Mavericks 2017 Off-season

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Re: Mavericks 2017 Off-season 

Post#1081 » by 2011Champs » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:48 pm

Mr B wrote:
Hadley wrote:We need to pull a Sixers in the next few Years and try to get as many young Assets and Picks as possible. Then in like 3-5 Years when the Warriors break up we should have a solid core and can start to compete again.

There is really no reason to even try to be good. Unless we get LeBron and Curry together we wont even be close to a Championship and all we do is **** make our pick worse!

You obviously still want to show the young Kids to compete and play good Teambasketball, so they dont fall into bad habbits but trading for veterans is a really bad idea. And giving up draftpicks is a absolute no-go!

I want no part of being like the Sixers. They have been rebuilding since Iverson left. The culture they have established by the constant tanking has ruined any chance they had to be a good team.
I agree 100%.

The 76ers should be an example why multiple year ranking is not the way to build a team. I was fine "tanking" for the last part of last season but I'm strongly against a decade or more of horrible basketball for the extremely slim chance of finding a superstar in the draft.

Mavs should build the team through:

-free agency

-taking the draft seriously and not trading away picks for mediocre talent. No wasted picks on 9ft tall Indians or trading down to save a few dollars.

-continue to use a few roster spots to tryout undrafted talent both American and International

-being opportunistic on trades

This is a well rounded approach to building a team without decades of bad basketball.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#1082 » by Mr B » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:36 pm

2011Champs wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Hadley wrote:We need to pull a Sixers in the next few Years and try to get as many young Assets and Picks as possible. Then in like 3-5 Years when the Warriors break up we should have a solid core and can start to compete again.

There is really no reason to even try to be good. Unless we get LeBron and Curry together we wont even be close to a Championship and all we do is **** make our pick worse!

You obviously still want to show the young Kids to compete and play good Teambasketball, so they dont fall into bad habbits but trading for veterans is a really bad idea. And giving up draftpicks is a absolute no-go!

I want no part of being like the Sixers. They have been rebuilding since Iverson left. The culture they have established by the constant tanking has ruined any chance they had to be a good team.
I agree 100%.

The 76ers should be an example why multiple year ranking is not the way to build a team. I was fine "tanking" for the last part of last season but I'm strongly against a decade or more of horrible basketball for the extremely slim chance of finding a superstar in the draft.

-free agency

-taking the draft seriously and not trading away picks for mediocre talent. No wasted picks on 9ft tall Indians or trading down to save a few dollars.

-continue to use a few roster spots to tryout undrafted talent both American and International

This is a well rounded approach to building a team without decades of bad basketball.

I agree. With all the young guys on this roster the last thing you want to teach them is how to be losers.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#1083 » by Pinkyring » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:51 pm

Mr B wrote:
2011Champs wrote:
Mr B wrote:
I agree 100%.

-free agency

I agree. With all the young guys on this roster the last thing you want to teach them is how to be losers.

We need to be bad one more season, we dont have an A level star we dont even have a b leave all star, we need to try one more time and see what we can get next draft. I like barnes and noel but they arent franchise players and if this league is nothing else its about stars we dont have one. Hope fully dsj can be that but even if he's batman we still need a robin
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#1084 » by Roddy B for 3 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:02 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Mr B wrote:
2011Champs wrote:I agree 100%.

-free agency

We need to be bad one more season, we dont have an A level star we dont even have a b leave all star, we need to try one more time and see what we can get next draft. I like barnes and noel but they arent franchise players and if this league is nothing else its about stars we dont have one. Hope fully dsj can be that but even if he's batman we still need a robin

Iwant to go '04 Pistons style
DSJ = Big Shot Billups, scorer who is firstly a floor general
HB = Rip Hamilton, leading scorer (on designed plays)
Nerlens Noel = (poor nans) Ben Wallace (by way of a DPOY)
?? = Glue = Tay
?? = super talented, two way player = 'Sheed

Basically, F tanking. Let's try to win games gosh darn it. If we get mathematically eliminated, tank, tank hard, tank blatantly. Then trade a future, lotto protected 1st a couple seconds and Wes + Powell in a Julius Randale + KCP sign and trade + resign Curry and Yogi.
Noel/Dirk/Salah/Randale
Randale/HB/DFS
HB/KCP/DFS
KCP/Curry
DSJ/Yogi/Barea/Curry
H.C. Rick Carlise
#post Dirk future isn't so bad
#shocked I said that
#Joe Johnson era Atlanta would be the third best run in Maverick history
#please don't make me relive the '90's
#DSJ 4 HOF
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#1085 » by Mr B » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:00 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
Mr B wrote:

?? = Glue = Tay

Basically, F tanking. Let's try to win games gosh darn it. If we get mathematically eliminated, tank, tank hard, tank blatantly. Then trade a future, lotto protected 1st a couple seconds and Wes + Powell in a Julius Randale + KCP sign and trade + resign Curry and Yogi.
Noel/Dirk/Salah/Randale
Randale/HB/DFS
HB/KCP/DFS
KCP/Curry
DSJ/Yogi/Barea/Curry
H.C. Rick Carlise
#post Dirk future isn't so bad
#shocked I said that
#Joe Johnson era Atlanta would be the third best run in Maverick history
#please don't make me relive the '90's
#DSJ 4 HOF

The Lakers will likely prefer to just let Randle and KCP walk. They are going to need all their cap space to make a run at Lebron and Paul George. From what I've heard they are gearing up to potentially go after 3 max players.
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#1086 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:00 pm

See that this thread is fairly active with Mavs fans, and just wanted to ask if you'd mind giving your opinion to the "YOU are Cuban" thread posted earlier.
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#1087 » by JamesConway » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:23 pm

Mavs have signed 26 year old PG Maalik Wayns. Roster now up to 19 players if we're counting Noel:

PG: Smith | Ferrell | Barea | Wayns
SG: Matthews | Curry | Harris | Clavell
SF: Barnes | Finney-Smith | Dozier
PF: Nowitzki | Kleber | McRoberts | Motley
C: Noel | Mejri | Powell | Ashley

One more spot available to get up to 20 players for training camp.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#1088 » by arkuo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:30 am

Malik Wayns is a 26 year old JJ Barea in my opinion. Runs really fast from end to end. Loves to drive and dish, and plays good D.

With that I think JJ will be gone next year. If Clavell and Dozier do good, that should spell the end of Devin Harris in a Mavs uniform too.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#1089 » by arkuo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:25 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:
?? = Glue = Tay

At this point I think our best case scenario here would be to play like Denver.

Iverson / Melo / K-Mart = DSJ / Barnes / Noel

And that's really pushing it.
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#1090 » by Darren » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:46 pm

I could see a deal around Matthews for Waiters and filler. Matthews gives them a 2-way players for playoff. Meanwhile, Waiters gives us youth in the backcourt. He's semi-proven skill-wise despite some attitude concerns. That's a good reclamation project for future sake.
2011Champs
General Manager

Post#1091 » by 2011Champs » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:26 pm

Mavs signed center Jeff Withey. Hammons replacement I assume?
bobsquad
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#1092 » by bobsquad » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:16 pm

2011Champs wrote:Mavs signed center Jeff Withey. Hammons replacement I assume?

Can't have a major problem with this signing if it's just a camp deal (though maybe it's guaranteed?), but why use a roster spot on another low-ceiling center? Don't Withey's strengths overlap with Mejri's? The podcast-wizened offseason analyst in me is screaming "but what about the wing depth?"

On the bright side, Withey is probably a better offensive rebounder than anyone we have on the team now, so that fills a major need. He's also a respectable free throw shooter. Mejri is a character and a fan favorite, but he's also not good enough to go without competition. Withey could be marginally better than Mejri on offense. Advanced stats have good things to say about Withey, though it's worth noting that almost his entire career has been garbage time.

I always hope for late offseason signings to be like Al-Farouq Aminu, JJ Barea, and DeJuan Blair. This one is far less inspiring. (And what about the wing depth??)
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#1093 » by Darren » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:23 pm

2011Champs wrote:Mavs signed center Jeff Withey. Hammons replacement I assume?

Underrated move. He worths every dollar on veteran minimum contract. He could be a long-term replacement to Mejri who'll probably let go after this contract given the direction of the team. Hopefully, he create an intense competition and make Noel look foolish in case the latter takes QO. He's 26 and averages 12 PPG, 10 RPG, 2.7 BPG per 36 minutes behind Rudy Gobert. As a backup to Gobert, I can understand why he only averages 8.5 min per game. On a rental deal, he's every intention to prove his worth. I think he's better than Alex Len. As a backup C, he's a perfect fit money-wise. So the Mavs roster is set unless someone squeeze Kleber or McRoberts from 15th spot.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#1094 » by Roddy B for 3 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:58 pm

If Dallas ends up picking 8-12 next year and Kevin Love becomes available would you trade Powell + DFS + #8-12 2018 1st rounder for KevinLove?

2018 Mavs
Noel/Nowitzki/Mejri
Love/Motley
Barnes/Ashley
Matthews/Curry
DSJ/Ferrell/Barea
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
2011Champs
General Manager

Post#1095 » by 2011Champs » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:48 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:If Dallas ends up picking 8-12 next year and Kevin Love becomes available would you trade Powell + DFS + #8-12 2018 1st rounder for KevinLove?

2018 Mavs
Noel/Nowitzki/Mejri
Love/Motley
Barnes/Ashley
Matthews/Curry
DSJ/Ferrell/Barea

I'd definitely trade for Love. I've always thought he'd fit well here in Dallas.
He is a bit older than I'd like however if Smith Jr is the real deal I'm wanting to compete at the highest level immediately.

Best of all,this puts the poor rebounding Barnes back to SF where he belongs. We need a PF that can rebound.

The fans here that have championship tunnel vision will hate the idea, but the fans like me that will be happy with a fun and entertaining winning regular seasons with playoff appearances should like this trade.

Porzingis would be my ultimate target but that is a long shot with Phil Jackson gone.I think Cuban could have secretly paid Phil Jackson several million under the table to trade Porzingis to Dallas. Yeah, my illegal conspiracy theory, Lol
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#1096 » by Pinkyring » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:14 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:If Dallas ends up picking 8-12 next year and Kevin Love becomes available would you trade Powell + DFS + #8-12 2018 1st rounder for KevinLove?

2018 Mavs
Noel/Nowitzki/Mejri
Love/Motley
Barnes/Ashley
Matthews/Curry
DSJ/Ferrell/Barea

Negative, love will be 30 starting next season and on an expiring contract im good moving lotto picks for under 30 guys
arkuo
General Manager

Post#1097 » by arkuo » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:22 pm

2018 Mavs
Noel/Nowitzki/Mejri
Love/Motley
Barnes/Ashley
Matthews/Curry
DSJ/Ferrell/Barea

Hamidou Diallo seems like a good prospect to get at 8-12. I'd let Matthews walk after his contract expires if we draft him though.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 845

Post#1098 » by Teffer10 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:44 pm

2018 Mavs
Noel/Nowitzki/Mejri
Love/Motley
Barnes/Ashley
Matthews/Curry
DSJ/Ferrell/Barea

Mixed feelings about that trade.
Barnes,Noel and Love would be a nice 3/4/5 chemistry but I don't think I'd make that trade unless we take a major step forward as a team this year.
Love is the type of player you go after when you are a piece away from seriously contending.
I see us about 3 or 4 years from being at that stage so I'd have to pass on that trade.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#1099 » by Pointguard01 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:37 pm

Teffer10 wrote:

2018 Mavs
Noel/Nowitzki/Mejri
Love/Motley
Barnes/Ashley
Matthews/Curry
DSJ/Ferrell/Barea

Mixed feelings about that trade.
Barnes,Noel and Love would be a nice 3/4/5 chemistry but I don't think I'd make that trade unless we take a major step forward as a team this year.
Love is the type of player you go after when you are a piece away from seriously contending.
I see us about 3 or 4 years from being at that stage so I'd have to pass on that trade.

Yeah, Love doesn't make sense. He could start declining in 2 years relatively easily. I really think Dallas should be trading expirings in 2018 to pick up draft assets in 2018. Then have 4 prospects to go into the 2019 offseason and try to get a large fish in FA.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#1100 » by JamesConway » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:57 pm

Kyler re Iman Shumpert:

Read on Twitter

Return to Dallas Mavericks