Thunder Hire Rob Hennigan

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Thunder Hire Rob Hennigan 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:13 pm

The Oklahoma City Thunder have hired Rob Hennigan.

Hennigan was general manager of the Orlando Magic from 2012 until 2017.

Hennigan previously worked for the Thunder before joining the Magic.

Via Michael Scotto/Basketball Insiders

Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,962

Re: Thunder Hire Rob Hennigan 

Post#2 » by Cassius » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:39 pm

Thunder immediately trade for three non floor spacing centers
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
unclewai
Sophomore
And1: 353

Post#3 » by unclewai » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:08 pm

Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#4 » by Sam195 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:22 pm

This guy did an awful job as magic gm - he waited too long on the D12 trade where the lakers sent a lot more valuable picks (their 2018 first rounder) in a steve nash sign and trade which Magic could have got. He overpaid for Serge Ibaka at the 2016 nba draft and then flipped him before the 2017 trade deadline for pennies on the dollar. He also signed Bismack Byombo to ridiculous contract based on one raptors playoff run also despite already having a surplus of bigs. Paid Jeff Green 15M for a one year lost season he is now playing for veteran's minimum. His only good moves were flipping Aaron Afflalo for Evan Fournier and then later extending Fournier to a fair 5 year 85M contract. Lol then again he drafted Mario Hezonja lol.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#5 » by LloydFree » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:37 pm

Good to see the Good Ol' boy network isn't dead.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,450

Post#6 » by gom » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:39 pm

Well, I wish him luck, but he was terrible for the Magic.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
Ferulci
Starter
And1: 2,263

Post#7 » by Ferulci » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:26 pm

So the Oladipo/Ibaka deal was Hennigan job interview. Inside job at its finest
buckboy wrote:
jg77 wrote:Lavine is my dark horse MVP candidate.

That is the darkest horse that has ever galloped.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#8 » by Sam195 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:09 pm

Ferulci wrote:So the Oladipo/Ibaka deal was Hennigan job interview. Inside job at its finest

Well some people believe Oladipo was seeking a max extension from the Magic and wouldn't negotiate a penny less so he got traded and even okc overpaid him at the height of the cap bubble at 4 years 84M. Luckily for Presti - Pacers were a mess and their new GM was high took back Oladpio's albatross deal along with a draft bust in Sabonis for a superstar in Paul George even as a 1 season rental. OKC if they feel PG won't resign might be able to flip him at the trade deadline say to a desperate cavs squad looking for another ring for a better return than what they gave up. However, reports are Westbrook has refused to sign his supermax extension to help nullify that scenario of a PG flip and they play out the season. Then OKC could see PG and Russ sign as ufas to the lakers together next summer. The OKC market becomes a disaster and the team relocates back to Seattle as the Sonics. Lol maybe Silver and the league wants this scenario to go down.
A BETTER DJ
Sixth Man
And1: 300

Post#9 » by A BETTER DJ » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:20 pm

I thought after his last series of blunders he'd be done.
Top notch Wedding DJ and photographer available nationwide. RealGM members Save $200 off our regular low prices!

GO MAGIC!
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#10 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:41 pm

Wait, it's not like he's gonna be the GM.

Doesn't say what he's gonna do tho, Scout?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
draino231
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#11 » by draino231 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:47 pm

Maybe the Thunder were doing the exact opposite of everything he recommended while he was there and need him back to know what not to do in a potential rebuilding scenario in 2018-2019.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,533

Post#12 » by Furinkazan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:57 pm

RIP Thunder
Marvel
RealGM
And1: 14,275

Post#13 » by Marvel » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:31 pm

draino231 wrote:Maybe the Thunder were doing the exact opposite of everything he recommended while he was there and need him back to know what not to do in a potential rebuilding scenario in 2018-2019.

lmao.

Rob: "so here's what not to do"

Presti: "i got you"

lol
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,515

Post#14 » by shadrock » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:49 pm

Sam195 wrote:This guy did an awful job as magic gm - he waited too long on the D12 trade where the lakers sent a lot more valuable picks (their 2018 first rounder) in a steve nash sign and trade which Magic could have got. He overpaid for Serge Ibaka at the 2016 nba draft and then flipped him before the 2017 trade deadline for pennies on the dollar. He also signed Bismack Byombo to ridiculous contract based on one raptors playoff run also despite already having a surplus of bigs. Paid Jeff Green 15M for a one year lost season he is now playing for veteran's minimum. His only good moves were flipping Aaron Afflalo for Evan Fournier and then later extending Fournier to a fair 5 year 85M contract. Lol then again he drafted Mario Hezonja lol.

Nah you are wrong there. He was a really damn good GM for a long long time, but was getting unfair pressure to compete from ownership which meant his risk profile had to go up and well yeah, you know the rest. He absolutely nailed the Dwight Howard deal, i wont let anyone say anything else. Given the leverage he had, and the options available, he did a fantastic job on that trade.

He turned an old Aaron Afflalo into Evan Fournier, he got us Tobias Harris for a 3 mth rental of JJ Redick. His drafting was generally quite good as well.

If all you are commenting on is Serge Ibaka and Jeff Green, things that happened in the last 6 mths of his tenure, then your knowledge on Rob is seriously lacking.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#15 » by macNcheese3 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:07 pm

Looks like his old pal Presti is helping him out
JunkYardDog6ix
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,378

Post#16 » by JunkYardDog6ix » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:46 am

shadrock wrote:
Sam195 wrote:This guy did an awful job as magic gm - he waited too long on the D12 trade where the lakers sent a lot more valuable picks (their 2018 first rounder) in a steve nash sign and trade which Magic could have got. He overpaid for Serge Ibaka at the 2016 nba draft and then flipped him before the 2017 trade deadline for pennies on the dollar. He also signed Bismack Byombo to ridiculous contract based on one raptors playoff run also despite already having a surplus of bigs. Paid Jeff Green 15M for a one year lost season he is now playing for veteran's minimum. His only good moves were flipping Aaron Afflalo for Evan Fournier and then later extending Fournier to a fair 5 year 85M contract. Lol then again he drafted Mario Hezonja lol.

Nah you are wrong there. He was a really damn good GM for a long long time, but was getting unfair pressure to compete from ownership which meant his risk profile had to go up and well yeah, you know the rest. He absolutely nailed the Dwight Howard deal, i wont let anyone say anything else. Given the leverage he had, and the options available, he did a fantastic job on that trade.

He turned an old Aaron Afflalo into Evan Fournier, he got us Tobias Harris for a 3 mth rental of JJ Redick. His drafting was generally quite good as well.

If all you are commenting on is Serge Ibaka and Jeff Green, things that happened in the last 6 mths of his tenure, then your knowledge on Rob is seriously lacking.

are you on drugs ? Hennigan was a terrible GM , It's not even debatable
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,515

Post#17 » by shadrock » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:35 am

JunkYardDog6ix wrote:
shadrock wrote:

Compelling argument there buddy...

Fyi im a diehard magic fan, scrutinised every single one of his decisions and he was far from a bad gm. He had a combination of bad luck, unfair expectations from ownership, and at the end a few bad decisions which mate it easy to pin it all on him. But given what he had to work with he did a very good job.

Now unless you are going to respond with an actual fking point you can fk off now.
JunkYardDog6ix
Bench Warmer

Post#18 » by JunkYardDog6ix » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:33 pm

shadrock wrote:
JunkYardDog6ix wrote:
shadrock wrote:

Fyi im a diehard magic fan, scrutinised every single one of his decisions and he was far from a bad gm. He had a combination of bad luck, unfair expectations from ownership, and at the end a few bad decisions which mate it easy to pin it all on him. But given what he had to work with he did a very good job.

Now unless you are going to respond with an actual fking point you can fk off now.

Sam195 already stated everything that needs to be said , the Ibaka and Bismack moves were beyond terrible , no competent GM would make those moves. they didn't make any sense at the time and they make even less sense now ,these moves were on Billy King's level of incompetency , if you don't see that then no matter what point I make will be a waste of time. But whatever man it's your team , I Hope your happy with what he left you guys with :lol:
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,970

Post#19 » by p0peye » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:32 pm

JunkYardDog6ix wrote:
shadrock wrote:
JunkYardDog6ix wrote:

Sam195 already stated everything that needs to be said , the Ibaka and Bismack moves were beyond terrible , no competent GM would make those moves. they didn't make any sense at the time and they make even less sense now ,these moves were on Billy King's level of incompetency , if you don't see that then no matter what point I make will be a waste of time. But whatever man it's your team , I Hope your happy with what he left you guys with :lol:

Rob made few mistakes when his seat got hot, but Billy King he's not. Oladipo and Ibaka are not game changers and have essentially nearly identical values - so henny overpaid giving up 11th pick, only to recover with 25th several months later. Biyombo was a clear mistake, but he was building towards Frank Vogel vision of playing big and bullying teams with post defense and shot blocking.

Drafting wise, he made no mistakes that were obvious at the time. His biggest flaw by far is constantly drafting athletes who can't shoot, hoping it will develop later on. Hezonja being the biggest flop, but it wasn't like everybody expected him to bust, he was generally top 10 pick on all relevant boards and discussions with scouts/GMs and actually first pick that was supposed to be a great shooter (he's not).

Aside from Ibaka, he had very good eye for snatching talent in deals that were at first sight loopsided: he won Dwight deal getting Vucevic and pick that netted Payton and got Fournier and Tobias Harris.

When things got serious and ownership demanded playoffs, this is where everything started to crumble with bad deals (Tobias Harris for Jennings and Ilyasova) and FA signings.

In FA, he always overpaid and never got right guys.

Never considered fit when building team.
JunkYardDog6ix
Bench Warmer

Post#20 » by JunkYardDog6ix » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:06 pm

p0peye wrote:
JunkYardDog6ix wrote:
shadrock wrote:

Rob made few mistakes when his seat got hot, but Billy King he's not. Oladipo and Ibaka are not game changers and have essentially nearly identical values - so henny overpaid giving up 11th pick, only to recover with 25th several months later. Biyombo was a clear mistake, but he was building towards Frank Vogel vision of playing big and bullying teams with post defense and shot blocking.

Drafting wise, he made no mistakes that were obvious at the time. His biggest flaw by far is constantly drafting athletes who can't shoot, hoping it will develop later on. Hezonja being the biggest flop, but it wasn't like everybody expected him to bust, he was generally top 10 pick on all relevant boards and discussions with scouts/GMs and actually first pick that was supposed to be a great shooter (he's not).

Aside from Ibaka, he had very good eye for snatching talent in deals that were at first sight loopsided: he won Dwight deal getting Vucevic and pick that netted Payton and got Fournier and Tobias Harris.

When things got serious and ownership demanded playoffs, this is where everything started to crumble with bad deals (Tobias Harris for Jennings and Ilyasova) and FA signings.

In FA, he always overpaid and never got right guys.

Never considered fit when building team.

I think your last sentence says it all , fitting a roster together is a GM's most important job and the magic roster last year was a complete joke in terms of fit and probably stunted the development of players like Aaron Gordon. He's definitely not Billy King but the moves he made in the past year highlight his inability to put together any type of winning team together.

Return to Wiretap Discussion