ImageImage

Welcome to ATL John Collins!

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Re: Welcome to ATL John Collins! 

Post#101 » by MaceCase » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:21 pm

Spud2nique wrote:Why is Ingram so offended? Lol...It's not like defense of blocking shots is his forte. Shove it down his throat JC!!! :-)

That screenshot is disrespectful in all the greatest ways, not surprised that Ingram would feel some type of way :lol: .
Collins will be baptizing quite a few wayward souls this season though.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,468

Post#102 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:09 am

Read on Twitter
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#103 » by Spud2nique » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:05 pm

By the way, I'm tired of these so called eggspurts saying that Collins has " broken jumper". No he doesn't! It's like one stupid scout says something and from then on the kid is labeled. I think his stroke looks damn good from outside. By the way I'm just discussing the look of the shot, not the %'s. He's gonna shut those guys up that say he can't shoot from outside early on in my opinion. I'm talking out to 20 feet in year one and expanding to Pero Antic territory in year 2. Who knows though, Bud might have him popping 3's from the get go.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#104 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:09 pm

Read on Twitter

There is no assurance that the first round pick will immediately join the rotation for the Atlanta Hawks but, if given the opportunity, Collins appears quite eager to take full advantage of it.

In fact, Collins indicates that the Hawks are giving him “free rein” to operate in a more expansive way.

There is a bit of a log-jam developing in the frontcourt for Atlanta, so Collins doesn’t have the breezy pathway to playing time that was once evident. Dewayne Dedmon, Mike Muscala and Ersan Ilyasova are penciled in with prominent frontcourt roles and even the addition of Luke Babbitt and the presence of veteran center Miles Plumlee could take away some immediate playing time from Collins.

John Collins wrote:My ability to play off the pick-and-roll, open plays for other guys and use my athletic body to catch lobs, that's what I do every night. They are giving me free rein to do all that.

...Since I don't get to learn from Paul [Millsap], I have to go out there and earn my minutes and prove [myself] to my coaching staff. It's an opportunity there for me to [go] get.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#105 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:15 pm

Read on Twitter

&

Read on Twitter
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#106 » by Spud2nique » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:28 pm

One of the best careers? I'll take it :-)
macd-gm
Starter
And1: 2,515

Post#107 » by macd-gm » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:43 pm

I'm excited for Collins but also ready to see Dennis Smith Jr. in action.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,913

Post#108 » by jayu70 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:39 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#109 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:45 pm

Read on Twitter

Brad Rowland: I really, really hope Collins is a part of the rotation from Opening Night.

Graham Chapple: I’m hoping he’ll be starting on opening night

Greg Willis:...I expect to see John Collins start and play 20+ minutes per game from the beginning of the season.

Jeff Siegel: Once January rolls around, he’ll be getting consistent minutes, but it would surprise me to see him on the floor for significant time before that point

RedRev: There is no bigger fan or driver of the Collins Train than me...but, if he starts on more than a semi-regular basis, this team will be awful.

Thomas Jenkins:...I’d say that he would see limited playing time at first, followed by a steady increase of minutes as the season goes on.
macd-gm
Starter

Post#110 » by macd-gm » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:23 pm

Who are some recent rookies who started from game 1 of their rookie season? That's got to be pretty rare. Especially outside of the top 3 picks.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#111 » by jayu70 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:29 pm

macd-gm wrote:Who are some recent rookies who started from game 1 of their rookie season? That's got to be pretty rare. Especially outside of the top 3 picks.

Not many I can think of off hand.
I said before I think guys like Illyasova, Moose, Dedmon, Baze etc. will playe early and often to showcase them for possible trades. After the trade deadline, if they are still on the roster they will see reduced minutes as the young guys are featured so Schlenk and Bud can see what we have and who to target at the draft.
macd-gm
Starter

Post#112 » by macd-gm » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:54 pm

jayu70 wrote:
macd-gm wrote:Who are some recent rookies who started from game 1 of their rookie season? That's got to be pretty rare. Especially outside of the top 3 picks.

I said before I think guys like Illyasova, Moose, Dedmon, Baze etc. will playe early and often to showcase them for possible trades. After the trade deadline, if they are still on the roster they will see reduced minutes as the young guys are featured so Schlenk and Bud can see what we have and who to target at the draft.

I agree 100%. For some reason i'm still seeing writers who think Bud will be trying to win every game at all cost. It's just crazy that they don't think he understands the bigger picture.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#113 » by jayu70 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:07 pm

macd-gm wrote:
jayu70 wrote:

I agree 100%. For some reason i'm still seeing writers who think Bud will be trying to win every game at all cost. It's just crazy that they don't think he understands the bigger picture.

Yep.
With young players you want solid vets that can play the way coach wants them to play, help the younguns develop good habits etc. - that's part of the learning process. Having D-League players like Philly did who were only interested in playing to stay in the NBA stunts the development of the young players.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#114 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:22 pm

jayu70 wrote:Yep.
With young players you want solid vets that can play the way coach wants them to play, help the younguns develop good habits etc. - that's part of the learning process. Having D-League players like Philly did who were only interested in playing to stay in the NBA stunts the development of the young players.

1000% agree.

Kids need structure. Just throwing out 5 young players with undefined roles and limited practice time would be straight chaos.

Somebody has to set screens, and box out, and play unselfish team defense. Blue collar vets are hugely necessary to set a tone on developing these types of good habits.
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#115 » by Spud2nique » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:44 pm

jayu70 wrote:
macd-gm wrote:
jayu70 wrote:Not many I can think of off hand.

Yep.

That's why I think the Kings also finally woke up. I don't know if they got somebody new in the front office or what but they got Fox, Jackson, Giles and Mason...picks that were actually good for once, then they get Zbo, Carter and George Hill to mentor them. Great idea!

The only downside about the vets being on a young squad is the extra wins they will add. I'm all for starting the young guys initially, let them get a taste and let us lose like 20/25 games...then play the vets a bit more in late December through early February to showcase them, then immediate flip them for assets and start the young guys again until the end of the season.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#116 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:58 pm

Read on Twitter

Antonio McDyess may be the perfect comparison for Collins. McDyess was a 6’9″ power forward who had a nose for the basketball on the offensive end. Before a knee injury in 2003, McDyess averaged at least 20 PPG twice and averaged a double-double twice. He averaged 15.6 PPG and 7.5 RPG his first 3 years in the NBA.

What is John Collins’ best skill? He’s an athletic, high-effort rim-runner. In watching his college highlights, one will see the most is Collins’ running the floor hard for a quick dunk or deep post-up. He has shown good effort on the offensive glass. Besides that, he has a knack for scoring the basketball. He has shown a little bit of a face-up game and an improved jump shot in summer league.

This is easily the most apt comparison I've seen for what Collins is and likely will be. And that's a pretty good player to have on your squad.

16ppg and 8rpg sounds about right for what to expect from the young fella, similar to McDyess early in his career.

NOTE: The David Lee comparison makes 0 sense...
Spud2nique
General Manager

Post#117 » by Spud2nique » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:34 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Antonio McDyess may be the perfect comparison for Collins. McDyess was a 6’9″ power forward who had a nose for the basketball on the offensive end. Before a knee injury in 2003, McDyess averaged at least 20 PPG twice and averaged a double-double twice. He averaged 15.6 PPG and 7.5 RPG his first 3 years in the NBA.

What is John Collins’ best skill? He’s an athletic, high-effort rim-runner. In watching his college highlights, one will see the most is Collins’ running the floor hard for a quick dunk or deep post-up. He has shown good effort on the offensive glass. Besides that, he has a knack for scoring the basketball. He has shown a little bit of a face-up game and an improved jump shot in summer league.

This is easily the most apt comparison I've seen for what Collins is and likely will be. And that's a pretty good player to have on your squad.

16ppg and 8rpg sounds about right for what to expect from the young fella, simialr to McDyess early in his career.

NOTE: The David Lee comparison makes 0 sense...

I said this before on a different site...but I think Laphonso Ellis is a better comparison...more similar physically as well. Collins has a smoother jump shot though as I remember the Fonz having a funky high release on his shot. But I can totally see the Ant Mac comparison as well. Antonio was all machismo and Collins got that swag too IMHO.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#118 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:42 pm

Read on Twitter

Reason for doubt

A year ago, John Collins had finished a quiet freshman season (7.3 points, 3.9 rebounds per game) off the NBA radar.

Last season, he led the nation in player efficiency rating, though he was still the eighth big drafted—behind Jonathan Isaac, Lauri Markkanen, Zach Collins, Bam Adebayo, Justin Patton, D.J. Wilson and T.J. Leaf.

Falling behind that many bigs and dropping outside the lottery doesn't bode well for stellar projections. That said...

Why he'll exceed expectations

Collins is a good bet to finish his rookie season as the most productive of that bunch.

The Atlanta Hawks have a better shot at winning the lottery than competing in the playoffs. Collins is already the most exciting big in an Ersan Ilyasova-Dewayne Dedmon-led frontcourt. His development should be the priority for coaches.

He'll have the chance to play significant minutes and through mistakes.

Even without proven shooting range or refined one-on-one skills, his explosive athleticism and motor should continue leading to easy baskets (62.2 percent FG at Wake Forest in 2016-17) and rebounds (14.8 per 40 minutes). Collins averaged 15.4 points and 9.2 boards per game on 59.3 percent shooting in the summer league, so that didn't appear overly challenging for him, either.

With good timing as a roll man and cutter and the coordination to catch and finish in traffic, he should give Dennis Schroder a needed weapon in the two-man game.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#119 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Sep 5, 2017 3:37 pm

Read on Twitter

Content...so much new content!!!
macd-gm
Starter

Post#120 » by macd-gm » Tue Sep 5, 2017 4:13 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

Content...so much new content!!!

One thing i can tell from this video is that JC knows what time it is.

Return to Atlanta Hawks