ImageImageImageImageImage

Ntillmatic is OUR GUY

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

islanders11040
Head Coach
And1: 6,928

Re: Ntillmatic is OUR GUY 

Post#1901 » by islanders11040 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:41 am

dakomish23 wrote:
2010 wrote:Frank is at the very least 6'6". Maybe even 6'7". Cuz LJ was listed at 6'7" during his playing days and Frank looks every bit as tall as him. Even has higher shoulders.[/quote

Idk how tall Frank is but I found this article on LJ's height

Mutombo said Larry Johnson, the former Hornets and Knicks forward, was among the biggest exaggerators. While at the Nevada-Las Vegas, Johnson was supposedly 6-7. At the N.B.A.'s annual predraft camp in Chicago, however, he barely topped 6-3.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2003/06/15/sports/basketball/tall-tales-in-nba-dont-fool-players.html

American retired basketball player, who played as a Power Forward for the Charlotte Hornets and New York Knicks. In a 2003 NY Times article it mentioned "Mutombo said Larry Johnson, the former Hornets and Knicks forward, was among the biggest exaggerators. While at the Nevada-Las Vegas, Johnson was supposedly 6-7. At the N.B.A.'s annual predraft camp in Chicago, however, he barely topped 6-3".

However, that seems an exaggeration because in a Sporting News article from 1991, it mentioned specifically that "Johnson, who was listed at 6-7 throughout his college career, was measured at only 6-5 1/2 at the NBA's pre-draft".
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,917

Post#1902 » by SelbyCobra » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:47 am

dakomish23 wrote:
2010 wrote:Frank is at the very least 6'6". Maybe even 6'7". Cuz LJ was listed at 6'7" during his playing days and Frank looks every bit as tall as him. Even has higher shoulders.[/quote

Mutombo said Larry Johnson, the former Hornets and Knicks forward, was among the biggest exaggerators. While at the Nevada-Las Vegas, Johnson was supposedly 6-7. At the N.B.A.'s annual predraft camp in Chicago, however, he barely topped 6-3.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2003/06/15/sports/basketball/tall-tales-in-nba-dont-fool-players.html

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/A-Historical-Look-at-the-NBA-Pre-Draft-Measurements-2912/

Something you might notice is that up until sometime in the last 10-12 years, players were only measured without shoes at the main pre-draft camp. Players and various people who worked for teams had been complaining for years about barefoot measurements. Larry Johnson, the #1 overall pick in 1991 expressed his thoughts on the measurements after he came in an inch and a half below his listed height of 6'’7"”. "Ain't that pitiful?" Johnson said. "You don't go out there with your shoes off. Ain't that right?"

In this case, Larry Johnson being a 6'’5½”" power forward didn’t hurt his stock, because he was in a weaker draft, but many times measurements can really help or hurt a player’s position in the draft.
Dantares
Head Coach
And1: 2,754

Post#1903 » by Dantares » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:57 am

"No protectors here. No Lanterns. No Kryptonian. This world will fall like all the others."

dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#1904 » by dakomish23 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:35 am

islanders11040 wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

American retired basketball player, who played as a Power Forward for the Charlotte Hornets and New York Knicks. In a 2003 NY Times article it mentioned "Mutombo said Larry Johnson, the former Hornets and Knicks forward, was among the biggest exaggerators. While at the Nevada-Las Vegas, Johnson was supposedly 6-7. At the N.B.A.'s annual predraft camp in Chicago, however, he barely topped 6-3".

However, that seems an exaggeration because in a Sporting News article from 1991, it mentioned specifically that "Johnson, who was listed at 6-7 throughout his college career, was measured at only 6-5 1/2 at the NBA's pre-draft".

So he wasn't 6-7?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,650

Post#1905 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:36 am

dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1906 » by dakomish23 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:36 am

SelbyCobra wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/A-Historical-Look-at-the-NBA-Pre-Draft-Measurements-2912/

Something you might notice is that up until sometime in the last 10-12 years, players were only measured without shoes at the main pre-draft camp. Players and various people who worked for teams had been complaining for years about barefoot measurements. Larry Johnson, the #1 overall pick in 1991 expressed his thoughts on the measurements after he came in an inch and a half below his listed height of 6'’7"”. "Ain't that pitiful?" Johnson said. "You don't go out there with your shoes off. Ain't that right?"

In this case, Larry Johnson being a 6'’5½”" power forward didn’t hurt his stock, because he was in a weaker draft, but many times measurements can really help or hurt a player’s position in the draft.

So how tall is Frank then? :dontknow:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,392

Post#1907 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:57 am

dakomish23 wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

7 feet
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1908 » by dakomish23 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:49 am

3toheadmelo wrote:

7 feet

That would explain his wingspan

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,313

Post#1909 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:30 am

dakomish23 wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

LJ is 6' 5.5 inches tall. He was listed at 6'7 due to the 1 to 1.5 inches sneakers gives you, depending on type. LJ got his extra height by being measured in sneakers

Frank is listed,variously, at 6' 5.5" and 6'6". He looks basically the same height as LJ in the picture. I think Frank was most definitely measured WITHOUT shoes for his height, so his "NBA playing height" will be 6' 6.5" and possibly 6'7"
Give or take .5 :D

At this point, we've seen him next to enough guys who are 6'6" to say he's that height or really close to it. LJ, Aaron Judge, THJr

Reiterating a comment from deeper in this topic, I think Frank and KP and Euros are almost always measured without sneakers, while for USA players prior to the pros it seems to be a mixed bag, leading to differing heights on draft sites, and then once in the NBA, like an arms race, everyone just goes and measures in sneakers. For this reason, KP's 7'3" and Franks 6'5.5" look taller. I swear I've said to myself, half a dozen times, when KP is standing next to an NBA center listed as 7', that he SO much taller looking. I think it's because besides the fact that 3" taller is noticeable, it's actually 4.5 inches taller in a lot of cases, which is REALLY noticeable. And we're seeing some of that with Frank, where at 6'5.5", he's standing next to guy drafted at 6'7", and effectively they look the same height.
RealGM
And1: 39,217

Post#1910 » by 2010 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:14 am

thebuzzardman wrote:

LJ is 6' 5.5 inches tall. He was listed at 6'7 due to the 1 to 1.5 inches sneakers gives you, depending on type. LJ got his extra height by being measured in sneakers

Frank is listed,variously, at 6' 5.5" and 6'6". He looks basically the same height as LJ in the picture. I think Frank was most definitely measured WITHOUT shoes for his height, so his "NBA playing height" will be 6' 6.5" and possibly 6'7"

At this point, we've seen him next to enough guys who are 6'6" to say he's that height or really close to it. LJ, Aaron Judge, THJr

Reiterating a comment from deeper in this topic, I think Frank and KP and Euros are almost always measured without sneakers, while for USA players prior to the pros it seems to be a mixed bag, leading to differing heights on draft sites, and then once in the NBA, like an arms race, everyone just goes and measures in sneakers. For this reason, KP's 7'3" and Franks 6'5.5" look taller. I swear I've said to myself, half a dozen times, when KP is standing next to an NBA center listed as 7', that he SO much taller looking. I think it's because besides the fact that 3" taller is noticeable, it's actually 4.5 inches taller in a lot of cases, which is REALLY noticeable. And we're seeing some of that with Frank, where at 6'5.5", he's standing next to guy drafted at 6'7", and effectively they look the same height.

Y'all were making this harder than it needs to be. I was about to do the honors but thanks to buzzardman for breaking this down before I had to.

So in summation, Frank is as tall as 6'7" in sneakers. And since no one plays barefoot, that is all that matters.

Now back to LJ. He was officially measured at 6'5" barefoot and 6'7" in sneakers. Which gives me more confidence that if we are not in position to get Doncic and we end up in the #6 - 9 pick range, Miles Bridges would be a great pick. He also measures ~6'5" barefoot. In sneakers he is ~6'6"/6'7". Fully capable of playing SF or PF in today's downsized NBA.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1911 » by dakomish23 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:57 pm

2010 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

Y'all were making this harder than it needs to be. I was about to do the honors but thanks to buzzardman for breaking this down before I had to.

So in summation, Frank is as tall as 6'7" in sneakers. And since no one plays barefoot, that is all that matters.

Now back to LJ. He was officially measured at 6'5" barefoot and 6'7" in sneakers. Which gives me more confidence that if we are not in position to get Doncic and we end up in the #6 - 9 pick range, Miles Bridges would be a great pick. He also measures ~6'5" barefoot. In sneakers he is ~6'6"/6'7". Fully capable of playing SF or PF in today's downsized NBA.

Not sure why you or anyone would think I'm trying to make this harder than it has to be.

I'm not calling Frank short. Frank is a tall PG even at 6-5. Maybe he is closer to 6-6 or 6-7. Even better. :clap:

I'm just bringing up the LJ height debate that has been going on since he got drafted.

Spoiler:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

#FreeJimmit
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,127

Post#1912 » by Tron Carter » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:53 pm

2010 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
dakomish23 wrote:

in that case we're taking bonga bruh. frank already follows him on instagram.
R.I.P Black Mamba
RealGM

Post#1913 » by 2010 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:22 pm

Tron Carter wrote:
2010 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

I'm not too sure about that one. For instance, if we end up in the #6-9 range I highly doubt Bonga is in the discussion at that slot. He is intriguing but very raw. Frank following him means nothing, lol. If that is the case, we getting Doncic cuz Willy and KP are both following him and he is following them back. They tag each other all the time and Doncic posted an IG snap last night with Willy in it.

Tron Carter
RealGM

Post#1914 » by Tron Carter » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:28 pm

2010 wrote:
Tron Carter wrote:
2010 wrote:

I'm not too sure about that one. For instance, if we end up in the #6-9 range I highly doubt Bonga is in the discussion at that slot. He is intriguing but very raw. Frank following him means nothing, lol. If that is the case, we getting Doncic cuz Willy and KP are both following him and he is following them back. They tag each other all the time and Doncic posted an IG snap last night with Willy in it.

I'm a realist dude. We either picking first (.05% chance) or bottom lottery. There will be no in between. Melo is gonna be a knick. We need to temper expectations. frank is following bonga because he's a realist too :D
R.I.P Black Mamba
RealGM

Post#1915 » by 2010 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:46 pm

Tron Carter wrote:
2010 wrote:
Tron Carter wrote:

I'm a realist dude. We either picking first (.05% chance) or bottom lottery. There will be no in between. Melo is gonna be a knick. We need to temper expectations. frank is following bonga because he's a realist too :D

Y'all kill me with this "we got Melo so a bottom lottery pick is imminent" line of thinking. Dog, we been landing in the top 8 WITH MELO the last two years. Lol. Melo and his ball stopping and clutch bricks that are long contested 2's in close games actually helps the tank. Bridges is absolutely realistic and still in play. Doncic may be too. Doncic can easily slide to #4. MPJ, Bagley and Ayton can all end up going before him.

Tron Carter
RealGM

Post#1916 » by Tron Carter » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:49 pm

2010 wrote:
Tron Carter wrote:
2010 wrote:

Y'all kill me with this "we got Melo so a bottom lottery pick is imminent" line of thinking. Dog, we been landing in the top 8 WITH MELO the last two years. Lol. Melo and his ball stopping and clutch bricks that are long contested 2's in close games actually helps the tank. Bridges is absolutely realistic and still in play. Doncic may be too. Doncic can easily slide to #4. MPJ, Bagley and Ayton can all end up going before him.

so we gonna assume that KP and Willy just don't improve and the loss of Rose isn't addition by subtraction?

Or that the East didn't get worse this offseason. Ya'll setting yourselves up for disappointment is all I'm saying.
R.I.P Black Mamba
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,650

Post#1917 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:03 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:

7 feet

And 9' wingspan
Tron Carter
RealGM

Post#1918 » by Tron Carter » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:09 pm

ya'll can't have it both ways. if kp is gonna take the next step, willy gonna build off last season, and the loss of rose will facilitate a better offense then the knicks will not be a bottom 5 team. hate on melo all you want but he is still good for a few wins this season. add on the fact that eastern teams like atlanta, chicago, and the pacers have all gotten worse and ya'll are looking at a mediocre knicks team that is good enough to just miss the playoffs but not good enough to notch you a top 5 pick.

embrace bonga. dudes like dončić and bagley are pipe dreams.
R.I.P Black Mamba
SmoothLefty21
Starter
And1: 2,410

Post#1919 » by SmoothLefty21 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:19 pm

I've met LJ before, he isn't THAT short. Unless he was wearing crazy boots/shoes/soles he's definitely close to 6'6", maybe a little under. I'm 6'8" FWIW.
Mecca
RealGM
And1: 14,325

Post#1920 » by Mecca » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:27 pm

Tron Carter wrote:ya'll can't have it both ways. if kp is gonna take the next step, willy gonna build off last season, and the loss of rose will facilitate a better offense then the knicks will not be a bottom 5 team. hate on melo all you want but he is still good for a few wins this season. add on the fact that eastern teams like atlanta, chicago, and the pacers have all gotten worse and ya'll are looking at a mediocre knicks team that is good enough to just miss the playoffs but not good enough to notch you a top 5 pick.

embrace bonga. dudes like dončić and bagley are pipe dreams.

Exactly.
Brooklyn Nets
Damian Lillard - Rajon Rondo - Trey Burke
Victor Oladipo - Wes Matthews - Javon Carter
Caris LeVert - Derrick Jones Jr. - Glenn Robinson III
Andre Igoudala - Killian Tillie - Trey Lyles
Joel Embiid - Taj Gibson - Kevon Looney

Return to New York Knicks