ImageImageImage

Mavericks 2017 Off-season

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Re: Mavericks 2017 Off-season 

Post#1121 » by Roddy B for 3 » Wed Sep 6, 2017 4:43 pm

GimmeDat wrote:Hey guys, intrigued to ask, have you found that the changing needs of front-court players in the modern NBA have changed Dirk's effectiveness between the 4 and 5 positions?

(i.e. smaller, mobile PF's making him struggle at the 4 defensively, need for spacing making him more viable at the 5, etc.)

Old man Dirk is a 5. Current (really old) Dirk is a 6th man Center. Prime Dirk is a 4 and dictates the matchups (unless Avery is the coach). Young Dirk is a 3/4/5.

He will play (probably) most of this year at his traditional PF position. He'll probably defend mostly the way you would expect an immobile 5 to.

Dirk's age has affected his effectiveness more than small ball. I do think this current version of Dirk would be more effective ten years ago. His decline is 99% age 1% league changing.. Maybe.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Darren
RealGM
And1: 823

Post#1122 » by Darren » Fri Sep 8, 2017 6:28 am

Adam Silver really hates Mark Cuban. He first reacts to the division / conference problem with no reform. And now he reacts to tanking with lottery reform. When will he get fired?
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#1123 » by Roddy B for 3 » Fri Sep 8, 2017 9:54 pm

The freaking Mavs suck. What was the point of this offseason? To NOT overpay Nerlens Noel, to take BPA at pick #9 and to sign foreign players who noone has heard of to the lowest amount possible???? I mean seriously, we did that last year and a guy who showed promise, Brussino gets cut this offseason? Wtf?

Our big FA acquisition was a 7' white stiff and a guy we had labeled our Center of the future doesn't get his max deal. Even tho we threatend anyone we would pay him that, I get it cold hard business. Idk man why be a fan of this team? We should 100% be a team that operates over the cap. That is where all of our success has always been and is the best way to win.

The rules put in place allow over the cap teams extra advantages. We've been so good at that for so long I can only think the reason we aren't going that way is due to Cubans lack of attention to the team.

I'm coming to appreciate Galloway's old saying, "Dirk saves all butts" more and more.

Why be a fan of a team that's primary decision maker (and man who personally finacially profits off of my investment in the team), Cuban no longer focuses on the design of the team even as much as I?
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#1124 » by arkuo » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:30 pm

Interesting turn of events. what we lose (possibly) in Nerlens Noel in unrestricted free agency, we may gain back in Joel Embiid or Jabari Parker (should their respective teams not pay them a max contract).

At this point, Jabari Parker looks really interesting for the Mavs. Possible Dirk replacement at the 4.
Darren
RealGM

Post#1125 » by Darren » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:41 pm

arkuo wrote:Interesting turn of events. what we lose (possibly) in Nerlens Noel in unrestricted free agency, we may gain back in Joel Embiid or Jabari Parker (should their respective teams not pay them a max contract).

At this point, Jabari Parker looks really interesting for the Mavs. Possible Dirk replacement at the 4.

I am plause on the fit with Parker. He's short PF with low rebounding average. I wonder if he cancels out Harrison Barnes fitting alongside each other. And he's also a major injury risk. If he wants more than 20, why don't we just give Noel then? At least, Noel plays one of the most difficult position in the game. I know Parker average 20 per game. But is that what we need with the cap space. I don't think we want him as long as Barnes is on the team.

Joel Embiid is an interesting candidate. Clearly, Sixers want him back more than Noel. So am I. As we've nothing to do with the cap space, I think we may actually offer him a big contract even if he's injury issues. At this point, Sixers would likely match. But they may let him go if they find something even better in draft or trade.

My ideal situation is that we've got Embiid for a max deal. We trade a top few pick for Porzingis. We keep Barnes. We develop Dennis Smith. We find another big free agent target at 2 if Wes opts out of his contract. Embiid-Porzingis-Barnes-Whoever-Smith is a good team for rebuilding and competing. I am also opened to the return of Seth Curry. But he's to prove to be effectively alongside Smith on both ends. I don't want him back as a backup. But will consider him as a 'low-dollar' starter comparable. He's 27. He's not so valuable for rebuilding team. He's also not valuable enough to top-notch competing team.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,000

Post#1126 » by Mr B » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:47 pm

Darren wrote:
arkuo wrote:Interesting turn of events. what we lose (possibly) in Nerlens Noel in unrestricted free agency, we may gain back in Joel Embiid or Jabari Parker (should their respective teams not pay them a max contract).

I am plause on the fit with Parker. He's short PF with low rebounding average. I wonder if he cancels out Harrison Barnes fitting alongside each other. And he's also a major injury risk. If he wants more than 20, why don't we just give Noel then? At least, Noel plays one of the most difficult position in the game. I know Parker average 20 per game. But is that what we need with the cap space. I don't think we want him as long as Barnes is on the team.

Joel Embiid is an interesting candidate. Clearly, Sixers want him back more than Noel. So am I. As we've nothing to do with the cap space, I think we may actually offer him a big contract even if he's injury issues. At this point, Sixers would likely match. But they may let him go if they find something even better in draft or trade.

My ideal situation is that we've got Embiid for a max deal. We trade a top few pick for Porzingis. We keep Barnes. We develop Dennis Smith. We find another big free agent target at 2 if Wes opts out of his contract. Embiid-Porzingis-Barnes-Whoever-Smith is a good team for rebuilding and competing. I am also opened to the return of Seth Curry. But he's to prove to be effectively alongside Smith on both ends. I don't want him back as a backup. But will consider him as a 'low-dollar' starter comparable. He's 27. He's not so valuable for rebuilding team. He's also not valuable enough to top-notch competing team.

Yea I'm pretty sure there is no way in hell the Mavs end up with Embiid AND Porzingis.
Darren
RealGM

Post#1127 » by Darren » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:51 pm

Mr B wrote:
Darren wrote:

Yea I'm pretty sure there is no way in hell the Mavs end up with Embiid AND Porzingis.

Yes, the Mavs do not belong to the hell. :D
But yes, it takes a lot of lucks for both team to let either guy walk.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#1128 » by arkuo » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:54 pm

Darren wrote:

Agreed. The only logical way we sign Jabari Parker to like north of $20M is to entice Giannis to come here after 2019 or 2020. Those 2 are best buds and if Giannis gets pissed I wouldnt mind a S&T of Barnes for Giannis either.

Allen Iverson was the last guy Philly maxed out if I remember correctly. They may have concerns signing Embiid to a max long term deal. The same jitters Cuban faced with signing Nerlens to a max long term deal. IF and when that happens, Im thinking if we were to pay the max anyway, do we give it to Nerlens or Embiid? Both players tore their ACLs already. Embiid can actually carry a team and score 20 and 10 on a nightly basis so Im leaning that way. For now.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1129 » by Mr B » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:56 pm

Darren wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Darren wrote:

They could have a shot at Okafor if they wanted. Embiid is a priority for Philly though.
Darren
RealGM

Post#1130 » by Darren » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:16 pm

Mr B wrote:
Darren wrote:
Mr B wrote:

They could have a shot at Okafor if they wanted. Embiid is a priority for Philly though.

Okafor!? Can we care less about interior defense? He's a fine scorer. But he's not as good a rebounder against most big men in this league. Rebounding could be worrisome going forward.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,031

Post#1131 » by daoneandonly » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:57 pm

Darren wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Darren wrote:

Okafor!? Can we care less about interior defense? He's a fine scorer. But he's not as good a rebounder against most big men in this league. Rebounding could be worrisome going forward.

I don't want him either, but I think the poster's point was he's a realistic target. Neither Embiid or Porzingas are, let alone both.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#1132 » by Mr B » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:44 am

daoneandonly wrote:
Darren wrote:
Mr B wrote:

I don't want him either, but I think the poster's point was he's a realistic target. Neither Embiid or Porzingas are, let alone both.

Exactly! I don't want Okafor either but I'm trying to be realistic.
Darren
RealGM

Post#1133 » by Darren » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:56 pm

Are we interested in a trade for Andre Drummond?

Chicago gets Nerlens Noel, Wes Matthews, Jose Barea
Dallas gets Andre Drummond
Detriot gets Dwayne Wade (buyout), Bobby Portis

Bulls gets their man in Noel. Finally, they gets a starting caliber PG in Barea.
Dallas gets a long term big at 23 yo. Except his free throw percentage, I am okay with his fit.
Detriot unloads Drummond and get a young big in Portis.

Sounds possible for all parties including Noel.
JamesConway
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Post#1134 » by JamesConway » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:21 pm

Darren wrote:Are we interested in a trade for Andre Drummond?

Chicago gets Nerlens Noel, Wes Matthews, Jose Barea
Dallas gets Andre Drummond
Detriot gets Dwayne Wade (buyout), Bobby Portis

Bulls gets their man in Noel. Finally, they gets a starting caliber PG in Barea.
Dallas gets a long term big at 23 yo. Except his free throw percentage, I am okay with his fit.
Detriot unloads Drummond and get a young big in Portis.

Sounds possible for all parties including Noel.

I think you don't want to get into a situation where you're locked into a starting Center for multiple years without knowing how next summer's draft pans out. Mo Bamba and DeAndre Ayton are both highly intrigueing options and if we somehow someway luck into one of them being still on the boards when we pick you don't want to get into a situation where you have take that kid due to him BPA but you also still have Drummond on your payroll. Therefore I'd wait this out until next July. Also to see how Noel's situation pans out. I firmly believe that the relationship has taken a big hit, but it's still possible that he re-signs here. And if he does I'm not sure you want Drummond (& his contract) over Nerlens (& whatever his contract will look like).

But I don't think this is much of a problem as I doubt that DET can find a taker for Drummond anytime soon. I'd keep him in mind as a fallback option but as of now I'd prefer to see how/if we can solve Noel's contract situation over the next 12 months and/or who we end up drafting in order to maximize all our avenues.
JamesConway
Sixth Man

Post#1135 » by JamesConway » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:48 pm

According to a report from a local Memphis writer the Grizzlies will waive 2015 late 1st round-pick Jarell Martin. 6'10, bulky dude, pretty mobile though with some faceup skills yet not much of a three point shot as of now. Was drafted as a sophomore and therefore is still only 23. Played roughly 75 games for MEM over his first two years and a lot of DLeague games (around 16ppg there pretty consistantly).

I'd pick him up if true, it's not hard to see why he was drafted in the 1st round. Must not have been an easy position for him behind Z-Bo and Jamychal Green at PF. Likely nothing more than a lateral move but I think he is a better prospect than a bunch of the undrafted guys we have brought in for training camp.
Darren
RealGM

Post#1136 » by Darren » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:35 pm

JamesConway wrote:According to a report from a local Memphis writer the Grizzlies will waive 2015 late 1st round-pick Jarell Martin. 6'10, bulky dude, pretty mobile though with some faceup skills yet not much of a three point shot as of now. Was drafted as a sophomore and therefore is still only 23. Played roughly 75 games for MEM over his first two years and a lot of DLeague games (around 16ppg there pretty consistantly).

I'd pick him up if true, it's not hard to see why he was drafted in the 1st round. Must not have been an easy position for him behind Z-Bo and Jamychal Green at PF. Likely nothing more than a lateral move but I think he is a better prospect than a bunch of the undrafted guys we have brought in for training camp.

When I look at his number, he looks like a poor man Danny Fortson. He's good at rebounding but not talented enough everything else. Why don't we sign Thomas Robinson if we want this kind of talent a month ago?
JamesConway
Sixth Man

Post#1137 » by JamesConway » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:48 pm

Fortson was a bruiser who worked the boards and would have been a smallball-C these days, the same goes for Robinson even if he's much lighter on his feet. He might not have enough range on his jumper, but Martin is certainly more of a faceup 4 than a smallball-C. So I don't quite see the comparison.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,274

Post#1138 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:26 am

Read on Twitter

I've really come to appreciate Dallas sports coverage (most familiar with Mavs obviously) over the last 20 years. A lot of knowledgeable people who seem to really enjoy their jobs. Even if some you don't agree with this, I felt it was worth sharing.
Chocolate Daddy
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#1139 » by Chocolate Daddy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:46 pm

Mavs fan here. Excited to be a part of this place. Go Mavs.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,031

Post#1140 » by daoneandonly » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:14 pm

Chocolate Daddy wrote:Mavs fan here. Excited to be a part of this place. Go Mavs.

Welcome bud, happy to see some new blood, looking forward to seeing your inputs

Return to Dallas Mavericks