ImageImageImage

Is anyone else as excited as I am about Kyrie?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Scarletfire81
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,423

Re: RE: Re: Is anyone else as excited as I am about Kyrie? 

Post#121 » by Scarletfire81 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:14 pm

HoopsMalone wrote:
aim2please wrote:I don't get this thread. Better question would be is anyone else bummed that Celtics traded for Kyrie. Because most of the forum is thrilled that C's got a big name. It's weird and it makes me feel like an alien.

Don't wanna beat the same drum over and over again, but in my mind, other than Westbrook, Irving is the most overrated player in the league. Both are good players, but public perceives them as superstars. I bet majority here thinks that Irving is better than Hayward, which is laughable when you include defense.

Maybe I'm missing the big picture (for example: this is step one before getting Davis next summer) but in vacuum, other than age, I can't find a single reason why Kyrie would be the 'star' you trade for.

Worst thing for me, on a personal level, is rooting for someone who doesn't have a single trait that fits the so-called Celtics' way. Team first mentality, selflessness, not caring about personal accolades/willing to sacrifice for something bigger... To me, he's the PG version of Kobe, interested only in what's best for Kyrie. Brand, scoring tittles, selling shoes, movies etc.

Then the whole Earth is flat thing.. Hard to take seriously someone who believes in a conspiracy theory that's debunkable in 5 minutes. You think this guy is interested in advanced stats and/or rest science?

Celtics will be good but not because Kyrie is a beast. Sadly, he'll get most of the credit because he'll take the most shots.

BTW, I hope I'm dead wrong on this one and that we can all laugh at my posts in the future. That would mean that Kyrie evolved as a player. I don't like the odds.

This post is spot on. We just saw jimmy butler get traded for a song.

The Celtics had a freaking war chest of assets. They could have traded for ANY player in the league. Easily. They had enough to offer to get ANYONE.

And they locked in on Kyrie? A top ~10 PG at a deep position that just had FIVE guys go in the top 9 picks?

Why not use that war chest to get a defensive centerpiece, a 2way wing, an elite PG instead?

Sent from my SM-N920V using RealGM mobile app

Sorry you couldn't be more wrong. The celtics didn't give up as much as it appears. IT is hurt and on the last year of his contract, his value is not high at all. Jae Crowder is a decent player but he will be coming off the bench in Cleveland. Zizic is unknown and the pick is unknown, the pick may be in the top five but maybe not. That's a war chest?
Scarletfire81
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,423

Re: Is anyone else as excited as I am about Kyrie? 

Post#122 » by Scarletfire81 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:18 pm

Yes Kyrie has flaws but so does every player. I saw him destroy the celtics in the playoffs. He is definetly a player you want come playoff time. Anybody saying otherwise hasn't watched basketball or is jealous the celtics are on the rise. Also Ainge knows more than most people about talent.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,281

Post#123 » by chrisab123 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:53 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Bostondave wrote:Hmmm....interesting. Bird was slow, unathletic and couldn't jump. Lets see if we can agree on that much or if there's more than a little cultish hero worship going on here.

Can make the same type of horrible argument against Tom Brady.

Brady Bird Bogut all interchangeable all the same player. Theis and Hayward too. Throw Edelman in there as well. All the same type of player regardless of sport.
Vee-Rex
Starter
And1: 2,666

Post#124 » by Vee-Rex » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:57 pm

I thought this was pretty cool.

Read on Twitter
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#125 » by truth18 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:23 pm

Vee-Rex wrote:I thought this was pretty cool.

Read on Twitter

It's not. It's horrible art from a technical perspective and extremely cringey/corny on top of that.

Did you forget what "cool" means? Maybe folks from Ohio never knew?
YOU LOSE
Fidel Sarcasmo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#126 » by Fidel Sarcasmo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:26 pm

I think it's cool. So critical Truth...
truth18
RealGM

Post#127 » by truth18 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:30 pm

Fidel Sarcasmo wrote:I think it's cool.

Why? I'll wait.

YOU LOSE
LuckyLeprechaun
Rookie
And1: 1,333

Re: RE: Re: Is anyone else as excited as I am about Kyrie? 

Post#128 » by LuckyLeprechaun » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:31 pm

HoopsMalone wrote:Butler got traded for nothing. The #3 pick and Crowder/Zizic doesn't get that deal done?! What if you throw in the Memphis pick? Yabusuele?

Be serious...

Chicago's thinking was Dunn=Jaylen, Levine=Crowder or bradley, #7=lotto pick they wanted in 2017 draft.

Besides which, if we didn't give up around 3m more in salary than we were taking back, Hayward wasn't possible.

We couldn't take salary back in a trade until after we signed him. They were both traded before we signed him. It's not rocket science. I'm baffled that you can't grasp it.
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Is anyone else as excited as I am about Kyrie? 

Post#129 » by HoopsMalone » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:26 pm

LuckyLeprechaun wrote:
HoopsMalone wrote:Butler got traded for nothing. The #3 pick and Crowder/Zizic doesn't get that deal done?! What if you throw in the Memphis pick? Yabusuele?

Be serious...

Chicago's thinking was Dunn=Jaylen, Levine=Crowder or bradley, #7=lotto pick they wanted in 2017 draft.

Besides which, if we didn't give up around 3m more in salary than we were taking back, Hayward wasn't possible.

We couldn't take salary back in a trade until after we signed him. They were both traded before we signed him. It's not rocket science. I'm baffled that you can't grasp it.

You got plenty of guys you could dump to clear more space

Vee-Rex
Starter
And1: 2,666

Post#130 » by Vee-Rex » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:38 pm

truth18 wrote:

Read on Twitter

It's not. It's horrible art from a technical perspective and extremely cringey/corny on top of that.

Ha - I'm a Dragonball Z stan so anything like this gets me all giddy inside.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Post#131 » by Captain_Caveman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:42 pm

chrisab123 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
Bostondave wrote:Hmmm....interesting. Bird was slow, unathletic and couldn't jump. Lets see if we can agree on that much or if there's more than a little cultish hero worship going on here.

Brady Bird Bogut all interchangeable all the same player. Theis and Hayward too. Throw Edelman in there as well. All the same type of player regardless of sport.

Right on...? Just making the point that, like Bird, Brady is also lacking in pure athleticism. Not a good way to look at either player. Both are homicidally-competitive champions.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,281

Post#132 » by chrisab123 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:25 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
chrisab123 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:

Right on...? Just making the point that, like Bird, Brady is also lacking in pure athleticism. Not a good way to look at either player. Both are homicidally-competitive champions.

I agree. Just making light of the constant narrative by the poster that an athlete is interchangeable and the same player because he's white.
Writebloc
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,615

Post#133 » by Writebloc » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:25 pm

truth18 wrote:

Why? I'll wait.

Some things are allowed to be subjectively "cool" right? One man's trash, is another man's treasure and all that? Art in itself has a completely personal appeal. You maybe a purveyor of "cool," but that doesn't mean you are judge and jury for others' proclivities. I for one like the overall theme of the illustration, the depiction of the two young gun Celtics gunning for the grizzled and veteran Cavaliers, with LeBron portrayed as the overlord, if you will, with the enhanced breast plate, guarding the recovering IT. I like the reimagining of the basketball players as these cyberpunk heroes. The color palate of the background is a bit one note,but it does help Kyrie, Gordon, and LeBron pop, but it does muddle IT in stasis recovery, (maybe on purpose?) The drawings of Kyrie and Gordon aren't particularly strong, (especially Hayward, who looks a bit Asian,) but the LeBron portrait is nuanced with a characterizing scowl and furrowed brow. It will never hang in the Louvre, but for an internet meme it isn't a terrible as you are dismissing it to be.

This one is pretty funny...
truth18
RealGM

Post#134 » by truth18 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:30 pm

Writebloc wrote:
truth18 wrote:

Why? I'll wait.

Some things are allowed to be subjectively "cool" right?

No. Anime isn't cool. It never will be.

I say this as a huge fan of Lain and Cowboy Bebop.

Recent work by the same artist:

So cool.

Vee Rex can't help it as an Ohian though. I get it.

Spoiler:
Jesus **** I need the season to start.
YOU LOSE
Writebloc
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,615

Post#135 » by Writebloc » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:39 pm

truth18 wrote:
Writebloc wrote:
truth18 wrote:
Why? I'll wait.

So cool.

Spoiler:

truth18
RealGM

Post#136 » by truth18 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:41 pm

Writebloc wrote:
truth18 wrote:
Writebloc wrote:

So cool.

Spoiler:

If that talentless POS lil Uzi can't make anime cool no one can. People love that dude. I'm just telling you how it is.

Lou Reed couldn't make a fanny pack cool if he was in Antarctica. Anime is the fanny pack of film/television.
YOU LOSE
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,621

Post#137 » by Green89 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:44 pm

Read on Twitter
/video/1
OFWGKTA
General Manager
And1: 12,141

Post#138 » by OFWGKTA » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:45 pm

Green89 wrote:
Read on Twitter
/video/1

Summary for the videos blocked at work guy?
Froob wrote:Friends is like Kyle Lowry, everyone says it's amazing but you sit down and watch it and you're just like meh...

GuyClinch wrote: Regulation is mostly to blame - also excessive medical costs.
ajones9219
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,575

Post#139 » by ajones9219 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:47 pm

Vee-Rex wrote:
truth18 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Ha - I'm a Dragonball Z stan so anything like this gets me all giddy inside.

I personally think it's cool artwork
truth18
RealGM

Post#140 » by truth18 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:49 pm

OFWGKTA wrote:
Green89 wrote:
Read on Twitter
/video/1

Summary for the videos blocked at work guy?

He's impressed that Kyrie turned down continuing to play with one of the best players ever and knowingly put a large amount of media pressure on himself by doing so. Basically saying that took a lot of balls as he will be expected to succeed now. He was also impressed that he had enough confidence in himself to make that choice knowing the Cavs could have sent him anywhere.
YOU LOSE

Return to Boston Celtics