ImageImageImageImageImage

ESPN Ranks Carmelo Anthony as the 64th Best Player in the NBA

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

fatalogic
Veteran
And1: 2,147

Re: ESPN Ranks Carmelo Anthony as the 64th Best Player in the NBA 

Post#141 » by fatalogic » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:29 pm

I don't care that much but I think putting rookies in front of all-stars is just disrespectful. At least let rookies play one damn game in the NBA before singing their praises.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,097

Post#142 » by moocow007 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:32 pm

god shammgod wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
K P 6 wrote:Melo cursed in his post about the rank. Oh chit, he usually keeps his cool.

Hoodie Melo is happening, isn't it? ESPN inadvertently does something positive for the Knicks by creating a monster (that the Knicks can then trade). :lol:

if kp has progressed and melo is balling out and it looks like the knicks are gonna make the playoffs, not saying they will, do you think they'll still look to trade him ? i say no. the playoffs will be the priority.

Let's hope so (still trade). But with Mills in charge, who knows. Mills has been part of the problem for the past decade. But yeah, if Melo does Hoodie Melo, regardless of where they are at, they need to be looking to trade him. Anthony isn't turning back time and ancestry and evolve into a young Lebron so there really is no future IMO where it's in the best interest of the Knicks to keep Anthony around.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,041

Post#143 » by robillionaire » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:49 pm

Dirk Nowitzki was ranked #97 and he's still better than Melo and half the players over him but nobody is crying about that. I'm tired of the whining and complaining year after year after year. Go play some winning basketball or shut up already
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,431

Post#144 » by god shammgod » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:57 pm

moocow007 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
Hoodie Melo is happening, isn't it? ESPN inadvertently does something positive for the Knicks by creating a monster (that the Knicks can then trade). :lol:

if kp has progressed and melo is balling out and it looks like the knicks are gonna make the playoffs, not saying they will, do you think they'll still look to trade him ? i say no. the playoffs will be the priority.

Let's hope so (still trade). But with Mills in charge, who knows. Mills has been part of the problem for the past decade. But yeah, if Melo does Hoodie Melo, regardless of where they are at, they need to be looking to trade him. Anthony isn't turning back time and ancestry and evolve into a young Lebron so there really is no future IMO where it's in the best interest of the Knicks to keep Anthony around.

i think any gm will feel the pressure to make the playoffs after the team missing it for years. the problem with being a gm is that you often have to put job security over the long term goals of the franchise. you might have all these grand plans for reshaping the franchise but what does it matter if you don't have the job. he makes the playoffs and he buys himself a while to be in charge. so almost everybody is gonna act out of self interest in that case. hinkie was a guy who put the future over everything and what did he get for it, he didn't even have the job for 3 seasons. so if it looks like the playoffs might happen, they'll go for it.
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#145 » by ChaosHamster » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:01 pm

robillionaire wrote:Dirk Nowitzki was ranked #97 and he's still better than Melo and half the players over him but nobody is crying about that. I'm tired of the whining and complaining year after year after year. Go play some winning basketball or shut up already

Dirk is done.

He is the worst version of Melo at this point.

If people think Melo can't move, they didn't watch Dirk last year.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,481

Post#146 » by j4remi » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:02 pm

god shammgod wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

i think any gm will feel the pressure to make the playoffs after the team missing it for years. the problem with being a gm is that you often have to put job security over the long term goals of the franchise. you might have all this grand plans for reshaping the franchise but what does it matter if you don't have the job. he makes the playoffs and he buy himself a while to be in charge. so almost everybody is gonna act out of self interest in that case. hinkie was a guy who put the future over everything and what did he get for it, he didn't even have the job for 3 seasons. so if it looks like the playoffs might happen, they'll go for it.

He might tighten up on the NTC if the Knicks are having some success too (barring a deal to Houston). Maybe, just maybe though, a contender can convince him to hang out for half a season as a tryout by the time the deadline hits.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,005

Post#147 » by Pharmcat » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:17 pm

Clyde Frazier wrote:
Read on Twitter

Beck hit the nail on the head. They troll fans to get clicks, reactions, etc. Then you have the contingent of the media who salivates at a chance to ridicule melo. This isn’t about where you think he ranks. It’s about the fact that melo continues to be a cheap punching bag for those who don’t have anything better to say.

yes sir, this is a typical tactic they use. They have whole days worth of shows to fill, just like FS1 does. These debate shows are actually cheaper to produce than a sportscenter type show. But you still need content to fill the air time, so they do these rankings to talk about. Its the same thing with these shady sources to make up news report so they can put it on their website and then they talk about it in the air.
F N 11
RealGM
And1: 61,706

Post#148 » by F N 11 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:19 pm

god shammgod wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
K P 6 wrote:Melo cursed in his post about the rank. Oh chit, he usually keeps his cool.

Best time to trade him. Knicks FO would of successfully done what Phil could not do.
CEO of the not trading RJ club.
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,616

Post#149 » by Billy Goat » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:31 pm

fatalogic wrote:I don't care that much but I think putting rookies in front of all-stars is just disrespectful. At least let rookies play one damn game in the NBA before singing their praises.

I dont think anyone would bat an eye at say Leonard Fournette being ranked ahead of Adrian Peterson in a 2017 NFL rankings list.
ChaosHamster
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,864

Post#150 » by ChaosHamster » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:40 pm

Porzingis made top30 :clown:
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,451

Post#151 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:39 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:How you go from 31 to 64 when your season wasn't that bad?

It's all Phil's fault.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,451

Post#152 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:40 pm

ChaosHamster wrote:Porzingis made top30 :clown:

Bahaha.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#153 » by moocow007 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:42 pm

ChaosHamster wrote:Porzingis made top30 :clown:

Still, he'd probably be 5-7 spots higher if he wasn't on the Knicks.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#154 » by moocow007 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:50 pm

god shammgod wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

i think any gm will feel the pressure to make the playoffs after the team missing it for years. the problem with being a gm is that you often have to put job security over the long term goals of the franchise. you might have all these grand plans for reshaping the franchise but what does it matter if you don't have the job. he makes the playoffs and he buys himself a while to be in charge. so almost everybody is gonna act out of self interest in that case. hinkie was a guy who put the future over everything and what did he get for it, he didn't even have the job for 3 seasons. so if it looks like the playoffs might happen, they'll go for it.

That's what I'm afraid of. It's the same mentality that the Knicks had in the late 70's and early 80's.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#155 » by blueNorange » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:55 pm

melo is:

- terrible defensively
- doesn't pass
- shoots for a low percentage
- is old

this is normal, as a player ages his stock in the nba plummets.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#156 » by blueNorange » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:01 pm

BeagleBoss wrote:Does anyone know where Melo ranked defensively? I bet he's in the 400s. : /

out of small forwards melo was the 65th worst defensive small forward out of 70.

out of every player in the nba, melo was the 421st worst defensive player out of 468.

so to sum everything up, melo sucks and is definitely the 64th best player in the nba. :lol:
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
battabing10
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#157 » by battabing10 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:17 pm

moocow007 wrote:
K P 6 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
Oh I do hope that Hoodie Melo carries into the season.

My mind wants Melo to Ball out and we are good but my heart wants to see what the youth can do under pressure. The fact is Melo wont be here much longer. Balling out on this team does nothing for the future. My opinion.

I want him to ball out so teams work harder to get the assets needed to send to NY in a trade. Anthony turns Hoodie Melo into a regular thing, Portland, OKC and/or NO play great...we get some serious assets by shipping him to one of them...everyone moves on. The Knicks can survive having him on the team. Porzingis looks like he's full steam peacocking so I'm not really worried about him being stalled. Frank's game isn't the type to be stalled by Anthony. If anything it will press Frank into even more work and a faster track to develop (as a wing defender to compensate). If we were talking DSJ then ok maybe. Hardaway? Look. If Hardaway was the type of player to plan futures around then folks wouldn't have been as incredulous about his contract. Hardaway is a scorer, he knows what to do and it's what he's already been doing. He's not going to be deterred or defer enough to cramp is offensive game.

I don't get the Hoodie Melo reference. Is he basically Dad Melo?
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#158 » by moocow007 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:23 pm

battabing10 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:
K P 6 wrote:My mind wants Melo to Ball out and we are good but my heart wants to see what the youth can do under pressure. The fact is Melo wont be here much longer. Balling out on this team does nothing for the future. My opinion.

I want him to ball out so teams work harder to get the assets needed to send to NY in a trade. Anthony turns Hoodie Melo into a regular thing, Portland, OKC and/or NO play great...we get some serious assets by shipping him to one of them...everyone moves on. The Knicks can survive having him on the team. Porzingis looks like he's full steam peacocking so I'm not really worried about him being stalled. Frank's game isn't the type to be stalled by Anthony. If anything it will press Frank into even more work and a faster track to develop (as a wing defender to compensate). If we were talking DSJ then ok maybe. Hardaway? Look. If Hardaway was the type of player to plan futures around then folks wouldn't have been as incredulous about his contract. Hardaway is a scorer, he knows what to do and it's what he's already been doing. He's not going to be deterred or defer enough to cramp is offensive game.

Hoodie Melo refers to a fan/media hype that is making rounds in social media where Anthony, dressed in a hoodie, has been playing some very impressive looking ball this offseason. Folks are equating the hoodie that he's wearing (what I have in both my sig and av) as being the reason for his play. It's gotten so much cover that NBA2K18 is rumored to be adding a Hoodie Melo version of Anthony to the game that would have a ranking of 98 (see my sig). 98 would be the highest ranking player in the game (Lebron has a 97 ranking). A few folks have even suggested that the NBA allow Anthony to play with a hoodie in game lol (apparently no rule against it). So it's really just referencing the hype. Do I believe it? Nope...but since it's popular it's fun to spoof it a lot of folks are using it. So when we reference a "good" Anthony (or what we hope he can do this season) we often refer to it as "Hoodie Melo".
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#159 » by Ignitowsky » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:36 pm

robillionaire wrote:Dirk Nowitzki was ranked #97 and he's still better than Melo and half the players over him but nobody is crying about that. I'm tired of the whining and complaining year after year after year. Go play some winning basketball or shut up already

It says nothing to do with playing winning basketball or a Dirk Nowitzki or people complaining about his ranking or not. This has to do with the ongoing campaign of disrespect for the Knicks by ESPN that has existed 4 years now. Some of it has been deserved, but to rent Carmelo Anthony at number 63 the kid that's never played in NBA game and guys like Eric Gordon and Harrison Barnes and I can name any others is just completely disrespectful and blatantly anti Knicks. ESPN knows that doing things like this will create web traffic for them and make more money for them. It has nothing to do with real life or actual rankings. Many of the people on this board are more knowledgeable than some of the so-called experts on ESPN. They can go screw themselves.
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
battabing10
Rookie
And1: 357

Post#160 » by battabing10 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:46 pm

moocow007 wrote:
battabing10 wrote:
moocow007 wrote:

Hoodie Melo refers to a fan/media hype that is making rounds in social media where Anthony, dressed in a hoodie, has been playing some very impressive looking ball this offseason. Folks are equating the hoodie that he's wearing (what I have in both my sig and av) as being the reason for his play. It's gotten so much cover that NBA2K18 is rumored to be adding a Hoodie Melo version of Anthony to the game that would have a ranking of 98 (see my sig). 98 would be the highest ranking player in the game (Lebron has a 97 ranking). A few folks have even suggested that the NBA allow Anthony to play with a hoodie in game lol (apparently no rule against it). So it's really just referencing the hype. Do I believe it? Nope...but since it's popular it's fun to spoof it a lot of folks are using it. So when we reference a "good" Anthony (or what we hope he can do this season) we often refer to it as "Hoodie Melo".

Ah okay thanks for the info. I don't get these sorts of memos :lol:

Return to New York Knicks