ImageImageImageImageImage

Wall Street insider: Dolan will be tempted to sell Knicks

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Bill Pidto
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,530

Re: Wall Street insider: Dolan will be tempted to sell Knicks 

Post#21 » by Bill Pidto » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:07 pm

GONYK wrote:I can't get excited about the thought of Dolan selling unless I knew who was buying.

I bet Kings fans were excited about the Maloofs selling before they met Ranadive.

I'd actually prefer Dolan keeps the team with the way he's willing to spend money. Phil might have been a disaster in many people's eyes, but it was an epic moment for Dolan, admitting he knows nothing about basketball, and declaring he wants to spend more time on other ventures and is ready to relinquish control of the team. He eventually fired Phil, but seems to be giving Mills the same level of autonomy. And what Mills has done with that type of power is continue a youth movement started by Phil?

I can't complain right now, especially knowing when it comes time to spend, Dolan will not disappoint so long as the rest of management makes the right choices. So yeah.... this is definitely a "be careful what you wish for" type of thing for me.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,631

Post#22 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:57 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:I wonder what kind of new culture would replace Dolan

He's a nightmare. But he spends. But he's a nightmare

I'd be happy with any change at the top but it's hard to imagine a good one

Just imagine a Russian or Chinese oligarch running the garden, renaming it the Ali baba arena.

aka ... The devil you know is better than the devil you don't.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#23 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:59 pm

Bill Pidto wrote:
GONYK wrote:I can't get excited about the thought of Dolan selling unless I knew who was buying.

I bet Kings fans were excited about the Maloofs selling before they met Ranadive.

I'd actually prefer Dolan keeps the team with the way he's willing to spend money. Phil might have been a disaster in many people's eyes, but it was an epic moment for Dolan, admitting he knows nothing about basketball, and declaring he wants to spend more time on other ventures and is ready to relinquish control of the team. He eventually fired Phil, but seems to be giving Mills the same level of autonomy. And what Mills has done with that type of power is continue a youth movement started by Phil?

I can't complain right now, especially knowing when it comes time to spend, Dolan will not disappoint so long as the rest of management makes the right choices. So yeah.... this is definitely a "be careful what you wish for" type of thing for me.

Yeah, I remember that. But don't you think he was involved more than we know? Not to rehash old arguments - we never do that here :lol: - but the Melo deal? I think that was more Dolan than Phil.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#24 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:05 pm

Didn't he save the team from being moved out of Sacramento? Or was that somebody else?
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,314

Post#25 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:06 pm

…Don’t try to convince yourself that keeping Dolan just because he’s a spender makes everything better. The day he decides to sell the team would be a miracle upon miracles. We should throw a ticker tape parade if that happens. And who’s to say the new owner wouldn’t want to spend as well? We can only dream :-?
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,977

Post#26 » by Capn'O » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:29 pm

I wish people would stop putting Dolan's spending in the "positives" category. Dolan's approach to spending is his biggest problem. He's not some tyrant like he used to pretend to be. He's a big softy that throws money at problems. "Never lose a guy due to money" is a TERRIBLE policy that leads to people coming in at all levels simply to exploit that policy. It ruins any semblance of meritocracy and accountability and the guys beneath him can only do so much to restore it.

The Knicks aren't going to get some money tight owner like Sterling was. That argument is pure boogeyman. The market in NYC commands and rewards a certain degree of input into the product and whoever buys into the Knicks is going to, by default, have to be willing to open up their pockets. They're more likely to get a guy like Ballmer who knows how to put his cash in the right places. Just a few years in and he goes and poaches Jerry MF West. Now look at the Clippers' direction. They're almost unrecognizable from a year ago and have way more options going forward.

He's tightened up his act a little since the McKinsey project to the point where a new face in the highest chair could do a lot to turn this franchise around in short order.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#27 » by MaseInYourFace » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:39 pm

We can only hope but be careful what you wish for. The Knicks/MSG are so valuable that it will likely be a huge conglomerate that buys it which won't necessarily be good.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,252

Post#28 » by DOT » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:48 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:…Don’t try to convince yourself that keeping Dolan just because he’s a spender makes everything better. The day he decides to sell the team would be a miracle upon miracles. We should throw a ticker tape parade if that happens. And who’s to say the new owner wouldn’t want to spend as well? We can only dream :-?

I think just owning the Knicks gives you license to be a spender

Think about it, no matter how much we suck, the team still makes money hand over fist
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#29 » by NoLayupRule » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:51 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
NoLayupRule wrote:I wonder what kind of new culture would replace Dolan

He's a nightmare. But he spends. But he's a nightmare

I'd be happy with any change at the top but it's hard to imagine a good one

Just imagine a Russian or Chinese oligarch running the garden, renaming it the Ali baba arena.

aka ... The devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

should have been the tag line for the last election

lesson learned - there is always worse out there
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#30 » by Sark » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:52 pm

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1610672
MP4LIFE
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,334

Post#31 » by MP4LIFE » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:59 pm

Dolan is the worst owner in the league and one of the worst in all of sports.

Anyone taking over for him will be a step up. Theres not much you to do to be a step up from Dolan.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#32 » by dakomish23 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:07 pm

I remember when IND traded Brad Miller because of luxury tax implications. Who knows how good that team could have been if they kept that team together.

http://www.espn.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=1584734

The willingness to spend should not be discounted.

It probably doesn't outweigh all the negatives that come with the Dolan regime, though.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#33 » by Pharmcat » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:18 pm

cant get worse than it is, FAs dont come here cuz of Dolan, it needs to change
shtolky
Head Coach
And1: 4,686

Post#34 » by shtolky » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:31 pm

Pharmcat wrote:cant get worse than it is, FAs dont come here cuz of Dolan, it needs to change

FAs don't come here because we suck, not because of Dolan. In 2010, we had meetings with every top FA and signed one of them, and we acquired another superstar the following year who wanted to be here. Chris Paul resigned with the Clippers before Sterling was ousted because the Clippers were a winning team that paid him tons of cash. Sterling makes Dolan look like an angel if that's even possible. If we start winning, and we have money to throw around, players will come.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,373
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#35 » by BKlutch » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:08 pm

There is really nothing in the article that says Dolan wants to sell. It is basically saying he should want to sell, because of how much the Knicks are worth. As has been pointed out, there are not many possible buyers.

Elsewhere in the realm of the highly unlikely, Apple will buy the Knicks, rename them the Granny Smiths, and use JR and his mom as the Grannies' mascot. They could probably build a new arena inside their new spaceship campus, and all those disgruntled fans in New York who are sick about the Knicks will suddenly feel so much better.

Or not.

When there is some real evidence that Dolan wants to sell, let's get excited. Until then, we should continue to hope that he backs off when he sees what a great job Scott Perry is doing, that KP plays like EuroBasket on fire, and fun and excitement return to the Garden.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#36 » by Pharmcat » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:08 pm

shtolky wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:cant get worse than it is, FAs dont come here cuz of Dolan, it needs to change

FAs don't come here because we suck, not because of Dolan. In 2010, we had meetings with every top FA and signed one of them, and we acquired another superstar the following year who wanted to be here. Chris Paul resigned with the Clippers before Sterling was ousted because the Clippers were a winning team that paid him tons of cash. Sterling makes Dolan look like an angel if that's even possible. If we start winning, and we have money to throw around, players will come.

durant disagrees
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

Post#37 » by NYKHardKnock » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:13 pm

If this were to ever happen like others have said, it could end up a lot worse. It would be an interesting, risky chance to take.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#38 » by Greenie » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:59 pm

Bingo
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#39 » by Greenie » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:03 pm

K-DOT wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:…Don’t try to convince yourself that keeping Dolan just because he’s a spender makes everything better. The day he decides to sell the team would be a miracle upon miracles. We should throw a ticker tape parade if that happens. And who’s to say the new owner wouldn’t want to spend as well? We can only dream :-?

I think just owning the Knicks gives you license to be a spender

Think about it, no matter how much we suck, the team still makes money hand over fist

That's the whole point.
They wouldn't have to spend on the team at all. Just profit and place it all in their pockets.

Return to New York Knicks