OT: Australia Trip

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Coln72
Ballboy
And1: 17

Re: OT: Australia Trip 

Post#21 » by Coln72 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:48 pm

The Rodzilla wrote:
then if you want to have some crappy weather and do nothing all day you could take a short plane trip to melbourne

That's just mean..... :x
Knew Delly before it was cool
drone3
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,517

Re: RE: Re: OT: Australia Trip 

Post#22 » by drone3 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:39 pm

Coln72 wrote:
The Rodzilla wrote:
then if you want to have some crappy weather and do nothing all day you could take a short plane trip to melbourne

That's just mean..... :x
Mean but true... Melbourne weather **** sucks.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,692

Post#23 » by Pachinko_ » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:09 pm

It depends where you're coming from, my boss is from Sweden and he thinks the weather in Melbourne is great. I asked him what is summer like in Sweden and he said it's actually lovely, especially when it falls on a weekend :rofl:
drone3
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by drone3 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:40 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:It depends where you're coming from, my boss is from Sweden and he thinks the weather in Melbourne is great. I asked him what is summer like in Sweden and he said it's actually lovely, especially when it falls on a weekend :rofl:
I'm coming from Perth so although I much prefer Melbourne as a city the weather and lack of beaches has been my main gripe for the last 10yrs.
brettski
Analyst
And1: 1,731

Post#25 » by brettski » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:53 pm

meanwhile here in Brisbane we're hitting 31 tomorrow (88 for you crazy yanks) and we're barely into the start of spring.

Have also not seen any substantive rain in ages. Max rainfall in September is 0 and August had 6mm all month. In 5 days in June we had 72mm and outside that we've had 80mm total since the start of May..

Basically come to Brisbane or the Gold Coast and you'd be really unlucky not to get clear blue skys and beach weather at the moment.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:Mark my words....Gooden will be this year's teams MVP. Watch and see.....

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1139340&start=15&p=29252753&view=show#p29252753
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#26 » by Pachinko_ » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:17 am

drone3 wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:It depends where you're coming from, my boss is from Sweden and he thinks the weather in Melbourne is great. I asked him what is summer like in Sweden and he said it's actually lovely, especially when it falls on a weekend :rofl:
I'm coming from Perth so although I much prefer Melbourne as a city the weather and lack of beaches has been my main gripe for the last 10yrs.

What lack of beaches? there's definitely beaches, whether you like them or not it's a different story...
Melbourne beaches have also been my gripe for the last 12 years because I'm used to the Greek ones which are a totally different experience. First of all any popular beach in Greece has rows of fixed umbrellas and those long beach chairs right by the water, and they are serviced by waiters who bring you cold drinks and food (cheap prices). You can stay the whole day and you don't need to bring anything from home. And secondly the water is different because it's a sea not an ocean, much calmer and clearer, even at 5m deep you can usually still see the bottom. You kinda just float and relax, Australian beaches are more of a sport I find. Not my thing, I like to relax by the sea.

But most important of all there's an ozone layer in Greece, the sun is strong but much much easier on the skin.
drone3
Lead Assistant

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: OT: Australia Trip 

Post#27 » by drone3 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:23 am

Pachinko_ wrote:
drone3 wrote:

What lack of beaches? there's definitely beaches, whether you like them or not it's a different story...
Melbourne beaches have also been my gripe for the last 12 years because I'm used to the Greek ones which are a totally different experience. First of all any popular beach in Greece has rows of fixed umbrellas and those long beach chairs right by the water, and they are serviced by waiters who bring you cold drinks and food (cheap prices). You can stay the whole day and you don't need to bring anything from home. And secondly the water is different because it's a sea not an ocean, much calmer and clearer, even at 5m deep you can usually still see the bottom. You kinda just float and relax, Australian beaches are more of a sport I find. Not my thing, I like to relax by the sea.

But most important of all there's an ozone layer in Greece, the sun is strong but much much easier on the skin.
Oh yes, I should clarify, plenty of crap beaches with the most accessible like St Kilda and Elwood being completely polluted. My definition of a beach is white sand and surf. Favourite beaches in Australia are down the coast of WA, specifically Yallingup for surf and Eagle bay/ Meelup for calm waters. For snorkeling Exmouth / Ningaloo Reef is freakin amazing specially Oyster Stacks.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,373

Post#28 » by trwi7 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:05 am

Melbourne's weather seems amazing to me.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Pachinko_
RealGM

Post#29 » by Pachinko_ » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:35 am

St Kilda beach is not good for swimming but it's great for hanging out, food, drinks, skateboarding, bike rides etc

And yeah I also think the weather is great and refreshing.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,917

Post#30 » by stellation » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:39 am

Pachinko_ wrote:As a european the most remarkable thing I found about the AFL is fans from different teams sitting next to eachother with no police in between, and nobody's head gets bashed in. Amazing. Other than that, you know, there's a reason the rest of the world doesn't watch or play aussie rules. Don't tell anybody while you're there :)

Men in tight shorts though, if that's your thing.

As an Australian, the most remarkable thing about people being amazed that we can happily sit next to opposition fans at the footy without starting a fight is that people are amazed that we can happily sit next to opposition fans at the footy without starting a fight. :D
#FreeChuckDiesel
The Rodzilla
Starter
And1: 2,332

Post#31 » by The Rodzilla » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:24 am

trwi7 wrote:Melbourne's weather seems amazing to me.

its great if you love heatwaves and hate seeing the sun, for example the melbourne forecast for the next week on google has the sun only making an appearance ironically on sunday and thats normal
The Rodzilla
Starter

Post#32 » by The Rodzilla » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:25 am

stellation wrote:
Pachinko_ wrote:As a european the most remarkable thing I found about the AFL is fans from different teams sitting next to eachother with no police in between, and nobody's head gets bashed in. Amazing. Other than that, you know, there's a reason the rest of the world doesn't watch or play aussie rules. Don't tell anybody while you're there :)

As an Australian, the most remarkable thing about people being amazed that we can happily sit next to opposition fans at the footy without starting a fight is that people are amazed that we can happily sit next to opposition fans at the footy without starting a fight. :D

AFL is a great sport but the fans are crazy as hell from what i can tell on tv
trwi7
RealGM

Post#33 » by trwi7 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:32 am

The Rodzilla wrote:

its great if you love heatwaves and hate seeing the sun, for example the melbourne forecast for the next week on google has the sun only making an appearance ironically on sunday and thats normal

The record high temperature is only 1 degree higher in Melbourne than Sydney, Melbourne gets more mean sunshine hours than Sydney and 20 less inches of rain per year. :dontknow:
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

The Rodzilla
Starter

Post#34 » by The Rodzilla » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:52 am

trwi7 wrote:
The Rodzilla wrote:

The record high temperature is only 1 degree higher in Melbourne than Sydney, Melbourne gets more mean sunshine hours than Sydney and 20 less inches of rain per year. :dontknow:

no my source indicates that melbourne gets less sunshine per year (mostly because we have clearer winters) and much less fully clear days, we get more rain but its more like a dump job of heavier rain then it clears up for longer

heatwaves can happen in sydney but its like an annual week long event for the rest of australia and ours are usually over quicker (i remember the days before i got air conditioning i used to always dread heatwaves and i used to watch the weather channel like a sporting event cheering on the cool change coming up the coast an hour away)
trwi7
RealGM

Post#35 » by trwi7 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:55 am

You complain for a week long heatwave? :lol:

Prince12
RealGM
And1: 2,750

Post#36 » by Prince12 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:08 am

trwi7 wrote:You complain for a week long heatwave? :lol:

In from Melbourne and can confirm rodzilla's comments on Melbourne are about as accurate as his Delly opinions..
@mkebucksaus just kicking off. Give it a follow!

https://twitter.com/mkebucksaus
The Rodzilla
Starter

Post#37 » by The Rodzilla » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:14 am

yes i admit im a whiny pussy but man those heatwaves are pure torture especially if it goes on for more than a few days

but in conclusion the outdoor daytime situation is so much better in sydney, it really is an uplifting scenario to take that coastal walk i was talking about or simply having breakfast at circular quay or on the ferry, thats why melbournians are great basketball players because the melbourne kids are forced into playing indoor activity at schools and on weekends :nod:
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,917

Post#38 » by stellation » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:20 am

The Rodzilla wrote:
stellation wrote:

AFL is a great sport but the fans are crazy as hell from what i can tell on tv

We just all get over excited because we're on edge due to the tight shorts. The second we think we see even the hint of one everyone starts screaming "BAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!"
#FreeChuckDiesel
The Rodzilla
Starter

Post#39 » by The Rodzilla » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:27 am

Prince12 wrote:

In from Melbourne and can confirm rodzilla's comments on Melbourne are about as accurate as his Delly opinions..

i have a low opinion of melbourne because im from sydney and there seems to be a point of contention about which of these cities is better, but the things that i have argued so far cant be disputed, on the surface sydney is a spectacular city and melbourne is dull

if you want to get into the other areas like the people are friendlier in melbourne, the spiders are friendlier in melbourne or the food/coffee or politics are better then that is a different situation, ill be happy to concede

btw my delly opinions are correct as well
trwi7
RealGM

Post#40 » by trwi7 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:30 am

The Rodzilla wrote:

yes i admit im a whiny pussy but man those heatwaves are pure torture especially if it goes on for more than a few days

but in conclusion the outdoor daytime situation is so much better in sydney, it really is an uplifting scenario to take that coastal walk i was talking about or simply having breakfast at circular quay or on the ferry, thats why melbournians are great basketball players because the melbourne kids are forced into playing indoor activity at schools and on weekends :nod:

Come here in January when it's 10 degrees and there's 20 inches of snow on the ground and then tell me how much Melbourne sucks. Or come here in July or August when it's 90-95 degrees with balls-sticking-to-your-leg humidity.

If you're on the coast in Australia your weather is in the top 1% of the world.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks