1. (3 if they pick well.) This was a bigger haul than I expected them to get.

But from the other point of view:
The Nets should be better this year and have no motivation to lose. I expect the pick to be around 5 or 6. If they can trade some of their guard depth for some size they may get into the late lottery. Add to that the fact that Thomas will always be 5' 9", relies on his quickness, is coming back from a serious injury and will soon be overpaid or leaving.
boston_fan_ct
Sophomore
And1: 23

Post#10 » by boston_fan_ct » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:58 pm

Kyrie is the best player in the deal. Plugging Kyrie in place of Isaiah makes the Celtics better. And no disrespect to Crowder, while is a really good player he is replaceable, and they cashed in on the pick to get Kyrie. My brain tells me good move, my heart on the other hand is torn.
Dlemma
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#11 » by Dlemma » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:03 pm

boston_fan_ct wrote:Kyrie is the best player in the deal. Plugging Kyrie in place of Isaiah makes the Celtics better. And no disrespect to Crowder, while is a really good player he is replaceable, and they cashed in on the pick to get Kyrie. My brain tells me good move, my heart on the other hand is torn.

I agree. It sounds like most people are not taking into account that Crowder is solid, but Brown isn't that far off from being better IMO. Getting Crowder out of there speeds along the development of Brown and Tatum
Milo1661
Freshman
And1: 9

Post#12 » by Milo1661 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:16 am

The Cavs are now done, at least for this era, so if they won this trade it'll be their last big win for a while
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#13 » by hyberx » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:21 am

No way Cavs won this trade. Now they are stuck with the decision to overpaid the 5.9 defensive liability IT into his 30s or let him walk. The nets pick likely won't even be top 5. Crowder is okay. All of these won't be enough to make LBJ stay, so that is a big loss next year. Meanwhile, Cavs' competition just got a whole lot tougher with Kyrie on the Celtics, which is set for years to come with their core and young prospects. Once LBJ jumps ship again Cavs will get spank around by the Celtics just like they did the other way around these last few years. It's all Celtics win on this trade.
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#14 » by EddieJonesFan » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:49 pm

Celtics simply because of Irving's age and him being a no-brainer re-sign. IT puts you in a bind with his pending FA and age/injuries. If it wasn't for that, then I'd definitely say Cavs since they got some great assets in Crowder, Zizic, and a 1st.
4theland4ever
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#15 » by 4theland4ever » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:20 am

Milo1661 wrote:The Cavs are now done, at least for this era, so if they won this trade it'll be their last big win for a while

Really????? The Celtics have lost their three best defenders (Avery, Olynik, and Crowder) and they only have FOUR players coming back from last year's team. Who is going to play defense now??? Irving? Hayward? Morris? Horford??? PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!! Not one of them plays even "adequate" defense. IF....and we'll see how healthy he is.....IT comes back healthy along with Crowder and armed with a pick that could be a top three pick how can you say the Celtics are better????? Now what the Celtics are looking at is if this trade falls through they have TWO players (Thomas and Crowder) who will have major attitude issues for being shipped out (especially the one who said he wanted to be a Celtic for life). Good luck with that.
NormanDale
Rookie
And1: 629

Post#16 » by NormanDale » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:59 pm

4theland4ever wrote:
Milo1661 wrote:The Cavs are now done, at least for this era, so if they won this trade it'll be their last big win for a while

Really????? The Celtics have lost their three best defenders (Avery, Olynik, and Crowder) and they only have FOUR players coming back from last year's team. Who is going to play defense now??? Irving? Hayward? Morris? Horford??? PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!! Not one of them plays even "adequate" defense. IF....and we'll see how healthy he is.....IT comes back healthy along with Crowder and armed with a pick that could be a top three pick how can you say the Celtics are better????? Now what the Celtics are looking at is if this trade falls through they have TWO players (Thomas and Crowder) who will have major attitude issues for being shipped out (especially the one who said he wanted to be a Celtic for life). Good luck with that.

Wait, what? Did I read correctly that you consider Kelly freaking Olynyk to be a better defender than Marcus Smart?

I picked the Cavs as clear winners of this trade, but come on. This is just silly.
Hear you tell it, man I'm fallin/Well somebody must have caught him/Cause every fourth quarter/I like to Mike Jordan 'em.

"I think you'll find that these are the exact same dimensions as our gym back at Hickory."
PerfectJab
Veteran
And1: 1,354

Post#17 » by PerfectJab » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:56 pm

Pretty good haul if you ask me given that Irving made it clear to the team, and the public for that matter, that he wanted to be traded.

You get a borderline allstar and a very solid role player on reasonable contracts for the now and top 5 lottery pick for the future.

The team is better than it was for sure.
Andy123
Pro Prospect
And1: 312

Post#18 » by Andy123 » Mon Oct 9, 2017 2:28 am

Celtics. .. but depends if Isaiah came back at same level I like Isaiah but doubtful he will at preinjury form.
So I bet Celtics win the trade
I enjoy contributing ideas in a discussion towatds a solution , not interested in debates or arguments.

Return to Polls Discussion