ImageImageImageImageImage

O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::.

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Re: O.T. .::THE SCIENCE AND PHILOSOPHY THREAD::. 

Post#1861 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:46 am

Did somebody say "God"?

What's "God"?
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer
And1: 943

Post#1862 » by PeoplesChamp » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:07 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:Did somebody say "God"?

What's "God"?

A friend of mine who had a near-death experience, she was clinically dead, and can still give vivid details of what she saw & heard 20 years later, said she asked where God was, and a woman who was with her replied "Who is that?"

To hear her accounts of what experienced is mind-blowing, and so real that when she came back she felt a sense of loss and wanted to go back.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1863 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:18 pm

PeoplesChamp wrote:

What's "God"?

A friend of mine who had a near-death experience, she was clinically dead, and can still give vivid details of what she saw & heard 20 years later, said she asked where God was, and a woman who was with her replied "Who is that?"

To hear her accounts of what experienced is mind-blowing, and so real that when she came back she felt a sense of loss and wanted to go back.

Exactly. While I don't believe in "God," I'm more uncertain about what happens to us when we die. Was it Hindu that George Harrison practiced? But he prepared himself for what he saw was his journey after life. George's wife described George as "beaming" at the time of his death.
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,221

Post#1864 » by duetta » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:28 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Exactly. While I don't believe in "God," I'm more uncertain about what happens to us when we die. Was it Hindu that George Harrison practiced? But he prepared himself for what he saw was his journey after life. George's wife described George as "beaming" at the time of his death.

Harrison was a devotee of a yogi master (don't remember which one) - and practiced some elements of yoga.

I've been reading a lot recently about practitioners of active out-of-body experience (anything to escape my bondage to the Knicks...) - and once I start experiencing them myself, I will be sure to let you know what it's like!
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1865 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:23 pm

duetta wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Exactly. While I don't believe in "God," I'm more uncertain about what happens to us when we die. Was it Hindu that George Harrison practiced? But he prepared himself for what he saw was his journey after life. George's wife described George as "beaming" at the time of his death.

Harrison was a devotee of a yogi master (don't remember which one) - and practiced some elements of yoga.

I've been reading a lot recently about practitioners of active out-of-body experience (anything to escape my bondage to the Knicks...) - and once I start experiencing them myself, I will be sure to let you know what it's like!

Please do! Thanks.
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer

Post#1866 » by PeoplesChamp » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:13 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
PeoplesChamp wrote:

What's "God"?

Exactly. While I don't believe in "God," I'm more uncertain about what happens to us when we die. Was it Hindu that George Harrison practiced? But he prepared himself for what he saw was his journey after life. George's wife described George as "beaming" at the time of his death.

She still practices Christianity somewhat, out of her belief that all religions are on the same well-intentioned road, and that doing something involving spirituality was the important part.
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#1867 » by magnumt » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:58 pm

BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
Iron Mantis
RealGM
And1: 18,267

Post#1868 » by Iron Mantis » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:25 pm

What's "God"?

What it boils down to is no matter how one theorizes how all things came into existence, you will eventually face there having to be an immaterial, eternal, "First Cause".

If not, you face the the circular "who created the one who created?" paradox. Either that or the "everything came from nothing" paradigm.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1869 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:47 pm

Iron Mantis wrote:

What's "God"?

What it boils down to is no matter how one theorizes how all things came into existence, you will eventually face there having to be an immaterial, eternal, "First Cause".

If not, you face the the circular "who created the one who created?" paradox. Either that or the "everything came from nothing" paradigm.

With each year, each decade, science explains more and more. You still can't get to how people today view "God" from something you can't yet explain.
KnickFan33
Veteran
And1: 1,446

Post#1870 » by KnickFan33 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:39 pm

PeoplesChamp wrote:
KnickFan33 wrote:
TheAttckRack wrote:What, no comment on The Great Sign In The Sky?!?

Sons, I am disappoint.

Ancient Knowledge. Religious Philosophy. Planetary Science. God. You name it.

Or is it just a bunch a' Hooey? A meaningless coincidence. Some counting fraud. Much Ado About Nothing, ultimately. Either way, think it through yourself.

September 23. A date of repute.

What scientific discussion can possibly be had over this?

None. Makes me think I should come up with my own doomsday to dupe a bunch of rubes to come up off their cash.

Why not? It's certainly worked plenty of times in the past...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dates_predicted_for_apocalyptic_events

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unfulfilled_Christian_religious_predictions#Jehovah.27s_Witnesses
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,435

Post#1871 » by j4remi » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:15 pm

Here's a cool topic that doesn't fit anywhere else....Lucid Dreaming; I actually got this stuff to work partially but never to the extent that people describe. I'm gonna start trying again, I've gotten myself to fly in a dream but would wake up pretty quickly after I realized I was dreaming every time.

https://tim.blog/2009/09/21/how-to-lucid-dream/
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer

Post#1872 » by PeoplesChamp » Sun Oct 1, 2017 5:49 am

j4remi wrote:Here's a cool topic that doesn't fit anywhere else....Lucid Dreaming; I actually got this stuff to work partially but never to the extent that people describe. I'm gonna start trying again, I've gotten myself to fly in a dream but would wake up pretty quickly after I realized I was dreaming every time.

I've had hundreds of lucid dreams. The first thing I usually do is take off flying. Sometimes extremely high. I've had some that have felt pretty lengthy too. The ones where I start kissing on a woman end almost right away though.
PeoplesChamp
Bench Warmer

Post#1873 » by PeoplesChamp » Sun Oct 1, 2017 5:57 am

Just read the article. So everyone's lucid dreams involve flying and sex too? Lol!!!
DOLPHIN2020
Veteran
And1: 1,138

Post#1874 » by DOLPHIN2020 » Sun Oct 1, 2017 7:12 am

duetta wrote:

It was maharishi Mahesh Yogi
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 47,850

Post#1875 » by robillionaire » Sun Oct 1, 2017 11:01 am

TheAttckRack wrote:What, no comment on The Great Sign In The Sky?!?

Sons, I am disappoint.

Ancient Knowledge. Religious Philosophy. Planetary Science. God. You name it.

Or is it just a bunch a' Hooey? A meaningless coincidence. Some counting fraud. Much Ado About Nothing, ultimately. Either way, think it through yourself.

September 23. A date of repute.

Update

Nothing happened
NY2TheBay
General Manager
And1: 4,164

Post#1876 » by NY2TheBay » Sun Oct 1, 2017 11:47 am

j4remi wrote:Here's a cool topic that doesn't fit anywhere else....Lucid Dreaming; I actually got this stuff to work partially but never to the extent that people describe. I'm gonna start trying again, I've gotten myself to fly in a dream but would wake up pretty quickly after I realized I was dreaming every time.

:nod:
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,190

Post#1877 » by gavran » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:53 pm

KnickFan33
Veteran

Post#1878 » by KnickFan33 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:35 pm

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-dna-gene-editing-20171025-story.html

This has the potential to be a true game changer. The ability to change codons in your genome could theoretically eradicate just about every cancer and hereditary disease.
Iron Mantis
RealGM
And1: 18,267

Post#1879 » by Iron Mantis » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:49 pm

KnickFan33 wrote:http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-dna-gene-editing-20171025-story.html

This has the potential to be a true game changer. The ability to change codons in your genome could theoretically eradicate just about every cancer and hereditary disease.

The real question is...is there more money to be made from eradicating every disease in this manner ..or just treating them with meds, etc.?

Wherever the profit is, is where medicine will actually go.
KnickFan33
Veteran

Post#1880 » by KnickFan33 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:56 pm

Iron Mantis wrote:
KnickFan33 wrote:http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-dna-gene-editing-20171025-story.html

The real question is...is there more money to be made from eradicating every disease in this manner ..or just treating them with meds, etc.?

Wherever the profit is, is where medicine will actually go.

That's a very negative way at looking at things, but I get your point. It's still quite intriguing that advancements are being made towards cures. Which I don't think will come cheap anyway.

Return to New York Knicks